[FM20] Voltaço

_Ben_

2027 Copa Rio (Carioca State Turn Two)

9f5eb34281ce32db2357c9ee6eda5451.png

Another fantastic set of fixtures with the only 'blip' coming in the realisation that Flamengo are still streets ahead of us. We haven't scored as many goals in this turn that the previous one but four wins, including our third over Serie A opposition, a confident performance against Vasco, has seen us finish atop of the Second Phase in the Carioca:

0c7b01a85ee1ae2eea7497fa96c63afc.png

With this being Brazil, that clearly isn't the end of things. The first phase winners, Fluminese (who beat us) play against Flamengo, who won Group B of this turn and beat Group A winners Botafogo, to crown the overall Carioca State Champions.

EDIT

An interesting fact:

b7d738e2fa30a3f6d68a923656970026.png

We were credited as runners up in 2025 as Flamengo won the finals from both turns and, as such, it went down on league position in the Second Stage. 

---

437151233595cbe511620b1bb49c5c9c.png

This first place and this formidable record is painting a picture that we are consistent and, despite us being in Serie B, are going to be a good team that is going to cause problems for a long time. I don't know how much Fluminense's league form would differ from their State form (their Turn One final side was certainly different from the group stage side) but if we can do it here, why can't we do in when we reach Serie A?

Edited by _Ben_

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2027 Copa do Brasil (so far)

e9b398c07f04f80cd20358a8a0c1231c.png

Our State Champ form has been sensational and it seems that we can't keep up the good form in two concurrent competitions as we've been absolutely awful here and are lucky to still be in the competition. I admit to using these games as rotational opportunities and chances for the backup players to get some form. Sergipe are a lower league team but it took a triple half-time change, getting the big-guns on to break them down. We were lucky against Serie A side Ceara, who caused us so many issues last year, but held our nerve and finally won a penalty shoot-out. Serie C sides Ponte Preta and Manaus were so much more up for the competition than us and both took us apart in the second leg, with us just about having done enough in the first tie.

Our competition probably ends with against Palmeiras but, we've shown that we can do it against Fluminense, Botafogo, Vasco and sometimes Flamengo, so why not?! 

The highlight of the Manaus tie was this volley from Willian, his tenth of the season with the vast majority coming in this fashion - good work from the WB(a) and AP(s) down the right and a cross into the box, where he has found space or has beat his defender.

5615f1611ca34019163af60d8fde35bb.gif

---

The big thing that this competition brings is money. We have made nearly triple what we did last year and will, no doubt, get more even if we lose the next match. I know that, for the next two years, we have £2.5m coming in from the sale of Dinamite, but this is much needed and maybe the board will agree to improve some of our facilities.

ef49aaaecacb225d3a19f596cb1099aa.png

----

With our progress in this cup - we are left with an alarming 40 games, minimum in our season. The game date is the 20th April 2028 and we kicked off our campaign on the 23rd January and have now played 18 competitive fixtures, with my top appearance makers below:

d7b32f0eee42c40211ca58606e098439.png

With a 38 game Serie B and at least two more cup games left before the 25th November - we have a tough schedule to manage!  However, I have to be grateful that there are at least 3600 competitive minutes left to help my players develop.

Edited by _Ben_

5 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

I love Brazil but there are just so many damn matches that need to be played between cups, states, and league play.  It only gets worse once you advance to a continental competition.

From a player development perspective, giving them minutes in competitive football, it's amazing!

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

What is the maximum number of fixtures in a season?

I posted this as one of the reasons why I wanted to manage in Brazil:

b13928c6ad6ec4191217aa5b62b02d43.png

Carioca could actually be 14. 

If I was in Serie A and won the cup and continental cup, I'd be playing 79 competitive matches across one calendar year!

I'm caught up!  This is wonderful, as was your Guadalajara save!  So much so, that I've been running a South American(not specifically Brazilian - started out in Bolivia) selling club save!  Keep it up!

9 hours ago, ranks39 said:

I'm caught up!  This is wonderful, as was your Guadalajara save!  So much so, that I've been running a South American(not specifically Brazilian - started out in Bolivia) selling club save!  Keep it up!

I'm glad you're enjoying it - good luck in Bolivia, particularly trying not to be the continental whipping boys!

April/May 2028

4edc72ac933dbbb32b33cdd1c6f997e4.png

It has been an absolutely intense two months with thirteen games played.

