What are you like?

On my latest save, I have decided to only buy players who are over 24 with a determination of at least 15. And players who are between 15-20, with a determination of at least 10 (as I can change this with tutoring etc)

Does anyone else have their own 'rules' or philosophy when building a squad, and what differences do you feel it brings to your squad?

I find that If my team is determined, I can perhaps punch above my weight at times, and complacency wont be a huge factor I suppose

At the moment, I only tend to go for players with bravery of 10 or more as otherwise I figure they get kicked out of games too easily. Determinationwise, if I'm buying a player I generally want at least 12 for a player above 23, if it's a freebie I tend to compromise a bit more though. I'm also aiming for players with at least some native language skills, I think only one youngster I signed this close season couldn't speak the local lingo to some extent.

I'm Liverpool in my current save and I am trying to only field a team with English\British players. I have made exceptions like Reina but for the most part my 1st Eleven are all from the UK. I also tend not to play players that are 32 or older so Carragher doesnt get a game too often. He doesn't seen to upset though but then again I dont suppose anyone would complain if they were getting 85K a week plus for doing nothing but train.

I tend to buy players primarily on physical attributes. They need to be quick, strong and fit.

I tend to buy from a whole range of ages but am especially fond of promising under 20s.

For my creative needs I tend to hire intelligent older players who've lost some of their pace, but none of their skill. Stops them trying to selfishly dribble the ball into the back of the net ;)

Personality is very important, i also won't sign a player that isn't determined or with a positive personality unless i have a good tutor for him.

I also like all my players to have good bravery and teamwork though it's not always possible..

I find it very interesting that people rate bravery so highly. It tends to be a trait I largely ignore, like aggression or corner taking :p I also used adore players with high determination and teamwork, but don't find it as important as it used to be.

Personally the attributes that make me the most, err, 'excited' are:

Anticipation, Off the Ball, Composure, First Touch, Passing, Technique, Pace, Strength, Stamina, Agility and Natural Fitness

If I was ever able to afford a player with 16> in all of those I think I would swoon...

Won't sign a player over age 27.

Will sell most players by age 31 unless they're something special to the club, like Totti is in my Roma team.

Dude that's harsh. I used to do that in earlier versions, but for me in FM11 older players seem to be much more effective than they ever were before. I tend to keep them on at least until they have a season where they were more often outside the squad than in.

To be fair, i'll generally only sign a player over 27 on a free transfer.

First off, I don't bother scouting any player over the age of 25. Second, I stick to "big" countries (Brazil, Spain, etc.) Next, I try to foster these players for at least 5 years until they take up playing for Canada. Last, I pick apart the Brazilian U-20 team for potential stars that I can sell for big money in the future. I generally look for players that have at least 10 for acc/pace, unless they're central midfielders with good stamina. I also look to dump any player that is approaching 30 years of age if their stamina or pace starts to diminish.

My Sampdoria team needs pace and work rate my entire tactic is build around them running around like crazy chicken.

In my Boston United team I'm happy if they got a number or two over 10 in critical areas for their position.

Dude that's harsh. I used to do that in earlier versions, but for me in FM11 older players seem to be much more effective than they ever were before. I tend to keep them on at least until they have a season where they were more often outside the squad than in.

To be fair, i'll generally only sign a player over 27 on a free transfer.

Sure, it's a little harsh, and they can perform well, but I like to be able to sell them for a good amount of money so I can afford to bring in(if I haven't already) a talented young replacement. I could keep them for a season or two longer, but then they're worth very little, and also, their stats drop very quickly at that point. I've always been a fan of young teams as they can play together for years before I have to break up the team.

I mean, at the end of this season I'm selling Mexes, Riise, De Rossi, Maxi Rodriguez, Borriello, as they're all about 30 or older. Some are playing great, like Borriello and Mexes. But I want to get a lot of money for them. It's how I build a financially sound team.

I've never signed a player with less than 14 determination and I have never signed a player over 26, although, if managaing lower leagues these rules have to be bent slightly but I stick to it as much as I can.

I'm always building for the long term and like to have the youngest sqauds in the league.

Won't sign a player over age 27.

Will sell most players by age 31 unless they're something special to the club, like Totti is in my Roma team.

I know what you mean, I used to have age caps of 28, then 30 for new signings, and look a lot more critically at players once they reached their 30's, who become higher on the list of players I might get rid of next time, though there isn't an automatic 'get rid' point and form still plays a part in convincing me to keep them for a while. This year I dropped the cap (though I'm unlikely to get anyone over 30/31 outside of frees, I still keep that option open).

Archived