Friendlies: Do Players and AI Know?

I see my players taking friendlies as seriously as a season game. They even get cards, get tired, injured.

Is there any evidence that they know that these are just friendlies?.... Does the opposing AI also know that?...

Well, there's whole attribute for how they react to the importance of games, so surely they must have some coding/understanding for games of minimal importance?

I guess even in real life we see some players take friendlies perhaps too seriously.

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Well, there's whole attribute for how they react to the importance of games, so surely they must have some coding/understanding for games of minimal importance?

I guess even in real life we see some players take friendlies perhaps too seriously.

I see where you are coming from, but I have always thought that this attribute was an indicator of how well the player got motivated for important games, but never thought about if they were undermotivated for lesser games

Is there any chance in the future of implementing friendly rules like no red cards? Or red card means they must be subbed immediately? I've had a few red cards after 10 minutes that have just ruined an entire friendly from a learning my tactic POV.

All advice I've ever read and any observations I've made myself suggest there is a difference between friendlies and competitive matches - players don't "try" as hard in friendlies.

At the very least, player body language reflects this.  The number of players "looking complacent" in friendlies (for example) is far greater and much more common than in competitive matches and this will act as a match engine modifier.  Possibly somewhat tempered however by challenging the players at the start of a friendly "there are places up for grabs, impress me".  Still, complacent players seem to be much more common in friendlies.

As another indicator player condition doesn't seem to drop as much or as rapidly during friendlies, possibly being reflective of players not trying as hard.  But that can be difficult to judge as players tend to have lower match fitness.

@Nic Madden Can you confirm this please?  Do our players / the AI / the ME indeed know it's a friendly match and thus there are modifiers in place that would be akin to players not "trying as hard" as they would during a competitive match?

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

I see where you are coming from, but I have always thought that this attribute was an indicator of how well the player got motivated for important games, but never thought about if they were undermotivated for lesser games

I believe the attribute to work the same way as you do. Just thinking that if they understand important games to gain the motivation boost, then logically, they must also understand when games aren't important?

There will be instances though whereby friendlies are used for giving players important minutes to improve their fitness, players coming back from injury, players not in the first eleven who want to impress, young players wanting to impress first team manager etc. These players probably won't want to ease off as they could class friendlies as opportunities

3 hours ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

There will be instances though whereby friendlies are used for giving players important minutes to improve their fitness, players coming back from injury, players not in the first eleven who want to impress, young players wanting to impress first team manager etc. These players probably won't want to ease off as they could class friendlies as opportunities

Maybe a pre game/half time command to that player something along the lines of 'show me you deserve a place in the starting XI on the first day of the season' or 'you need to gain fitness before I consider you for the league games' to the players on the fringes of the first team/working their way back from injuries? That would mean they would take it more seriously whilst the others don't so much.

Regarding the AI taking friendlies seriously, i'd argue they do. I have my assistant take control of friendlies, and he will always pick the strongest team possible, no matter the opposition. If a premier league side takes on a non league side in a friendly the AI should be selecting a predominantly youth/reserve side

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 2/7/2018 at 09:06, herne79 said:

Can you confirm this please?  Do our players / the AI / the ME indeed know it's a friendly match and thus there are modifiers in place that would be akin to players not "trying as hard" as they would during a competitive match?

Sorry for the late reply on this Herne79.

The AI are more willing to rotate players, make more subs in friendlies as they need to make sure the condition of the players isn't hindered completely. The importance of the match is factored in. The strings that the user is given before friendlies are also more geared to asking the player to "impress" or "the result doesn't matter" and the AI have the ability to do this too.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nic

I noticed that if i have a Player injured, during a friendly or not, it seems to be wise to Sub in a physicaly strong Player in the sense that this Player is hard to injure, as it seems at times, that certain Position are tackled hard cause i have had Matches both in friendlies as in competition where i get up to 3 Players injured (starting Player + 2 Sub).

Archived