We have made a really strong start in the league and have benefited by playing some of the weaker sides: Sao Bento and America-RN in particular. We started off poorly, just about putting together a draw against Vila Nova, where all six goals had been scored inside a frantic thirty-five minutes. We have been really tight at the back and look to have put the misdemeanours that nearly cost us goals against weaker opposition aside, for now, only conceding twice in the seven games following the Vila Nova tie.

We have also, to my dismay, made more progress in the Copa do Brasil - holding Palmeiras twice and beating them on penalties. Neither game was a classic and in neither game were we really ever in charge, but we showed some resilient defending and my youngsters did me proud against a very strong side. We face either VItoria, the only other Serie B side, of Fluminese in the Quarter Final.

--

With the 2028 Copa America being held in June, we only have two league games between the 6th June and the 16th July, with only two Copa do Brasil ties (which could be interesting as Fluminense have four internationals - a Paraguayan, a Colombian and two Peruvians, who are important players and likely to be absent). In that time, I'll probably schedule one or two friendlies but also I am tempted to give the players a complete week of rest. I'll judge that based on their condition following the Bragantino game on the 6th.

---

There is very little else going on at the club right now, but here is a summary:

• We now have over £5m in the bank thanks to the prize money from the Copa do Brazil
  • Joao Fernando is developing really well. He's only scored three in sixteen appearances so I'm going to look at using the Carioca State next year to get this kick started.
  • My staff have informed me that Pacheco is ready for first team football, and, to be fair, he's done ok when called upon.
  • We improved our youth recruitment back in February, but the board keep vetoing any other plans I have in place.
  • The board are quite happy, too:

261d5e89be0f2b0c8b265fc14b60a871.png

Intake Preview

f63a5bb4462457ad0505d4e95b672946.png

Not great but we have, in my opinion, made a big step up in terms of quality of the rest of the team and I feel that this might be compared to the quality of the rest of the team? How else would it be calculated?!

New Signing

32cfffcabfebeb6e55e41d1d7fb0237a.png

I did it.

He won't be able to play when it's windy as he'll get blown over, given his appalling strength and I'm sure that he's going to fall off a cliff in the next six months. His history has been pretty good and he's played at quite a high level up until joining us. Staff wise, he's not up to much but has several licenses left to take, so hopefully he can develop a bit more.

Going forward -  I really see a bright future for Joao Fernando as a striker, moving Maicon out to the left as a second striker (I always envisaged that, and mentioned it in the first few posts about him) so I think Philippe will be the perfect foil as a DLF upfront, either starting and making way when the game is open so that Joao can come on, or replacing him if he's not playing well - meaning we don't lose much quality up top.

Edited by _Ben_

15 minutes ago, LUFCspeni said:

He still looks like he could do a job! 

1 hour ago, keeper#1 said:

He could always out run [checks notes].  Nope he's small and slow now so I'll guess he'll just out think them.

Put it this way:

He can use his anticipation to see a pass coming, then use his off the ball ability to get into the space, being composed with his first touch and use his technique to find some space. He can then use his long shot ability or his finishing to put the ball in the net, cross it to someone else or use his vision to pick the correct pass, having the flair to do things that other players simply cannot, over and over again as he works hard for the team. He can also take a corner, free kick or a penalty if needed.

Now consider that each of those bold words is an attribute that is greater than 15. He's still world class! Not as winger nor a leading striker but an Engache or a False Nine, definitely! And he's now playing in the second tier of Brazilian football.

20 minutes ago, LUFCspeni said:

You might have mentioned it before and I've missed it, but what are you doing tactically?

I have indeed!

I've been heavily influenced by the Brazilian sides of the past but don't want to commit to an out of the box styled tactic: namely the 4-2DM-2-2 formation, or the box. Therefore, I've been experimenting with roles and traits to try and recreate that in the build up play. We line up like this:

73ca69530db41334e542a4289d1e20e3.png

The two AP(s) are instructed to sit centrally, hold their positions and dictate play, using the overlaps of the full backs whilst the IF(a) joins in to make a second striker. I've had some success creating the shapes that I want but more actual success with the results that we've been getting, if I'm honest.

12 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I have indeed!

