Lyn_Oslo.png.045727f6cf0569cd9728ab24220f0b9d.png

Lyn
Norwegian Premier Division

2022 Season Review

League - Table - some slight improvement leading us to a 12th place finish and avoiding the relegation play off this time

Cup - Fixtures - a little better as we got to the semis only to lose to Brann

Key players:  Transfers | Squad

Petter Steenberg YP19b -another great player from our youth team, has now replaced Torp

Chuma Anene - decent return from the striker

Morten Saetra - solid between the posts

Moustapha N'Diaye - a great season from the Sengalese winger

Youth Update:

These are generally pretty good again

Intake

Finances - a lot better but still the board refuse turning professional.....

Season		League		    	  Position		 Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018		Norwegian 2nd Division 		1st		Champions, Promoted
2019		Norwegian 1st Division          8th
2020            Norwegian 1st Division          1st            Champions, Promoted
2021            Norwegian Premier Division      14th
2022            Norwegian Premier Division      12th

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DFC_Logo-93x128.jpg
Hugo De Luca - Dollingstown FC - Northern Ireland - End of Season Eleven (2028/29)

The League

I'm starting to get frustrated at the lack of progress. Another drab mid-table finish although we got extremely lucky in that we managed to "back-door-Kev" our way into the Europa League. We lost in the Euro Places playoff, but for reasons I've not quite worked out yet (improved national coefficients, maybe?) we still find ourselves entering the first qualifying round. I did also manage to win Manager of the Year, which was nice.

League Overview | League Fixtures 1 & 2 | Past Positions

Europe

Not Applicable.

Other Competitions

Much like the league, this was disappointing all around.

Competitions Overview | Fixtures

Key Players

Aaron Owens - Still by far our best player. He's now been attracting scouting from Grant McCann who has been looking at him for a full team call-up. It's not happened yet, but he's still young. Also nearly lost him at the end of the season as I'd promised him a top-half finish this year. Fortunately, he was willing to admit that we had a fantastic dressing room and that he'd be foolish to leave that behind.    

Adam Hanley - I still haven't replaced him, and he's repaid my faith by continuing to be among my better performers. The current intention is that even if/when I do get someone in for his position I'll keep Hanley around as a rotation option.

Jack Matthews - Playing on the opposite wing to Hanley and honestly probably equally as important. Unfortunately, a tactical change has rendered him a bit less useful now than he was for most of the season.

The Squad

I don't really know what more I can do here without serious funding increases. Unless I can get a few repeated runs in Europe I just don't have the money to get much in the way of improvements. We don't really have the facilities to develop youngsters well, and we don't quite have the reputation to attract top players.

Squad Overview | Club Awards | Best Eleven (All Time) | Dynamics | Hierarchy | Social Groups | Records

Finances

A year without Europe and again it drops off a cliff. Luckily we're in again this year so another bump in funds is due, but we need to be aiming to make it into Europe every season if we want to improve.

Finances | Projected

Season    League                   Position    FA Cup           Europe                Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment   Achievements/Notes        Top Scorer             Most Assists                  Highest Avg Rating        Capacity/Average Attendance
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19   Premier Intermediate     10th        5th Round        N/A                   Basic                  Basic                Fairly Basic        Basic               Survival                  Black (13)             Falvey (8)                    Hanley (7.07)             1000 (108)
2019/20   Premier Intermediate     2nd         6th Round        N/A                   Basic                  Basic                Fairly Basic        Basic               Playoff losers            Dunlop (26)            Walsh (9)                     McClurg (7.20)            1000 (134)
2020/21   Premier Intermediate     1st	       6th Round	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Promoted!		    Klobusek (24)	   Hanley/Robinson (12)          McLaughlin (7.47)	   1000 (117)
2021/22   Championship             6th         4th Round	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Survival		    Farren (20)	           Robinson (10)                 Robinson (7.21)	   1000 (130)
2022/23   Championship             2nd         Qtr Final	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Playoff losers            Farren (36)	           Hanley (25)                   Hanley (7.50)  	   1000 (154)
2023/24   Championship             1st         5th Round	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Promoted                  Farren (20)	           Hanley (18)                   Noble (7.37)   	   1000 (104)
2024/25   Premiership              9th         Winners!		N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  FA Cup Winners!           Robinson (23)          Hanley (15)                   Millar (7.06)   	   1000 (187)
2025/26   Premiership              9th         Qtr Final	2nd Qual	      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  First run in Europe       Roscoe (17)            Hanley (11)                   Millar (7.19)   	   1000 (379)
2026/27   Premiership              7th         6th Round	N/A     	      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  EL Qualification          Millar (15)            Hanley (14)                   N. Owens (7.08)   	   1000 (202)
2027/28   Premiership              6th         Semi Final	3rd Qual     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  N/A		            Anderson (25)          Hanley/Woods (14)             Hanley (7.14)   	   1000 (567)
2028/29   Premiership              7th         Qtr Final	N/A     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  EL Qualification          Wilson (18)            Hanley (13)                   Hanley (7.21)   	   1000 (232)

Goals

This Season

Qualify for Europe
>55 league points (42)
>80% passing accuracy (Forgot to look, but I doubt it)

Next Season

£250k+ in the bank
Europa League Fourth Qualifying Round
European Qualification again

FC_Viikingit_logo.svg.png.995c2274abbde41804fbb138b223741a.png

I've decided to have a go as my favorite Finnish team FC Viikingit. It was between them and FC Jazz. I'm always fond of as game in the Finnish League and have done several Gundo challenges there. I find however I never quite hold on to complete the challenge and invariably lose interest at the point where there is no challenge in the Domestic League but am not quite good enough to do better than scrape out of a Champions League group.

Domestic League History

2 hours ago, Andrew Haines said:

FC_Viikingit_logo.svg.png.995c2274abbde41804fbb138b223741a.png

I've decided to have a go as my favorite Finnish team FC Viikingit. It was between them and FC Jazz. I'm always fond of as game in the Finnish League and have done several Gundo challenges there. I find however I never quite hold on to complete the challenge and invariably lose interest at the point where there is no challenge in the Domestic League but am not quite good enough to do better than scrape out of a Champions League group.

