5 things i hope FM 09 gets rid of...

1. the dodgy cartoony morphed faces. all i can ask is why? its actually stopped me buying players because of their grotesque ugliness.

2. the tired old match commentary. come on SI, im sure theres better comments than," player y kicks it into row z"

3. the 'blobs' match engine. it was a revelation 5 years ago to the decidedly dodgy spreadsheet graphics but come on. even pacman looks graphically better now.

4. the same old transfer system. lets face it, how many 'managers' nowadays get to actually negotiate the fees for a player or their wages? move with the times.

5. yet another sprussed up transfer update to last years flawed game. we are owed more than that. lets face it, we havent had any decent or revolutionary improvements since CM99/00. im all for "if its not broke dont fix it", but come on!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I actually like facegen but it is optional. You can turn them off

2. Commentary doesn't bother me.

3. Graphically, I think the match engine is fine. I would prefer if it was improved internally.

4. Transfer system definitely needs improving.

5. FM is still a great game and I certainly find it playable. There is no doubt, though that some areas need to be improved like media, transfers, etc.

1. I don't mind the faces, gives my regens an actual 'face' and makes them more believable as people so i like it

2. I agree, the commentry can get repetitive, would be happy to see some more phrases, but, occassionaly things do still appear which i hadn't seen before (like when it say "Surely he can't miss" and he actually doesn't!!)

3. I think the only improvement needed with the graphics is some depth, it would be easier to see if my CB was simply being outjumped, or if he is being outpositioned.

4. Transfer system needs a serious overall, but, i still find i can get most of the players i want within a couple of seasons. It's not hard to have players like Ricards, Johnson, Walcott, Downing, Dos Santos, Messi etc by 2011.

5. FM will always be the best as far as i am concerned, and i will always play the latest, and past versions.

Of course the game has areas to improve, if it didn't we would never see a new one and the franchise would die. long live FM!

1. I actually like facegen but it is optional. You can turn them off

2. Commentary doesn't bother me.

3. Graphically, I think the match engine is fine. I would prefer if it was improved internally.

4. Transfer system definitely needs improving.

5. FM is still a great game and I certainly find it playable. There is no doubt, though that some areas need to be improved like media, transfers, etc.

wow, your easily pleased comrade. i love FM too but is it too much to ask from game makers for a much improved version of a game rather than an updated version one. i think not for our £25.

1. Improvments to the Injury system. I hate it when a player gets the green cross on the field, and I don't know what he has or if I have to subtitute him. Maybe he just got his nose kicked or maybe he has some ankle problems and I really need to change him...

2. I like the 2D engine. I would like it a bit improved.

3. A nicer green skin, or a CM4 skin. I loved that skin. This new "white/red" skin is so sad (and yes, I know I can change it).

4. Some new comentaries would be really nice.

wow, your easily pleased comrade. i love FM too but is it too much to ask from game makers for a much improved version of a game rather than an updated version one. i think not for our £25.

There are criticisms to be made, but...

1. Turn FaceGen off?

2. It serves it's purpose effectively enough. It could be improved, but certainly not a priority surely?

3. It's been 5+ years yes, however as many of the FML folk will tell you it again serves it's purpose effectively.

4. FM has always strived to be realistic, but it would take any essence of fun out of the game if we simply handed a shortlist into our chairman and they came back with the results. That aside only a handful of people on these boards (if any) truly know how transfers are handled. The media only goes so far and are notorious for bending the truth.

When it comes to getting with the times, many of the big name transfers seem to be a process of attrition often fought in the board rooms via the media. Man Utd and Robbie Keane seem to epitomise this point a little bit, seemingly a very drawn out process unlike the quick skirmishes seen in FM08.

It would be nice to see two clubs able to leave their respective offers on the table (bid/ask) and potentially see clubs fold as the window draws to a close.

5. How much revolutionary would you like to get with regards to football management games?

I think the only revolution we've seen in recent years is the introduction of ProZone in CM, that aside it's been a fairly evolutionary process for the big 3 (CM/FM/FifaM).