I've been heavily influenced by the Brazilian sides of the past but don't want to commit to an out of the box styled tactic: namely the 4-2DM-2-2 formation, or the box. Therefore, I've been experimenting with roles and traits to try and recreate that in the build up play. We line up like this:

The two AP(s) are instructed to sit centrally, hold their positions and dictate play, using the overlaps of the full backs whilst the IF(a) joins in to make a second striker. I've had some success creating the shapes that I want but more actual success with the results that we've been getting, if I'm honest.

Are either of your APs getting a good number of goals as well? How is the one on the right flank performing?

I am currently trying Batista Meier as a Wide Playmaker on the right with roam from position and get further forward, but so far nothing to write home about...

June/July/August 2028

With only two games in June, I thought I'd include August in this update too.

547c925f4a3a8cc1331ee0d94854b0ee.png

Firstly, our wonderful Copa do Brasil run ended, just, with a two-legged defeat against Flamengo. Vitoria beat a struggling Fluminense side but we quite easily dispatched them in the Quarter Finals before being overpowered at the Maracana by a strong Flamengo side. We went 2-0 down in the home leg but two quick Maicon strikes gave us so much confidence; we peppered their goal for 30 minutes but couldn't find the goal to take it to penalties and give us a chance of making a major cup final whilst not being in the top flight.

However, I feel that we'll be in the top flight next year, given our fantastic league form. The highlight of this run is the game against Avai - 3-1 down after 75 minutes thanks to two wonderful free kicks from their full back. However, we once again showed great resilience and scraped a draw thanks a freak goal, whereby the couldn't clear a free kick and the eventual clearance clattered into Maicon and straight into the goal, with seconds remaining. 

Andreson currently has the most appearances this season, 37(1), but remarkably, we still have a whole round of fixtures left to play - taking our total way past the 50 game mark this season. 

---

I have some concerns over the form of academy prospect Joao Fernando, as seen below:

5b66a57836d9480e22dcf75094014270.png

On paper, he's a really strong player and good enough for this division, and he is developing really well (that is November to August) but he is really struggling to score goals. Now that I'm able to watch games in 3D, I can see how guilt-edge the chances are that he's missing: free headers, one-on-ones and shots from inside the area. He is really lacking in confidence despite banging them in for the reserve team and always re-acting positively well to my criticism about his performances - especially when I mention his lack of scoring. He often looks lost and just doesn't seem to have the presence that Maicon has up top - not getting the ball as much (not that either striker does, but Maicon has nearly 100% more passes completed/90). I don't think that role has any impact on this as Maicon plays it very very well.

I really think that he needs a State Championship to 'get him started' - scoring freely against lower level teams to get his confidence up.

---

I have also spent the last couple of months messing with the training. In my Guadalajara save, I had preset schedules that I dropped in each week depending on the number of games - but I don't see that as necessarily realistic. I wonder how many teams simply train what they are good at - e.g. a 'style of play.' Therefore, I've been using the game beforehand to identify things I want us to work on. For example, I've barely touched the Attacking Wings because our overlaps are great and Kenedy and Geilton are often getting into great areas - however, our Attacking Patient is much less effective and we often end up recycling the ball back to the defenders or even the goalkeeper. I'm also fitting in two or three set piece sessions a week as the board were demanding that we make the most of them - and, within the first few weeks, I saw a slightly different free kick routine that worked really well.

I don't know how far I want to take this, but I'm enjoying the experimentation.

32 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Are either of your APs getting a good number of goals as well? How is the one on the right flank performing?

I am currently trying Batista Meier as a Wide Playmaker on the right with roam from position and get further forward, but so far nothing to write home about...

They are doing really well, actually:

f212cd3abbd314cfed6e6c4b42893d49.png

Andreson plays on the right whilst Valdinei plays through the middle. Quite a few of Andreson's goals have come through far post headers/volleys when the play is down the left hand side. For a man who is 6'0" with Heading of 10 and Jumping Reach of 14, he really does dominate full backs. 

However his build up play is really nice - in particular with the WB(a) next to him.

