[FM21] Smarter AI - Managers + Staff - Increase the Difficulty

8 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Thanks for this! I doubt we would get an official patch anytime soon that will fix the AI managers being too passive in some matches as it seems to be a database issue.

Yea, I agree with you.

I'm trying to work on a mod to fix that attack issue, it will just need alot of testing and such...

great mod but way too hard  i struggling to beat anyone at home lol and im united i am considered expert at fm    lossed 3 friendlies ill play more see if i can win but something seems off the difficulty definitly increased but maybe TOO HIGH

3 hours ago, Azza35 said:

great mod but way too hard  i struggling to beat anyone at home lol and im united i am considered expert at fm    lossed 3 friendlies ill play more see if i can win but something seems off the difficulty definitly increased but maybe TOO HIGH

That’s sounds promising to me lol. Maybe you need to make more adjustments than you usually had to?

5 hours ago, Azza35 said:

Well..you are United...so that sounds about right...lol

Actually, friendlies aren't very good at determining what will happen for real competititions.

It's better to get the pre-season going good, focus on getting morale and team cohesion up, and such, and then start the season and test regular competitions.

OMG thank you for the great work you do on improving FM for more experienced/advanced players such as myself - this improved AI thing makes the game playable. I used most of your mods last year (FM20) without realising or knowing it came from one and the same source. You're a godsend! Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great job!

One question, do you keep updating the managers after the first season? I mean for Newgen managers that are created and that probably are not up to par with the edited ones and that will lower down the AI level after a few seasons.

13 minutes ago, Icy said:

Thanks for the great job!

One question, do you keep updating the managers after the first season? I mean for Newgen managers that are created and that probably are not up to par with the edited ones and that will lower down the AI level after a few seasons.

This mod can only change the database, so any newgen managers aren't effected, unfortunately.

I use a mod that reduces players retiring and becoming managers, as well as another mod that adds Legendary Managers, so that it is very long into the future until there are alot of poor managers.

I notice a lot of Managers set Defence Mentality for a lot of away games feel like if that's changed to Cautious instead that would maybe make them more of a threat going forward and less teams having 0 shots in a game 

I only now noticed that you asked for feedback on the mod for FM21:

It definitely makes the game more challenging, just like it did for FM20. It's a struggle to win the title in any division, you have to actively manage the team and frequently adjust in-game. I win home games against bottom half teams 2-0 or 3-1 compared with 4-0 or 5-0 without it. Away games are challenging, just like they should be. Unbeaten runs of 15+ games are rare, unlike vanilla game. Takes three seasons to take a team predicted to finish 6-8th to the title, just like it would IRL. 

The only thing I've noticed is that AI managers tend to do the majority of their tactical changes very late in the game, 80th minute or later when the game is beyond them. Is there a way of changing that for next version?

Edited by freddieos

1 hour ago, freddieos said:

I only now noticed that you asked for feedback on the mod for FM21:

It definitely makes the game more challenging, just like it did for FM20. It's a struggle to win the title in any division, you have to actively manage the team and frequently adjust in-game. I win home games against bottom half teams 2-0 or 3-1 compared with 4-0 or 5-0 without it. Away games are challenging, just like they should be. Unbeaten runs of 15+ games are rare, unlike vanilla game. Takes three seasons to take a team predicted to finish 6-8th to the title, just like it would IRL. 

The only thing I've noticed is that AI managers tend to do their tactical changes very late in the game, 80th minute or later when the game is beyond them. Is there a way of changing that for next version?

That sounds perfect!

Actually, alot of managers have very high "make early tactical changes"....so...i think that's due to SI changing things and making the AI not react until the last minutes of the game, unfortunately...

Only change possible would be to make EVERY manager at 20 early changes...but not sure that would do it even then

1 hour ago, freddieos said:

I've since paid it a bit more attention and I would say they do the majority of their changes very late on, not all of them though. Are you getting the same? Or you not playing yet? Still obsessively correcting the game? :lol:

I decline to answer....lol

If you want, you can note the managers who are making very late changes, and i can look in the file and see what  they're set at.

14 hours ago, dillonbarrett1997 said:

Noticed this decreases the amount of goals scored. For example the premier leagues leading goal scorer was Chris woods with 18 goals and la liga was Messi with only 17.

