The Paul Pogba problem

Hi guys, 

At the start of my second season and looking to try get more out of Pogba. Like in real life, I believe the team needs to be built around him as his potential is that good even though he's currently not living up to his billing either irl or in my game. I play a 433 with Pogba as a mezzala on attack. 

My first season he wasn't terrible as we beat Liverpool to the title on last day as well as in the CL final for the double but he was one of our worst average rated players at just under 7. Looking for some advice and tips how I can get more out of him? In terms of PIs, I don't use a lot at all but one I have tried is IF(R) staying wider to try free up space for him in the channel. 

The other, more general play issue I have is that all my play and chances)(I'd say 80%) seems to come from crosses into the box. How do I get away from this and encourage more interplay through the middle and through balls in the final third? Playing narrower and focusing play down the middle doesn't seem to help. 

P. S sorry for the poor picture, I don't have a laptop so play FM touch on my switch. 

IMG_20190507_182713.jpg

When I briefly played Man Utd, the "secret" to make Pogba shine was to lead him into shooting position - and make him shoot ofcourse. More often than not the ball finds the net. Won various games because of his goals.

But I haven't built the team around him.

Tip: Leading him to shooting positions is not just the team shape, TIs or PIs, but the set pieces as well.

1 hour ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Like in real life, I believe the team needs to be built around him

I'd argue he needs to be sold in real life =P. Also if you find the answer, send an email to OGS, he seems to need the advice too!

Pogba could be a devastating player a la Lampard. A goal scorer and hard working midfielder. To excel at that he will need one or two strong all round midfielders around him, to take the creative and defensive load off him. He will also need strong players ahead of him working to create space for him to exploit. That would be how I did it. 

1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I'd argue he needs to be sold in real life

As a Man Utd fan, I absolutely agree with that.

To the OP, the problem in my opinion, is the attacking duty. He's already pretty attacking by inclination, so having him on support generally produces better all-round performances. When you set him to attack he's completely, over-the-top focused on scoring.

3 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

The other, more general play issue I have is that all my play and chances)(I'd say 80%) seems to come from crosses into the box. How do I get away from this and encourage more interplay through the middle and through balls in the final third? Playing narrower and focusing play down the middle doesn't seem to help

Because you are trying to attack exactly where most of your opponents will logically look to deny you space. So I would immediately stop insisting on focusing play through the middle (slightly narrower width may remain though).

As for the Pogba problem, I think a mezzala on attack is not problematic as his role, so I wouldn't change it. What I would first try to do is change the AMR (Sanchez) into a winger on attack instead of RMD, because when you play a RMD, you logically want him to be the main goal threat. Or even better, - move Sanchez to AML and play him either as an IF on support or AP on support, and employ Lingard as a winger on attack in AMR. Would also change Lukaku to a PF on support, to make him less of a ball-magnet (he as such will be an aerial threat in the opposition area anyway). A team instruction I would consider adding is Work ball into box, to encourage more intensive interplay in the final third, which should - among other things - benefit Pogba as an attacking mezzala. Given that you have very capable players in the midfield and attack, it should work well (in my Utd save, I often use WBiB and am very pleased with what I see in most cases, though I use a different formation). Shorter passing coupled with higher tempo is also an option to think about (along with the aforementioned suggestions).

16 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

A team instruction I would consider adding is Work ball into box

This is something I've actually started using and it has helped a bit although I'm very good at having players in half space, pass it to Herrera on the edge of the box who then blazes it over, always shooting. Need to check next time I'm on if I can set a PI to shoot less. 

As for AML as an IF, my worry with that is that him and Pogba would be both vying for the same space? Not sure if they would complement as they may interchange better being so close or whether it's a hindrance. That's why I wanted the PI of stay wider to try give them both space to work in. 

Just beat Norwich 2 0 away first game. 31(13) shots on goal to their 2(1) I was happy with the performance, albeit against a newly promoted team. The frustration is that with only 3 CCCs it suggests I'm very wasteful and this has been a worrying trend through pre season too where I'm getting plenty of shots but the goals aren't flowing. Maybe some PIs are needed to make us more patient... 