If you were to take the transfers out of the hands of the manager it would hurt the game in a big way. Sure its getting more and more towards the board room in real life but there has to be a balance between whats realistic and whats fun. If I had no say in transfer dealings I'd be pretty annoyed and probably wouldn't play the game

It's more fun for a manager to handle the transfer than just ask his DoF to handle them for him.

I'd like to point you that in fact, with the exception of clubs with a DoF (Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea and Reading are the only English ones I know do, doubtless there are more) managers do still handle transfers.

1. the dodgy cartoony morphed faces. all i can ask is why? its actually stopped me buying players because of their grotesque ugliness.

2. the tired old match commentary. come on SI, im sure theres better comments than," player y kicks it into row z"

3. the 'blobs' match engine. it was a revelation 5 years ago to the decidedly dodgy spreadsheet graphics but come on. even pacman looks graphically better now.

4. the same old transfer system. lets face it, how many 'managers' nowadays get to actually negotiate the fees for a player or their wages? move with the times.

5. yet another sprussed up transfer update to last years flawed game. we are owed more than that. lets face it, we havent had any decent or revolutionary improvements since CM99/00. im all for "if its not broke dont fix it", but come on!

Here's a suggestion, if you don't like it, don't play it! Turn your computer off, walk away & stop bitching like a little girl on a forum.

The OP something of a dissapointment - the thread title promised so much more. Here's 5 things I hope FM09 gets rid of:

1) Old players signing for clubs on free transfers on good wages, only to never play for that club (e.g. Crystal Palace signed 34 year old Steve Sidwell on £8,450 a week - their second highest paid player - and he didn't play one game in the whole season. This happens a lot).

2) Corner super cheat. I don't do it in my club games, but I do it in my England games - Micah Richards has scored 43 goals for England so far.

3) The board confidence not being happy when they should be, though this was greatly improved in 8.0.2.

4) Regen bug - there's an excellent thread on here somewhere which highlights certain attribute defficiencies among regens.

5) Depreciation bug - as has been highlighted many times before, once players hit 30 they deteriorate too rapidly.

I hate Facegen. I don't even see why the real players need to be accompanied by their real photographs. It just irritates me. However, it's not hard to turn them off, which I guess means I can be happy and those who like Facegen and the pictures can also be happy.

Yeah, the commentary can sometimes be a little archaic, but I don't really focus on it so it doesn't bother me. I'm not sure it even matters that much what the commentary says.

For me, the match engine is just a means to an end. We need just so we can have a clear representation of what is going on, so that we can act on it. When you only had commentary, you didn't have this. I feel that the 'blobs' are adequate for this and, at least for now, I'd rather SI worked on ironing out its imperfections than on replacing it with something else.

I agree. The transfer system is far from perfect and increasingly outdated.

I'm not entirely sure what you're wanting here. I was pretty happy with the 8.0.2. update. I'm not sure what 'revolutionary improvements' are necessary.

Agreed, they are a bit irritating, but no big deal as you can switch them off.

Does need a bit of a tidy up, but I think most people probably watch the highlights so there is no real need to take any notice of the commentary.

The blobs are fine and a far better representation of realistic football than anything else out there. True match representation must always come before graphical fluffyness i.e. we don't want it to suck like Fifa Manager just so it can be pleasing on the eye.

Um, I would say probably a majority of managers have input in wages etc, I don't think you're right at all. Anyhow, we have to have a marker line between realism/simulation/gaming, if you take transfer fees and wages out of the equation just to make it realistic, you lose an integral part of the game and one of the things a lot of people find incredibly enjoyable.

That's just not true.

All in all, I think most of the things you mention are either avoidable or not really that big a deal when compared to other things that need added or fixed.

I think the search thing needs improving. When your looking for someone, e.g. say there was a player called "Jorda". I would type in that and there would be list of Jordan x, or y Jordan. I think the closest match should show up first.

