Idea/suggestion re: Squad Numbers

How about having players noticably reacting to changes in/assignment of squad/shirt numbers?

Eg. You sell your number one goalie and give your backup the number 1 shirt; surely he'd be happy that it would appear he is now number one, and that you aren't looking for a new number one to be brought in?

Or..

You give a youth player their first squad number and they're delighted that the manager considers them part of the first-team squad, either now or in the near future.

Or..

You give a (young) squad player, say previously shirt number 35, the number 6 shirt. Surely they'd express their delight that the manager considers them good enough to be a first-teamer.

Also, players could show insecurity, for example if you adjust their squad number each year, as they may feel that the manager is unsure about his squad, and who his best players are.

Any feedback?

How about having players noticably reacting to changes in/assignment of squad/shirt numbers?

Eg. You sell your number one goalie and give your backup the number 1 shirt; surely he'd be happy that it would appear he is now number one, and that you aren't looking for a new number one to be brought in?

Or..

You give a youth player their first squad number and they're delighted that the manager considers them part of the first-team squad, either now or in the near future.

Or..

You give a (young) squad player, say previously shirt number 35, the number 6 shirt. Surely they'd express their delight that the manager considers them good enough to be a first-teamer.

Also, players could show insecurity, for example if you adjust their squad number each year, as they may feel that the manager is unsure about his squad, and who his best players are.

Any feedback?

Also you could have players, possibly, suggest the squad number they would like. For example, a left back might request number 3, and may be unhappy with number 8, or disappointed with number 30, as they might not appear first-choice. This would particularly upset them if they had a high squad status.

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by man u 4 lyf:

Good ideas. Also, and some people might not like this idea, if a legend (e.g giggs at man u) retires, you could be given the option to retire his number (11). I think some italian clubs have done this IRL icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has definately happened in Italy but I forget who for. It was considered at Celtic when Larsson left but they decided against it.

Also, although that sounds good, it might not work. For example, also at Celtic, the captain Stephen McManus has shirt number 44. Despite the high number he's started just about every game. Same for Aiden McGeady, number 46, but considered by lots of fans as the best player at the club.

I agree in principle but icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by man u 4 lyf:

Good ideas. Also, and some people might not like this idea, if a legend (e.g giggs at man u) retires, you could be given the option to retire his number (11). I think some italian clubs have done this IRL icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of teams have; not just in Italy.

Alot of those are due to death, but granted it does happen for 'legends'.

Chelsea have (25), Vasco (11), AC (3, 6), Roma (6), Ajax (14) etc all have, so icon14.gif.

I think it would be best left up to the board though, in very exceptional circumstances. Just because a player spends 20 years at a team, the club should and would not neccessarily retire the number.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think some italian clubs have done this IRL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Milan plan to do this when Maldini retires (this year I think) and they'll only re-introduce it if and when either of his kids make it into the milan first team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think some italian clubs have done this IRL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Milan plan to do this when Maldini retires (this year I think) and they'll only re-introduce it if and when either of his kids make it into the milan first team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, although isn't Maldini staying another year?

Principle remains though. Sevilla have the same with Puerta I believe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mravac Kid:

Didn't Milan already do that with Baresi's shirt number?

If they get any more lifelong players, they'll run out of shirt numbers. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some teams, where you have to give numbers 1-25 or similar have had to un-retire numbers for that very reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some teams, where you have to give numbers 1-25 or similar have had to un-retire numbers for that very reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. It wouldn't be practical in La Liga where players need to be numbered 1-25, or for international number retirement when it comes to international tournaments and players have to be numbered 1-23.

I dont like the initial ideas. Im not sure that players put that much thought into their shirt number. IE Tommy Spurr at Sheffield Wednesday is 32 but he is one of the first players named now.