1 hour ago, warlock said:

the problem in my opinion, is the attacking duty. He's already pretty attacking by inclination, so having him on support generally produces better all-round performances. When you set him to attack he's completely, over-the-top focused on scoring.

I've just tried this to see if it brought about a change in fortune and he got a 6.6, worst player on my team. Very frustrating player. I can see Mourinho's problem now 😂

6 horas atrás, dan_bre_1988 disse:

Hi guys, 

At the start of my second season and looking to try get more out of Pogba. Like in real life, I believe the team needs to be built around him as his potential is that good even though he's currently not living up to his billing either irl or in my game. I play a 433 with Pogba as a mezzala on attack. 

My first season he wasn't terrible as we beat Liverpool to the title on last day as well as in the CL final for the double but he was one of our worst average rated players at just under 7. Looking for some advice and tips how I can get more out of him? In terms of PIs, I don't use a lot at all but one I have tried is IF(R) staying wider to try free up space for him in the channel. 

The other, more general play issue I have is that all my play and chances)(I'd say 80%) seems to come from crosses into the box. How do I get away from this and encourage more interplay through the middle and through balls in the final third? Playing narrower and focusing play down the middle doesn't seem to help. 

P. S sorry for the poor picture, I don't have a laptop so play FM touch on my switch. 

IMG_20190507_182713.jpg

@dan_bre_1988 If you want Pogba to shine you gotta give him space to do just that.

In my opinion you got some issues such as:

• IF may occupy some space Pogba could operate
  • TM isn't drawing away the defenders, pushing them next to their goal or give them something to worry about
  • I can't clearly see your TI's so I'll just focus on the player roles

There can be many ways to address these issues, and I'm sure you are capable of doing that perhaps even better than me.

Anyway, I managed United in a save with default squad and my setup was pretty much like yours so I'll tell you how I lined up (and Pogba did some monster seasons!)

1. GK defend - De Gea
  2. CWB support - Dalot (WB attack when I played Young)
  3. BPD cover - Lindelof
  4. CB defend - Baily
  5. FB support - Shaw
  6. DLP defend - Matic
  7. BBM support - Herrera (but I reckon a carrillero can work just as good)
  8. Mezzala attack - Pogba
  9. Raumdeuter attack - Lingaard or Sanchez (Lingaard was amazing due to his off the ball and work rate)
  10. Winger support - Martial (he will play much life an IF cause he's right footed, but will be closer to the line giving Pogba those sweet spots on the center-left side of the pitch)
  11. AF attack - Rashford

For strikers it's all about supply and support, and creating variety of routes to goal, which I think you achieved in some way, but a miedfielder (mezzalla), will attack the space constantly, so you gotta give him just that, space!

Even a slight modification could have a chain reaction sometimes, for instance, if you set up your right WB to attack instead of support, he will push higher up, deliver more crosses, which would turn your Raumdeuter more centrally, ocuppying more the centre backs, giving them a hard time to look out for your Raumdeuter and Target Man which in its turn will give your mezzala more space or time on the ball, and so on...

14 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

As for AML as an IF, my worry with that is that him and Pogba would be both vying for the same space?

That's yet another myth. An attacking mezzala can work nicely with both IF and AP on support. You can even tell the AML (either IF or AP) to sit narrower, rather than stay wider.

Hi,

i never played with Man Utd, or with Pogba, but i usually play with Benfica that have a player quite similar, but not so good at the moment: Gedson Fernandes.

In my current save i've decided to built my tactic to get the best from him in terms of goal scoring and assists.

I'm in my second season so far. In the first season he got a 7.85 av rating, score 26 goals and made 8 assists. He also won the golden boy award.

In the second season, in March, he is going for with a similar performance so far: 7.74 av rating, 16 goals and 5 assists.

When i built the tactic my frst thouhgt was giving Gedson the role of MEZ(a), manly because it's his natural role, but if i want my player to score why would i give him a role that will make him drift wide? At the time it seems a bit counter intuitive to me, and because of that i've choose the CM(a) role, with the PI's to roam from position and take more risks.  I also added the PI's to shoot less often just because he has the trait (when the game starts) to shoot from distance, and i also gave him the PI's to close down more.

On top of that he learn the traits to get into the opposition area, plays one-twos and knock the ball past the opponent.

