Real manager vs FM manager

I have a question.IF a person is good at playing Football Manager, does it mean that that person is also good or only slighly good as a real manager?

I hasked this because I've been playing this game for a long time and it seems to me that the people that make the game and most of the players understand the sport of Football.

I have a question.IF a person is good at playing Football Manager, does it mean that that person is also good or only slighly good as a real manager?

I hasked this because I've been playing this game for a long time and it seems to me that the people that make the game and most of the players understand the sport of Football.

No its basically incomparable. If your interested in actual football management go to your local club/school and ask if you can coach some one of the teams for a bit (You may need to do FA coaching courses which are about £100 quid a go). For a start its very different looking from the side rather than downwards and having to explain things less definatley with sliders and more like... 'be more defensive than him'.

However I do think people who play football manager may set them themselves up to have an advantage over those who don't just simply because they are more likely to have some basic knowledge of which tactical systems counter which etc etc.

No, not in a million years.

Players understand, that's true. SI mainly understands English football though, unfortunately.

I think you can learn things. Its not a complete schooling device, but it can be useful for understanding tactics etc. I think its pretty established that the database is a half decent scouting guide, i think a few teams certainly use some of the data to make decisions on who to scout.

i hope you joking ..

don't mix fantasy with reality man.

yes FM have good details , bring in management experience in almost most of details

but it is a simulation of reality, but not reality, most of variables based on assumptions and are just hypotheses, tactics used in ME can win you games in , not only tactics tools is not the same but ME is not the same.

yes there may be sure some close information which you can use, but sure you will have some wrong information as well. will be hard to make sure which one is correct and have to pass by try and error to learn.

not only tactics and training you will have problems, but even players info , they are not exposed like you can see in FM, good manager can read that well, and thus can spot them and buy them and play them in right position, is just not the same when you can't see that IRL.

No way.

For starters players in real life dont have numbers telling you how good they are at certain things. Or indicators of morale. And I'm sure you don't walk in the dressing room and use bad 1 liners that may or may not turn your strikers into people who couldnt hit a barn door.

Sliders don't exist in real life either.

I think if a real football manager was good, then he would be good at Football Manager, or will at least get into the game very easily before encountering a superkeeper or something.

But I don't think the opposite applies: If someone was good at Football Manager, then they would be good in reality.

Human beings, let's not forget, are very unpredictable and difficult!

I think playing FM can sharpen your understanding of tactics.

There's a bit more to real life training than manipulating sliders.

There's a bit more to man management than ticking a box and having the player go, "I think that went well".

At the end of the day, we're fannying about with blobs and spreadsheets here.

I think it's a bit like saying playing world of warcraft would make you good with a sword IRL, it's just quite a different climate, not to mention managers are expected to have experience in football itself, not just a simulation.

I think playing FM can sharpen your understanding of tactics.

There's a bit more to real life training than manipulating sliders.

There's a bit more to man management than ticking a box and having the player go, "I think that went well".

At the end of the day, we're fannying about with blobs and spreadsheets here.

Agreed.

Certainly, I think you can learn a fair bit about football from FM, or it can at least open your eyes to certain things in the game anyway.

Or have surgery from someone who has only trained on 'Operation'?

Operation!!!! That's actually a better analogy; I believe pilots really are trained on Flight Simulator!

I suppose an even closer example would be to ask if you can become a professional footballer if you're great at FIFA.

can't believe some are saying tactics in FM (or other games) will back you up IRL

well unless you never read about tactics before and have no basic knowledge of football and management, i don't think you can add alot if you have already some knowledge

the tactic depend on ME, and ME certainly is not real.. is just simulation.. so a different ME make a tactics work more than others .. change that and you may find that best tactic is not same old one.

so not surprised IRL manager will struggle if they played FM, even Sir Alex can struggle in FM and vice versa

beside manager is not only about tactics, but personalty, ability to make your team believe, have confidence when they lose, ability to spot talents (withall thier skills hidden) and can go on and on

so verdict is NO

meanwhile players who are good tactically in FM without copying other people advice, that shows a talent, and despite he can't take that FM knowledge into IRL game, but a least tactically it mean you are smart enough and have the skills but you need to learn again how those tactics will work IRL. but some managers could have the right character and influence which a game like FM or any others can't show tbh, even if tactically they are not that smart

Would you be happy flying on a plane where the pilot's only experience was playing Microsoft flight simulator?

FYI, people have landed planes with just MFS experience. Apperantly, its a very realistic sim

Tactically, the same principles work, roughly.

FM will never be able to simulate real human behaviour though, so recreating your FM results would be hard as FM man management is far easier than in real life. Recruitment would also be harder.

Here's a question, how would you setup the training schedules? Would you tell them you want them to work 5 clicks aerobically?

Unless you have prior knowledge of tactics, the ME would highly influence your train of thinking.

Here's a question, how would you setup the training schedules? Would you tell them you want them to work 5 clicks aerobically?

Unless you have prior knowledge of tactics, the ME would highly influence your train of thinking.

I base my training schedules on the attributes that the player needs to have (and improve) to play his role in my team. If a striker has finishing 8/composure 8 obviously he will have "intensive" shooting training, etc.. I tend to figure that the attributes that need to improve need to be trained harder than those that don't..

I base my training schedules on the attributes that the player needs to have (and improve) to play his role in my team. If a striker has finishing 8/composure 8 obviously he will have "intensive" shooting training, etc.. I tend to figure that the attributes that need to improve need to be trained harder than those that don't..

He meant if you were training the team in real life. He was being sarcastic!

Archived