Domestic League History

Good luck, that's one of the teams I've been eyeing for when I get my inevitable sack in Scotland. 

I've played with them quite a lot. I started playing Gundo challenges in about 2012 I think but before I discovered that I always played as Viikingit in the Finnish first division. They went down to the third tier two or three years ago so became viable for the challenge again.

Got to love 'The Vikings'

My game as Viikingit went a bit weird. I've ended up ditching it, despite having achieved promotion at the first attempt. I was top of the league with a ten point lead with only ten games to go (only a 27 game season..). I won a game 5-0.. FM crashed. I loaded back up and played it again winning 1-0.. no bother I thought. The next game crashed midway through the second half where I led 2-0. This is where the problems began. I had a quick look on the bugs forum and it is obviously an issue they are aware of. I noticed a public beta available of 18.3.3 and decided to give it a go.

After the beta installed I reloaded the game. I didn't win another game all season. This cost me top spot and put me in a promotion playoff (which I won). In my head however I couldn't help but feel that the patch had changed the balance of the ME and caused my tactic to be ineffective. Difficult to tell at the low standard of the Finnish second tier as the players are pretty bad. I don't believe I was correct as a) I'm fairly sure a stability patch wouldn't include ME changes and b) I retested my tactic in a game in the English divisions and it seems to work okay. The effect was psychologically the game was tarnished for me and I lost heart (this is why I only buy the game at the third patch as I am funny about patch releases affecting tactical performance - not an issue with a properly balanced tactic though). As a note, the stability issues seem to have gone with 18.3.3 so good news at least.

I'm having another go, this time in the Swedish league. I like Scandanavia and had a look in Norway first, I couldn't see a team I liked (Lillehammer just wouldn't come up despite a lot of reloading) so had a look in Sweden. The only team that interested me was IFK Trelleborg but I did a Gundo challenge last year with them so was reluctant. I poked around a few other leagues.. had a bit more reloading in Norway and finally settled on another crack at IFK.

Domestic League History

IFK Trelleborg

IFK_Trelleborg.png.e5f264988f4d96780cadfa2bbe071e90.png  

Division 2 Ostra Gotaland– 2018/19 – 10th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

The first season is always the worst. We were fairly clear of the relegation zone but never pulled any consistency together. Some of the players are decent enough but I will need a lot of new transfers to start thinking about promotion.

Financially we are losing are fair amount of money for the level. We have a 70k deficit at the end of the season. This may be problematic as I don’t see income massively increasing until we hit the top flight. That is 3 promotions away however.

Key Players

Adam Larsson – Solid defender picked up from Frej.

Patrik Pettersen – Probably the best player in terms of performance. Contributed a disappointing 4 goals and 1 assist however.

Andreas Bellander – Scored 11 goals in an injury hit season.

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19         Div 2                           10th        

congratulations on staying up in the first season @Andrew Haines, always the hardest season in many respects.  Looking forward to the upcoming updates @Biscotti and @Crispypaul.

As for me, i am working through pre-season in Italy and I will do a preview once i reach the end of the transfer window.

12 minutes ago, rlipscombe said:

breaking-news.png

Ten years after first setting foot in the Giuseppe Sinigaglia, I am returning to Como to attempt to complete this year's challenge.  Having taken Como to Serie A in FM08, I am back ten years later to try and 'finish the job' of Italian and European success.  I have no doubt that this will be difficult, and I can't guarantee I will do it, but I will give it a shot.

11392918_393893514128217_519293111671753

Civil Service Strollers 2022-2023

Progress! We avoided the relegation playoff this season

League Table

Well, 9th, but a 14 point jump from the previous season. Have to solidify the defense as we were the worst in the league but we put some goals in the net at least. Came this close to giving it up and moving on to Russia after a 9 game winless streak

Cups

Shut out with 4 losses in the Betfred Cup group stage. Won our first game in the IRN-BRU, beating Hibernian's Under 20s 3-1 before falling to St. Johnstone Under 20s 0-3. We were knocked out in our first Scottish Cup matchup, losing to Peterhead in a replay.

Key Players

MC Jay Cheyne was our player of the year with a 7.02 average rating with a team leading 6 assists. Leaning toward not bringing him back next season though, his lack of determination and bravery really bother me.

ST Jordan MacRae was our leading goal scorer again with 17 and he's signed for next season.

GK Thomas Cordery was signed from Preston Athletic and did a nice job with 131 saves in 35 games. He's not our problem on defense, we need to give him less work.

DC Owen Hunter wasn't actually a key player for this season, but I am excited for him next year.  We actually had him on loan from Celtic last season but he refused to sign for us until late in the season.

Youth Intake

Actually have to players in our intake who I think can be future contributors.  DC David Glen looks like he could be a tall, if slow, centerback for the future.  And MC Brian McLaren looks like he could be a strong playmaker.

Finances

Our finances are starting to get a bit red, down to -187K despite our staying far under payroll. I don't foresee this being a problem for awhile though.

So yeah, maybe midtable next season? We're running a 5-3-2 and I think I have my back 6 in place. I need some defensive help in the middle field and a support striker to go with MacRae. Regardless, we're closer to being competitive.

progress indeed @Tecmo.  From what you say it sounds like supporting the defence a little in midfield would help.  Owen Hunter looks like he could be a promising player and someone to build your defence around.  Looking at the table you don't appear to be too far from mid-table so hopefully you can make that next season.

Lyn

2023 Season Review

League - Table - quite a dramatic improvement as we ended up with a 6th place finish

Cup - Fixtures - dropped back from last season with a quarter final exit to Haugesund

Key players:  Transfers | Squad

Petter Steenberg YP19b - another great season, probably our best player now 

Runar Espejord - good season from the striker

Brage Tollerud YP20D - another breakthrough from our youth team with a great partnership with Steenberg

Martin Bjornbak - solid in central defence

Youth Update:

(Apologies forgot to take screenshots - but generally good!)

