I'm being linked with the big jobs!

I know this is probably to do with my status being set to international footballer (I bet none of you score 9 goals in 40 appearances, did you? Didn't think so :() but I started a game unemployed and got recruited by Sheffield United after they fired their manager after 10 games. I haven't done amazingly well, we're about to finish the season and I'm pretty much dead in the middle of the table...like, a place above where we were when I took over. I've only won 30-40% of my games and yet I'm being linked with ALOT of jobs.

Aside from other Championship/Serie B, Liga BBV-whatever clubs, I've been the number one contender for a host of top clubs.

Newcastle wanted me, then Blackburn, then Chelsea, then Real Madrid? And yet I'm doing a really bad job down here, the board are disappointed with me and my status is insecure...in real life I wouldn't even be considered to be the youth manager of these teams.

Just seems strange lol...but back I go. Thank God I got a 3 year contract, or else I'd have been fired by now...

Haha this is very strange! Maybe you should not be fired directly, but you should certainly not get job offers from bigger clubs hahahaha....

This has never happened to me. That may be a bug in game? Have you been inside the data editor and modified?

I talk to my friend a year ago when we played FM08, he told me that if you change the data editor, then some players that don't have no potential normally will be better then they should be.

An example: You go into the data editor and create a new player, you fill in all fields as it asks you to do and then save your new database, then start a new game and select your new database. You may be playing two seasons with Leeds, we say, watch how a player who you know has no potential normally has been developed. I watched a few players after his tip and he was right but I don't know if it is the same on FM09. hahahaha...

This has never happened to me. That may be a bug in game? Have you been inside the data editor and modified?

I talk to my friend a year ago when we played FM08, he told me that if you change the data editor, then some players that don't have no potential normally will be better then they should be.

An example: You go into the data editor and create a new player, you fill in all fields as it asks you to do and then save your new database, then start a new game and select your new database. You may be playing two seasons with Leeds, we say, watch how a player who you know has no potential normally has been developed. I watched a few players after his tip and he was right but I don't know if it is the same on FM09. hahahaha...

I don't think you're right there. You'd have to edit PAs if players were to become better than usual.

It's probably to do with that high default reputation.

I was manager of Ipswich and was doing very well and i was linked with all the major jobs that came along whilst i was in the Championship in my first season. In the end I resigned as the Chairman sold all my best players before going into the PL.

It's not a bug. You're a massive manager when you started you haven't fallen from grace yet.

It happens IRL. Famous managers do a terrible job somewhere only to be hired by a big club because of their reputation.

j.ramos brought disaster to spurs, yet went to be the caretaker manager for madrid after that.. a good example.

j.ramos brought disaster to spurs, yet went to be the caretaker manager for madrid after that.. a good example.

Yeah but he had already proven himself as a great manager in Spanish football winning the UEFA cup and even won the Carling Cup with Spurs in his first season - this guy is an "international footballer" yet is being offered the Real Madrid job.. itd be the equivalent of Paolo Sousa being offered the Man U job after his mediocre season with QPR last year

Yeah but he had already proven himself as a great manager in Spanish football winning the UEFA cup and even won the Carling Cup with Spurs in his first season - this guy is an "international footballer" yet is being offered the Real Madrid job.. itd be the equivalent of Paolo Sousa being offered the Man U job after his mediocre season with QPR last year

It's a good point but unfortunately international footballers are considered to be amazing managers. Obviously IRL we know better.

*cough*ScolariUzbekistan*cough* :eek:;)

OP - are you patched up? I think before the patches there were some issues like that - especially non-league managers being offered the England job.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm "patched up" lol...I'm using 9.0.3 and I havent modified anything...I havent even looked at the modifier since 07 since it was sooooooo slow at saving! lol

Basically, I now manage Portsmouth...I finished 14th in the league my first season with Sheffield Utd, then 2nd season I'm pretty sure I was around there, possibly lower...then Portsmouth, still in the Prem, came and offered me £40m just before the January transfer window. Given that S.Utd werent letting me renew the contracts of my best players I jumped ship...I should have really been fired from Portsmouth first season since I narrowly avoided relegation (thanks to the teams below me losing more games than me, not because I got Portsmouth out of the relegation zone or anything!!) and now I'm at the start of my first full season with Pompey, 13th in the table with 9 points from 7.

