PMLF

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Constantine said:

First you gotta beat us today :brock:

We will, but if we don't, make sure to come here later to laugh at me. :D 

21 hours ago, PMLF said:

Many Brazilians actually want Brazil vs Germany so we can beat them this time.

Brazil could return the favour with a similar thrashing against this German team. It's why part of me thinks them getting through would be a good thing. 

Just now, D_LO_ said:

Brazil could return the favour with a similar thrashing against this German team. It's why part of me thinks them getting through would be a good thing. 

Motivation to do so will certainly not be an issue, but I suppose Germany will grow if they play against a top opponent, so a trashing would not be likely. 

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Motivation to do so will certainly not be an issue, but I suppose Germany will grow if they play against a top opponent, so a trashing would not be likely. 

Yeah you would think so but they have no pace at the back and are they going to reel Kimmich in? Hard to see, so the right is always exposed. Don't rate Hector much particularly. Whilst Khedira is making Mascherano look like Kante.

IF Germany get through surely someone will hammer them :D

17 minutes ago, Constantine said:

There's no chance for that now that Germany is out. Quota for surprises for this World cup has been filled 😁 

Maybe the quota is bigger than we think.

Neymar is still clearly far from 100% physically, not that it excuses his awful attitude and decisions. Jesus and Willian also not performing. But we had luck when it counted and still topped the hardest group (for a 1st seed, imho). :thup:

Bit of an injury crisis going on though.

Things worth blaming Tite for anyway:

-Goalkeeper choice

-Renato Augusto existing

-No ST

-Not resting Neymar

-Not bringing in someone fit for Fred when he could

But he's doing that loyalty to his players thing, so who knows. Like always, as long as we keep winning, it's all forgivable...

3 minutes ago, Helarxe said:

Neymar is still clearly far from 100% physically, not that it excuses his awful attitude and decisions. Jesus and Willian also not performing. But we had luck when it counted and still topped the hardest group (for a 1st seed, imho). :thup:

Bit of an injury crisis going on though.

Things worth blaming Tite for anyway:

-Goalkeeper choice

-Renato Augusto existing

-No ST

-Not resting Neymar

-Not bringing in someone fit for Fred when he could

But he's doing that loyalty to his players thing, so who knows. Like always, as long as we keep winning, it's all forgivable...

Yes, Tite making the same mistakes all other Brazilian NT managers do, but he is getting results, unlike some of the previous ones.

5 hours ago, Constantine said:

There's no chance for that now that Germany is out. Quota for surprises for this World cup has been filled 😁 

That ended up being true. :cool: 

Brazil vs Mexico should be interesting, especially because we don't know if it will be the 'good Mexico' or the 'bad Mexico' that will play the match.

Interesting article in Portuguese that explains why Gabriel Jesus starts for Brazil. Other players in Brazil squad refer to him as 'phenomenon' due to his dedication, hard work, teamwork and how he helps the team's defending:

https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/selecao-brasileira/noticia/solidariedade-salva-fenomeno-gabriel-jesus-adorado-mesmo-sem-gols-na-copa.ghtml

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

As said before though, Firmino offers all of that. It's actually the one area he's indisputably better than Gabriel at all.

So it's a poor argument. 

Not at the national team though. Liverpool is Liverpool, Brazil is Brazil.

4 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Not at the national team though. Liverpool is Liverpool, Brazil is Brazil.

Well given he's been like this his whole club career it's not just Liverpool.

The performing better for Brazil pre-World Cup argument is a sound one. There's no need to add stuff that just isn't true like Gabriel being a better presser.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Well given he's been like this his whole club career it's not just Liverpool.

The performing better for Brazil pre-World Cup argument is a sound one. There's no need to add stuff that just isn't true like Gabriel being a better presser.

The argument made by the article is that GJ does all the stuff described there when he plays for Brazil's national team, therefore the NT staff and his teammates fell there is no need to drop him.

The fact Firmino does all these things better at club level is the argument usually made in his favor, but it is a fairly irrelevant argument as he is playing for Brazil at the moment, not for Liverpool.

I think the major mistake though is that Tite wasted the friendlies, Firmino didn't start many games for Brazil (but when he did start, he was poor), and most of those games were more than a year ago, so there is always a 'what if' factor if he starts again.

Honestly I had no problem with Gabriel starting over Firmino going into the World Cup. It's just that there's been 3 games now and nothing to suggest it's been the right call. Same with Willian who has also been poor.

By the way where does Firmino usually play for Brazil when he comes on? He can't play well anywhere but centrally so maybe that would explain it.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Honestly I had no problem with Gabriel starting over Firmino going into the World Cup. It's just that there's been 3 games now and nothing to suggest it's been the right call. Same with Willian who has also been poor.

By the way where does Firmino usually play for Brazil when he comes on? He can't play well anywhere but centrally so maybe that would explain it.

He plays mainly centrally, as for Willian, I think he is a big issue but Douglas Costa got injured, so there is a lack of options.

Willian could play a huge role, defensively against the bigger sides. It's the type of work which goes unnoticed. I don't see Brazil giving up many opportunities down their right with him even if his productivity is questioned (which seems weird as he's normally so good there too). 