Finances - healthier now but the board still refuse to turn professional!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020            Norwegian 1st Division          1st            Champions, Promoted
2023            Norwegian Premier Division	6th

10 hours ago, rlipscombe said:

progress indeed @Tecmo.  From what you say it sounds like supporting the defence a little in midfield would help.  Owen Hunter looks like he could be a promising player and someone to build your defence around.  Looking at the table you don't appear to be too far from mid-table so hopefully you can make that next season.

It's a very rare occasion when we get totally outplayed. We're good at losing by a goal. Hoping that increasing the work rate and determination of the squad will help.

Lyn

2024 Season Review

League - Table - dropped back a little, finishing 7th this time.

Cup - Fixtures - our first piece of a silverwave after we lifted the cup with a 1-0 win in the final

Key players:  Transfers | Squad - didn't really make any changes this time, as we're getting more good youth players through

Petter Steenberg YP19b - continued his previous excellence

Brage Tollerud YP20D - as did he

Markus Habestad - top scorer

Hakon Helland Hoseth - good number of goals and assists from the attacking midfielder

Youth Update:

Intake - good again.  I am going to do a separate update on this generally.

Finances - healthy enough now that we have finally turned professional

2024		Norwegian Premier Division      7th             Cup Winners, Turned Professional

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief one this time, as It's been about 3 weeks since I last played the save at all and also because it's difficult to say "not really any progress" and still make it somewhat worth reading. Sorry for the delay - Got back from my holiday nearly 2 weeks ago, but the Crusader Kings II was free on steam and I can only dedicate my time to one massively in-depth game at a time.

DFC_Logo-93x128.jpg
Hugo De Luca - Dollingstown FC - Northern Ireland - End of Season Twelve (2029/30)

In case my little note above didn't give it away, we finished a very middling 7th in the league again, plus losing out in the Semi-Final of the Europa playoff. Nothing remarkable in the cups either, including our European "run" as far as the Second Qualifying round. Although the 8-0 mauling we gave to Llandudno did feel good.

I'm honestly struggling at the moment to decide what to do in order to bridge the gap to the professional teams, but taking a break away has given me some distance from my players, so I'm thinking to thin the squad out a bit over the summer. I'm also looking at perhaps a philosophy change, as while we're pretty good at possession football we're still completely outmatched by the big guns. My thinking is that we need to simplify things and get players playing more to their role, so I'll be trying out some new things moving forward.

I didn't come anywhere near my stated goals from last season, so I'm not going to set myself any new ones.

Season    League                   Position    FA Cup           Europe                Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment   Achievements/Notes        Top Scorer             Most Assists                  Highest Avg Rating        Capacity/Average Attendance
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19   Premier Intermediate     10th        5th Round        N/A                   Basic                  Basic                Fairly Basic        Basic               Survival                  Black (13)             Falvey (8)                    Hanley (7.07)             1000 (108)
2019/20   Premier Intermediate     2nd         6th Round        N/A                   Basic                  Basic                Fairly Basic        Basic               Playoff losers            Dunlop (26)            Walsh (9)                     McClurg (7.20)            1000 (134)
2020/21   Premier Intermediate     1st	       6th Round	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Promoted!		    Klobusek (24)	   Hanley/Robinson (12)          McLaughlin (7.47)	   1000 (117)
2021/22   Championship             6th         4th Round	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Survival		    Farren (20)	           Robinson (10)                 Robinson (7.21)	   1000 (130)
2022/23   Championship             2nd         Qtr Final	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Playoff losers            Farren (36)	           Hanley (25)                   Hanley (7.50)  	   1000 (154)
2023/24   Championship             1st         5th Round	N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  Promoted                  Farren (20)	           Hanley (18)                   Noble (7.37)   	   1000 (104)
2024/25   Premiership              9th         Winners!		N/A		      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  FA Cup Winners!           Robinson (23)          Hanley (15)                   Millar (7.06)   	   1000 (187)
2025/26   Premiership              9th         Qtr Final	2nd Qual	      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  First run in Europe       Roscoe (17)            Hanley (11)                   Millar (7.19)   	   1000 (379)
2026/27   Premiership              7th         6th Round	N/A     	      Basic		     Basic		  Fairly Basic	      Basic		  EL Qualification          Millar (15)            Hanley (14)                   N. Owens (7.08)   	   1000 (202)
2027/28   Premiership              6th         Semi Final	3rd Qual     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  N/A		            Anderson (25)          Hanley/Woods (14)             Hanley (7.14)   	   1000 (567)
2028/29   Premiership              7th         Qtr Final	N/A     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  EL Qualification          Wilson (18)            Hanley (13)                   Hanley (7.21)   	   1000 (232)
2029/30   Premiership              7th         Qtr Final	2nd Qual     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  N//A                      McDaid (12)            Russell (15)                  McDaid (7.14)   	   1000 (374)

Doing a temporary rage quit on my Strollers. Season was going well enough, then another slide started, culminating with giving up 4 goals in the first 15 minutes against then last place Straenar. And losing my best striker for several weeks. Need to try something else for a bit.

Civil Service Strollers 2023-2024

Well, finished it off and survived another year winning both legs of the relegation playoff against Brora.

League Table

Stayed out of last for most of the season until a 9 game winless run at the end sunk us. The defense actually got worse. Injuries played a part and we gave up a stupid number of penalty kicks, 8 on the season. Offensively, we actually did well with possession, the second best % and the most passes completed but we struggled to create quality chances. And injuries, so many injuries. All of my strikers missed significant time and my poor run at the end started with 2 of my top 3 defenders on the shelf.

Jordan Macrae was voted player of the season but I was pretty disappointed with him. 5 separate injuries and 10 goals and 3 assists in 20 appearances.

MC Darren Nicholson was our best signing, in my mind at least and should be my primary playmaker going forward, at least until he leaves.

Fraser Ramsay was our leading scorer with 11 goals, brought in on loan during the winter transfer window from St. Mirren. 11 goals overall including a hat trick in the first half of his first game with us.

