Are they ever goling to change this?

I dominate, grab a goal, competely cease scoring after 1 goal (save, save, save, super goalie, etc) and then the irritating computer AI, totally and completely out of the blue, hits me with a sucker punch to end the game a miserable draw. This happens A LOT....

And I hate always scoring near the end of half time 90% of the time.

Have you tried different tactics?

I can't be arsed changing my tactics. I don't mind losing but I appear to be losing in some sort of set pattern.

I dread dominating a game because I hardly ever win when I dominate.

Edit: Dropping points I mean.

I can't be arsed changing my tactics.

Says it all really.

I don't mind losing but I appear to be losing in some sort of set pattern.

Have you clicked with team talks yet?

i'm the laziest person ever with tactics and I don't have this problem. it's really pretty formulaic. I literally don't change anything except the overall mentality (cautious / control / attacking / whatever) - and even then, I rarely change it until the 70th minute or so. after 70 minutes if I have a slender lead, I change to "contain" and "take fewer risks". if I'm behind, I change to "attacking" or "overload" depending on the context of the match and how well I'm playing.

it's literally, like, 10 mouse clicks over the course of the game. dunno why you would complain without even doing this much.

i'm the laziest person ever with tactics and I don't have this problem. it's really pretty formulaic. I literally don't change anything except the overall mentality (cautious / control / attacking / whatever) - and even then, I rarely change it until the 70th minute or so. after 70 minutes if I have a slender lead, I change to "contain" and "take fewer risks". if I'm behind, I change to "attacking" or "overload" depending on the context of the match and how well I'm playing.

it's literally, like, 10 mouse clicks over the course of the game. dunno why you would complain without even doing this much.

Hey I'm not happy when I win either. In most of my games I always score 5-10 minutes before half time. The general play is just a tad too predictable.

Edit: Not enough variety in my opinion. Just sick of winning and losing the same way all the time.

Yeah you totaly have to check your tactics, that really makes a different.

For instance, I was using man marking system, then changed to zonal, worked for a long time until the ai found how to beat it, then went to default marking and now im winning loads again!

Also make sure your striker don't just relax after just scoring one goal, I call this the Celtic Syndrome!

"I can't be arsed changing my tactics. I don't mind losing but I appear to be losing in some sort of set pattern."

You cannot expect consistent results if you play every game, home or away, start to finish with the same tactics? Have you never heard of closing out a game when winning?

Go to the Tactics forum and read some of the top threads in there and you will understand the game better and learn how to adjust your tactics to get success.

Now I can be arsed to change my tactics and I have a pretty good grasp of team talks and this seems to happen an awful lot to me as well.

I go one nil up and absolutely dominate the game, but due to the opposition getting every one behind the ball and their keeper being on a high due to a few too many CCC one on ones giving him confidence I don't score a second.

Then one of three things happen:

1) Low and behold the opposition hit me on the break, their striker gets one and one with my keeper, but unlike my strikers who shoot straight at the keeper, he slots it into the far corner.

2) The opposition midfielder scores a screamer from 30 yards out.

3) The get a corner (or rarely a cross) in to the box and their 5'6" striker out jumps my 6'2" keeper and nods the ball into the net.

So far this season this has happened to me 4 times in 9 games.

Now I know this sounds like a moan, but to be fair, I know why it is happening and my frustration is only at my self being unable to get that second goal and kill the game off.

I have no doubt that these games will be 3-1 to me when the CCC problem is fixed in patch 10.3 as I do tend to have a lot of chances where my star £56million striker is one on one with the keeper.

Now I can be arsed to change my tactics and I have a pretty good grasp of team talks and this seems to happen an awful lot to me as well.

I go one nil up and absolutely dominate the game, but due to the opposition getting every one behind the ball and their keeper being on a high due to a few too many CCC one on ones giving him confidence I don't score a second.

Then one of three things happen:

1) Low and behold the opposition hit me on the break, their striker gets one and one with my keeper, but unlike my strikers who shoot straight at the keeper, he slots it into the far corner.

2) The opposition midfielder scores a screamer from 30 yards out.

3) The get a corner (or rarely a cross) in to the box and their 5'6" striker out jumps my 6'2" keeper and nods the ball into the net.

So far this season this has happened to me 4 times in 9 games.

Now I know this sounds like a moan, but to be fair, I know why it is happening and my frustration is only at my self being unable to get that second goal and kill the game off.

I have no doubt that these games will be 3-1 to me when the CCC problem is fixed in patch 10.3 as I do tend to have a lot of chances where my star £56million striker is one on one with the keeper.