3 hours ago, Constantine said:

Not sure why Liverpool fans are complaining about Firmino not playing... After all, they're gonna get fresher player when the league start. :) 

To be honest I'm not even. I'm saying Gabriel doesn't deserve to start. If they had an alternative to Firmino I'd say they also deserve a chance.

Tite has confirmed that Filipe will start against Mexico tomorrow, Thiago Silva will be the team's captain, this will be Brazil's lineup tomorrow:

Alisson; Fagner, Thiago Silva, Miranda, Filipe Luís; Casemiro; Willian, Paulinho, Coutinho, Neymar; Gabriel Jesus

Gabriel Jesus praised by Brazil's national team staff for his performance today, no Brazilian player covered a bigger distance than he did today, Globo Esporte believes he will start against Belgium:

https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/selecao-brasileira/noticia/jesus-segue-sem-gol-mas-muda-posicao-corre-muito-e-ganha-elogio-trator.ghtml

He must be the best player I have ever hated!

"They stepped on me, that wasn't fair. You can't do that," Neymar told TV Globo. "They talked a lot but now they're going home."

"I don't care much for criticism, or praise, because this can influence your attitude. I think it's more an attempt to undermine me than anything else."

image.gif

12 minutes ago, daylight said:

He must be the best player I have ever hated!

"They stepped on me, that wasn't fair. You can't do that," Neymar told TV Globo. "They talked a lot but now they're going home."

"I don't care much for criticism, or praise, because this can influence your attitude. I think it's more an attempt to undermine me than anything else."

image.gif

Neymar says he doesn't care about it at the same time he claims this is done to undermine him...

1 hour ago, PMLF said:

Gabriel Jesus praised by Brazil's national team staff for his performance today, no Brazilian player covered a bigger distance than he did today, Globo Esporte believes he will start against Belgium:

https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/selecao-brasileira/noticia/jesus-segue-sem-gol-mas-muda-posicao-corre-muito-e-ganha-elogio-trator.ghtml

Some guy at Lance! also defending Gabriel Jesus' performance so far:

http://blogs.lance.com.br/superraiox/gabriel-jesus-quando-a-conviccao-da-analise-vira-perseguicao/

It seems Liverpool's hype machine hasn't reached Brazilian press too strongly yet.

1 hour ago, PMLF said:

No wonder. Seems sucking up works a treat with Tite. Or he has low standards - Firmino eats kms for breakfast if you want to reduce such an important role to running.

9 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

No wonder. Seems sucking up works a treat with Tite. Or he has low standards - Firmino eats kms for breakfast if you want to reduce such an important role to running.

The running reflects the fact he helps to create space for others, and how he helps the team's defending.

Maybe Firmino could do better if he started, who knows, but GJ is doing fine apart from not scoring.

We shouldn't really expect Brazilian press/fans and foreign press/fans to have the same opinion anyway.

15 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Firmino is better at that anyway. We aren't going to agree though so no point going over it again.

Yes, we probably won't. Better agree to disagree. :) 

2 minutes ago, JDownie said:

I don't think Jesus has been playing poorly for Brazil. He's just not scoring a lot. If only I could recall the person telling me yesterday that goals weren't all there was to a player's game... 

That'd be me. What do you think he's adding other than work rate which can be easily replaced?

Don't think that just because I said goals aren't everything, I think running around as a striker is enough. He's been well below his City form, isn't adding anything in the build up and hasn't got on the end of much. 

Neymar isn't linking with him well either (only partly Gabriel's fault)

8 hours ago, PMLF said:

Neymar says he doesn't care about it at the same time he claims this is done to undermine him...

Whether he cares or not, he's a cheat. He's trying to cheat the referee in to thinking he's hurt, or more hurt than he really is with consequences for the player that tackled him. It's cheating. I won't give Brazil one ounce of respect if they win this world cup with behaviour like that.

8 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Firmino gonna start the next game. Belguim win and PMLF will lord it up and celebrate like Brazil won the WC. 

It's not like I hate him! I want that Brazil win the title, even if Firmino ends up being the one scoring the winning goal. 

Tite has confirmed the Brazilian lineup against Belgium, Miranda will be the captain this time:

Alisson; Fagner, Thiago Silva, Miranda, Marcelo; Fernandinho; Paulinho, Coutinho, Willian, Neymar; Gabriel Jesus

I wonder if Tite announcing beforehand that Marcelo starts will affect Martinez's thinking with regards as to whether or not to start Mertens. Because Meunier will not exploit Marcelo the same way Mertens will. 

I can't wait for the game. Hope it's a classic. 

Just now, JDownie said:

I wonder if Tite announcing beforehand that Marcelo starts will affect Martinez's thinking with regards as to whether or not to start Mertens. Because Meunier will not exploit Marcelo the same way Mertens will. 

I can't wait for the game. Hope it's a classic. 

I am sure Martínez already expected Marcelo to start.

Just now, JDownie said:

Filipe Luis played well against Mexico I thought. 

Yes, he did, but Marcelo was the starter and one of the team's main stars.

Archived