We were pretty poor in our cup competitions as well. We actually beat a League 1 side in the Betfred Cup but lost our other 3 games to finish last in the group. We also lost 0-2 to Hibernian U20s in the IRN-BRU and 0-1 to Stranraer in the Scottish Cup.

Financially we were 300K in the red but had a board takeover at the end of the season that wiped out our debts. Finances still look ugly going forward but the club has been happy with our control of the payroll so it's not a concern.

When I resume this I probably nee to try a new tactical approach. Been using narrow formations, 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 diamond but I'm just not getting enough from the wing backs and can't find the quality out there that is necessary. Thinking I'll try a 4-4-1-1 with Nicholson in the hole and letting my fullbacks concentrate more on defense. One interesting thing that will bring me back next season is that Edinburgh City has been relegated from League 1, so we'll have our first Edinburgh derbies next season.

@Biscotti - understand your frustrations.  hopefully your little time out will allow you to look at the situation and the squad with fresh eyes and help you make the next step next season.

@Tecmo - again i feel your pain.  hopefully the prospect of Edinburgh derbies will help you go afresh.

As for me, i have actually started the challenge and am in March of the first season.  I hesitated in announcing my attempt at first to make sure that i actually stuck at it but given it is March i will post something soon all being well.

Feeling pretty motivated again. Searching desperately for a main striker to fit my tactic. Ramsay would have been perfect but St Mirren wasn't willing to loan him to us again, instead I'll get to face him with Alloa.

20 hours ago, Tecmo said:

Feeling pretty motivated again. Searching desperately for a main striker to fit my tactic. Ramsay would have been perfect but St Mirren wasn't willing to loan him to us again, instead I'll get to face him with Alloa.

good luck with the striker search... :thup:

Lyn

2025 Season Review

League - Table - well that was a turn up for the books!  We were pretty good before but getting our players onto full time contracts plus some additions kicked us up to a whole new level and we finally win the league.  Now for the next, much harder part!

Cup - Fixtures - retained the trophy with a win against Molde on penalties in the final.  I also won the Super Cup in preseason.

Europa League - FixturesTable - an excellent performance for our first European tour for some time, winning the Group Stage and setting up a 1st Knockout round tie against Wolfsburg.

Key players:  Transfers | Squad - our turn to being professional meant I could sign some much better players, including two Northern Ireland internationals one of whom (John Gray) is suddenly getting interest from Man Utd, Arsenal, and Spurs.  I have not included him below as I mainly rotated him.

Petter Steenberg YP19b - great again, now also a Model Professional and club captain.

Sonni Nattestad - Faroese centre back on loan from Lillestrom

Brage Tollerud YP20D - continuing to be a key player, although only 1 Norway cap still

Ismail Saglam - Turkish attacking midfielder signed on a free, had a great first season and had (rejected) bids from Besiktas

Andre - you could tell our reputation increased when we signed this veteran striker with 5 Brazil caps on a free - was our top scorer although returning to Brazil after I baulked at his wage demands

Youth Update:

Intake - not bad although I realised my U19 team was now too small so will have to sign up more players in 2026

Finances - much healthier after our league position and performance in Europe.

2024		Norwegian Premier Division      7th             Cup Winners, Turned Professional
2025		Norwegian Premier Division	1st		League Winners, Cup Winners, Supercup Winners, EL Knockouts

DFC_Logo-93x128.jpg
Hugo De Luca - Dollingstown FC - Northern Ireland - End of Season Thirteen (2030/31)

I said in my last update that it was time for a different approach. That goes for my updates as well. Incoming wall of text - I'll try and keep it somewhat worth reading.

I  said I wanted to simplify things, so after a little early-season tinkering, I ended up with a 4-4-2 with only 3 team instructions. The goal was no longer possession, but instead to be solid at the back while still creating plenty of chances. In spite of this, we only managed to rank 7th in the league for chances created. We did make up for this by ranking joint-second on clean sheets, and top on tackles won. We also scored the third most goals resulting in us finishing a comfortable 3rd in the league, including an incredible win over Cliftonville to end their 16 match unbeaten run. If it weren't for a drop off in form right at the end of the season, we'd have probably made second and not had to worry about the European Playoff. Fortunately, Glentoran won the FA Cup, meaning we were guaranteed our spot in the Europa League regardless of the final result.

Shout-outs are due for Aaron Owens (New Clean Sheets Record at 19), Johnny Lynch (New League goals record at 27) and Wayne McQuillan (Young Player of the Season, loan extended for a further year). Newly inducted into the Best Eleven are Alan Watson and Colin McDaid.

Looking forward I think I've got to maintain this momentum. I'm not under any illusions that we can win the league yet - I'm pretty sure professional status will need to be achieved first - but there's no good reason we can't push for top 3 every season going forward. I'm letting more of my fringe players leave at the end of their contracts but definitely intend to try and keep the core the same. We had such a good season it would seem silly to make drastic changes.

2029/30   Premiership              7th         Qtr Final	2nd Qual     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  N/A                       McDaid (12)            Russell (15)                  McDaid (7.14)   	   1000 (374)
2030/31   Premiership              3rd         Qtr Final	N/A     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  EL Qualification          Lynch (34)             Lynch (15)                    McQuillan (7.48)   	   1000 (449)

On the bright side in Scotland, our derbies with Edinburgh City have gone well with 2 wins and a draw in 3 games.

The rest, not as much. In 8th of 10 at the end of the winter transfer window, basically a three way dogfight at the bottom. I chose poorly with the striker I brought in, he has only managed one goal. So I brought in my second choice during the break and he debuted with a brace versus EC. 3 wins in our last 6, may have finally figured out a decent tactic that fits my players.

Civil Service Strollers 2024-2025

Well, we lost our dogfight, ended up bottom of the table again, but only because we lost our last game.

League Table

Not bad, goal difference really killed us. Played much better defense using the 4-4-1-1, but the offense fell off the cliff. Brought in 2 strikers on loan, they combined for 4 goals in 19 games and a lot of missed chances. Our lack of scoring wasn't for lack of chances either, we were near the bottom, but not at the bottom. 

