new rules etc.

Hi there, have some questions for the nice people of SI!

Will the new fifa rule be implemented in the game (6+5), I believe it starts in 2010!

And what about the changes in the Champions League, anounced by Platini,

I think they have place from next year on!!!

And my last question but surely not my least (for me that is),

the competition in Belgium (2009-2010) will be with less teams and playoffs.

Will this be implemented in the game, cause this is really a sure thing!!!

keep up the good work,

Robin

I think the Belgium competition will be updated because its official.

The other rules won't be in because they are not official.

Indeed.

Is the 6+5 rule even in place and confirmed yet? I would imagine it would be extremily hard to get that through the EU employment courts, and the courts of human rights.

Competition rules will be in place, as long as they are confirmed and official.

The 6+5 rule is not even legal. Well, thats what I've heard but like you said - it would have to go throught the courts to get it implemented.

The truth is I have only heard of it due to a couple of post by people on this board. However, the first thing I though of was the legality of it.

Fifa could always set up a opt out of "local" rules via a Collective Bargaining Agreement much like the way it is done in the states with their contracts etc. It is this opt out that allows a draftee to only negotiate with the team that drafted him. A blatant contradiction to labour laws in 99% of the world.

The 6+5 rule will definitely NOT be included in FM09. Can't remember who officially replied from SI, but there you are. It was mooted when it was first suggested. The rule isn't ratified; it's just an idea that Blatter vommitted up without realising it's probably not legal in Europe (restriction of trade). He MIGHT get it through in relation to non-EU players but unless he can overturn the EU Treaty it won't be possible to implement.

Any rule changes that were announced in time to be programmed will be included in FM09 if previous years are anything to go by.

The way they were thinking about getting round the EU rules was by using something similar to the 'Home Grown' player rule from the Champs League.

i.e. 6 of your first team must have been trained for 3 years in your country between the ages of 18-21 (I don't think that's exactly right, but you get the point).

I'm furiously holding back an anti-Blatter/Platini rant here, but if this is how the rule was implemented then it would encourage big teams to poach youth (a la Arsenal) which was one of the things Blatter has previously moaned about. Rather than treading old ground here, I'll just say that the rule would be a disaster for numerous other reasons.

No rules can discriminate against european players anyway, and they tend to make up the majority of foreign players.

The best they can do is a champions league style "home grown" or "nation grown" system, but even that will just encourage talented young footballers to move to one of the big countries at a young age.

Okay, Wikipedia states that the 6+5 rule has been adopted by FIFA and the schedule to implement it, are as follows:

The objective is to have an incremental implementation starting at the beginning of the 2010-2011 season to give clubs time to adjust their teams over a period of several years:

1. 4+7 for 2010-2011

2. 5+6 for 2011-2012

3. 6+5 for 2012-2013

So... It's agreed I guess.

Edit: I didn't read everything appearantly :D

FIFA are atm supporting the 6+5 rule, and have plans to make it effective (look. previous calender), but so far the 6+5 rule has been rejected by the European Union (as some people have already pointed out), claiming it to be illegal.

How is it illegal. They can sign as many foreigners as they like but just can't play them in games, is that illegal!

It's in coflict with some rules in the EC treaty (Article 39 to be specific) and the Bosman ruling... I started to look into that EC treaty thing, but after reading a bit, I found out that I couldn't be a*sed to care that much about it...

I really can't think of a single reason why the 6+5 rule would be illegal, but it's not like the EU is known for making sense anyway.

A team can have as many foreigners as they like, they all can train with the team, but they can't necessarily all play at the same time. As far as I know, playing in games is not everything in the life of a football-player. As long as they can train with the team and get paid for it, there is no conflict with any kind of labour law.

If sitting on the bench is enough to be considered as limit on the choice of workplace, than it could really screw up football completely. Think about it. Every player who sits for one game could demand that his contract is dissolved immediately, because by sitting on the bench he is prevented from doing his job as it works according to the EU.

It's time that sports get an exemption anyway. No need for the EU to screw up sports completely.

How is it illegal. They can sign as many foreigners as they like but just can't play them in games, is that illegal!

A double glazing firm can employ as many salespeople from anywhere in the EU as it likes but only only 45% of the foreigners they employ are allowed to sell stuff at any one time.

Fair?

How is it illegal?

If you are from the EU, as far as any employee is concerned, you are to be "EU citizen", not "English" or "French".

The second a club can only play x "French" players at a time, they are differentiating between "English" and "French".

It's a restriction of trade because a "foreign" player takes up one of five places, while an English player takes up one of eleven (as 11 english would be fine in 6+5). Therefore, they are placed at a disadvantage compared to an English player. They would find it harder to get the same job. Therefore it's a restraint of trade.

The 6+5 rule is on dodgy legal ground if it tries to stop clubs within the EU from fielding players from countries in the EU. In terms of employment, there are no borders in the EU. We are free to settle and work in any EU country. (In practice, Romania and Bulgaria do not yet have the same level of freedom in this area as yet). 6+5 would not be illegal with regard to non-EU nationals, however.

Really? Didn't know that, what are the changes?

All European competitions have been changed from next season onwards. The Intertoto cup is finished and more teams enter the UEFA Cup. The UEFA Cup has 4 qualifying rounds instead of 2. The Champions League is different only different in the qualifying rounds. There will be a seperate qualification section for champions of countries who must enter the qualifying rounds and non-champions who enter the qualifying rounds like the 4th placed English team. There will be more league champions in the tournament because of this. That is the basic jist of it.

Nils - brilliant post!

Simply said, It won't be in FM09 since it's not in the FIFA laws of the game / regulations yet.

I won't go into Blatter/FIFA rants (justified) or the pros and cons of the rule, just keep in mind:

FIFA = Global

EU = European

EU will not be able to force it's rules on the other 150+ FIFA coutnries/federations.

That's not the point. The EU has no interest in 'forcing its rules on the other 150+ FIFA countries'. Its concern is that there are laws within the EU that allow for the freedom of people to work and settle without hindrance in any EU member-state. This is where the 6+5 rule is on dodgy ground, as it places constraints on the freedom of EU citizens to do just that. But the EU has no interest in whether a Brazilian is restricted from playing in the Egyptian league, for example.

Please stop discussing the 6+5 rule, it is NOT confirmed, I repeat, NOT CONFIRMED BY FIFA. Stop discussing it, please. I am 100 percent sure.

Yeah I don't think it has been agreed yet and I don't think it ever will be. As other people have said it's a conflict between the EU freedom and Movements rights. And going onto another thing, Is it just me that thinks Sepp Blatter is an absolute waste of space and should be kicked out? Just like Lord Triesman? They're useless.

Archived