Ryan,,,

Surely the current system is helpful for people who can't remember a players name etc, e.g. if you can't remember whether it's Jordi or Jorda, Jord will bring up all of them, that's pretty helpful.

I don't like the way the search sometimes doesn't just look for letters and looks for language specific characters, so i'f i'm looking for a Turkish player he might not always show up even though i've spelt it pretty much right, but don't have the language specific characters.

We had this FRench exchanged student staying with us once and he knew how to put in all these weird symbols with out doing anything to the computer. But, his parents did work for HP(not the sauce)
You mean he used wildcards? Or he simply knew the ASCII codes? Like how "û" is alt-150 here?

Wildcards would be nice though, if you know the player's name consists of 5 characters, but he has a funny character as 3rd character, but you do know the characters before and after that. There's no way in hell you're gonna get the search to find him now, unless you ask to search for the first 2 letters. Yay, I got 2 million results.

1. I too like the Facegens and having photos. The one problem here are the "grotesquely ugly" regens which don't look real at all. However alot of the British regens look alot more realistic so why can't they all be like this? I understand that they look different for a reason as people from different parts of the world do indeed look different, but people from other aprts of the world don't look like aliens.

2. It would be nice if SI threw in some new phrases. But as some others have said i'd prefer they improved other area or gave us new features instead.

3. The 'blobs' match engine fits it's purpose IMO.

4. The transfer system could do with a few updates and tweaks.

5. I don't really get point 5.

1. Improvments to the Injury system. I hate it when a player gets the green cross on the field, and I don't know what he has or if I have to subtitute him. Maybe he just got his nose kicked or maybe he has some ankle problems and I really need to change him...

2. I like the 2D engine. I would like it a bit improved.

3. A nicer green skin, or a CM4 skin. I loved that skin. This new "white/red" skin is so sad (and yes, I know I can change it).

4. Some new comentaries would be really nice.

totally agree mate. the injury situ is a pain as is the clinicaly white background.

Team talks, idiotically incorrect offside decisions just for the sake of attempting to be realistic (and failing), hopelessly bad youth players every season are 3 of the things that most come to mind that I would like FM09 to get rid of (or in the latter case to improve the quality obviously).

As for the original poster's points, I'm not too fussed about 1 - I agree the facegen faces are totally naff, but I can turn them off if I want. Commentary I couldn't care less about - it's not obvious what it is supposed to represent anyway relative to real life (is it supposed to be commentary as if you were listening on the radio, in which case why the hell are you the manager if you are listening on the radio instead of watching your team play?!). The blobs match engine representation is fine for me - I can't think of anything that would be an improvement on that - certainly not some ghastly attempt at creating shapes that look like players. Transfer system is one of those things that needs tweaking each version to try to stay with the times - SI always want as much realism as possible, but it would be a shame to take too many things out of the manager's hands unless it is the case absolutely and always in real life. As for point 5, there have been plenty of changes - nothing revolutionary perhaps and some (team talks :mad:) very much for the worse, but there are so many issues that are in need of improvement with what is already in the game (balancing the ever increasing number of factors that go into the match engine is a never ending job) that I could do without new features that can also add unparalleled levels of irritation (like team talks :mad:)

If you were to take the transfers out of the hands of the manager it would hurt the game in a big way. Sure its getting more and more towards the board room in real life but there has to be a balance between whats realistic and whats fun. If I had no say in transfer dealings I'd be pretty annoyed and probably wouldn't play the game

i totally agree. but if i was after a "fun" albeit slightly unrealistic football manager sim then i would play LMA. FM has always prided itself with 'realism' thats why the game has drastically changed since and improved its heady CM 00/01 days.

Here's a suggestion, if you don't like it, don't play it! Turn your computer off, walk away & stop bitching like a little girl on a forum.

funnily enough i thought the whole purpose of forums was to provide comments, suggestions and experiences about a game you have played and enjoyed. also to provoke healthy debate. not, i hasten to add, to try to insult others despite their opinions.

funnily enough i thought the whole purpose of forums was to provide comments, suggestions and experiences about a game you have played and enjoyed. also to provoke healthy debate. not, i hasten to add, to try to insult others despite their opinions.