We actually started really well with 3 wins in the first 4 league games. Then we went on one of our patented losing streaks, going 13 league games without a win. We even threw in a Scottish Cup lost to a lower level side and a humiliating home loss to Edinburgh University. 

On the bright side, we totally crushed the Edinburgh derby with Edinburgh City. 3 wins and a draw in 4 games. 

The board finally got frustrated with me and gave me an ultimatum to score 6 points in 5 games. We crushed that with 10, including a win over league winners Queen's Park, as I think I finally started figuring some things out. We finished with 4 wins and 2 draws in our last 9 as we also dealt with some significant injuries to our playmakers. That drew us with Cove Rangers in the regulation playoff. Yeah, we crushed them 7-0 in the first game at home, then coasted through a 1-2 meaningless loss that saw some sendoffs and debuts.

Cups

Very nice performance in the Betfred Group, beating 2 League 1 sides and finishing 3rd of 5 in our group. Fell hard in the first round of the IRN-Bru 0-3 at Hibernian U20, then suffered a poor 0-1 loss at Lowland side East Kilbride.

Key Players

AMC Declan Stevenson was our Player of the Year, our Young Player of the Year and my favorite player on the team. Just wreaked havoc from the hole, leading the team with 9 goals while adding 4 assists and leading the team with 20 chances created. I signed him on a free last season from St. Mirren and he's been a mainstay in the midfield since.

MR Frank Caddis was a major force on the right side on loan from St. Mirren. Chipped in goals and assists, would have had even more assists if my strikers could finish anything.

DC Ross McGeachie was a big part of our improved defense. Signed on a free last year, I'm looking forward to him leading our defense next season. Shouldn't be as good as the younger, more physical Owen Hunter but has totally outplayed him.

GK Stevie Macleod was a winter transfer signee as my former goalkeeper and vice captain signed on with Oldham in England, pissing off my captain. Signed Macleod as part of my promise to strengthen the team and I think he'll be a huge benefit next season. He was unhappy with the lack of chances at Hamilton in the Premier League, despite 5 appearances there this season. Gave us 3 shutouts in 11 appearances and really doesn't cost us much at all (although he is my second highest paid player).

Finances

Ownership has thrown a lot of money at the team so we're currently just below red currently. No issues here, my tight control of the budget (mainly because no one expensive wants to sign) is the main reason I haven't been thrown out.

Looking Ahead

I'm finally pretty confident we're on the right path. I have a defense in place I'm happy with, a decent midfield and a tactic that seems to be working. If I can just find someone to put the damn ball in the net I think we can finish midtable. My big offseason issue is going to be with MC Darren Nicholson. I promised him we'd finish top half, that obviously didn't happen. Also promised him I'd sell him if I got a reasonable bid. Don't really foresee that coming, a late knee injury isn't helping that possibility either. And, frankly, he doesn't fit what I want at this point so I'm hoping to get rid of him somehow, peacefully.

Image result for calcio como logo

Como

Season 2018 - 2019  -  Serie C

End of Season Review

Serie C/A  -  Final Position:  6th

Serie C Play-offs:  Winners

Transfers 1       Transfers 2

Squad 1      Squad 2

Como Team of the Year:  Team

Finances:

Key Players:

GK: Mirco Miori  -  On loan goalkeeper from Atalanta was a beast in the goal.  Key performer in our unlikely promotion

AMR: Cristiano Lombardi  -  Joined on loan from Lazio in January, he weighed in with some important goals and assists

ST:  Antonino La Gumina  -  Another to join on loan in January, this time from Palermo, he was great and added a cutting edge upfront that we had been lacking

So all in all a season which completely exceeded all expecations and hopes i had at the start of the challenge.  We were mid-table until the turn of the year but a few key signings and an 18-match unbeaten run saw us reach the Serie C play-off final which we managed to win, sealing an unlikely promotion to Serie B.  As a result i was named Manager of the Year, something which was also a shock given Pro Vercellis' dominance of the league.

So onto next season we go and the daunting prospect of Serie B where we'll meet 'giants' Bari, Brescia and Parma amongst others.  Target will simply be survival.

Looks like Scotland is a pretty rough place to start seeing as you're still struggling to make progress @Tecmo. I hope things start to improve for you soon.

Incredible start there, @rlipscombe! Going up so early might well make Serie B that much more difficult though.

I've just finished the 2031/32 Season and I'll look to get a report up soon. I've got a busy week, though, so if it's not up tonight it will probably have to wait until the weekend.

DFC_Logo-93x128.jpg
Hugo De Luca - Dollingstown FC -  Northern Ireland - End of Season Fourteen (2031/32)

As is usual here in Northern Ireland, we started our European campaign right in the middle of pre-season. It certainly makes getting friendlies and testimonials in very difficult but, despite this, we managed to comfortably take down two professional teams in Europa FC (Gibraltar) and CSKA Sofia (Bulgaria). The third qualifying round saw us take on our first proper "big name" opposition - Spartak Moscow. Unfortunately, a 2-0 loss at their place was followed by a disappointing loss 3-1 at home, and our adventure was over for another year. It was pretty helpful financially, bringing in nearly £400k in prize money, but despite only spending about 60% of my wage budget and making no cash transfers that money slowly trickled away throughout the season to end as just about break-even. At the moment I have no clue how to earn the money we need to be able to turn professional without either sneaking into the Europa League group stage or significantly higher average attendances.

The league didn't start all that well for us, possibly due to our European hangover, but 3 losses in our first 6 games certainly didn't look good for cementing our position toward the business end off the table. Fortunately we were able to steady things, but our ultimate points haul was 3 less than last season and as a result, we were never really in the hunt for anything better than 3rd. It was probably fortunate that everyone from 4th downwards kept trading results against each other, otherwise I'd have been worried that we might not even make third. An FA Cup final between Cliftonville and Glentoran meant we were at least guaranteed Europa League qualification without having to play the playoff.

