Almunia England and patch 10.3

Dont know if his stats got a boost in the last patch:confused: as he doesnt deserve a boost the opposite :D

as I have been running the game in holiday mode to test a few issues .............and he got capped for england in 2010 think his stats were 17 hadling reflexes 18(back down to 15/16 in 2014), and is still first choice england keeper aged 38:rolleyes:

when I tested out patch 10.2 foster was 1st choice up to age 38..............looks like in the future once you are england keeper you cant get dropped:rolleyes:

I noticed the same for Poland and Boruc. He was 42 and still first choice goalkeeper, even though Kuszczak was in the top 10 goalkeepers in the game. (Untill his stats atarted dropping)

Boruc should be dropped from the first team in real life too, in favour of Fabianski or Przyrowski. (PS. If you ever need a goalkeeper, try Przyrowski from Polonia Warsaw)

Yeah I thought there was a gentleman's agreement between the home nations that they wouldn't call up foreigners or something?

i checked his profile and it says english.....not british:confused:

so it must be country you reside in ;)

Boruc should be dropped from the first team in real life too, in favour of Fabianski or Przyrowski. (PS. If you ever need a goalkeeper, try Przyrowski from Polonia Warsaw)

Are you serious? Fabianski? Did you see any of his games? Any of his games, he is a horrid GK.

i checked his profile and it says english.....not british:confused:

so it must be country you reside in ;)

This issue with the game is really not good. There is no such thing as English nationality. Nor Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish. FM will call them "nationalities" for the sake of putting the correct players into the correct "national" teams based on their birthrights.

What gets me is this: On a foreign player's profile it wil tell you how long it takes for the player to gain "UK" nationality. Now, with UK nationality, but no blood links to any of the 4 "nations" within the UK, no part of the UK should be able to cap him. That FM manages to change the nationality gained from British to one of the four fictional nationalities (and let's face it, they are) is a source of annoyance to me. In real life, the FA, SFA etc have said they will not cap any of these players and so it should be in game too.

Maybe they could create a UK nation ingame which does not have a national side playing any matches. So when the nationality is gained it qualifies the player to play for only his home country and the teamless UK nation.

Altogether it would make getting British nationality in FM a rather pointless venture, as it pretty much is in real life anyway for footballers.

This issue with the game is really not good. There is no such thing as English nationality. Nor Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish. FM will call them "nationalities" for the sake of putting the correct players into the correct "national" teams based on their birthrights.

What gets me is this: On a foreign player's profile it wil tell you how long it takes for the player to gain "UK" nationality. Now, with UK nationality, but no blood links to any of the 4 "nations" within the UK, no part of the UK should be able to cap him. That FM manages to change the nationality gained from British to one of the four fictional nationalities (and let's face it, they are) is a source of annoyance to me. In real life, the FA, SFA etc have said they will not cap any of these players and so it should be in game too.

Maybe they could create a UK nation ingame which does not have a national side playing any matches. So when the nationality is gained it qualifies the player to play for only his home country and the teamless UK nation.

Altogether it would make getting British nationality in FM a rather pointless venture, as it pretty much is in real life anyway for footballers.

It's not pointless in real life though is it? Like in the game it helps players become European nationals so they no longer require a work permit.

Even if there is a gentleman's agreement between the home nations there still needs to be a mechanism in place ingame to allow residents not nationals to be called up for a national team. Look at Senna for Spain, Olisadebe for Poland and wasn't there a brazilian lad Alex who played in the J-League and turned out for Japan in the 2002 World Cup? Don't think this is the case with Deco and Pepe who may have Portuguese ancestry or Klose and Podolski who may have German ancestry but something like a player playing for his nation of residency over his nation of birth isn't unprecedented.

Even if there is a gentleman's agreement between the home nations there still needs to be a mechanism in place ingame to allow residents not nationals to be called up for a national team. Look at Senna for Spain, Olisadebe for Poland and wasn't there a brazilian lad Alex who played in the J-League and turned out for Japan in the 2002 World Cup? Don't think this is the case with Deco and Pepe who may have Portuguese ancestry or Klose and Podolski who may have German ancestry but something like a player playing for his nation of residency over his nation of birth isn't unprecedented.

This has been discussed many times previously. Almunia is an EU resident and as such according to EU law he cannot change nationality to another EU member state, national law will probably alter this but take this one to court and you'll open a whole can of worms. Senna, Olisadebe and Alex (if to play for a European team) are not originally EU residents hence there are no such issues. Deco and Pepe although through ancestry, the same applies, originally non-EU and Klose and Podolski were also originally non EU at the time of being capped for Germany.

The only allowance within EU law for a member resident to change residency is if he/she is born within another member state or if he/she is forced to live in another member state through persecution and/or fear for their life. This would have them allowed under the human rights act. Still for such a situation to arise, its more likely for the member state to lose EU statehood than the person having to open this whole can of worms.