I have exactly the same problem with Dzeko, which is why I refuse to play the game until the new patch is released. These people are wrong, you don't need to change your tactic, because by the sounds of things, you should be 3 or 4 nil up anyway!

I have exactly the same problem with Dzeko, which is why I refuse to play the game until the new patch is released. These people are wrong, you don't need to change your tactic, because by the sounds of things, you should be 3 or 4 nil up anyway!

Hmmmm interesting, It is also Dzeko I am having the problem with.

Hey I'm not happy when I win either. In most of my games I always score 5-10 minutes before half time. The general play is just a tad too predictable.

Edit: Not enough variety in my opinion. Just sick of winning and losing the same way all the time.

This is a massive problem for me with FM10. There is a total lack or randomness.

In almost every situation the game creates I can predict the outcome. And there is nothing I can do about it, I have tried everything.

I have been playing the game years successfully and the last two versions are like trying to outwit a computer program before it finds your weakness, which it will do. For example if you are 2-0 up with 18 minutes to go and you have dominated the entire match, the AI will show slight signs of recovery. If you don't change something before a certain time then you are stuffed, they will come back and get a draw or a win. This is not random, real life football is. Yes teams may put pressure on in the last 15 minutes but they rarely (compared to FM) complete a comeback in such circumstances.

FM10 is too rigid. I never feel as if the result will be defined by individual skill from one of my players, but by a set scenario chosen by the coding of the game which suits the parameters I have set prior to launching the simulation. WOW that sounds enjoyable!

Well flagged up arggggg, nice point.

What should happen in football, and what does happen are two very different things.

It could be his tactics and, as he has stated several times, he simply can't be bothered with them. Personally, I don't think he has the right to moan if he can't put the time and effort into the game.

What should happen in football, and what does happen are two very different things.

It could be his tactics and, as he has stated several times, he simply can't be bothered with them. Personally, I don't think he has the right to moan if he can't put the time and effort into the game.

Vic Taylor, rarely have I seen someone who doesn't understand football as much as you.

One minute you are saying tactics are everything, then you back down and say that isn't so. Then the comment you put above is suggesting that real life football is random, which it is of course. Then you suggest that the fact he isn't getting randomness is due to his tactics? Bizarre to say the least as tactics are only one small part of random occurrences.

Vic Taylor, rarely have I seen someone who doesn't understand football as much as you.

One minute you are saying tactics are everything, then you back down and say that isn't so. Then the comment you put above is suggesting that real life football is random, which it is of course. Then you suggest that the fact he isn't getting randomness is due to his tactics? Bizarre to say the least as tactics are only one small part of random occurrences.

Well... that non-plussed me a little, to say the least.

When I have ever said that tactics are "everything" or "nothing"?

Your comment:

Then the comment you put above is suggesting that real life football is random' date=' which it is of course.[/quote']

Contradicts your earlier comment:

Vic Taylor' date=' rarely have I seen someone who doesn't understand football as much as you.[/quote']

As you have first said I know nothing about football, and then said that one of my points is correct.

And I've also stated several times on different threads that the number of things that affect a single game is huge.

You want to think your answer through for a while?

Well... that non-plussed me a little, to say the least.

When I have ever said that tactics are "everything" or "nothing"?

Your comment:

Contradicts your earlier comment:

As you have first said I know nothing about football, and then said that one of my points is correct.

And I've also stated several times on different threads that the number of things that affect a single game is huge.

You want to think your answer through for a while?

Ther is nothing contradicting in my statement whatsoever actually so I suggest you drop the snooty, condescending tone (which I have seen you use with many other users) immediately.

I said your message suggests something, it doesn't say you stated something. Also just because I said that I agree with you on one point, doesn't mean you don't have a clue about the 9 million other points which make up the difference between understanding real life football and simulated football on a game.

I have a right to state my opinion, just as you have the right to call people lazy, tell them they are playing the game wrong, insinuate people don't know what they are talking about (which is worse than telling someone as it is patronising) and make all the other derogatory statements which complete your annoying existence on here.

In my opinion, your opinions are worthless. I have seen you say tactics tactics tactics over and over. Go buy another record because I would imagine a lot of people are sick of hearing the same old broken one you reel out.

This makes my statement that you know nothing about real life football clear to me. I have no doubt you will come up with a load of old tosh about how you disagree. Well, carry on, I couldn't care less. Just wanted to state my point as seeing you produce the same old crap time and time again on so many threads is annoying, you ruin so many good threads with the crap you type.