New affiliate club

Normally, I wouldn't be too fussed about sharing my choice of a Brazilian based feeder club, especially at this level. But I've found a really interesting club! I was given these choices:

9152c12378e5c2111a2046d05770e88c.png

Of these three, I know that Resende are my rivals so that wouldn't make a good option but I was intrigued by Perolas Negras, who are also from Resende, just 50km away:

e8347993f1acc842aab9625b29aa3568.png

The biggest thing that makes this team different is that they are actually Haitian.  Haiti is one of two countries, the other being Syria, not treated as foreign in Brazilian football. They were founded in the late 2000's by a Non-Governmental Organisation called Viva Rio to help raise funds for the poorest country in the Americas. Since 2016, they have been participating in the Carioca State but they are in one of the unplayable lower tiers and I'm unsure that they would be able to qualify for the First Stage of the competition (we enter at the Second Stage).

They have just one player in their squad, who, sadly, isn't int he Haitian national team. I will monitor them to see if they produce any other players of note.

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

They are doing really well, actually:

f212cd3abbd314cfed6e6c4b42893d49.png

Andreson plays on the right whilst Valdinei plays through the middle. Quite a few of Andreson's goals have come through far post headers/volleys when the play is down the left hand side. For a man who is 6'0" with Heading of 10 and Jumping Reach of 14, he really does dominate full backs. 

However his build up play is really nice - in particular with the WB(a) next to him.

Good stuff. Wide players who have high jumping reach are absolutely dominant I have noticed. Danny Loader smashed it in the premier league for me thanks in large part to this. Maybe because most of the full backs aren't too strong or tall. 

Youth Intake

17635ed2012b03efb24e489a9e6e6a27.png

'Not great' was an understatement!

Poor personalities, potential and attribute suitability throughout. I'll see who the HoYD signs and then analyse them, of course, but I don't foresee anyone doing anything good!

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Youth Intake

17635ed2012b03efb24e489a9e6e6a27.png

'Not great' was an understatement!

Poor personalities, potential and attribute suitability throughout. I'll see who the HoYD signs and then analyse them, of course, but I don't foresee anyone doing anything good!

What about Roma?

6 minutes ago, Mikaelinho said:

What about Roma?

I do quite like him, to be fair. Gyazo was down when I was making that post so didn't mention any more about him.

6fd000a6afdcb2016e753e3ebd87d8f9.png

I guess what I meant with him is that there is nothing that sets him above everyone else. He could be good, but I don't really see something amazing that he could bring - if you know what I mean?

1 minute ago, _Ben_ said:

I do quite like him, to be fair. Gyazo was down when I was making that post so didn't mention any more about him.

6fd000a6afdcb2016e753e3ebd87d8f9.png

I guess what I meant with him is that there is nothing that sets him above everyone else. He could be good, but I don't really see something amazing that he could bring - if you know what I mean?

I totally get you, but at age 16 at least he has the potential to surprise you!

September/October 2028

I've had a bit of time to play today so I've managed to get through another two months...

73d1f4faf6be0752b71002b9a5ba995d.png

A much more difficult period of time - whereby we have lost our only two games of the season. We didn't deserve to lose either but, when all of your forwards are in barren spells, at the same time - it becomes a case of just watching clear cut chances missed time and time again. There have been some fantastic performances mixed in though - a hammering of Bragantino, for example, but that was followed with a drab match away at CSA.

---

The main point here though is that Bragantino are fifteen behind with five games left. We are better than them on a Head to Head so a victory in our next match will see us promoted. Avai are coming to town, hungry to avenge our last gasp draw last time. This is the biggest match in my career, I think...

2028 End of Season

bb5432fe13a65cf4336e7910c4bcf8be.png

A pretty phenomenal season, when all things are considered. Our November form saw two more 5-0 wins and just one goal conceded - a real story of our season whereby we have scored at will yet kept very strong defensively. We are joined by three other clubs that I feel we have had the edge over all season, which is a fantastic bonus as we enter our first ever Brasiliero season, knowing just how hard it is to stay up.

---

8019888f5d546c3d6c1e8d2fa08aca8e.png

The playing staff have been absolutely fantastic, too. I know a relatively easy State Championship always provides goals and gets us off to a good start - but we've continued that with some top performers. Geilton has absolutely blown me away with a hand in 27 goals - some from free kicks but others just being a top quality modern wing back. Maicon has hit thirty goals yet still hasn't really been on form all season and Willian got himself quite close to twenty again.

In terms of minutes - this is where Brazil comes into it's own. Teenagers Pacheco, Joao Fernando, Marcio Ricardo, Lorran Santos and even Geilton have had so much game time and, as such, are developing so well!