FM is a game and as such is not going to get bogged down with laws however Almunia if he was to play for England would create one heck of a problem throughout the European Union and would likely force those Federalists within the Union to demand one nation rather than separate member states. So for the good of peace and goodwill lets not give them an excuse...please :)

It's not pointless in real life though is it? Like in the game it helps players become European nationals so they no longer require a work permit.

That is probably the only benefit I could think of for gaining British nationality. Even then, it takes 5 years.

So, a player not good enough to be granted a work permit originally will be gaining his EU nationality somewhere else, like Belgium. On the other side, a player who IS good enough to automatically get a work permit will probably have no need of EU nationality anyway. Hense, the pointlessness of British nationality in football.

Think he would still need to have Welsh connections to play for Wales I think. If I remember correctly, the GB thing only applies to players born here. Is Przyrowski a class keeper then?

Meh..

And Przyrowski is hugely underrated in the game, although that is granted as he plays his trade in Poland.

Przyrowski would get along fine in a team like Man City for example. Given would still be first choice goalkeeper in this scenerio, but Przyrowski would easily be able to compete with him and get a few games, and if Given get's injured in this scenerio, Przyrowski would have an easy time covering for him.

Przyrowski > Kuszczak, Fabianski and Zaluska IMO

But in the game, Przyrowski would be a good goalkeeper for a team like Hull or Sunderland.

Also another one to look at is Wisla Krakow's Pawelek who is a good goalkeeper as well.

Are you serious? Fabianski? Did you see any of his games? Any of his games, he is a horrid GK.

Yes, I have seen his games, and it looks like Fabianski is a huge prospect. (And I say prospect because he is still young in Goalkeeper years) Fabianski looks like he will be one of the world's top goalkeepers in the upcoming years.

Fabianski has the skill to do it, he has to get experience and raise up those mental attributes and he will be a very good goalkeeper. I got a very good article about him in English if you would like.

This has been discussed many times previously. Almunia is an EU resident and as such according to EU law he cannot change nationality to another EU member state, national law will probably alter this but take this one to court and you'll open a whole can of worms. Senna, Olisadebe and Alex (if to play for a European team) are not originally EU residents hence there are no such issues. Deco and Pepe although through ancestry, the same applies, originally non-EU and Klose and Podolski were also originally non EU at the time of being capped for Germany.

The only allowance within EU law for a member resident to change residency is if he/she is born within another member state or if he/she is forced to live in another member state through persecution and/or fear for their life. This would have them allowed under the human rights act. Still for such a situation to arise, its more likely for the member state to lose EU statehood than the person having to open this whole can of worms.

FM is a game and as such is not going to get bogged down with laws however Almunia if he was to play for England would create one heck of a problem throughout the European Union and would likely force those Federalists within the Union to demand one nation rather than separate member states. So for the good of peace and goodwill lets not give them an excuse...please :)

Poland was in the EU at the time of Podolski's cap.

What about Northern Irish players who are able to switch nationality to the Republic based on the Good Friday Agreement?

What about Northern Irish players who are able to switch nationality to the Republic based on the Good Friday Agreement?

Northern Ireland is a separate issue as the EU doesnt recognise the separation of Ireland, look it up on their database and they will say it is under the UK and not a separate entity. Therefore they are not regarded to have citizenship as an independant nation whereas the Republic is considered by the EU to be an independant nation and a formal member of the Union. I dont make these laws, Brussels do, so take a ticket and queue up for a court date :)

No, he was capped in 2004 the same year that Poland gained membership thereby just missing out on a likely issue.

Poland joined the EU on May 1st 2004, and Podolski wasn't capped for Germany until June 6th 2004 in a friendly against Hungary. Poland therefore had been a member of the EU for over a month before Podolski got his German debut.

Northern Ireland is a separate issue as the EU doesnt recognise the separation of Ireland, look it up on their database and they will say it is under the UK and not a separate entity. Therefore they are not regarded to have citizenship as an independant nation whereas the Republic is considered by the EU to be an independant nation and a formal member of the Union. I dont make these laws, Brussels do, so take a ticket and queue up for a court date :)

Okay then...

What about UK players who are able to switch nationality to the Republic based on the Good Friday Agreement?

Poland joined the EU on May 1st 2004, and Podolski wasn't capped for Germany until June 6th 2004 in a friendly against Hungary. Poland therefore had been a member of the EU for over a month before Podolski got his German debut.

You're forgetting the under-21 games and the fact that as Poland were not members pre-May 2004 he was free to take an EU nationality. As Poland were not one as so he was a non-EU citizen.

Okay then...

What about UK players who are able to switch nationality to the Republic based on the Good Friday Agreement?

