FM19: It's Coming Home

Rikulec

TELEMMGLPICT000163698204_trans_NvBQzQNjv

FM19: It's Coming Home

Hello again. After eventually burning out of fuel in my previous thread, I've finally decided on a new one. Why England? Well, it's the place I always return to in such situations. It's also English football that has been the object of my fascination ever since I got properly interested in the sport. While my first football memory is the 2002 World Cup, which was disastrous for Poland, the second one is the famous performance of a certain goalkeeper in the 2005 Champions League final. I was 8 at the time, so I couldn't fully comprehend what really happened other than Liverpool winning a game that seemed quite significant. Still, I've been following them ever since, and my later venture into football management games only worked to cement my interest in English football. The sheer number of playable leagues and teams on FM has also been a huge factor in that. All in all, you could say in this thread I'll truly be coming home.

The Aim

Win the Premier League and the Champions League with an English club & win the World Cup with England. Get to the top of the English Hall of Fame.

The Manager

rEwYA51.png

A young English soon-to-be manager who for some reason strongly believes in young English players. Why Southend-on-Sea? The answer is simple and quite nostalgic again: my first proper football management game was CM4 which was added to a gaming magazine I bought way back in 2006. It had a strategy guide attached as well and for some reason the guy who wrote it played as Southend United. As you can see, they're also my manager's favourite club.

The Save

C1cbPrd.png

A mix of European leagues for the sake of good simulation.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

Good luck with the new save. I hope Boston sack their manager and you get that job, but any VNN/MNN team will do. 

Thanks! So far I'm in October and nothing interesting has appeared yet. I'm sure the merry-go-round is going to start sooner rather than later though, really curious to see who becomes available!

Just now, Rikulec said:

Thanks! So far I'm in October and nothing interesting has appeared yet. I'm sure the merry-go-round is going to start sooner rather than later though, really curious to see who becomes available!

Yeah, the sackings at this level tend to come around November-March so a lot to look forward to

10 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

5B9iLuc.png

And here it is, my first interview. It's early November and they're hovering just above the Vanarama National South's relegation zone. Would be a perfect place to start, wouldn't it?

A very local team to me. Good luck.

p9Qmjoz.png

Boom. Here we go.

U91Evdk.png

Ryan Clark's Management Career - New Club - Hampton & Richmond Borough

yM2i6j6.png

Our great adventure begins here.

Club Name: Hampton & Richmond Borough
Nickname: The Beavers
Year Founded: 1920
Stadium: Beveree Stadium (3,500 capacity, 585 seated)

6K4k8jF.png

Pretty much as big a club as you'd expect at this level. No historical success to speak of, everything is yet to be written.

U3wh7Rj.png

On the 13th of November we sit 18th in the league. A good start could be crucial here - getting relegated with my first club wouldn't be the best beginning of a new career!

9 minutes ago, decapitated said:

Good luck :)

5 minutes ago, Constantine said:

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

A very local team to me. Good luck.

Thank you guys, getting so many responses so early on is really encouraging. You're great. :thup:

37 minutes ago, theBlackPrince said:

Good luck in your new save and bringing glory back to England, thats a tough job.....

Thank you!

22 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

So are you going English only, or just preferring English?

Just preferring, potentially with a further preference for players born in a specific region at some point. No hard restrictions though.

21 minutes ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

And of course it begins in the league I know nothing about. Good luck with H&R, they did well last year if I remember, losing to Braintree on pens in the playoff final so should be a good squad

Thank you. The squad is pretty well balanced and I generally have two players per position. No one really outstanding though, it's your typical top half squad, maybe with potential for a playoff push if the season goes well. Most likely not this season.

U91Evdk.png

Ryan Clark's Management Career - December 2018 - Hampton & Richmond Borough

National League South

lxyYYKj.png

ZvVL7kN.png

A decent month if you exclude Torquay, who were just too much for us. Our 37-year-old striker Craig Dundas has been on fire!

FA Trophy

PQRBB8q.png

It took us two games (three if you count the league) to finally beat East Thurrock.

In the next round we'll face Kidderminster at home.

Transfers

Harvey Moss - a backup player for the left wing.

First of all, I'm very happy to see your journey back in your hometown. Time to bring your career skyrocket to the top!:cool: Good luck!:)

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Qatar will be stripped of hosting the 2022 World Cup in real life, but I believe that many Asian giants are eyeing to replace Qatar. I hope that this will happen very soon.

17 minutes ago, sherwinriga said:

First of all, I'm very happy to see your journey back in your hometown. Time to bring your career skyrocket to the top!:cool: Good luck!:)

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Qatar will be stripped of hosting the 2022 World Cup in real life, but I believe that many Asian giants are eyeing to replace Qatar. I hope that this will happen very soon.

Thanks for the comment!

As for Qatar, at this point I think it's highly unlikely that the World Cup will be moved elsewhere. 2022 is going to be a strange year.

U91Evdk.png

Ryan Clark's Management Career - January 2019 - Hampton & Richmond Borough

National League South

saniewg.png

BOQt3rl.png

Pathetic. Three heavy defeats and 5 points out of 6 games - that's proper relegation form.

FA Trophy

W6LYJKO.png

I have no idea how we did it, they dominated in both games. I wish we could grab points like that in the league.

Hartlepool at home in the next round.