Yup. It's people getting on like that, that gets the rest of us labelled as ignorant fanboys.

I don't agree with most of the things you listed, but it wasn't the sort of whingeing that was common place on here a couple of months ago.

The OP something of a dissapointment - the thread title promised so much more. Here's 5 things I hope FM09 gets rid of:

1) Old players signing for clubs on free transfers on good wages, only to never play for that club (e.g. Crystal Palace signed 34 year old Steve Sidwell on £8,450 a week - their second highest paid player - and he didn't play one game in the whole season. This happens a lot).

2) Corner super cheat. I don't do it in my club games, but I do it in my England games - Micah Richards has scored 43 goals for England so far.

3) The board confidence not being happy when they should be, though this was greatly improved in 8.0.2.

4) Regen bug - there's an excellent thread on here somewhere which highlights certain attribute defficiencies among regens.

5) Depreciation bug - as has been highlighted many times before, once players hit 30 they deteriorate too rapidly.

i agree mate with all but i do slightly enjoy the corner bug! the player after 30 decomposing thing is alarmingly stupid. has FM never heard of an indian summer?

1. Yeah I agree sometimes the Facegens do look stupid but it's hardly a major detriment to the game, especially as you have the option to turn them off. And I don't get why anyone wouldn't like having the real player photos on the game, I personally think they add a nice presentation touch to the game in the same way that the official club logos and kits do with the licensed teams and leagues.

2. I am with most other people on this that yes the commentary is quite repetitive but I think most people watch highlights so it's not really a big issue.

3. The match engine is an ends to a means as has been stated by several other people here. It does its job and quite well and the thing is it means that the game can be played on quite low-end systems because there are almost no graphical requirements for FM, unlike FIFA Manager which while looking pleasing on the eye requires a much better computer to run to a decent standard than FM does. You can tell what is happening and you can still see the action quite clearly and although it isn't 3-D some of the goals still look awesome so overall I don't think this area of the game needs changing to any large degree.

4. The transfer system is still the best in any football management simulation game in my opinion though I do agree a few tweaks and more of the media and agent involvement in the transfer market these days could be included to enhance the game experience.

5. FM is a brilliant game and even though it needs a few tweaks every year it will always be the best and most popular football management title. The game is not about revolution but evolution. SI take fans' opinions on the previous year's title and then make a conscious effort to improve the game to a better standard for the next year's version using the most popular complaints about the game from the previous year. SI's relationship with its fanbase is quite unique in the modern gaming world and you should be grateful that you can easily get in touch with and ask questions of/make suggestions to the developers. I for one buy the game every year on release and get much more than my money's worth out of the title. I find that the game is consistently well improved from year to year and I look forward to it each October. Evolution not revolution is the way to go I think. The game is popular as it is so why radically change it?

Yup. It's people getting on like that, that gets the rest of us labelled as ignorant fanboys.

I don't agree with most of the things you listed, but it wasn't the sort of whingeing that was common place on here a couple of months ago.

funnily enough mate i am an ignorant fanboy. i just want some improvements. its not too much to ask is it?

It's not too much to ask for, but there are things wrong with the game that really have to be priority before SI even think about graphics. My top 5 in no particular order would be;

1. Confidence

2. Team talks

3. Newgens

4. Definitive match report i.e. "he was offside" etc.

5. Get rid of corner glitch.

Anything after that is a bonus.

Like I said, the facegen thing is crap and i'd rather they just completely ignored it, but it wouldn't be top of the lsit to get sorted out.

5 things i hope FM 09 gets rid of...[/Quote]

1.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

2.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

3.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

4.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

5.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

funnily enough mate i am an ignorant fanboy. i just want some improvements. its not too much to ask is it?