This would enter into the terms of lineage (parents, grandparents) and you would also need to bring out explicit examples of this as I doubt there have been many since the formal acceptance of the Union as opposed to the previously recognised common market.

• Administrators

Yeah unfortunately the 'gentleman's' agreement isn't in place because it isn't an actual rule at this stage.

Saying that, I had Newcastle striker Xisco get a call-up to the England squad in my save game :D

This would enter into the terms of lineage (parents, grandparents) and you would also need to bring out explicit examples of this as I doubt there have been many since the formal acceptance of the Union as opposed to the previously recognised common market.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/gibson-gives-mcilroy-reason-to-regret-good-friday-agreement-1832977.html

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-take-eligibility-row-to-fifa-14703989.html

Meh..

And Przyrowski is hugely underrated in the game, although that is granted as he plays his trade in Poland.

Przyrowski would get along fine in a team like Man City for example. Given would still be first choice goalkeeper in this scenerio, but Przyrowski would easily be able to compete with him and get a few games, and if Given get's injured in this scenerio, Przyrowski would have an easy time covering for him.

Przyrowski > Kuszczak, Fabianski and Zaluska IMO

You're joking, right? Przyrowski has no chance of becoming a goalkeeper in a decent european team and Kuszczak, Fabiański (despite his match with Porto and in the cup) are much much better than him. I don't know what you see in him but he's an average Polish league gk. IMO Szczęsny from Arsenal is a much better prospect than him. The fact that Przyrowski played some matches lately in the NT doesn't mean he's the best Polish GK, come on.

This has been discussed many times previously. Almunia is an EU resident and as such according to EU law he cannot change nationality to another EU member state, national law will probably alter this but take this one to court and you'll open a whole can of worms.

Do you actually have a source for this assertion? I know of plenty of chess players who have freely changed nationality between EU member states.

This has been discussed many times previously. Almunia is an EU resident and as such according to EU law he cannot change nationality to another EU member state,

Wrong. Hundreds of EU citizens adopt British nationality each month in London alone. (I deal with this at work all the time, so it's fact, not speculation.)

You're joking, right? Przyrowski has no chance of becoming a goalkeeper in a decent european team and Kuszczak, Fabiański (despite his match with Porto and in the cup) are much much better than him. I don't know what you see in him but he's an average Polish league gk. IMO Szczęsny from Arsenal is a much better prospect than him. The fact that Przyrowski played some matches lately in the NT doesn't mean he's the best Polish GK, come on.

I disagree, from what I have seen of him, Przyrowski could do a good job at a mid-table English club.

We haven't seen Kuszczak on form like he had in Poland, so I don't know what to think of him, and Fabianski is too inexperienced.

I still think that Boruc is the best Polish goalkeeper but he is to unreliable for the NT.

Wrong. Hundreds of EU citizens adopt British nationality each month in London alone. (I deal with this at work all the time, so it's fact, not speculation.)

Dual nationality, not single nationality. They dont drop their previous nationality but rather accept another one. You seem to forget that UK is excempt from certain European agreements at the moment, this is being pushed for change however the ppl you mention are hardly going to be a major loss to their initial country so it wont even move the can of worms. As for speculation, what speculation? Look up the EU rules, those that ppl were not allowed to vote for but they made Ireland backtrack and accept. That is the only relevant fact.

Dual nationality, not single nationality. They dont drop their previous nationality but rather accept another one. You seem to forget that UK is excempt from certain European agreements at the moment, this is being pushed for change however the ppl you mention are hardly going to be a major loss to their initial country so it wont even move the can of worms. As for speculation, what speculation? Look up the EU rules, those that ppl were not allowed to vote for but they made Ireland backtrack and accept. That is the only relevant fact.

But the footballers who change from one country to another are doing it under dual nationality. If Almunia were to take British citizenship and play for England, he wouldn't have to give up his Spanish nationality.

I did start an England game once I had the 10.3 patch and I called almunia up gave him one cap and now hes 2nd 3rd choice (hart is my number 1 because I think fosters stats are greatly overrated and wont put him in as 1st on principle :p)

I was expecting some sort of news item about having called up a foreigner or at least some remark towards it being controversial as we all know it would be but it seemed to go down just fine and his nationality has changed to english now rather than spanish

Do you actually have a source for this assertion? I know of plenty of chess players who have freely changed nationality between EU member states.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/citizenship/fsj_citizenship_intro_en.htm

To summarise within that webpage "Citizenship of the Union is hereby established. Every person holding the nationality of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union . Citizenship of the Union shall complement and not replace national citizenship.”

In practice, it means that any person who holds the nationality of an EU Member State is automatically a European citizen. The question of whether an individual possesses the nationality of a Member State is settled solely by reference to the national law of the Member State concerned. Thus it is for each Member State to lay down the conditions for the acquisition and loss of nationality."