U91Evdk.png

Ryan Clark's Management Career - February 2019 - Hampton & Richmond Borough

National League South

6n9Z39D.png

pMy71uJ.png

More bad results and I'm also starting to lose the dressing room. Ten games to go and only two points separate us from the dreaded relegation zone.

FA Trophy

We7Ao1R.png

It was going well for an hour. Then we fell apart.

28 minutes ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

If you do hang on, give Bradley Clayton and Johnny Margetts a look. Goals look like an issue

I'll make sure to check them out, cheers. :thup:

11 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

A struggle to start Rikulec.

Looks like the days of FM19 being exceptionally kind to me are gone. :D

It seems like your guys are improving... Good. Keep it up.

On the side note, you have kinda inspired me to go back to the Vanarama leagues. Most fun i've had was while down there, so... Pilgrims. Something pulls me toward them. Hopefully Brexit doesn't ruin this one.

7250c5ea0af623b9cbb944d259b656c1.png

Sorry for the off topic. :)

5 hours ago, Constantine said:

It seems like your guys are improving... Good. Keep it up.

On the side note, you have kinda inspired me to go back to the Vanarama leagues. Most fun i've had was while down there, so... Pilgrims. Something pulls me toward them. Hopefully Brexit doesn't ruin this one.

7250c5ea0af623b9cbb944d259b656c1.png

Sorry for the off topic. :)

No problem. Nice to hear I've inspired you, best of luck in your career. :thup:

U91Evdk.png

Ryan Clark's Management Career - Season Review - 2018/19 - Hampton & Richmond Borough

Vanarama National League South

Results (Aug-Dec) (red line marks my arrival) - Results (Jan-Apr)

Competition Performance: 18th

Let's face it, we were awful and lucky to stay up. Some real heavy defeats in there and when we won we didn't feel convincing at all. I'm just thankful we didn't go down in the end despite losing potentially crucial games against Concord and Truro in the run-in.

FA Cup

Competition Performance: Second Qualifying Round

Probably one of the reasons why the previous gaffer was fired.

FA Trophy

Competition Performance: Third Round

We actually did pretty well here before crashing out in quite a spectacular fashion.

Squad

The star ratings look fine, but let's not forget they're relative - there's a difference in quality between us and most teams in the league and it's not favourable for us. A massive overhaul is needed here, hardly anyone in that team is good enough.

Transfers - Finances

Not much to talk about in terms of transfers... yet.

Of course we're bleeding money, of course we're in the red.

Player of the Season

1st - Craig Dundas - our top scorer. 11 goals may not seem that much, but it's still fairly impressive for a 38-year-old.

2nd - Ricky Wellard - banged in a few nice ones from long range. If only he wasn't so painfully slow!

3rd - Tyrell Miller-Rodney - we looked slightly better with him on the pitch than without him. Slightly being the important word here.

Next Season

I'm not sure if I'm up for the monumental task of rebuilding the squad from scratch. The board also don't seem to have a lot of faith in me and my contract also runs out in June. Decisions, decisions...

2 hours ago, Misterjokerboy said:

Bloody hell, that was quick :D Good luck with the next club, hopefully you will at least get to have a pre-season and be able to bring players in to do a decent job

I guess this happens from time to time. :D

I can tell you I've been offered the job by both Whitehawk and Margate. I'll post an update later today once I get the chance to play FM.

I am also pro Whitehawk. 

On 03/02/2019 at 21:31, Rikulec said:

potentially with a further preference for players born in a specific region at some point

You could recruit players from the California region ;-) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehawk,_California

In my mind they would be native Americans with a name as Whitehawk. 

On 06/02/2019 at 13:10, Mandy42 said:

Who wouldn't want to be a Whitehawk? much cooler name!

On 06/02/2019 at 14:17, Kalme Saki said:

I am also pro Whitehawk. 

You could recruit players from the California region ;-) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehawk,_California

In my mind they would be native Americans with a name as Whitehawk. 

20 hours ago, coady said:

I'd rather Margate. A better run club than Whitehawk, who have sunk financially in recent years. That sacking seemed extremely harsh too!

Here comes the reveal...

LWFpr2n.png

5PyrJAn.png

Both clubs' situation was so similar that I decided to simply follow the money.

fD1XyFc.png

Ryan Clark's Management Career - New Club - Margate FC

pQ1oD2U.png

This time I get a full season to prove myself.

Club Name: Margate Football Club
Nickname: The Gate
Year Founded: 1896
Stadium: Hartsdown Park (3,000 capacity, 500 seated)

gGjQZRu.png

Nothing to write home about really.

dDXrZDQ.png

We have ten players and no backroom staff. The league starts in a month. This is going to be fun. :D

fD1XyFc.png

Ryan Clark's Management Career - Season Preview - 2019/20 - Margate FC

Board Expectations:

Vanarama National League South: Fight bravely against relegation
FA Cup: Third Qualifying Round
FA Trophy: Third Qualifying Round

My Expectations:

Vanarama National League South: Just finish above 20th.
FA Cup: Anything that brings us money.
FA Trophy: Same as above.

Budgets:

Transfer: £15,998
Wage: £6,145 (currently spending £2,809)
Balance: £170,393

6 minutes ago, Jambo_ said:

The positive is that there's plenty of money free on the wage budget to bring in some players. Best of luck for the season with Margate :thup:

Thanks. I'm really optimistic, after all I've always felt confident building squads when I had the summer transfer window at my disposal.

Archived