Ther is nothing contradicting in my statement whatsoever actually so I suggest you drop the snooty, condescending tone (which I have seen you use with many other users) immediately.

You first said that I know nothing about football, and then said that one of my points was correct. What part of that didn't you understand?

I said your message suggests something' date=' it doesn't say you stated something. Also just because I said that I agree with you on one point, doesn't mean you don't have a clue about the 9 million other points which make up the difference between understanding real life football and simulated football on a game.[/quote']

No, actually. You said I said something. You didn't mention anything about suggesting. And I understand football quite well, thank you.

I have a right to state my opinion' date=' just as you have the right to call people lazy, tell them they are playing the game wrong, insinuate people don't know what they are talking about (which is worse than telling someone as it is patronising) and make all the other derogatory statements which complete your annoying existence on here.[/quote']

I never said you didn't have a right to state your opinion.

I have called one person on this forum lazy, and it was in jest. You should know this if you have looked through my posts, as the user came back and took it as a joke.

I have never told anyone they are playing the game wrong. If someone spends their money on a game, they can play it however they wish.

I believe it was you who said I didn't know what I was talking about, not the other way round.

In my opinion' date=' your opinions are worthless. I have seen you say tactics tactics tactics over and over. Go buy another record because I would imagine a lot of people are sick of hearing the same old broken one you reel out.[/quote']

In my opinion, I don't care about your opinion.

This makes my statement that you know nothing about real life football clear to me. I have no doubt you will come up with a load of old tosh about how you disagree. Well' date=' carry on, I couldn't care less. Just wanted to state my point as seeing you produce the same old crap time and time again on so many threads is annoying, you ruin so many good threads with the crap you type.[/quote']

Mmm... and have you bothered to read any of the threads where I have obviously helped people?

Thought not. Don't comment on my posting quality until you have read all of my posts.

Still, if you "dominate" a match then the tactics aren't always to blame. Could be that what OP meant was in such a scenario it is difficult to say the tactics were wrong since it was winning the match until the AI simply decided to give itself a magical confidence boost and score regardless. I do get that feeling sometimes.

Look, if you were dominating the game against lesser opposition, all your players playing with confidence or motivated, why on earth would you change things in the last 15mins? Only possible reason? : So that I don't get screwed over by AI. This is just wrong.

Still, if you "dominate" a match then the tactics aren't always to blame. Could be that what OP meant was in such a scenario it is difficult to say the tactics were wrong since it was winning the match until the AI simply decided to give itself a magical confidence boost and score regardless. I do get that feeling sometimes.

Look, if you were dominating the game against lesser opposition, all your players playing with confidence or motivated, why on earth would you change things in the last 15mins? Only possible reason? : So that I don't get screwed over by AI. This is just wrong.

Correct, which is what I was saying when I mentioned randomness. There is none in this game.

So you don't think managers such as Sir Al might tell his full backs to stop taking as many risks and stay back a bit more? Or that he might ask one of his midfielder to drop a bit deeper to protect the defence and stop the counter? The opposition is going to try and get a result. It's not just going to roll over because your dominating, and as the game goes on, they will get more desperate. If you aren't prepared to take measures to prevent these, then you're going to suffer.

Do you think Ferguson tells his players to go kamikaze for the whole match, regardless of the situation?

Nope, if they need to secure three points, they'll stop attacking furiously and try and run the game out a bit. In FM terms, they'll go to "control" or "counter".

I agree that, at present, there is a minor problem with the Match Engine seemingly demanding a tactical change where one may not be needed, but it is not nearly as bad as the swelling masses of complaint make it out to be.

Funny how you ignore posts (mine for one) that defeat your POV and go against your opinions, isn't it?

As I said, your opinion is worthless to me. That is why I didn't reply to you. It has nothing to do with the fact we disagree. I have plenty of debates on here with people worth talking to, you are not one of them.

You tried to say the same (yawn), when you copied my reply regarding opinions being worthless, obviously you was talking bo**ocks as usual as you can't help but reply even when I try to continue with the topic.

Please try to bring something new as I won't be replying to you again, because like I said, and I am having to repeat, you are not really worth talking to. :D

Do you think Ferguson tells his players to go kamikaze for the whole match, regardless of the situation?

Nope, if they need to secure three points, they'll stop attacking furiously and try and run the game out a bit. In FM terms, they'll go to "control" or "counter".

I agree that, at present, there is a minor problem with the Match Engine seemingly demanding a tactical change where one may not be needed, but it is not nearly as bad as the swelling masses of complaint make it out to be.

