Anyone gone back to 07 until 09 comes out?

So after struggling to get into a long term save on 09 I've gone back to 07 to do a save with Nottingham Forest. Anyone else done the same?

I'm presuming you mean FM10. ;)

About to start a new game on FM09, after having a nasty bout of Restartitis (a condition which causes the user to repeatedly start a new save due to varying causes).

Close. I've decided to give up on Football Manager until the new one is out, and have gone back to Final Fantasy 7 instead (another game I haven't completed, despite having it for almost 8 years!). I can't get into casual games anymore, if its not a long-term save, I don't really care.

[...] having a nasty bout of Restartitis (a condition which causes the user to repeatedly start a new save due to things not going my way).

Fixed :D;)

I've just forced myself off a Lazio career and finally uninstalled FM09, but mostly 'cos my Darth-Modded Empire Total War needs some loving before FM10 comes out.

Fixed :D;)

Actually, no. :p

I started a game a few days ago and was distracted by internet doings and other gamey stuff that I completely lost track of my save. Even though we were top of the league after a couple of months, I restarted because I'd rather concentrate on the game and risk losing, than win without having mentally been part of it all.

I think each game is better than the previous. Also having played with the 3D match engine i'd find it very difficult to go back to 2D, same as when 2D came out i'd have found it difficult to go back to text.

Until I installed Windows 7, I was totally 2D due to bad stutters in 3D, especially in replays (shudder). Windows 7 has totally removed all of these stutters, and for the past few days I've been playing 3D with the Elevated camera position, happily watching replays as well. \o/

Looks like my position in CAMRAD could be a bit shaky...

Until I installed Windows 7, I was totally 2D due to bad stutters in 3D, especially in replays (shudder). Windows 7 has totally removed all of these stutters, and for the past few days I've been playing 3D with the Elevated camera position, happily watching replays as well. \o/

DON'T DO IT.

Though 3D seems to be getting better this year.

Yeah, the elevated camera is definately the smoothest (regardless of your operating system) and also the best view anyway as you get to see pretty much the whole pitch at all times

Yeah, the elevated camera is definately the smoothest (regardless of your operating system) and also the best view anyway as you get to see pretty much the whole pitch at all times

That's really important to me and it's one big reason why I use 2D classic. I want to see the whole pitch!

Why this obsession with making it look like the game is being shown on television?

A football manager watches his team from the dugout and will be able to look across the whole pitch to see his players' positioning and movement on and off the ball.

I don't want to watch a TV view! :mad:

C.

[/b]

That's really important to me and it's one big reason why I use 2D classic. I want to see the whole pitch!

Why this obsession with making it look like the game is being shown on television?

A football manager watches his team from the dugout and will be able to look across the whole pitch to see his players' positioning and movement on and off the ball.

C.

He's gonna blow! *flees*

[/b]

C.

I think I prefer a 'TV view' to a 'real life' view as I just couldn't play without all the available stats that come with a 'TV view'. I love using the widgets and checking the latest scores and table during the match, along with look at the match stats.

He's gonna blow! *flees*

:D

I think I prefer a 'TV view' to a 'real life' view as I just couldn't play without all the available stats that come with a 'TV view'. I love using the widgets and checking the latest scores and table during the match, along with look at the match stats.

I don't really like the widgets. I just found them kind of annoying to be honest, especially when they kept resetting themselves randomly etc. I found they just got in the way most of the time.

I was much happier with the split screen style of FM08. Shows a highlight and then switches back to split screen where you can load up any windows you want.

The widgets are fairly pointless for me anyway, as I always pause the game to study the stats when I have a decision to make!

C.

:D

I don't really like the widgets. I just found them kind of annoying to be honest, especially when they kept resetting themselves randomly etc. I found they just got in the way most of the time.

I was much happier with the split screen style of FM08. Shows a highlight and then switches back to split screen where you can load up any windows you want.

The widgets are fairly pointless for me anyway, as I always pause the game to study the stats when I have a decision to make!

I just meant that a 'TV view' makes looking at all those stats screens a bit more realistic, a 'manager's view' of the match wouldn't have all that information instantly available.

It's a bit like the difference in watching a match on TV and in real life, sat in the stands you get an impression of which team is dominating possession etc. but watching on TV you get all the stats fed to you.

I've actually gone back to 08 after struggling to get on with 09. I'll probably stick with that even after 10 has come out.
Same as Raware.

Having a lot of fun with FM08 right now. :cool:

08 was my favorite version. Playing 09 at the minute though.

I'm really curious what all you good people like so much about FM08. I thought both 07 and 09 miles more playable. FM is more of a massive tactic tweaking minigame than anything I can enjoy. Or that's how it seemed to me. I didn't buy it.

FM08, for me, is excellent until you get to the grey teams (near unbeatable with lower league teams), and regens supposedly having poor physical stats, although if someone were to show me regens aren't all that bad in FM08, then it might sway me into having one more crack at it.

I'm really curious what all you good people like so much about FM08. I thought both 07 and 09 miles more playable. FM is more of a massive tactic tweaking minigame than anything I can enjoy. Or that's how it seemed to me. I didn't buy it.

I just got into a very enjoyable save on there with Braintree. If I had not got into that save, then I may have took a different stance on the game. I really enjoyed the Flex skin that Smurfdude made for it as well and found it a lot better looking than 09.

I just got into a very enjoyable save on there with Braintree. If I had not got into that save, then I may have took a different stance on the game. I really enjoyed the Flex skin that Smurfdude made for it as well and found it a lot better looking than 09.

