GD - Tactics & Training Discussion Thread

GD - Tactics and Training Discussion Thread

T&TT Forum Link

T&TT Forum - Stupid Questions Thread

Hello, and welcome to the all new GD - T&TDT. Yep, get your head around that. After a few small words with Neji, (only because he's not that bright, and can't handle the big words ;) ) - I've decided to create this thread.

Now, before we move on to what's actually important here, please note. This is NOT a thread to discuss detailed tactical plans, tactics sets or training schedules. This is a thread for those moments where something clicks, and you've just realised why.

Let me explain.

In my current save game, (which you can read in the careers forum, here) - I'm managing Croydon Municipal. I know what you're thinking. Who the.... are they. Well, they're my home town. I say town, but they're actually a borough, rife with underachievers, OAP's and teenage mums. So, with that in mind, I wanted to bring some glory to the mighty Borough of Croydon.

Just today, I was playing in the English Northern Premier League First Division North*, (but for the sake of ease, we'll just call it the Northern Premier League First Division North, as we all know it's in England) - and scraping my way to the top of the table, after some dogged performances. For the first time in my 3 and a half seasons in charge, I used the "2D pitch view" - with highlights on "Key Incidents" - at this point, and not for the first time, but for the first time in a long time, I remember : hey, we now have touchline instructions. I can't tell you what a difference this made to my style of play, and my games. I was able to tell my players to take the foot off the gas when 2-0 up a the simple click of my mouse pad. I was able to send my team into overdrive when going down, within seconds of conceding. All of these wonderful options at my finger tips.

After a little playing around with it, I found the "Overload" strategy very effective in the last 8-10 minutes of the first half, and indeed the game. It meant that my players exerted themselves, but got a rest shortly after. This saw me score more goals in those final minutes of each half, than ever before. And that's my little tactical spout for this thread, at this moment. (Along with team talks, but that will come later).

So basically, the purpose of the thread is this :

Have you ever done something, and thought : "Oh wow, that was pretty awesome, I bet it works every time" - and then never told the forum because you either didn't know there was a tactics forum, or that you didn't think it warranted it's own thread in the Tactics Forum, and left your little gem undiscovered by the rest of us forumites? (Selfish, btw). Well, now there is a place for you. Be it a training technique that works well for a certain position, or age, be it an exemplary team talk for a player in a certain mood, or simply be it something as credulous as saying, "Hey, you know its much better to play players with "X" mentality, even if they are a little worse in attributes", then please, for the love of which ever god it is you prey to, let us know. We struggle in our delights time after time, when a little community spirit could send us, and specifically me, with Croydon, to the dizzy heights of Premier League Glory, Champions League triumph, personal records, and bragging rights.

* Yes, yes, I know, Croydon are a borough very, very south, what on earth are they doing playing up north. You'll have to speak to Super Bladesman about that. Apparently, his database editing skills aren't what they should be (Just kidding SB, loving the extra English tiers)

NB : Neji, Neji, Neji, Neji, Neji.

That is all. Sorry daf. You don't know why, but I'm ok with that :D

P.S : REGENS are know known as Neps.

Edit : Would love this to be stickied :D

Peoples Personal Messages :

likeabawss - You should always be using the work ball into box shout because of the amount of long shots in 10.3. On every save I've started on the new patch, it's had a positive impact

Tubey84 - In the lower leagues, if you play a 4-4-2 with AMR/AML, fairly high defensive line....[/snip]

"I say town, but they're actually a borough, rife with underachievers, OAP's and teenage mums. So, with that in mind, I wanted to bring some glory to the mighty Borough of Croydon."

Got that part spot on Nep ;)

Was slightly amused when I walked past a Barclays in Croydon where the adverts were all in Polish a few months ago.

Neps eh? ^^

Fair enough!

Well, I'll share one thing I think works every time because I've tried it twice now and it's resulted in almost perfect results.

In the lower leagues, if you play a 4-4-2 with AMR/AML, fairly high defensive line, just below medium width and tempo and normal time wasting, Rigid/Standard, short passing, more roaming and a Sweeper Keeper with the maximum sized pitch, you hardly ever concede a goal.

The reason why, as far as I can tell, is because you get forward in wide positions, retain possession just in front of the opposition penalty area and then thread a through ball. The 'keepers at these levels are so useless that they don't come out and collect and your strikers tap it in.

Meanwhile, the opposition try to knock balls over the top again and again, but the defenders are just as quick and have the same mental stats as the striker at that level so they catch him every time. Other than that, they can't shoot properly as well and every long range shot flies over.

I haven't conceded a goal in just on 1'000 minutes on my current save doing this. Seen it on two other saves as well. It's super effective in Tier 11 using Bladesman's database.

Guest leedsUnited-Beckford

does any body have any good tactrics for leeds like what to play i dont know te difference between fluid and ridgid and tempo andmore roaming less whast the best to do

does any body have any good tactrics for leeds like what to play i dont know te difference between fluid and ridgid and tempo andmore roaming less whast the best to do

TT&F 2010 is what you need to read to understand Fluid/Rigid.