I do like the idea of a player requesting a certain number, like Henry wanting 14. Also retiring a number is a good idea but I guess you can already do that if you want to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

I dont like the initial ideas. Im not sure that players put that much thought into their shirt number... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe this is true for some players, as you say Tommy Spurr wears the number 32, however I think that it is probably the minority of players who don't care what their shirt number is, rather than the majority.

For example, David Beckham requested 23 as he couldn't wear number 7 at Real madrid, Christian Vieri has worn number 32 for as long as I remember and when Ronaldo signed for Inter Ivan Zamorano (who was wearing number 9 before ronaldo signed) wore 1+8 in protest.

Speaking of Ronaldo, imagine if Sir Alex told him that he would wear number 22 next season! This is something you could easilly do in the game without a sniff from twinkle toes

i somewhat agree, but since cristian vieri was one of my favorite players of all time and got the #32 shirt to match his transfer fee to internazionale, i've sometimes done that. and with transfer fees so ridiculous in this game, the likes of messi would probably wear 45-75 for me icon_biggrin.gif

also, players requesting specific (and available) squad numbers when they sign would be realistic.

personally, 1 CB has to wear 12 or 20, a utility player or AMC has to have 18, 23 or 27, a winger 14, a DMC 15 and strikers 13, 16, 21 or 27. saying that, i usually stick to 1-11.

I've seen players wearing ridiculously high numbers like that Kilmovicz. I remember Bixente Lizarazu (sp.) once wore number 69, francesco coco wore 77 (his birth year) and I even saw a player wear number 99 once, though I can't remember who!

Personally I like the traditional RB = 2, LB = 3, strikers =9+10 etc when giving my squad numbers, but I guess I wouldn't be that surprised to see Messi earing 45-75 if thats what he wanted (Except not in spain due to the squad registration rules icon_smile.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nojabold:

I've seen players wearing ridiculously high numbers like that Kilmovicz. I remember Bixente Lizarazu (sp.) once wore number 69, francesco coco wore 77 (his birth year) and I even saw a player wear number 99 once, though I can't remember who!

Personally I like the traditional RB = 2, LB = 3, strikers =9+10 etc when giving my squad numbers, but I guess I wouldn't be that surprised to see Messi earing 45-75 if thats what he wanted (Except not in spain due to the squad registration rules icon_smile.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vitor Baia?

That wasn't who I was thinking of but you're right with that one Hershie. If I think who it is I'll post it.

Back on point though, what I was getting at is that players often (if not always) have an input in which shirt number they wear, and so should deffinately be a feature in FM, even something simple along the lines of:

1) Your assistant has informed you that recent signing (insert name) has requested he be given the (insert number) shirt for the upcoming season.

2) (Insert name) has expressed his delight at being awarded the (insert number) shirt for the upcoming season.

This could affect morale in the same way appointing a captain does, for example with players responses such things as being deligted, feeling nervous about getting the shirt number, feeling upset he wasn't given the shirt number etc....

An excellent idea that would help with the games relism

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Speaking of Ronaldo, imagine if Sir Alex told him that he would wear number 22 next season! This is something you could easilly do in the game without a sniff from twinkle toes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Ronaldo first signed for Man Utd he requested the number 28 (his number at Sporting) but Sir Alex told him he was wearing the number 7, in an attempt to show that one day he'd be the new Beckham/Best.

Just another example of a player wanting a specific number...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nojabold:

feeling nervous about getting the shirt number </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's another thing I was thinking of after I went to bed last night. (Sad, I know)

If you give a 16 year old your number 7 shirt, either they could feel nervous, or they may even feel motivated due to the manager's faith in them, possibly leading to increased work ethic (training etc).

Also, it could contribute towards other managers being interested in your players, for example a manager may see that the fact you've given a young player such a position in your squad, they must be something special.

icon14.gif

Man City retired the 23 shirt when Marc-Vivien Foe died, so whenever im City i never give a player that shirt number...would be nice 2 be offered the chance to actually do it properly for a club "legend" though

That wasn't who I was thinking of but you're right with that one Hershie. If I think who it is I'll post it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucarelli?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

Deivid from Fernabahce wears 99 I think, remembered it from PES, lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo wears 99 at AC Milan I think.