So in layman terms, once you have one nationality which belongs to a member state you cannot adopt another if your current one refuses you to do so. The UK never signed Maastricht hence it can argue being exempt to this but it has consequently signed various other treaties including Lisbon that back this up thereby it would open the whole can of worms I mentioned a while back on this and a previous thread on the subject.

Personally I doubt Spain would object to Almunia playing for Spain but knowing them you never know and if this was taken to the Eu court of Justice it would cause no end of problems.

But the footballers who change from one country to another are doing it under dual nationality. If Almunia were to take British citizenship and play for England, he wouldn't have to give up his Spanish nationality.

He would from a football perspective as the sport is tied to patriotism. Can you imagine an England v Spain with Almunia in goal? It could result in Spain lodging a complaint or work to their favour if the player was influenced to help them out. Either way its not a situation anyone wants to push, hence the no-no of the moment from Capello.

The EU would push for an EU team along the lines of the USA arguing that having separate nations affects the European basic model. Its a case of federalism rearing its head.

spot on :thup:

just pick a random foreign player who has been in prem for several years

you will see in his personal bio

the nations he is eligible for other nations etc

at the bottom of the screen there is another section

showing nations he has lived/played in and residency rules in days...........

if player is capped for another country/has a first or secend eu nation eligibilty......it will say he sees no point in being a british citizen

I have here the results of the England women's team from the 2008 chess Olympiad. See the Lithuania-England match? Both countries are EU members, and the England team contained a Lithuanian who'd transferred to England (Dagne Ciuksyte). If this were forbidden by EU law, you'd think someone would have said something.

(That England team, incidentally, also contained a naturalized German - Lauterbach - and a naturalized Armenian - Grigoryan-Lyell.)

I have here the results of the England women's team from the 2008 chess Olympiad. See the Lithuania-England match? Both countries are EU members, and the England team contained a Lithuanian who'd transferred to England (Dagne Ciuksyte). If this were forbidden by EU law, you'd think someone would have said something.

(That England team, incidentally, also contained a naturalized German - Lauterbach - and a naturalized Armenian - Grigoryan-Lyell.)

enough said really

the bottom line is a player who is uncapped and has resided here for the set period i.e. 5 years is eligible;)

the only issue is the british thing........the player might be decent but not good enough for england(no disrespect here intended) but might be good enough for another home nation

so they can select to play for them

the only complication might be you have to reside in that country(wales/scotland etc) to be eligible.....I dont thank that is the case though as we are all issued british passports are we not;)

Yes, I agree, it could easily be introduced in the same way as the Basque 'nationality'.

The only said thing about this thread is how whatever the rules you guys are adament its your way or the highway. There was another thread on this ages ago and the chess thing was mentioned as in their federation was of an amateur level and not governed by an International or European body. Uefa and Fifa have a lot of say on these matters and Football is separate to any other example regarding your average joe blogs. I think if a situation similar to Almunia arrised with a better player then it would create problems with the European governing bodies however I only have the legal statutes to back me on this whereas you guys have your personal belief. :)

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/citizenship/fsj_citizenship_intro_en.htm

To summarise within that webpage "Citizenship of the Union is hereby established. Every person holding the nationality of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union . Citizenship of the Union shall complement and not replace national citizenship.”

In practice, it means that any person who holds the nationality of an EU Member State is automatically a European citizen. The question of whether an individual possesses the nationality of a Member State is settled solely by reference to the national law of the Member State concerned. Thus it is for each Member State to lay down the conditions for the acquisition and loss of nationality."

So in layman terms, once you have one nationality which belongs to a member state you cannot adopt another if your current one refuses you to do so. The UK never signed Maastricht hence it can argue being exempt to this but it has consequently signed various other treaties including Lisbon that back this up thereby it would open the whole can of worms I mentioned a while back on this and a previous thread on the subject.

Personally I doubt Spain would object to Almunia playing for Spain but knowing them you never know and if this was taken to the Eu court of Justice it would cause no end of problems.

I think you've completely misunderstood this, it isn't saything that somebody cannot change their nationality it's saying that it is up to the individual governments of each member state of the EU to decide how and when a person can gain (and also lose) a nationality.

I think you've completely misunderstood this, it isn't saything that somebody cannot change their nationality it's saying that it is up to the individual governments of each member state of the EU to decide how and when a person can gain (and also lose) a nationality.

And in Football this means that its upto the federation where the player originates from to decide if that player represents another nation within the EU. I havent misunderstood, makes perfect sense. In this example ALmunia could not simply play for England as it would depend on Spain and England achieving an agreement on him playing. For a more sought after player this seems unlikely to happen.

Archived