The Tactics forum is generally what you need to find decent tactics.

And the Team forum is what you need to find what other people have done with Leeds United.

so what is this forum used for?

Giving little tidbits of help I think! Not sure to be frank, seems pretty similar to the tactics forum - but hell, I'll always be on threads that discuss tactics in any way!

In regards to my tip above, here's my recent fixtures.

waterfix111.png

It really is insanely effective.

Giving little tidbits of help I think! Not sure to be frank, seems pretty similar to the tactics forum - but hell, I'll always be on threads that discuss tactics in any way!

In regards to my tip above, here's my recent fixtures.

waterfix111.png

It really is insanely effective.

Exactly what I've bolded. :thup:

Also, that run of form is crazy.!

Exactly what I've bolded. :thup:

Also, that run of form is crazy.!

Yup!

Basically, you set your team up to only shoot from about 10 yards out, and set your shape so that the other team is given every chance of shooting from 25 yards.

So you never concede a goal - of course, your team is crap as well, so you'll get a few 0-0's, but even Stuart Barlow can score from six yards with the 'keeper standing still!

Just to get a mention in the OP (:D) i'll repeat some simple advice that some people seem unaware of:

Don't be afraid to use an attacking, control or even standard strategy to defend a lead. I'm not saying to go out and attack all the time to defend a lead but certainly try it out if you've been having problems with losing leads. It can be great at relieving the pressure on your defence and i use this strategy often when i'm trying to hold onto a lead. If it doesn't appear to be working though try to counter attack and waste time.

Building on what charlo said- I find that the two best ways to defend a lead are:

Control- retain possession, take a breather, drop deeper, stay on feet, stand off opponents

You're still attacking, but also running down the clock, and even conserving energy. However, it needs relatively skillful passers and dry weather.

Counter- get ball forward, pump ball into box

Basically defensive, with rushed counter attacks to add an extra goal and relieve some pressure.

My best tip is if you want to retain your sanity, take the FM2010 disk and snap it in half, then uninstall the game :thup:

7 wins in a row then i draw with Birmingham 1-1 then lose to Everton 1-0 and I get utterly dominated by Everton as well, no matter what I tried to do.

I've seen a lot of people complain about either losing a game or losing a one goal lead in the last ten minutes of a game. I have found that the Contain mentality does wonders for defending leads. I usually compliment this with the following shouts:

Drop Deeper

Play Narrower

Hassle Opponents

Retain possesion

I have rarely conceded once I have switched to this. Against the bigger teams I will usually drop a couple of players into the DM positions.

TBF though - I am playing as Man Utd and I have a great general quality in my squad.

Found a new corner phenomenom, it works better than the so called "Corner Bug". You may have used it as it came along with a tactic:

If you play 442; both FBs on Back. both CBs on Flick. both wingers on Stand on Far. 1 CM (best long shots) Lurk. other CM on Challenge keeper. 1 striker on Challenge Keeper. other striker (best long shots) on Lurk.

All the other players are in 6 yard box (TOTAL DISTRACTION) as it takes everybody in marking them - leaving the two lurking. PLAY YOUR CORNERS TO "PENALTY AREA", and they will swing it out to the pair lurking and 9 times out of 10 for me they will smash it right through or it will hit off a couple and go in as OG. I've won a game 6-0 and all from corners.

Also, i've never really used opposition instructions but as Wolfsburg i was given a tough game against Sevilla (Chamoions League First KO Round first leg at home) and i knew exactly how they would play. Sevilla always play 4 at the back, 2 DMs, 2 Wingers (Navas, Capel) and Kanoute and Fabiano up top. And most of the times (whoever i am) they thump me. I play Mr Houghs tactics (basically, but i have altered) to 41212 diamond (narrow). I play a slooooow tempo and normal width, which has worked wonders - ridgid, control. So back to the game, i told my team to tackle Capel, Navas, Kanoute and Luis Fabiano hard and mark tight and close down always. They all started off as 94-99% fitness. By time i got to the hour-mark, they were all below 73%! And they hadn't caused much the whole game due to tough marking. I had the ball being passed around them, as i had 'Control' and 'Retain Possession'. And on 83 minutes, when 2/4 had gone off with green crosses over them, i grabbed a scrappy goal from the corner (as above). Pulled out to Dzeko, smashed in, hit off one or two and Hosebe tapped in from a yard out. Told them to 'Contain' and after a chance or two from Sevilla, I came away with a 1-0 win, conceding no away goals. Probably play the same away tbh.

This one may be common knowledge but thought it may be worth mentioning anyway...I find that with the new tactics wizard you can sometimes ignore a player's level of ability in a position (ie natural, accomplished etc) as long as the key attributes of the player match up with the role you want the player to perform.

I only noticed how effective this is myself when I had a bit of an injury crisis at cb with my Man Utd team and I played Fletcher as a ball playing cb, he has ineffectual as has rating for the position but his attributes in key areas fit the role and he's been great in the position for me when asked to play there.