---

d940c1724b8ea8f0fdc28bcfcf061e46.png

This break period is massive. I am going to take it click/step at a time, document all the moves I make and the players I move for and hopefully be prepared for a season whereby we can hold our own in Serie A.

Despite the fast pace that I've played this (and I worry that people are struggling to stay up to date as I've done seven seasons in two weeks [I am still very happy I IR'ed the first two, just to get into the game]) I am still fully enthused with what is going on. Play time will probably slow down (although I said that this season and, to be fair, it has) as we look to work our way through the big league!

Looking ahead

Following the promotion, the board set out their new vision:

412f678cb231d3d01ac892ad0bba0f2c.png

I am delighted that they have added the development of youth, as that is what I am trying to do myself. I tried my hand with some requests, safe in the knowledge that we have over £5m in the bank and we'll get another £2.5m in February for the Rodrigo Dinamite sale.

---

I've made a bold move in terms of shaping this squad:

64fdbcfab7ef56f68717df3acddf5915.png

Sadly, a lot of the team were unsure. I've noted the names down of those who said we have no chance because they are probably, the ones with the lowest ambition rating - which rings true in the  'slower development' of some of them. I decided to speak to Andreson, Pacheco and Joao Fernando by saying we'd bring in a few new signings, which then upset another group saying that they'd lose their playing time. I managed to talk them round by saying that the playing time promises will largely be unchanged, to which most were happy.

---

In terms of those few new signings, I'll do a full run down of what I want, but here is what I need:

d06bb636c366c4eaffa619098d3cdeec.png

Replacements for these two, whose legs just won't have it in them to see out a full Serie A season.

76bdb195b748f793f2978f42fc362188.png

To fulfil a promise allowing my last starting member to move on, as he's achieved all he can at the club and is only going backwards in terms of playing time.

---

It is going to be a really busy four weeks, as that is all I have until the State Championships kick off again!

Analysing the squads

Right now, we have quite a small set of squads, and, although I've included the rather favourable star ratings, feel that we are lacking depth and talent, especially for players who will be able, at some point, to perform in the top tier.

Under 20s:

93c2620f810461df5e490fbee6315936.png

Varejao and Roma are the two top players here, as Makelele is leaving at the end of his contract. I have managed to keep the better personalities at the club but there aren't, Marco Aurelio aside, many players who possess the intelligence that I want.

Reserves:

24ef134c96118ecc2c8db3b497446227.png

Much more quality in this squad actually but a lot of 'star ratings' that certainly flatter to deceive. I think that the majority of this squad, at present, have the possibility of being State Championship players: Quintanilha, Christian and Marlon will definitely feature next year, for example. However - the ratings of the likes of Magrao, Luiz Antonio and Gama would signify my staff rate them much higher than I do.

If I can get three of these players to get football during the State league next year, I'll be happy.

First Team

4f28ffd8b4e7da13365cba7404a02df0.png

decent mix of ages here and I'll still rely on Kenedy and probably Jaja, although he'll have to make do with a backup role. If I had unlimited funds, I'd be looking to replace the poorer personalities within the squad with experienced, good personality players. As it is, I'm only really looking to replace Vander Torres, the original youth graduate who just won't be able to cut it at Serie A level.

Transfer

The first thing to note is that this pre-season window has been incredibly tough; we don't have the reputation to attract players that would improve our team and it seems that Brazil, as a whole, has an issue with players and them not having good personalities!

However-  I've managed to make one signing so far:

b311c79746878de1fb3c7e91d1ca63cc.png

Magno joins for £165k from Serie B side Nautico. Therefore, he's immediately short on one thing I wanted - top flight experience. I'm also a little worried that, along with top flight experience, Magno lacks any experience - with only 53 senior games played to date. 

However, rather than focus on the negatives - here is how he compares to Kevem, the man he's replacing. He is considerably better in all areas and doesn't have the one-footed attribute skew that his predecessor does. He is a Professional, but I've asked M.Pro Andreson to welcome him in the hope that I could maybe push him to a Model Pro (although I am worried at his lack of Determination and hope that the general personality of the squad can bring that up).

