Football Manager 2009: FAQs

If your question isn't answered below, please use the search function on the forum before posting a new thread.

When is the next patch out?

The patch is scheduled to be out by the end of February.

I'm having technical problems running Football Manager 2009

Check the Known Issues and Solutions thread. This thread contains a lot of information about fixinf the most common types of error message you may encounter.

I'm having an issue activating my copy of Football Manager 2009

There are specific threads regarding phone activation, online activation and a general Q&A session with Sega

Is my PC good enough to run Football Manager 2009?

The minimum system specs are:

Mac System requirements:

The game is currently only being supported on Intel Mac's only, and the minimum requirements are - OSX 10.5.5, Nvidia Geforce 7300 / ATI X1600 Radeon. 1GB RAM.

PC System Requirements:

OS - Windows Vista or XP

Processor Speed - Vista - 2.0GHz, XP - 1.4GHz Memory - Vista - 1GB, XP - 512MB Videocard - 128MB Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater.

More RAM is recommended for a smoother gameplay and faster load.

Do I have to use Steam to authenticate/install?

No, Steam is just one method of authenticating the game and/or buying the game. You do not have to use it if you don't want to.

I've installed though Steam, do I have to run the game through Steam each time I want to play?

No you don't, you can create a shortcut to Football Manager 2009 without having to use Steam. Go to:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\

and right click the fm.exe file and choose "send to desktop (create shortcut)"

Where is the database editor?

If you installed or authenticated your game through Steam, you will find the editor at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

if you didn't use Steam at all it will be at:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

I have found something that I think is a bug, what do I do?

Search the forums to see if it has been raised before (try a couple of different terms to make sure), if not then post in the bugs forum with some evidence (screenshots, .pkm match files or saved game) you can find out information how to upload evidence to the FTP server here

There is a lack of squad harmony, why is this and how do I solve it?

There are suggestions and hints and tips in this thread

I'm finding the game too hard!

Check out the Tactics Forum for some helpful advice on where you might be going wrong

Who should I buy?

Check out the Good Players forum for some advice on recommend purchases

I want to play the game online or over a network with my friends

There is a section of the forums for online players I recommend this thread to understand the basics

I have ideas on how to improve the game in the future

Feel free to post constructive suggestions in the wishlist topic thread

I want to have reasoned and constructive debates with other Football Manager fans

You're in the right place!

Is this cheating?

You play the game how you want, everyone plays by different rules!

When will my Stadium be expanded?

It could be provided you have a decent amount of money in the bank. See here for our discussion including some thoughts from SI

I have a player with a funny personality/I have a funny picture to share with everyone.

The funny personalities are SI staff sneaked into the game and can be found by searching for faceinthegame. This works in FM08 as well. However we still like to laugh at them so post here

How do I Post a Screenshot?

* While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

* Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

* Save the file as a JPEG

* Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket

* Post the direct Url to the image here.

How do I transfer my saved game to another computer

Useful thread here explaining what you need to transfer

Struggling with Tactics?

Tactical Theorems and Frameworks- a thread in which some of the best tacticians around explain how to create a successful tactic for your side. Everything is covered here, and there are 72 tactics available to download from the opening post.

The Sheffield United Project- Cleon, managing, surprise surprise, Sheffield United, shows you how to set up a tactic, and then, more importantly, how to tweak it from match to match. He wins promotion from the Championship as Champions, and is top of the Premier League after 18 matches when the project ends. Tweaking tactics will be much easier with his help.

Wolfsong's team talk guide was originally written for FM08, but it works just as well with the version either side of it. Particularly useful with half time team talks and inspiring individual players.

Want a new challenge?

Then try CSE- the Challenges, Sign Ups and Experiments forum. Here are some of the better known challenges:

dafuge's challenge: Holiday for a season, and take over one of the clubs promoted into the Blue Square North/South. Get as far as you can- the Ultimate Aim is the World Club Championship and Premier League title!

Gundo's challenge: Exactly the same as dafuge's challenge, except for one detail- you take over a side promoted into the lowest league of a small European nation. This is even harder, as players are more likely to come to England than to Serbia...

Another couple of things that might be worth adding that often get asked are:

Instructions on how to upload a screenshot. Same for a pkm.

I'm sure I'll think of plenty more :)

Also, you might want to add a 'When is the patch out' section with a line saying that nothing has yet been announced. If that then changes then you could add a link to any info released by SI. Not relevant at the moment but it will be once the transfer window closes.