I think Nomis was talking to you about David Sullivan in the first part, before commenting on your post. Forgive me if I meddle, but I thought you felt offended by his remark, while to me it seems like that was directed at someone else.

1.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

2.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

3.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

4.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

5.Forum users pointlessly complaining rather than giving constructive cristicism

the problem with forums are they are full of people who actually give a toss about a game theyve happily forked out cash for and have well earned the right to form an opinion about. sometimes we may not always agree with them. but i dont think they should be made to feel belittled or 'pointless'. what i do find 'pointless' is why your actually bothering to look on this forum and suggest that other peoples veiws and comments arent important or constructive. despite what some may feel, FM isnt perfect (shock, horror!), and healthy debate on how to improve it should be welcomed and applauded. espescially from genuine fans on FMs own website.

I think Nomis was talking to you about David Sullivan in the first part, before commenting on your post. Forgive me if I meddle, but I thought you felt offended by his remark, while to me it seems like that was directed at someone else.

Indeedy, lost in internet translation I suppose :D

no sorry my friend. the problem with posting is thats its open to misinterpretation. i was agreeing with him. no sarcasm was involved.

brandon,

Just don't bother replying to the posts not interested in debate, it will only destroy your thread and people won't read it because all they will see is arguments.

agreed mate. i just feel very passionately about this game and im genuinely interested in constructive opinions. its nice to find out that others feel the same as me and that hopefully SI maybe taking on board some of our gripes.

the problem with forums are they are full of people who actually give a toss about a game theyve happily forked out cash for and have well earned the right to form an opinion about. sometimes we may not always agree with them. but i dont think they should be made to feel belittled or 'pointless'. what i do find 'pointless' is why your actually bothering to look on this forum and suggest that other peoples veiws and comments arent important or constructive. despite what some may feel, FM isnt perfect (shock, horror!), and healthy debate on how to improve it should be welcomed and applauded. espescially from genuine fans on FMs own website.

I quite agree...................but this thread is just a list of people moaning about what they think is wrong with FM, rather than offering "constructive criticism."

I quite agree...................but this thread is just a list of people moaning about what they think is wrong with FM, rather than offering "constructive criticism."

Gotta disagree with that. GillsMan, Mike7077 and Glamdring all offered their opinions on what needs to be fixed in FM09 and weren't just moaning. Of course it seems like moaning because it focuses on the negative, but it's constructive because most of those users are on here quite often, obviously enjoy the game and are listing problems rather than shouting "cheat" or "bug".

A thread discussing problems with the game isn't necessarily a negative thread.

the thing that annoys me most is the board expecting too much in one season for example they express disappiontment over my poor performance in the carling cup when quite frankly i'm not intrested in it, unless i'm a mid table side looking for a spot in europe, i prefer to concentrate on the league fa and continental cups so play a reserve team go out in the third or fourth round and they get cross. Also the fans opinion on some signings can be a bit anoying especially when signing a player for the future so he doesnt play much and they hate him already. I would also like to have more interaction with my players to aid development etc. There are imo a few creases to be ironed out but other wise an awesome game and series

One of the biggest problems with fan opinions on new signings is part of the wider issue on player ratings as a substitute. When you bring a player on for the last 30 minutes he will quite often not get above the 6 rating, especially if you bring in on just for a 10 minute cameo, but this gets added to his form just like a rating for 90 minutes and this is what the fans use to judge a player so fans are constantly having a go at me for someone being a bad signing just because he has made 4 short substitute appearances without dazzling world football in the process! This gets made all the more stupid when he then puts in a couple of good performances and suddenly the fans think he is the best signing since slice bread...mind you, real life fans are as fickle as that often so maybe it is realistic!

As far as competitions go I have no objection to the board being annoyed at me losing in the Carling Cup - I object if they say I should have got to the QFs and we got drawn away to Manure in R2 or whatever which has already been mentioned, but if I put out a reserve side and get giant killed I fully expect the board to be uimpressed - just because it is a low priority to me doesn't mean it is to them, it isn't my club so I can't impose my competition priorities on the board and fans.