Yes but just because you are 2-0 doesn't mean you are Kamikaze does it? It could just be attacking football which they look to continue.

As I said, your opinion is worthless to me. That is why I didn't reply to you. It has nothing to do with the fact we disagree. I have plenty of debates on here with people worth talking to, you are not one of them.

You tried to say the same (yawn), when you copied my reply regarding opinions being worthless, obviously you was talking bo**ocks as usual as you can't help but reply even when I tried to continue with the topic.

Please try to bring something new (to what) as I won't be replying to you again, because like I said, and I am having to repeat, you are not really worth talking to. :D

I highly suspect you're not arguing with me simply because you know I can disprove your argument and you're scared of losing face. I find you rather funny, if truth be told.

Oh, btw, I corrected some stuff in your last post. :thup:

Leeds*3, stop being such a petulant child and a WUM. If you have nothing of any use to anybody to say, then I suggest you stop posting on this forum.

I'd like to remind you of these rules.

Do not abuse other members

There is no place for abuse on the forums, so do not belitte/abuse and/or flame other users. If you do not like a post, we ask that you either a) ignore the post or b) use the report button if it is breaking any of these rules.

Do not swear/purposefully avoid the swear filter

Any use of foul language, filtered or not, will be dealt with at the moderators' discretion.

Do not post with the intention to antagonise others (trolling)

Do not post simple to incite a reaction from a fellow poster. Those on one the other end of trolling, should ignore posts of this manner.

If you continue to post in such a manner, I will be force to press the "report" button and file a report against you.

Leeds*3, stop being such a petulant child and a WUM. If you have nothing of any use to anybody to say, then I suggest you stop posting on this forum.

If you continue to post in such a manner, I will be force to press the "report" button and file a report against you.

Thanks for the support, mate. :)

Yes but just because you are 2-0 doesn't mean you are Kamikaze does it? It could just be attacking football which they look to continue.

Ferguson still takes measures to stop the opposition getting a foothold in the game. He slows play down, doesn't commit as many players in the attack and deploys a more cautious passing style to ensure they retain possesion. Thats not to say they don't still attack, it's just more of a cautious approach and as I said before, if you aren't prepared to take these measures yourself, thats your problem.

I'd like to remind you of these rules.

Get over yourself, do you really think the threat of a report button is going to bother me?

The debate between me and the guy who has resorted to correcting 'mistakes' because he can do nothing else is exactly that, between me and him, not you. I told him to stop it and he carried it on again so if you are going to 'report' anyone it should be him, or are you unaware of that fact?

Edit: I insinuated he should stop it, he clearly doesn't have the intelligence to deduce from this that he should....

Get over yourself, do you really think the threat of a report button is going to bother me?

The debate between me and the guy who has resorted to correcting 'mistakes' because he can do nothing else is exactly that, between me and him, not you. I told him to stop it and he carried it on again so if you are going to 'report' anyone it should be him, or are you unaware of that fact?

I find it extremely funny that you keep coming out with things you think you said, but in fact haven't. Hmm...

And it quite obviously isn't between only me and you, as you have stated that you aren't replying to me any longer. Therefore, helping you with your grammar is the only thing I can help you on.

Also, everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it be on the game, or on our discussion.

Ferguson still takes measures to stop the opposition getting a foothold in the game. He slows play down, doesn't commit as many players in the attack and deploys a more cautious passing style to ensure they retain possesion. Thats not to say they don't still attack, it's just more of a cautious approach and as I said before, if you aren't prepared to take these measures yourself, thats your problem.

Well like I said earlier, sometimes it doesn't matter what you do does it? If you don't do it before a certain time then you are stuffed are there is no random nature to the game.

Ferguson is very clever in the way he goes about games. Most games he'll start quick and attack. After a while he'll sit back for 10 mins and give the opposition a bit of the ball which leads to them becoming more open then bang, united take the ball, go on the counter and its in the net.

Even Arsenal fell for it last week. It doesnt always work but the majority of the time it does

I know what you are saying but there is nothing like that happening in this game is there?

There are set scenarios as have been described by many people which seem to be happening and people are winning and losing the same way all the time. It is almost as if you can predict what is going to happen, I know I can!

I can't be arsed changing my tactics. I don't mind losing but I appear to be losing in some sort of set pattern.

As others have said this is the root of your problem. If you are 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go you need to change your tactics because the other team is going to throw caution to the wind to get a goal.

All you need to do is take 5 minutes to set up a defensive counter attack tactic which you can switch to every time you're in this situation. You only need to do it once and it will save you hours of grief.