Update: After some test it may just be fm in general lol

Pretty sure top scorer volumes have been reported as unusually low this year, might be compounded by tactical exploits too.

27 minutes ago, moz08 said:

Sorry, just to clarify, so only staff in FM21 are affected by the Smarter AI, i.e. if there are staff in the Japanese pyramid db that aren’t in the vanilla game their attributes won’t change?

correct.

you would have to edit their stats in that pyramid file.

Using the Editor, you can bulk select and edit, based on your personal criteria.

Thanks for your replies.

How easy/time consuming is it to edit attributes for staff, i.e. if I want to do it for staff not in the vanilla game? To be honest I haven’t edited anything in FM for years.

Edited by moz08

30 minutes ago, moz08 said:

Thanks for your replies.

How easy/time consuming is it to edit attributes for staff, i.e. if I want to do it for staff not in the vanilla game? To be honest I haven’t edited anything in FM for years.

not much, if it's just the japanese added staff. you would go to people, non-players, and filter and sort by job preference, then lay out your guidelines. like, do you want ALL physios over 10 to be 20? or ALL to be 20 no matter what? and so on.

maybe you don't care about physios, and just want to focus on head coaches and assistant coaches.

I might get back to you, via this thread, if that’s ok, when I actually download a custom db, and have the editor in front of me. I’m not sure exactly what I want to do with it until I see the custom db and editor, if you see what I mean.

If nothing changes, there will probably still be ‘is the game too easy’ threads in 5 years time. The point is some (more experienced) players find it too easy, and others don’t, and there’s no shame in this. The game should be for everyone to enjoy, whatever their level of experience, so why not have difficulty levels, just as FM Touch/mobile are different versions for customers with different requirements?

One of the arguments against difficulty levels is that they would be too complex to implement, but you’ve  shown how relatively  easy it would be.

I’d like to think the argument against having difficulty levels is weakening, and FM will have them eventually, just as SI eventually conceded the game was too time consuming for some. Whatever happens, though, thanks for doing this, and, hopefully, paving the way.

2 minutes ago, moz08 said:

I might get back to you, via this thread, if that’s ok, when I actually download a custom db, and have the editor in front of me. I’m not sure exactly what I want to do with it until I see the custom db and editor, if you see what I mean.

If nothing changes, there will probably still be ‘is the game too easy’ threads in 5 years time. The point is some (more experienced) players find it too easy, and others don’t, and there’s no shame in this. The game should be for everyone to enjoy, whatever their level of experience, so why not have difficulty levels, just as FM Touch/mobile are different versions for customers with different requirements?

One of the arguments against difficulty levels is that they would be too complex to implement, but you’ve  shown how relatively  easy it would be.

I’d like to think the argument against having difficulty levels is weakening, and FM will have them eventually, just as SI eventually conceded the game was too time consuming for some. Whatever happens, though, thanks for doing this, and, hopefully, paving the way.

you're welcome!

Feel free to message me if you need help with the editing.

First of all, thank you very much for this addon, it's a great idea!

Before I go ahead & get started on a save, I just want to check something. I just quickly checked the database & it seems that while the staff attributes have been improved along with the Current Ability, they don't quite match up & so I believe that the attributes will gradually decrease over time. Is this correct?

For example, David Moyes at West Ham has a Current Ability of 160 but his high attributes cause him to have a 'Recommended Current Ability' of 200. Doesn't this mean that his attributes are too high for his current ability & so they will gradually decrease until they are in line with his Current Ability of 160 again?

Thanks very much!

4 hours ago, smeagoltonez said:

First of all, thank you very much for this addon, it's a great idea!

Before I go ahead & get started on a save, I just want to check something. I just quickly checked the database & it seems that while the staff attributes have been improved along with the Current Ability, they don't quite match up & so I believe that the attributes will gradually decrease over time. Is this correct?

For example, David Moyes at West Ham has a Current Ability of 160 but his high attributes cause him to have a 'Recommended Current Ability' of 200. Doesn't this mean that his attributes are too high for his current ability & so they will gradually decrease until they are in line with his Current Ability of 160 again?

Thanks very much!

I can’t really say for sure, as RCA seems to not be quite accurate. 

but yes they probably would decrease. The idea was that not every manager would have 200 PA, though. So it’s fine if it decreases some.