My four centre backs now look like this:

39739b0c549b5d3416fc0b33406712b9.png

I always like to have a good mix of left and right footed players and here I also have a solid group of defenders. Ricardo stands out as the weakest overall, I'd say (based on Heading and Anticipation). However, to properly see how they stack up - I've compared their data to the average of the 53 centre backs that are either Star Players, Important Players or Regular Starters in other Serie A sides:

e5a4c6d5559fbe8f35278c6c83ededae.png

Intelligence wise, we are a little short in certain areas - Santos' decision making is well below average as is Prego's anticipation. I'd rather not play Prego against a pacy striker because he just won't be able to anticipate what is coming as well and then will end with a striker being two or three yards ahead. Defensively, Ricardo is weak and I knew that as he's the least developed of the four. Santos may be able to make up some of his poor decision making with good timing in the tackle and, even with 14 for Aggression, hasn't seen too many cards come his way for mistimed and bad decisions. We aren't too bad at playing the ball out from the back, although our passing is overall lower than the average of the league - however, playing two DMs means that their range of passing is a little shorter and they'll recycle it rather than use it to start counters.

---

We're ok in the part of the pitch, I think!

Raiding the free-agent market

124dd18ab206bea0f32f531f495ddd58.png

Two not-really inspiring deals have been made.

Luiz Fernando

A man of much experience, and, following a two-year stint in China, was brought back by Flamengo for over £30m. He must have severely dipped since then but he does provide good cover in all of my attacking areas.

Matheus Rocha

I'm struggling to find a DM of the suitable ability and price so Vander Torres will probably cover there, meaning Rocha comes into as purely a backup to star player Geilton. Rocha has some top flight experience and a great personality but I doubt will get much game time.

---

That leaves my first team looking like this:

6211e227dbaa4faa7256e5ce16c031f7.png

I don't know how we'll get on, whether we have enough depth or quality but, given the resources and reputation we have - I've done all I can!

Smashed Transfer Record

Sometimes you have to! We stumped up £1m (but we get £2.5m from Dinamite in a matter of days, anyway) to sign this man:

88df3ca919fb39eaca7b8a5ba515a1a1.png

As a newly promoted team, you need a really top goalkeeper and I think this man is it. I don't know how a player this good was playing down in the third tier (although America-MG did just get relegated) but I think he'll slot in quite well to top flight football.

If you compare him to Joao, the man he'll replace - he betters him in almost all areas. I've watched Joao over the past few years and he just worries me as he doesn't seem to fill the goal, nor does he really command the area. Edilson is much taller and much more of a leader - also, he comes with what I consider as the best personality. I was also drawn to his ball playing ability, which'll be great in our build up play.

I managed to recoup a bit of the money by moving Joao on, too.

Edilson is such a great addition to the team! Odds on he becomes a club legend at some point!

He's world class at stopping shots, which will be the greatest help right after getting promoted to the top tier.

7 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Smashed Transfer Record

Sometimes you have to! We stumped up £1m (but we get £2.5m from Dinamite in a matter of days, anyway) to sign this man:

88df3ca919fb39eaca7b8a5ba515a1a1.png

As a newly promoted team, you need a really top goalkeeper and I think this man is it. I don't know how a player this good was playing down in the third tier (although America-MG did just get relegated) but I think he'll slot in quite well to top flight football.

If you compare him to Joao, the man he'll replace - he betters him in almost all areas. I've watched Joao over the past few years and he just worries me as he doesn't seem to fill the goal, nor does he really command the area. Edilson is much taller and much more of a leader - also, he comes with what I consider as the best personality. I was also drawn to his ball playing ability, which'll be great in our build up play.

I managed to recoup a bit of the money by moving Joao on, too.

That's an amazing signing, well done :thup:

Been lurking for a bit on this one but please, KUTGW!

4 hours ago, Toffle said:

Edilson is such a great addition to the team! Odds on he becomes a club legend at some point!

He's world class at stopping shots, which will be the greatest help right after getting promoted to the top tier.

17 minutes ago, Justified said:

That's an amazing signing, well done :thup:

Been lurking for a bit on this one but please, KUTGW!

Thanks both! I completely agree that he could be an essential part of the team for a long time to come!

I've had a little look at how he compares to the rest of the 19 goalkeepers that I would consider to be 'first choice' at the other Serie A clubs:

69c4987d28a029b18ee024f551af43b7.png

As a goalkeeper, he's very solid. Better than average for his handling  and command of the area. But there are a couple of things that he's good at that will really help us - both his kicking and tendency to punch may allow us to start quick counter attacks, which is great. Looking at his other attributes - his decision making is a little lower as well as his concentration (probably the other thing stopping me from using him as a SK(a) but he's technically better than other Serie A goalkeepers, has a better first touch and doesn't have far off their passing ability.