Johnny Lynch (32 goals in 32 starts in the league) and Wayne McQuillan (7.86 Average rating from 38 total starts, joining us permanently in the summer) were once again instrumental to our performances, as well as John Hanna (32 goals, 21 assists in 46 starts) making sure I have to consider him to be more than just a hot prospect for our future. Lynch was the only new inductee into our Best Eleven.

We certainly have a strong foundation for pushing Cliftonville at the top, but mostly I'd like to improve the back line - the only defensive position I'm truly happy with is my left-back. The challenge will be bringing in quality while still maintaining my really tight leash on the wages. I might be looking for a couple of loanees to fill in at no cost if I can find someone willing to join us. I'm not expecting us to push for the Europa League groups just yet,  as I think we'll still be unseeded when we get to the third qualifying round,  but if I can pick up a few more good scalps and big crowds on the way then I'll be happy enough with that.

2029/30   Premiership              7th         Qtr Final	2nd Qual     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  N/A                       McDaid (12)            Russell (15)                  McDaid (7.14)   	   1000 (374)
2030/31   Premiership              3rd         Qtr Final	N/A     	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  EL Qualification          Lynch (34)             Lynch (15)                    McQuillan (7.48)   	   1000 (449)
2031/32   Premiership              3rd         Qtr Final	3rd Qual    	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  EL Qualification          Lynch (35)             Hanna (21)                    McQuillan (7.86)   	   1000 (453)

@Biscotti Nah, I'm just pretty bad at this I think. Scotland is actually quite forgiving without any automatic relegation. We're finally making progress, sitting in 2nd with 1st still within reach about 2/3 of the way in. You're doing great in NI, that last step to the top is the hardest.

@rlipscombe Hell of a first season, hopefully you can survive next year.

@Tecmo - thanks.  I feel a bit mixed on it if i am honest.  Obviously i would never turn down the opportunity of promotion especially from a league that historically has been a little tricky to get out of, but i am a little concerned about whether we are up to the challenge of Serie B.  we shall see how pre-season goes in terms of recruitment etc.

Civil Service Strollers 2025-2026

Breakthrough! Not quite enough to gain promotion unfortunately though.

League Table

We got off to a tremendous start, winning 7 of our first 9 games. Then we became drawing machines. Extremely hard to beat, we only lost 6 games all year in the league. But we drew an incredible 16 games. Still, we comfortably finished 2nd in the league. Defense led the way, only allowing 33 goals with 17 clean sheets. We probably underperformed on offense as well as we finished 6th in goals, but 2nd in chances created. And we remained undefeated against Edinburgh City even with them winning the league fairly easily with 2 wins and 2 draws this season.

Unfortunately, we flopped a bit in the playoffs. We drew the first leg of the semifinal on the road at Montrose 3-3, blowing a 2 goal lead in the second half. Then we utterly flopped with a 0-2 loss at home.

Cups

We had a nice Betfred Cup Group appearance, beating 2 Championship sides in regulation to finish 3rd in the group. In the IRN-BRU Cup, we lost our first round match at Motherwell U20s 1-2 in a tight affair. And we flopped pretty hard in the Scottish Cup, falling to our drawing tendencies with a pair of draws to Lowland side Huntly before falling to them on penalty kicks.

Squad

Going to look at the different groups in my squad rather than just the key players this time as the team is finally getting interesting. We're running a 4-4-1-1 asymmetrical  lineup roughly inspired by Arsenal's Invincibles but with concessions to the abilities of my squad. The result so far has ended up a bit more possessive and defensive.

Attackers - Technically a midfielder, playing at MR, but George Johnson  was our player of the year as well as the League 2 player of the year. Played him as w wide midfielder on attack, he wrecked havoc on defenses with his physicality. 13 goals, 11 assists and 43 chances created. It was actually his second season with us, I brought him in on a free last season from Raith but never gave him a chance with the senior team, loaning him out even. But he's arguably our star now. Declan Stevenson got most of the starts at AMC with somewhat mixed results. Started great but then struggled to produce for us. Still very young, only 20. Our issues continued at striker. We found a monster to bring in on loan from St. Mirren in Jimmy McKinlay. 6'5" and strong, he did decently for us, scoring 7 goals in 17 games before tearing up a knee to finish his season. Luckily this happened just before the winter transfer deadline so I was able to bring in a replacement in his St. Mirren teammate Liam Walsh. Not as big but  he was able to bully opposing defenses pretty well scoring 8 goals for us. Our captain, Jordan Macrae, also chipped in 8 goals in a backup role after a clause in his contract unexpectedly kept him around another season.

Midfield - Darren Nicholson was our primary playmaker in the midfield. He wanted to move on to a bigger club but kept getting injured during the transfer windows. Eoghan McCawl and Jim Macleod will be my primary central midfielders moving into next season most likely. Both are very solid although poor Macleod has never gotten the respect from me that he deserves. Two seasons ago I started with the idea of making him a wingback, then a fullback, then last season I let him be a backup for a long while before finally letting him provide some steel in the middle of the pitch. On the left flank, Ally Candlish is hugely important. He created the second most chances on the team and scored a few goals on his own. He will likely become our primary playmaker next season.

Defense - Owen Hunter is our most physically imposing centerback and last season, finally became our best one. He then broke his leg in December and will be out until sometime toward the beginning of next season. Luckily, one of my new signings, Irishman Josh Mooney, really stepped into that void. And I brought in a new centerback on loan to replace Hunter, Brian Hutton from Ross County. He did a great job for us. I also had a loanee from Ross County at right back in Ross Nairn. Did a beautiful job for us and will mostly likely be back for us next season on loan again. On the left side I had a pair of older vets that I am very much looking forward to replacing.

GoalkeepingSteve Macleod set a new League 2 record with 17 shutouts. The defense in front of him was much improved but he is awesome and I'm very happy to have him signed up again for next season.

Recruitment - Fairly excited about Tom Curnyn, he just may be able to develop into a backup for Johnson at some point.

Finances - No worries there, board keeps infusing cash.