Like Pogba, Gedson is a player with great stamina and pace, he get easily arrive in the box. He shoots well from distance. I want to put him just outside the box to get that rebound shot, or put him on the shoulder of my forward taking advantage of any space.

The rest of the setup goes like this:

DLF(a)

IF(s)                                                W(s)

CM(a)          AP(s)

DM(d)

WB(s)      CD(d)       CD(d)         FB(a)

G(d)

So, in conclusion, i'n not saying that MEZ(a) is a bad role for Pogba, but for someone that what's to build the tactic around him, and make him score , i think he needs a more central role, so that he can be more inside the area.

I know it doesn't suit your formation but I've got the best out of Pogba playing him in the CAM role. In my second season he scored 13 goals with a few assists in half a season before demanding to be sold to PSG!

Sums him up really...

21 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Hi,

i never played with Man Utd, or with Pogba, but i usually play with Benfica that have a player quite similar, but not so good at the moment: Gedson Fernandes.

In my current save i've decided to built my tactic to get the best from him in terms of goal scoring and assists.

I'm in my second season so far. In the first season he got a 7.85 av rating, score 26 goals and made 8 assists. He also won the golden boy award.

In the second season, in March, he is going for with a similar performance so far: 7.74 av rating, 16 goals and 5 assists.

When i built the tactic my frst thouhgt was giving Gedson the role of MEZ(a), manly because it's his natural role, but if i want my player to score why would i give him a role that will make him drift wide? At the time it seems a bit counter intuitive to me, and because of that i've choose the CM(a) role, with the PI's to roam from position and take more risks.  I also added the PI's to shoot less often just because he has the trait (when the game starts) to shoot from distance, and i also gave him the PI's to close down more.

On top of that he learn the traits to get into the opposition area, plays one-twos and knock the ball past the opponent.

Like Pogba, Gedson is a player with great stamina and pace, he get easily arrive in the box. He shoots well from distance. I want to put him just outside the box to get that rebound shot, or put him on the shoulder of my forward taking advantage of any space.

The rest of the setup goes like this:

DLF(a)

IF(s)                                                W(s)

CM(a)          AP(s)

DM(d)

WB(s)      CD(d)       CD(d)         FB(a)

G(d)

So, in conclusion, i'n not saying that MEZ(a) is a bad role for Pogba, but for someone that what's to build the tactic around him, and make him score , i think he needs a more central role, so that he can be more inside the area.

This looks solid. I have this problem with DMde and his closing down leaving my defense isolated, at times, but i'd imagine you're stable in that department.

2 hours ago, denen123 said:

This looks solid. I have this problem with DMde and his closing down leaving my defense isolated, at times, but i'd imagine you're stable in that department.

I'm not seeing this with my tactic and the players i usually use in the DM position.

In fact, the tactic is very solid, sometimes i even think that it is unrealistic solid.

In my current save i've played 114 games and only concedeed 48 goals. In the second season, and after 30 games in the portuguese league, i only conceded 3 goals.

31 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

Is your lone striker the main goalscorer? And what are his stats in this setup? 

@Keyzer Soze

Well, yeah, but by a close margin.

Like i said in the post, the main purpose of this tactic was making the CM(a) the focal point , so by doing this the striker don't score as much has in others setups.

But, in the end, and one thing i like about this tactic is the variaty in terms of goalscoring. So, for example in this season i have, for the top 5 positions:

DLF (Raul Jimenez): 20 goals, 10 assists

IF (Rafa): 15 goals, 11 assists

Winger (combine between Zaracho and Zivkovic): 16 goals, 18 assists

CM (Gedson Fernandes): 18 goals, 5 assists

AP (combine between João Felix and Pizzi): 16 goals, 11 assist

I like when tactics do this.... goals and assists coming from all over the place! :D

Only played a couple of games since making a couple of tweaks. Hoping Pogba can thrive now, he's been pretty good last couple of games, his passing has been great with the extra room. 

Didn't make too many change. As suggested above, I changed AML to winger instead of IF and TM to PFa. Lukaku leading the line well and Martial was fantastic against Bayern. Torturing their defense with his dribbling. Hoping my good start to my second season can continue... 

IMG_20190509_220834.jpg

Archived