It's just strange because the S.Utd board were "Disappointed" with how I was doing, Portsmouth still signed me to a long contract...I probably would have been sacked had I been on a one year contract, but I'm hoping to come good now.

I'm just pretending that the Prem teams knew that I was on a tight budget and wage allowance in the Championship ;)

But still...it's very odd that I was linked with the top, top jobs at S.Utd. If I'd have shown an interested when quizzed by the press I may have had an offer, who knows? But given that the board were disappointed with me already I didn't want to give them a reason for me to walk the plank lol.

It's not a bug. You're a massive manager when you started you haven't fallen from grace yet.

It happens IRL. Famous managers do a terrible job somewhere only to be hired by a big club because of their reputation.

Ala Rijkaard to Barca. The season before he had got Sparta relegated into the Dutch 2nd Division

It works opposite too. I won the quadruple with liverpool and decided i wanted a new challenge so i applied for the man u job. Hosts of big names were linked like Van BASTEN, mancini, Aguirre. Who got it................ Alan Curbishley lol.

i think there are certain things that need looking at in the game. every year we have new inclusions and so on' date=' but there are still tiny lil bugs that have been around for a while..[/quote']

Indeed but this isn't one of them.

Its working the way it is supposed to.

Yeah, I've noticed even when managing a somewhat lower league club (Coca Cola 1 or Irish Premier League) and not doing so great, with a starting rep of pretty average (it took me a year of game time to get offered a job at lower levels!) that whenever some high level team fired a manager, I would be listed as the top potential candidate. However, if I dared show interest and applied for the job, I would get the game equivilent of being laughed at for not being close to qualified.

I am linked, it seems, with a majority of the manager job opportunities, but never get actual offers at those levels. It does seem like a bug to me.

I started with Roda in the Dutch 1st Div and was having a mediocre season when I was linked with Real Madrid. I did chuckle to myself.

Now, in 2020, I have risen to manage Man Utd (who haven't won anything since 2009!) and in my first season I have been linked with Chelsea, Middlesboro and quite a few mediocre European teams (one team's Chairman in Italy I hadn't heard of even told me that I was the man to lead them to greater things and offered me approx £3000 pcm!).

BTW, has any manager ever left Liverpool and gone to Man Utd in CM (or any other major rivals like that)? I wouldn't have thought that was a popular move with the fans! I'm sure Benitez wouldn't be welcomed with open arms at OT!

I think it kinda is a problem...

I moved to Portsmouth, they're disappointed with me for narrowly avoiding relegation, being 4th by January then being 15th at the end of the season (I nose-dived!!)...and yet despite this, Liverpool just offered me 4 times my wages, a £85m war-chest and a 4 year contract.

I declined because it didn't seem realistic at all...and I have unfinished business with Portsmouth.

If your rep wasnt international: 1) you wouldnt get a prem job 2) you'd of been relegated because losing like 5 games in a row with poor rep is game over essentially. 3) Liverpool would still offer you millions :p.

For an ex-ENGLAND player getting a top gig is hard (in real life), if you're Dutch its easier than scratching your arse. Because all Dutch are considered quality managers/coaches due to 'total football'.

I started with Roda in the Dutch 1st Div and was having a mediocre season when I was linked with Real Madrid. I did chuckle to myself.

BTW, has any manager ever left Liverpool and gone to Man Utd in CM (or any other major rivals like that)? I wouldn't have thought that was a popular move with the fans! I'm sure Benitez wouldn't be welcomed with open arms at OT!

On one of my saves Arsene Wenger retired and Benitez went to Arsenal.

Man Utd fired Sir Alex Ferguson after apparently disappointing results (4th place)....I had finished 14th with West Ham but was still offered the job...I find that hard to beleive I got the job in front of Mourinho...

Archived