It comes down to it being a bit of a 'to each their own' sort of argument in regard to tactics. I must say I disagree that if you don'tchange your tactics you won't do as well. I have played with the same tactic (pretty much) for 3 seasns and have won the league on every occasion won 2 minor Continental comps and 2 major Continental comps. Tactics are important and if you can create one that suits your team, and have the right players playing for you, with a high morale you will win more often then not. I never change mentalities I just let my players go out and play.

It comes down to it being a bit of a 'to each their own' sort of argument in regard to tactics. I must say I disagree that if you don'tchange your tactics you won't do as well. I have played with the same tactic (pretty much) for 3 seasns and have won the league on every occasion won 2 minor Continental comps and 2 major Continental comps. Tactics are important and if you can create one that suits your team, and have the right players playing for you, with a high morale you will win more often then not. I never change mentalities I just let my players go out and play.

So you have never tweaked your tactics while at a game?

no never, I might change a couple of things before or after. Like forward runs and long shots or closing down, but that very rarely, like a handful of times over 3 seasons and usually when I am trying to find the formula to get my tactic working. But during agame the only thing I ever change is players.

no never, I might change a couple of things before or after. Like forward runs and long shots or closing down, but that very rarely, like a handful of times over 3 seasons and usually when I am trying to find the formula to get my tactic working. But during agame the only thing I ever change is players.

... Wow. Got to hand it to you, mate. I'd find it hard to do that.

So even if the other team puts 4 or 5 players up front in the closing stages of an important match you don't react at all! that doesn't sound very sensible.

I think it's the limited range of options that the AI managers seem to use. In FM08 (and to a lesser extent 09) the AI manager would always go 4-2-4 and catch out the players who refused to change their tactics. The predictability comes from the fact that there are only a limited number of situations that come up in a match when one of the teams (usually the user) is of a much higher quality.

The difficulty in perception is that when people watch football, they watch a range of matches between teams of varying reputations, playing personnel and levels of competition. In FM the player only (or mostly if you like to scout) watches their own team. So, when you go one-nil up there are only a few situations you ever see play out.

1) You are playing against a poorer team. They are playing defensively looking to nick a goal on the counter so you going a goal up doesn't change their approach. Your team tire quicker and then one of the AI's breakaways finally catches you out.

2) You are playing against an equal team. Your players become more complacent as the game draws on and a mistake is made which lets the opposition in to score.

3) You are playing against a better team. You go a goal up so they go more attacking. This is where you should drop deeper and look to counter but you can't be bothered. They eventually break you down and score.

I know that these are fairly basic generalisations but I think that these are the regular scenarios some people see played out over the course of a season. I don't think there is anything 'un-football' about any of those.

If you want an insight into how the AI managers change their tactics depending on game situation try playing as a poor team with a defensive tactic. At 0-0 your tactic works well and keeps the better opposition at bay whilst making quick attacks. You score first and go 1-0 up. The opposition pile on the pressure, go more attacking and equalise. The game situation at 1-1 is the same to the AI as 0-0, they ease off so your tactic starts to work again and you go 2-1 up. This can yoyo for 90 minutes quite comfortably and it is only really a case of when in the match the goals are scored that decide the outcome.

Yes, the AI is very predictable.

It is quite feasible to guarantee a win against potential banana skin sides by ensuring you are not ahead at half time. Simply play extremely defensive for the entire 1st half and go in at half time 0-0. Tell your team you are disappointed and send them out with an attacking tactic for the second half and they will absolutely dominate with no chance of a come back.

It works like a charm but it is a bit lame.

Well, it's a well-known fact that you can't dominate a game completely, because then you won't win. I would call it the "Arsenal effect"... You play wonderful football, you dominate completely, usually create 30+ chances of which 20 goes at goal... But you don't score. Simple as that, must be hardcoded in the game. If you wanna win, play counter however good you are. That works better.

Well, it's a well-known fact that you can't dominate a game completely, because then you won't win. I would call it the "Arsenal effect"... You play wonderful football, you dominate completely, usually create 30+ chances of which 20 goes at goal... But you don't score. Simple as that, must be hardcoded in the game. If you wanna win, play counter however good you are. That works better.

I think that's a view shared by anyone who faced Greece in Euro 2004

It's not hardcoded or anything like that. It's simply a case of how clear cut the chances are. When a team sits with 10 men behind the ball the opposition might have 30 shots but none of them are clear cut chances because there is no space.

The counter attacking team, on the other hand, is probably 2v2 or 3v3 and so the chances when they come are going to be much easier.

Archived