After a little playing around with it, I found the "Overload" strategy very effective in the last 8-10 minutes of the first half, and indeed the game. It meant that my players exerted themselves, but got a rest shortly after. This saw me score more goals in those final minutes of each half, than ever before. And that's my little tactical spout for this thread, at this moment. (Along with team talks, but that will come later).

[/url][/snip]

Just started trying this out and its really effective - last three games tried it and scored in two of them just before half time

Found a new corner phenomenom, it works better than the so called "Corner Bug". You may have used it as it came along with a tactic:

If you play 442; both FBs on Back. both CBs on Flick. both wingers on Stand on Far. 1 CM (best long shots) Lurk. other CM on Challenge keeper. 1 striker on Challenge Keeper. other striker (best long shots) on Lurk.

All the other players are in 6 yard box (TOTAL DISTRACTION) as it takes everybody in marking them - leaving the two lurking. PLAY YOUR CORNERS TO "PENALTY AREA", and they will swing it out to the pair lurking and 9 times out of 10 for me they will smash it right through or it will hit off a couple and go in as OG. I've won a game 6-0 and all from corners.

Isn't this the corner bug?

I got a couple. Firstly NEVER play the standard attacking setting against weak opposition because it has the counter attack box ticked so you trying to counter a team that is sitting back which is obviously rubbish. Also done a lot better with a left footed striker on the left and right footed striker on the right tha vice versa.

No mate, the corner bug is either the backpost one or challenging the keeper when you play it to 6 yard box :thup:

There's a thread on it somewhere iirc.

Are you sure you're playing 10.3? Those are definitely not the main 2 mentioned.

If the 2 you speaking of are also problems that means 4 bugs just from corners...great.

click tactics when no highlight is being played then watching the 2d in the bottom corner of the screen hit pause the SECOND the ball goes out of play,

then make tactic change and hit confirm play (that way 9/10 your tactic change is made there and then)

T&TT Forum Link

T&TT Forum - Stupid Questions Thread

Hello, and welcome to the all new GD - T&TDT. Yep, get your head around that. After a few small words with Neji, (only because he's not that bright, and can't handle the big words ;) ) - I've decided to create this thread.

Now, before we move on to what's actually important here, please note. This is NOT a thread to discuss detailed tactical plans, tactics sets or training schedules. This is a thread for those moments where something clicks, and you've just realised why.

Let me explain.

In my current save game, (which you can read in the careers forum, here) - I'm managing Croydon Municipal. I know what you're thinking. Who the.... are they. Well, they're my home town. I say town, but they're actually a borough, rife with underachievers, OAP's and teenage mums. So, with that in mind, I wanted to bring some glory to the mighty Borough of Croydon.

Just today, I was playing in the English Northern Premier League First Division North*, (but for the sake of ease, we'll just call it the Northern Premier League First Division North, as we all know it's in England) - and scraping my way to the top of the table, after some dogged performances. For the first time in my 3 and a half seasons in charge, I used the "2D pitch view" - with highlights on "Key Incidents" - at this point, and not for the first time, but for the first time in a long time, I remember : hey, we now have touchline instructions. I can't tell you what a difference this made to my style of play, and my games. I was able to tell my players to take the foot off the gas when 2-0 up a the simple click of my mouse pad. I was able to send my team into overdrive when going down, within seconds of conceding. All of these wonderful options at my finger tips.

So basically, the purpose of the thread is this :

Have you ever done something, and thought : "Oh wow, that was pretty awesome, I bet it works every time" - and then never told the forum because you either didn't know there was a tactics forum, or that you didn't think it warranted it's own thread in the Tactics Forum, and left your little gem undiscovered by the rest of us forumites? (Selfish, btw). Well, now there is a place for you. Be it a training technique that works well for a certain position, or age, be it an exemplary team talk for a player in a certain mood, or simply be it something as credulous as saying, "Hey, you know its much better to play players with "X" mentality, even if they are a little worse in attributes", then please, for the love of which ever god it is you prey to, let us know. We struggle in our delights time after time, when a little community spirit could send us, and specifically me, with Croydon, to the dizzy heights of Premier League Glory, Champions League triumph, personal records, and bragging rights.

* Yes, yes, I know, Croydon are a borough very, very south, what on earth are they doing playing up north. You'll have to speak to Super Bladesman about that. Apparently, his database editing skills aren't what they should be (Just kidding SB, loving the extra English tiers)

NB : Neji, Neji, Neji, Neji, Neji.

That is all. Sorry daf. You don't know why, but I'm ok with that :D

P.S : REGENS are know known as Neps.

Edit : Would love this to be stickied :D

Peoples Personal Messages :

likeabawss - You should always be using the work ball into box shout because of the amount of long shots in 10.3. On every save I've started on the new patch, it's had a positive impact

Tubey84 - In the lower leagues, if you play a 4-4-2 with AMR/AML, fairly high defensive line....[/snip]

Nice one on managing Croydon. I'm from there was thinking about taking over Croydon Atheltic but couldn't be bothered to create the league. Well done. :thup:

Archived