Looking at him as a person, I can see this:

dee988b99b8fb13f2bf9557c9580bbcc.png

For someone around average, he's vastly underpaid and vastly undervalued but has a decent amount of experience.

I hope he can become a legend and a catalyst in the positive development of personalities within the club.

Change of Vice Captain

I decided to appoint Edilson as Vice Captain as he fits the bill much better.

Geilton - Captain:

• Club icon
  • Academy graduate
  • Star Player
  • Professional (Professionalism 18-19, Temperament 10-20)
  • Level Headed (Professionalism 13-20, Loyalty 12-20)
  • Leadership of 14

Edilson - Vice Captain:

• Record Signing
  • Important Player
  • Model Citizen (Determination 14-20, Professionalism 15-20, Ambition 12-20, Loyalty 15-20, Pressure 14-20, Sportsmanship 15-20, Temperament 15-20)
  • Evasive (Professionalism 15-20, Pressure 15-20) and Unflappable (Temperament 15-20, Pressure 15-20)
  • Leadership of 16

Edilson is probably a more suitable player to captain the side being as he'll fits the bill, for me, as the ideal position for a captain and leader. However, he's new to the club and I think he has to earn that right.

It has annoyed Prego - who was my old Vice Captain.

Prego - ex Vice Captain

• Rotational centre back
  • Professional (Professionalism 18-19, Temperament 10-20)
  • Level Headed (Professionalism 13-20, Loyalty 12-20)
  • Leadership of 15

Fortunately, he was quite easily appeased.

91823d503be2b92ebfdfd71de8707975.png

---

I feel that it's a real privilege having (at least) three good options to be club captains as it shows the effort that I'm building the type of squad that I want. I'm hoping we don't have a situation where there are too many leaders, but I feel that it can be solved anyway.

Debutants

240e50930cc26a2704233a1516be4014.png

In the 93rd minute, Joabson played a lovely ball down the right hand channel, Marlon picked it up, cut inside the defender and rolled it in. However - he then ran away with his arms aloft pointing to the name on the back of his shirt.

It's the little things...

---

That leaves my academy debutant chart looking like this:

a8a0adb310f2d7828fec9fe609646038.png

That 19 academy players is over a career of 324 matches to date; which works out at one debutant per 17 games and an average 'move on price' (to include released players) of just over £1.345m.

Seems like you haven’t had any real issue with the mandatory release clauses in Brazil that are also limited in maximum value. I got frustrated with a youth game because of that with all my players being poached...

10 hours ago, ifinnem said:

Seems like you haven’t had any real issue with the mandatory release clauses in Brazil that are also limited in maximum value. I got frustrated with a youth game because of that with all my players being poached...

No, not really.

I've managed to tie down my prospects pretty quickly onto quite a big salary (well, compared to their £35p/w youth deal) which has put their release clause much higher than what most clubs would pay:

94845fd1046f3401950c32ec006e0cc8.png

But then again, I would say that these (maybe Joao Fernando aside) aren't really players who are good enough to move elsewhere.

Earning his transfer fee

It might only be a State Championship game, but Edilson is already proving me right with a series of important saves and doing things like this:

059ebbf6ba468fd998cbdec78502a77e.gif

He just fills the goal well and his reflexes are great!

HoYD Upgrade

a3558112bad3e1266b1f30a5a5b1e408.png

Out with the old and in with the new.

Grasseli's attributes, at first glance, look great. However, the Motivating, Man Management and Discipline are more useful for coaching rather than impacting the quality of youth that comes in. Grasseli was also Resolute and preferred a direct 4-2-2-2DM, whereas Zabalete is a Model Pro, preferring a Tiki-Taka 4-2-3-1, much closer to what I want.

12 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Screamer

9ef0273106eebe7ce045fa001f4e52c0.gif

He's a defensive midfielder but I love the composure of that first touch to open his body up and unleash a shot like that!

I thought that was good, but this is even better...

23bf078a7b91a7494f20e9d0fbfae1f1.gif

Funny that his long shots are only rated at 8 though!