big name turkeys

which players have you all bought, perhaps someone with a big reputation, someone with red-hot attributes, who has just not been able to find any form?

for villa, i bought deco 2nd season. my main objective was to have him tutoring delph, and to provide cover for delphs position, but the attractiveness of his attributes made me play deco alongside mouassa sissoko. anyway, in about a dozen games deco has found absolutely no form whatsoever, his last five games are all little yellow bars, no assists at all. just a total let down.

praise him, be angry at him, talk him up in the media, ive done all this. i should have known better though cos he was pants in my villa save on fm 09.

so what players have you bought that you expected to be great but just frustrated you in the end?

and a good morning to all, 6 am i played fm till this morning

Brought Adriano in several versions of the game, and every time, he has failed, doesn't settle, and scores next to nothing.

The most recent time i brought him was in 10.2, for around 20 million, scored about 3 in 20 games, and sold him off for half the price. :thdn:

Brought Adriano in several versions of the game, and every time, he has failed, doesn't settle, and scores next to nothing.

The most recent time i brought him was in 10.2, for around 20 million, scored about 3 in 20 games, and sold him off for half the price. :thdn:

hope you learn for future games!:D

I did manage to beat a lot of competition to sign a really good looking centre-back on a free, when I got Granada CF promoted to the LIGA adelante.

He wasn't particularly a "big name", though he was clearly the best defender (on paper) by a country mile compared to others in my division. Unfortunately, he just didn't perform for me. When he didn't take well to either minor criticism or attempts to boost his morale, I called time on his stay. I did get a million quid for him in the January transfer window, so it wasn't all bad. :)

The best of it was, that my 38 year old bench-warming defender, stepped in and was fantastic for the rest of the season.

Signed Cesc Febregas for Milan in the 4th season for £67m, and he's averaging about 6.7 rating so far. Joao Moutinho cost about one-third of that, and has been much better. Fabregas can't even find much form in the reserve fixtures I've put together.

i don't know if he still counts, but Andy van der Meyde was once a great talent so I thught I'll restart his career by taking him to Leeds. Man, he totally disrupted my squad, because ha was unhappy about something all the time and thus played complete s... and I could not get rid of him cause he was the best paid player in the squad and nobody wanted to buy him.:mad:

Grrr

On 10.1....Diego Buonanotte....was a FM09 Legend for me, and his stats were relativley similar in 10.1 but he never reached the level of form his stats suggested he should do.....

I bought Diego Buonanotte too, though he wasn't really needed. I thought he would be a superstar but he barely perform's, so therefore isn't a regular in my first team. Though i previously bought André-Pierre Gignac for £15million and he scored about 19 goal's all season, which i considered a flop because he was missing far too many easy goal scoring opptunites. But then i figured out how to play him and he scored 38 goals the following season and seems to perform well when pressured.

Van Der Vaart flopped for Liverpool with me, playing him in the role that Alonso used to have in the 5 man midfield. With Masch clearing up behind him, and gerrard ahead, he should have been set, but he was bollocks. Lucas took over half way through the season and did much better. Sold him for a profit at the end of the season though.

Nearly had a problem with Aguero though, on 08 I think, signed him with Arsenal for about 45 million, he flopped first season, getting only 15 goals in all comps, luckily Adebayor was banging them in. Got a tempting offer and nearly sold him to Barcelona, but the next season he got about 45 in all comps. Adebayor however gave up and got about 10 goals in the next 3 seasons. Lazy bugger.

Signed Cesc Febregas for Milan in the 4th season for £67m, and he's averaging about 6.7 rating so far. Joao Moutinho cost about one-third of that, and has been much better. Fabregas can't even find much form in the reserve fixtures I've put together.

I have found the exact5 same problem with Fabregas, he tried too many shots outside the boxso i changed his instructions, makes no difference i was playing 4-1-2-1-2, so i changed to 4-4-2 and he is amazing.

May depend on your formation

Van Der Vaart flopped for Liverpool with me, playing him in the role that Alonso used to have in the 5 man midfield. With Masch clearing up behind him, and gerrard ahead, he should have been set, but he was bollocks. Lucas took over half way through the season and did much better. Sold him for a profit at the end of the season though.