Regarding individual matches fans do seem a bit silly there and seem to take too little account of a away games vs home games - I've seen fans happy with me drawing at home to an opponent I think I should have beaten and being disappointed when I snatch what I consider a brilliant draw away to a better team.

It adds a bit of personality to the players. I like them. If not, you can turn them off very easily in Preferences.

IMO, it does what its there to do, describe the match. It's not really a reflection of real commentary.

I'd agree that it would be nice for a change, a look like the new CM ME would be great as long as it doesn't affect the quality of the matches played out.

Taking away the ability to do your own transfers, takes away almost all the fun IMO. Fun > Realism

Fm08 wasn't all that great but the leap from game to game is usually good. You can't expect revolutionary improvements every version, thats just silly.

I don't think I am easily pleased. I just don't agree with most of the things you listed. There are certainly not the priority, in my opinion.

1. As I said I like facegen but if you don't you can turn it off.

2. The commentary does not really bother me. If I look at it it tells me what is going on and that is all I need.

3. I would prefer improvements of how the match engine works not how it looks.

4. I agree with you about transfers and they do need significant improvement.

5. What revolutionary improvements do you want? There have been plenty of imrpvements since CM99/00. I don't want gimmicky features added just to make it look good.

You did mention transfers but there are several other things that need improving above what you said in my opinion. Media, training, regens, match engine internal improvements, long term realism of the game are things I would like to see improved as well as transfers.

Despite the need for improvements, the game is still playable. It is not like the game is no good as it currently is but as I said, like everything, it is not perfect and does need improvements.

I have to do the unthinkable and disagree with Neji on one thing here. For me, it isn't fun > realism. For me, it's more realism = more fun.

In the case of transfers, however, I fall back in line and register my agreement with him.

You can't change the match commentary, its classic. It's great fun watching a real match with friends and commentating it in the FM style like, but he puts it into orbit and when they win the game, xxx have won the !!! :D.

Other stuff, I don't use any player pictures anyway, the blobometrics is fine until they do a real big 3d thing, could take a while to get that to properly represent the match and not be a bunch of set videos or some rubbish though. Transfers could do with some work particularly the valuation of players being so dependant in which league they're playing in (see fixing Gundo's challenge thread for extreme northern Ireland example).

You can't change the match commentary, its classic. It's great fun watching a real match with friends and commentating it in the FM style like, but he puts it into orbit and when they win the game, xxx have won the !!! :D.

Other stuff, I don't use any player pictures anyway, the blobometrics is fine until they do a real big 3d thing, could take a while to get that to properly represent the match and not be a bunch of set videos or some rubbish though. Transfers could do with some work particularly the valuation of players being so dependant in which league they're playing in (see fixing Gundo's challenge thread for extreme northern Ireland example).

the commentary is just w*nk really. it hasnt changed much since i was playing the game on the amiga. eg. "*INSERT PLAYERS NAME HERE* IS WINNING EVERYTHING IN THE AIR!" rubbish, terrible and unimaginative. im all for a winning format but come on. as for the graphics, or lack of them, lets just have a look at FIFA 08. you cant tell me that small circles (blobs) running around the screen is the best we can hope for. we deserve more than a slightly tweaked update every year. dont get me wrong i love this game and have played it for years but as a loyal fans who parts with his £25 every year, i think i want and expect more.

I have to do the unthinkable and disagree with Neji on one thing here. For me, it isn't fun > realism. For me, it's more realism = more fun.

But surely you wouldn't play it if it wasn't fun, no matter how realistic it is?

But surely you wouldn't play it if it wasn't fun, no matter how realistic it is?

Of course not. I just feel that the more realism they incorporate, the more fun it is. For me, anyway. I don't claim it should be the same for everyone.

And I do agree that taking transfer dealing out of our hands would put something of a downer on it.

Archived