Ok, don't ruin my nice helpful FAQ thread with drivel posts!

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry. ;)

Going back to what I said further up, in the editors hideaway faq there is one for "where is the editor" and there are still several new threads created in there on that topic. So I bet there will still be posts about things in here but it is still great for you to have done it.

Also maybe add something about people enquiring about skins/facepacks etc and direct them to the skinning hideout. :thup:

Good idea mate and good to see it stickied. I still don't think it will put an end to the threads but fingers crossed it will be noticed by the majority.

I've said that and since then people have been asking questions. Naturally I've directed them here.

Yeah, you can install on up to 5 computers at the same time. :thup:

sorry for bein annoyin but ive installed fm09 on my laptop through steam and its activated on a difrent pc through d same steam account.but when it was done installing the soft anchor online activation screen comes up and i enter keycode but error -51 comes up.what going wrong and what can i do to fix this.?

sorry for bein annoyin but ive installed fm09 on my laptop through steam and its activated on a difrent pc through d same steam account.but when it was done installing the soft anchor online activation screen comes up and i enter keycode but error -51 comes up.what going wrong and what can i do to fix this.?

Look here.

when i go on data editor it wont start up and just comes up with a message saying unable to load the recources, couldnt find the data folder.

anyone know whats wrong?

Where are you loading the data editor from? If you are using a shortcut, is it located on your desktop?

Do you think it would be worthwhile having a "helpful links" thread that would be more specific than this one? Instead of answering questions or sending someone to T&T, we could give them specific useful thread- for example, T,T&F, or the Sheffield United project, or the Lyon thread in GPTG, or the dafuge challenge.

Do you think it would be worthwhile having a "helpful links" thread that would be more specific than this one? Instead of answering questions or sending someone to T&T, we could give them specific useful thread- for example, T,T&F, or the Sheffield United project, or the Lyon thread in GPTG, or the dafuge challenge.

Yes, thats a very good idea in my opinion. Would make life a lot easier for both new posters & regulars on here.

SCIAG

Just to let you know, I'm more than willing to go ahead & make a helpful links thread, that is if you don't want to make one. So by all means, make one yourself if you want :p

Of course, I won't start on it unless the idea has been approved. So does anyone else have any opinions on this please?

SCIAG

Just to let you know, I'm more than willing to go ahead & make a helpful links thread, that is if you don't want to make one. So by all means, make one yourself if you want :p

Of course, I won't start on it unless the idea has been approved. So does anyone else have any opinions on this please?

I like the idea, but I don't think there's much point as we have this thread now.

I like the idea, but I don't think there's much point as we have this thread now.

Yeah I suppose, maybe instead a few important links could be added to this thread & have the thread re-named to 'FAQs & Important Links' or somthing similar, just to avoid clutter?

Added question about squad harmony as we seem to be getting loads of those at the moment.

good, i'm massively sick of those threads. In fairness to the op's though the search function is awful, i've tried to use it a couple of times today and get the biggest load of crap.

Right, I'm going to post a simplified version of what I was thinking of- either it can be merged with the OP of this thread, or I can start one seperately, which I think would be better as it's a different concept.

Tactical Theorems and Frameworks- a thread in which some of the best tacticians around explain how to create a successful tactic for your side. Everything is covered here, and there are 72 tactics avalible to download from the opening post.

The Sheffield United Project- Cleon, managing, surprise surprise, Sheffield United, shows you how to set up a tactic, and then, more importantly, how to tweak it from match to match. She wins promotion from the Championship as Champions, and is top of the Premier League after 18 matches when the project ends. Tweaking tactics will be much easier with her help.

Wolfsong's team talk guide was originally written for FM08, but it works just as well with the version either side of it. Particuarly useful with half time team talks and inspiring indiviual players.

Want a challenge? Then try CSE- the Challenges, Sign Ups and Experiments forum. Here are some of the better known challenges:

dafuge's challenge: Holiday for a season, and take over one of the clubs promoted into the Blue Square North/South. Get as far as you can- the Ultimate Aim is the World Club Championship and Premier League title!

Gundo's challenge: Exactly the same as dafuge's challenge, except for one detail- you take over a side promoted into the lowest league of a small European nation. This is even harder, as players are more likely to come to England than to Serbia...

Another thing that could be added is the "unable to load resources" error when using the editor. There have been many people with this problem and it is caused by incorrectly creating a shortcut to the editor by actually moving the editor.exe file rather than just creating a shortcut to it. So maybe you could post how to create a shortcut correctly.

Archived