Nearly had a problem with Aguero though, on 08 I think, signed him with Arsenal for about 45 million, he flopped first season, getting only 15 goals in all comps, luckily Adebayor was banging them in. Got a tempting offer and nearly sold him to Barcelona, but the next season he got about 45 in all comps. Adebayor however gave up and got about 10 goals in the next 3 seasons. Lazy bugger.

You're mistake there was trying to get VdV to play like Alonso, VdV plays higher up the pitch and is much more of a goal threat, and threat in the opposition 3rd than Alonso, therefore needs to be played in the hole to get the best out of him, he doesn't have the workrate, positioning or strength to excel in a deeper role. I've had many successes with VdV playing him behind 1 or 2 strikers as either a Trequartista or an Inside Forward, but put him in Central midfield and you're looking a ratings in the 6's.

Luis Fabiano :( on 07 i payed a ridiculous amount for him, 40 million... Then played loads and scored very few. I put him on the transfer list and no one would take him and no longer wanted to play for me, then me being an idiot had only gave him a 2 yr contract and he left on a Free...

(On 07) Did anyone notice Shevchenko was the best player on the game! He scored 30 a season till he retired. Shame for Chelsea he didnt mirror real life :)

Wow. In contrast to everyone who thought VdV is bad on the game, bought him for my Liverpool save in the first season for 5m.

played him in the AM© position alongside Gerrard and Benayoun, and he got the prem's player of the season. Averaged out 8.67 all season and scored 16 goals, and 21 assists.

I've had a bit of a hit and miss time with both Mirko Vucinic and (in later seasons) Jonjo Shelvey.

Vucinic, in one save - Picked him up for 9m for Forest and he was red hot, 47 in all competitions and got poached by Chelsea for 24m (Board went over my head). A different save I have with QPR (Where, now ironically Shelvey has been my best player for 6 seasons straight), I picked him up for 7m and he flopped hard, 11 goals in 4 seasons, and most after the first season off the subs bench.

Shelvey on the otherhand, amazing in my long-standing QPR save. Cost 15m off Sevilla and has averaged 15 goals and 15 assists over 6 seasons. Starting a new game recently, where I was Wrexham for 6 seasons up to Championship, and jumped ship to forest with a 12m transfer kitty (Am I the only person who can't resist your fav club tabling a contract no-matter who you're with?), picked him up for 6.5m and he was absolutely tripe. 3 goals in 27 starts and ended up ditching him for 2.5m.

On the flip side, my QPR game I started with Liverpool and spent 17m on Cassano and hes never flopped for me in any save (And now hes my Assman at QPR after Samir Nasri took the managers spot at West Ham). I find a lot of Midfielders seem to have trouble slotting into the Liverpool side.

Wow. In contrast to everyone who thought VdV is bad on the game, bought him for my Liverpool save in the first season for 5m.

played him in the AM© position alongside Gerrard and Benayoun, and he got the prem's player of the season. Averaged out 8.67 all season and scored 16 goals, and 21 assists.

do you play all 3 as AM © or stick to the formation the AI Liverpool manager uses?

He was junk for me when I had him on loan too. Way too many long shots. Closest he came was hitting the bar twice.

In FM09 I paid 50 million to bring a then 25 year old Sergio Aguero to the EPL. Although he became an important member of my team, he never became the prolific goal scorer I had hoped. Never reached the 20 goal a season mark, always around 15-19.

High assists though each season.

Mario Balotelli. Waste...... of......... money. Signed him for Chelsea and he struggled after a slow start (1 goal in 15 games), sold him 12 months later for less than half the £25million+ I signed him for.

Player performances in FM2010 depend heavily on how you play them, and also on your team formation. I play 4-2-3-1, and one of my two best strikers plays very good as a poacher and with my AM C being trequertista, my other striker totally sucks in this formation and role. If I want to play him as the lone forward, not only I should give him "complete forward" role, but I also have to change my AM C's and my wingers' roles as well, to suit him.

I bought Mensah (60+ times Ghana international CB, 27 years old) for my Fenerbahce team. He is supposed to be a 3* CB for me. All his CB attributes are great, except his jumping which is 11 only. He never ever got a rating above 7 in his first whole season. The conclusion is, you can't play somebody with a jumping lower than 12 as a CB in FM2010, no matter how good all his other attributes are.

You have to find a role that suits the players attributes perfectly, otherwise he can't perform. I wish the ME was a little more flexible.

Archived