What are the regens like, please thankyou kindly sir? :D

I couldn't get on with 09 due to the massive ambiguity of the tactics. One week my side would be playing perfectly, just how I instructed them and then the next week they were playing like pish, nothing like I instructed them to. Then there was the problem with the injury bug; supposedly it had been sorted but I still found the injuries to be far too unrealistic. Yes, it had been toned down in 9.3 from 9.0 but I was still averaging 60+ injuries in a row for a number of seasons and my tactics and training were no where near 'hard'. Strangely though, I had probably my longest save on any CM/FM on 09. But, the problems I was experiencing was leaving me frustrated and that's not how I want to feel when i'm playing 'a game'.

07, I enjoyed and also had another good game going on there but I no longer have the game. :(

08, for me, was the best due to the fun factor it has and I suppose because I had my most successful save on there with Happy Valley. It also runs a lot quicker and I prefer the match engine, it looks and runs how a game is supposed to. People will argue the point about grey teams being too strong and they've probably got a fair point, but it's not a game breaker for me as I rarely play these teams. The other problem with 08 was the regens who people say had low physical stats; some did and some didn't but it doesn't effect me as I don't wholey rely on corners etc. I've got more fun from 08 than any other CM/FM game and that's the reason i've gone back to it.

As I said, 10 will have to be something pretty special for me to buy it and the inclusion of an editor doesn't sway me. But, i'll wait and see what the demo is like and what the game is like by January when it's been fully patched and maybe i'll buy it.

Just out of interest, why do you find 09 the best and what was so wrong 08 that stopped you playing it?

Just out of interest, why do you find 09 the best and what was so wrong 08 that stopped you playing it?

Mh, I can't say I had an injury bug. Guess I didn't play long enough before the latest patch and then started a new game to have Super-VagnerLove :D. Though I had the impression that Balotelli got nerfed a little bit in comparison. I have my occasional injuries, sometimes a key player is out for a while, but it's far less than the average Arsenal season with all their Rosickys and Eduardos and those kinda players. And I push my people a bit in training. However I also have excellent coaches, excellent physios and a training workload of light.

Uhm, FM08 I found was too 'hardcore-realistic' - I had the impression you needed to watch games fully and tweak, tweak, tweak to have a chance. The match engine seemed faaaar less fun. Wasn't 08 also one with notably too high or too low scoring games? I forgot which one.

Yeah, sometimes my 09 side play rather unimpressively, and like enough other people I can't make my strikers score (because they keep shooting from the edge of the box instead of getting in close), but I put the former down to a) lack of gelling, b) tactics (?) and c) the weird team talks in 09 [in 07 I coast with "you can win", while in 09 it brings you death and decay], and latter is probably due to tactics. What bothers me in 09 is that every single time a player of mine dribble in from the wings, he dribbles down basically on the line, they never cut in early or anything. But it's not tremendously bad to have everybody play like Ribéry, plus if I want to see useful crosses I can always play 07. That said, why do 7-12% of crosses arrive in 09? Somebody? This seems a fairly common problem. What's up with that?

I'm going to have one more go at FM08 or FM07 (haven't decided yet), the tactics on FM09 is getting a bit random with me again (weird "can't be bothered to stick a tackle in" issue again, and getting loads of shots hitting the framework in every match, as if the players would rather have a game of crossbars than try and score).

I couldn't get on with 09 due to the massive ambiguity of the tactics. One week my side would be playing perfectly, just how I instructed them and then the next week they were playing like pish, nothing like I instructed them to. Then there was the problem with the injury bug; supposedly it had been sorted but I still found the injuries to be far too unrealistic. Yes, it had been toned down in 9.3 from 9.0 but I was still averaging 60+ injuries in a row for a number of seasons and my tactics and training were no where near 'hard'. Strangely though, I had probably my longest save on any CM/FM on 09. But, the problems I was experiencing was leaving me frustrated and that's not how I want to feel when i'm playing 'a game'.

[...]

08, for me, was the best due to the fun factor it has and I suppose because I had my most successful save on there with Happy Valley. It also runs a lot quicker and I prefer the match engine, it looks and runs how a game is supposed to. People will argue the point about grey teams being too strong and they've probably got a fair point, but it's not a game breaker for me as I rarely play these teams. The other problem with 08 was the regens who people say had low physical stats; some did and some didn't but it doesn't effect me as I don't wholey rely on corners etc. I've got more fun from 08 than any other CM/FM game and that's the reason i've gone back to it.

Totally agree with this post Raware. You've summed up my feelings about 08 and 09 pretty much perfectly (bar the fact that it was more the ambiguity of team talks which wound me up). :thup: FM08 is just great though for the reasons you have outlined. :cool:

Long live the cult of FM08! :D

C.

Totally agree with this post Raware. You've summed up my feelings about 08 and 09 pretty much perfectly (bar the fact that it was more the ambiguity of team talks which wound me up). :thup: FM08 is just great though for the reasons you have outlined.

Long live the cult of FM08! :D

C.

I include the whole team talk issue with the tactical problems I had, they were just ridiculous! You could almost guarantee if you were 3-0 up at half time you'd end up either drawing or losing by full time! Maybe, if it was Mourinho or Sir Alex doing the team talks then fair enough, I could see the turn arounds to some extent but for a lower league manager and a lower league team to do it every time became a little tiresome.

I agree...long live 08! :thup::D

I include the whole team talk issue with the tactical problems I had, they were just ridiculous! You could almost guarantee if you were 3-0 up at half time you'd end up either drawing or losing by full time! Maybe, if it was Mourinho or Sir Alex doing the team talks then fair enough, I could see the turn arounds to some extent but for a lower league manager and a lower league team to do it every time became a little tiresome.

I agree...long live 08! :thup::D

At halftime, saying nothing or encouraging the people below a 7.0 rating seem to work for me. Being pleased can often be the usual catastrophe it's always been. I only really use pleased when I sub somebody out at halftime after he scored a hattrick or so. Though I guess that's more like delighted.

Archived