Looking ahead

Our goal next season has to be promotion. We were fairly unlucky to not achieve it this season. If we can find a striker to lead our attack we should be doing well. The most important player we're losing is Darren Nicholson and I think my team my function better without having to accommodate him.

• 2 weeks later...

Lyn

2026 Season Review

League - Table - starting to dominate now - we actually lifted the title a few games early with only a single defeat suffered, and only lost two more games after I rotated near the end.

Cup - Fixtures - Brann took us into added time in the final but we lifted the cup for the 3rd season in a row.

Europa League (2025/26) - Fixtures - we managed to overcome Wolfsburg in the 1st knockout round, but Marseille were too much for us in the 2nd.

Champions League (2026/27) - Fixtures |Table - well well well! After a great performance getting into the group stages, we were drawn with Arsenal, Barcelona, and Galatasary.  A tough group.  We then went and walloped the latter away 4-0, although a 2-1 home loss to Arsenal brought us down to Earth.  However we somehow got a point in the Nou Camp and then (my best result in this game), beat Barcelona 2-0 at home.  We then followed up with a 5-0 mauling of the Turkish side at home to qualify for the knockouts.  Arsenal beat us 5-1 at the Emirates but to no end.  We now face Chelsea in the last 16.

Key players:  Transfers | Squad - I sold John Gray to Man Utd for £4.5m but otherwise the usual number of free transfers.  I will finally be paying money for players at the end of the season.

Petter Steenberg YP19b - his usual consistency.  Still oddly not been capped by Norway though.

Brage Tollerud YP20D - also had another good season, still little international recognition

Ismail Saglam - continued his good work into the second season

Nikolai Ramstad YP23d - our former youth keeper had a great season, keeping a clean sheet record, being capped by Norway and getting the young player of the year award (dominated by Lyn players!)

Kenneth Torrissen - top scorer from the former Frederikstad player

Evanilson - the Brazilian left winger had an incredible season and won the player of the year award

Youth Update:

Intake - reasonable - one star player: Daniel Mitchell Evensen YP26a

Finances - thank you Champions League.  We're minted now.

2025		Norwegian Premier Division	1st		League Winners, Cup Winners, Supercup Winners, EL Knockouts
2026            Norwegian Premier Division      1st             League Winners, Cup Winners, Supercup Winners, CL Knockouts

DFC_Logo-93x128.jpg
Hugo De Luca - Dollingstown FC -  Northern Ireland - End of Season Fifteen(15!!!)(2032/33)

An easy Europa League 1st Qualifying Round draw was to be followed with an incredibly tough tie to FC Köln. Starting away at their place and it didn't go well. A 4-1 loss meant an awful lot to do in the home leg, but the away goal gave us a glimmer of hope. A very open start to the match saw us 2-1 up on the night after just 7 minutes. Unfortunately, we just couldn't ever keep the upper hand, and it ended with a 4-3 loss and we were out. Our coefficient has also taken a slight dent for next season, although this year will see us push out a  previous year that we didn't play in Europe.

The last time we lost more than 10 games in a season we finished in the bottom half of the table, so I guess we can count ourselves lucky to have still finished in 3rd place as our rivals below all kept dropping points to one another. Been a while since we got anywhere in the cups (Aside from the Mid-Ulster) as well, so it's a little difficult to not feel like we're moving backwards. Our poor European run has also meant we are noo closer to being in a financial position to go pro.

Johnny Lynch (New record for goals in a  season, new record career goalscorer) and Wayne McQuillan (Signing of the Season) are utterly indispensable at this point, but Lynch is 31 now and I'm not sure I've got a replacement lined up for him. Mark West picked up third place on the fan's player of the year vote, but it could easily have gone to a number of players. Newly inducted into our proud Best XI are John Hanna, Gary Swift , Wayne  McQuillan and Richard Scott.

I can't really write much that's new in summary. We're still not a big enough club to attract players from abroad, and we don't have the financial clout to prise the best Northern Irish talent away from the two professional clubs. I'm anticipating a few more seasons of stagnation before we can really look to take the next step.

2031/32   Premiership              3rd         Qtr Final	3rd Qual    	      Basic		     Basic		  Average	      Average		  EL Qualification          Lynch (35)             Hanna (21)                    McQuillan (7.86)   	   1000 (453)
2032/33   Premiership              3rd         5th Round	2nd Qual    	      Basic		     Basic		  Adequate	      Above average  	  EL Qualification          Lynch (43)             Lynch (18)                    Hanna (7.75)   	   1000 (449)

Civil Service Strollers 2026-2027

Finally Promotion. We did it the hard way, finishing 2nd once again, but this time successfully fighting through the playoffs to move up to League 1.

League Table

We were pretty easily the second best team, just couldn't keep up with Alloa at the top. Our defense was elite, only 27 goals allowed in 36 games and this time we scored enough to turn those draws into wins.

In the playoffs, we faced 3rd place Stenhousemuir, a team we've always struggled against. We scored 23 seconds into the first game, but the gave up two quick goals to begin the second half and we fell 1-2. In the second game we managed an early lead again but this time the defense shut them down. We weren't able to score again in regulation but a late goal in extra time off a scramble from a corner sealed our advancement. In the final we faced Airdrie and totally shut them down. a 2-0 shutout at their place followed by a 1-0 shutout at home pushed us up to League 1 finally.

Key Players

Striker Evan Evans was a huge reason for out advancement. We finally found a consistent goal scorer and he was pretty spectacular, scoring 31 goals along with 6 assists. He was on loan from Hamilton although Hearts bought him during the winter transfer window.

RW George Johnson was the League 2 player of the year for the second straight season although he probably wasn't quite as good this season. Still, 11 goals and 15 assists.

LW Ally Candlish was our primary playmaker, leading the league in key passes while providing 9 assists from the left side.

Centerbacks Josh Mooney and Brian Hutton were the backbone of our defense in front of goalkeeper Stevie Macleod, just totally shutting down the opposition.

Cups

Decent job in the Betfred Cup again, finishing 3rd in our group, highlighted by a win over League 1 side Livingston.

