Football Chairman?

You have just won 10 Million on the lottery

You are wondering what you can do with all your spare time. You have a love of football but don't support any team. You decide to form your own club, You buy some land and you build a 5,000 capacity stadium with 400 seats all for £1.5M

start from the Amatuer League, you hire a manager, physio & groundsman.

You then set a budget for the manager(which would be very minimal at the start)

You try and get people to go to your matches.

You negotiate with Sponsors and advertisers(eg Advetising boards, Shirt sponsors, Team sponsors etc)

Every season you assess how the team has gone and how your manager is doing. You will also know the feelings of your supporters.

In years to come you will have other options open to you eg Floating your club on the stock exchange etc

Possibilitys of bringing in new, young and exciting players who can make it big within the football world

This is an idea that crops up every few months, and the vast majority, quite rightly, shoot it down.

I mean can you imagine how quickly being a chairman would get boring? Aside from hiring and firing the odd manager, there really isn't anything of interest worth doing.

Finances? Building a new stadium/training facilities/youth facilities/academy? Vetoing manager purchases?

There's a lot of things you can do.

It's even better if you could take on various roles not typically done by a manager.

Finances? Building a new stadium/training facilities/youth facilities/academy? Vetoing manager purchases?

It's even better if you could take on various roles not typically done by a manager.

and once those 5 minutes are up you can entertain yourself by pressing continue all the time.

Seriously there is simply not enough to do for the user to even make it mildly interesting.

and once those 5 minutes are up you can entertain yourself by pressing continue all the time.

Seriously there is simply not enough to do for the user to even make it mildly interesting.

Not if you combine it with the "traditional" managerial roles. These "chairman" or "DoF" roles could become "addons" of sorts.

Not if you combine it with the "traditional" managerial roles. These "chairman" or "DoF" roles could become "addons" of sorts.

and that would still leave very little to do within the game.

Seriously between your posts here, about difficulty and about PA I'm coming to the conclusion that you don't really know much about FM and just make it up as you go along with very little thought about the outcome.

Seriously between your posts here, about difficulty and about PA I'm coming to the conclusion that you don't really know much about FM and just make it up as you go along with very little thought about the outcome.

A little harsh maybe, but a fair comment!

Finances covers quite a lot, could you be more specific to what you would actually be able to do that could be classed as fun or interesting from a gaming perspective?

You have just won 10 Million on the lottery

You are wondering what you can do with all your spare time. You have a love of football but don't support any team. You decide to form your own club, You buy some land and you build a 5,000 capacity stadium with 400 seats all for £1.5M

start from the Amatuer League, you hire a manager, physio & groundsman.

You then set a budget for the manager(which would be very minimal at the start)

You try and get people to go to your matches.

You negotiate with Sponsors and advertisers(eg Advetising boards, Shirt sponsors, Team sponsors etc)

Every season you assess how the team has gone and how your manager is doing. You will also know the feelings of your supporters.

In years to come you will have other options open to you eg Floating your club on the stock exchange etc

Possibilitys of bringing in new, young and exciting players who can make it big within the football world

Note that the game is called football "manager"

and that would still leave very little to do within the game.

I suppose you neglected to read the quote.

'Not if you combine it with the "traditional" managerial roles.'

If you combine it with the traditional mangerial roles, then it would only be correct that "[it] would still leave very little to do within the game" if being a traditional football manager (i.e. tactics, training, team-talks, etc.) was "very little to do". In which case, your argument is a little silly because adding a little stuff to a little stuff is still "very little to do".

Of course this isn't the case. Being a manager has core functionality that clearly keeps users occupied. Adding new chairman/DoF features would give users more things to do. Certainly, a lot of users will quickly find that without managerial duties, the game becomes "Continue Manager" - in which case they will quickly adopt the managerial roles themselves.

I remember growing up playing Ultimate Soccer Manager '98 and that seemed to allow you to sort of be the Chairman (dealing with Stadiums Capacity, Sponsorships, Advertising, Merchandising Burger Prices etc...) as well as be the Manager but at the end of the day all I focused on was the Manager sides of things, I was never really interested in the Chairman side of things. That's why I love Football Manager and not interested in anything that edges over to the Chairman aspect of a game.

I would be more interested in doing something like this in real life if I ever hit it big and won the lotto. To bad owning a football club alone wouldnt provide you with much earnings. All the owners of major clubs make the majority of their money elsewhere. Their footy clubs are nothing but toys to them. Not all but you know what im getting at...

Actually, I think it could be pretty easy (or easyish) to put it into the current game. As a manager right now you are already having a big part to do with finances that I don't think a lot of managers actually have control over. Like negotiating wages, contracts, buy/sell players and dictating the fee. Unless you are of a Wenger etc, the manager would not have full control over these parts of the game (then again, I'm sure he doesn't either to 100%). Basically just adding the possibility to hire/fire managers, negotiating best possible ads/sponsors and have total control over everything that is economy and stadiums and you have a football chairman type of game. The only part you would leave behind really is actually managing the team and setting up the tactics and picking players for matchdays.

One could say that simply holidaying would do the trick. But for one, you could get fired pretty easily and two holidaying is mostly random results. Sometimes I just like to micromanaging everything and leave the actual games to the assistant, so a a chairman mode would be a welcome addition IMHO.

Actually, I think it could be pretty easy (or easyish) to put it into the current game. As a manager right now you are already having a big part to do with finances that I don't think a lot of managers actually have control over. Like negotiating wages, contracts, buy/sell players and dictating the fee. Unless you are of a Wenger etc, the manager would not have full control over these parts of the game (then again, I'm sure he doesn't either to 100%). Basically just adding the possibility to hire/fire managers, negotiating best possible ads/sponsors and have total control over everything that is economy and stadiums and you have a football chairman type of game. The only part you would leave behind really is actually managing the team and setting up the tactics and picking players for matchdays.

One could say that simply holidaying would do the trick. But for one, you could get fired pretty easily and two holidaying is mostly random results. Sometimes I just like to micromanaging everything and leave the actual games to the assistant, so a a chairman mode would be a welcome addition IMHO.

I'd prefer to do nothing but the bolded part.

This is what being a manager is all about and what most FMers could not give up. Without this, you would still have very little to do day-to-day, as many of those other things you mention may only happen once a year at most.

I remember growing up playing Ultimate Soccer Manager '98 and that seemed to allow you to sort of be the Chairman (dealing with Stadiums Capacity, Sponsorships, Advertising, Merchandising Burger Prices etc...) as well as be the Manager but at the end of the day all I focused on was the Manager sides of things, I was never really interested in the Chairman side of things. That's why I love Football Manager and not interested in anything that edges over to the Chairman aspect of a game.

USM98 was boss. "By the fans for the fans". hehe.

One of my favourite aspects of that was taking a crappy team at the bottom to the very top, as you can do in FM anyway but the main thing was watching that stadium grow from a tiny terrace area to a massive 100k seater bowl. Brilliant! Iirc you can turn off the chairman aspects of that. Now if only the damn thing (freeware now) worked on modern computers without having to seriously reroute the game through DOSboxes and other programs =/

Archived