I think it's becoming more of a practice for strikers to take the number 99 because number 9 isn't available.

I always thought that's why Anelka plays with 39 on his shirt but apparently he just took it because it was available at Liverpool.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nojabold:For example, David Beckham requested 23 as he couldn't wear number 7 at Real madrid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beckham chose 23 as that was michael jordans basketball number and he wanted to be more popular in america

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alwo:

I think it's becoming more of a practice for strikers to take the number 99 because number 9 isn't available.

I always thought that's why Anelka plays with 39 on his shirt but apparently he just took it because it was available at Liverpool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A player in Serie A has 8+1 on the back of his shirt, due to not getting the number 9. Loser.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alwo:

I always thought that's why Anelka plays with 39 on his shirt but apparently he just took it because it was available at Liverpool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A player in Serie A has 8+1 on the back of his shirt, due to not getting the number 9. Loser. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zamorano acted like a baby when Inter signed Ronaldo and gave him the no. 9 shirt, so Zamorano insisted on the strange compromise, I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AB-forever:

A lot of players in the Russian League have high squad numbers, but since you can only register 50 players in the game you can't get those icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have some youth players on squad numbers 90 and over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Speaking of Ronaldo, imagine if Sir Alex told him that he would wear number 22 next season! This is something you could easilly do in the game without a sniff from twinkle toes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Ronaldo first signed for Man Utd he requested the number 28 (his number at Sporting) but Sir Alex told him he was wearing the number 7, in an attempt to show that one day he'd be the new Beckham/Best.

Just another example of a player wanting a specific number... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you think its coincedental that just 1 post before i read yours, i was about to right about

sir alex shoving the no7 shirt on to ronaldo instead of 28

...maybe something to do with my sub conscience

mind

since squad numbers have come in it plays less on what you would say as a 1st 11 list. On the other hand icon shirts should play an impact on a players ability to handle the "stress" of saying following Shearer at Newcastle or Henry at Arsenal. Also giving a squad number to a young player should improve his work rate etc (the carrot on a stick approach) buy giving him a number in the squad this should be seen as an incentive to progress and stake a claim for a place on the bench. This would have to work with other mental stats such as determination etc. All that said the number 9 shirt at Forrest felt the impact of the number after Jason Lee left then the same to be said when Giggs retires and passes on his number

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

A player in Serie A has 8+1 on the back of his shirt, due to not getting the number 9. Loser. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zamorano acted like a baby when Inter signed Ronaldo and gave him the no. 9 shirt, so Zamorano insisted on the strange compromise, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zamorano added the plus himself, with medical tape I think....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

I like this idea.

I also think if a player has worn a certain number for a long enough time, and you sign him, his number should stick with him. Kind of like Beckham with the #23. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or 7????? oops!

i remember sorin had 1+2 because 3 was taken once. cant remember who it was for. also many clubs have retired number 12 because it is the number for their fans and pompey have retired 13 for aaron flahavan even though he was 1 when he died and diabate had 13 the following season. ive never worked that one out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

Or..

Or..

Any feedback? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the idea of numbers having more meaning to the players(I know numbers are quite important to athletes over here in U.S. sports), but I disagree with the given reasons.

Simply because they all seem to be reasoned based on the idea that numbers are based on squad status... which, from what I've seen, isn't the case in any league in FM.

I always think that players should be delighted when they are moved up the number (from high to low number) and it'd be great to see those responses (delight, upset, nervous, etc.)

However, the issue of retiring some squad number was raised last year and was found controversial. I disagree with retiring squad number. If you want to personally honor that number, you can keep it to yourself and not assign that number to any players, but should not keep every FM players from using that number.

For example, not everyone who take Sevilla would be happy that they can't assign number 16.

Archived