We did very well in the IRN-BRU, defeating both Rangers U20s and Celtic U20s before falling to Inverness CT 2-3.

And we finally won a Scottish Cup matchup, although we had to go to replays, beating Albion 4-0 after an initial 0-0 draw. Then Livingston got their revenge, edging us out 2-3 at their place.

Youth Intake

Nothing of interest this year although a few of my previous intakes got some appearances. None of them are near good enough for League 1 though.

Finances

The board loves what I'm doing on the financial side, we're 137K in the red though after losing 220K this season. Should be interesting to see if things get worse moving up.

Looking Ahead

I like our chances of surviving or maybe even doing better in League 1. My midfield 4, both centerbacks and goalkeeper are all in place. I'm hoping to bring Evans back on loan for another season, if not he'll be a large hole to fill. I need some more help up front regardless, I don't think my other guys up there can hold up. And I need to figure out my fullbacks as both of my starters were loanees that I don't anticipate returning. And depth, it wasn't great this season and will be even worse stepping up a level.

Yay League 1!

Great stuff @Tecmo good to see you are able to finally start the climb.

DFC_Logo-93x128.jpg
Hugo De Luca - Dollingstown FC -  Northern Ireland - End of Season Sixteen(2033/34)

For the first time in a few years, I have something new to report! Admittedly our Europa League run was no better, with home and away losses to IFK Göteborg knocking us out again in the Second Qualifying Round. In the league, we were still dropping a few too many points to teams lower down the table,  but crucially we managed to pick up 9 points in our 4 matches against  Glentoran and 5 points in our 4 games against Cliftonville. Cliftonville would only lose one game all season (to us) and walk the league, but despite a poor run to the end of the season we managed to sneak into second place ahead of Glentoran. I'm not about to suggest that we should now be pushing for the title next season, but if we can keep picking up points against the two professional teams like that we're certainly well on our way toward it. Better still is it looks as if we may come out of this season with a slight profit thanks to continued vigilance on the wage budget (£5.1k of the available £7.3k p/w spent this season) and also a bit of a bump in league prize money.

This season sees no new entries into our Best Eleven, but once again Johnny Lynch and Wayne McQuillan have been outstanding. At just age 21, McQuillan is now a club icon. Worth noting that I brought Joe Kelly in to play back-up as a playmaker but he actually played most of the season initially due to injury and then later on merit and was also great for us, winning signing of the season.

There's a couple of positions I'm looking at new players to bring the level of quality up a little, and I'm definitely in the market for a youngster who can fill Lynch's shoes once he starts to tail off as he's 32 now. We're looking good though, and I think it would take quite a failing on my part for us to not stay as a comfortable top 3 side.

2032/33   Premiership              3rd         5th Round	2nd Qual    	      Basic		     Basic		  Adequate	      Above average  	  EL Qualification          Lynch (43)             Lynch (18)                    Hanna (7.75)   	   1000 (449)
2033/34   Premiership              2nd         Semi Final	2nd Qual    	      Basic		     Basic		  Adequate	      Above average  	  EL Qualification          Lynch (44)             McQuillan (15)                McQuillan (7.56)   	   1000 (497)

Lyn

2027 Season Review

League - Table - third league win in a row now, we're the top reputation team in Norway

Cup - Fixtures - comfortable 4th capture in a row of the cup

Champions League (2026/27) - Fixtures - our journey ended here with expected defeat to Chelsea

Champions League (2027/28) - Fixtures | Table - after our great performance last year could we continue to do well in the competition?  We certainly could, getting through qualifying and into the groups again.  We had a pretty tricky group with Chelsea, Roma and AZ Alkmaar however some good performances (and again, defeats to Chelsea) led to a 2nd place group finish and the knockouts again, where we now face Barcelona.  Norway now also has a 2nd Champions League place!

Key players:  Transfers | Squad - actually spent money this time!

Petter Steenberg YP19b - solid again from the captain, I keep trying to get him capped by Norway but to no avail.

Brage Tollerud YP20D - he also had another good season

Bram Ten Berge - made the Dutch centreback a permanent transfer after last season's loan and he had a good solid season.

Miloljub Kokovic - Serbian centre forward banged in the goals

Kouassi N'Guessan - a £1.1m signing from ASEC, the Ivorian was a fantastic player on the right wing

Youth Update:

Intake - not quite as promising

Finances - very comfortable.  I am upgrading coaching and youth facilities

2026            Norwegian Premier Division      1st             League Winners, Cup Winners, Supercup Winners, CL Knockouts
2027		Norwegian Premier Division	1st		League Winners, Cup Winners, Supercup Winners, CL Knockouts

Hisingbacka FC - 2018 - Swedish Second Division                                                

getClubMark.asp?M=738126&L=59382&S=140

Me / Club  

League / Graph /  / Transfers / Finance  

We began the season in a bit of an up and down fashion. We won a few but then would go on to loose. It was really frustrating as I could not find a way of solving the issue. In the end things just clicked and we seemed to win a few games and we went on a run and climbed up the table. In the last game we faced second and knew that a win would get us into the promotion league stage. We got the win and moved into the playoff spots. In the play off league we lost our two games and were out and would remain in the league for a little while longer. 

No major transfers came in but a few left. I have a few more coming in the pre season so should have a slightly better team. 

Players of the Season

Fredrik Johansson - Zanjanchi - Excellent season from this young man scores goals for fun and will only improve

Babu Dumbuya - Not as quality as Fredrik but had an amazing season and will be here next year

Ramus Hegab - Pulled the strings in the middle of the park and created everything for the club throughout the season. 

Whats Next

I think one or two players will push us on a bit further in the league but I still don't think we are good enough for promotion yet. 

History

2018 - Swedish Second Division - 2nd - Lost in promotion group

Had to play two league games and a cup game away at Rosenborg with most of my first choice XI missing as 9 players were called up for Euro 2028 including both my main goalkeepers.  Also no youth players could be used instead due to the harsh registration limits in Norway (25 players only, 16 must be homegrown, no provision for U21 players) so I only had 4 subs for some of the games!

Archived