FM Has A Fantastic (Unofficial) Fanzine!

Originally posted by varun↕§☺☻♫:

Fantastic fanzine guys, keep it up. Will there be a club feature in every issue?

Yep. We're aiming to have at least one club guide in every issue. We'll try to cover a mix of clubs from around the world. If you have any suggestions for clubs you'd like to see covered, just let us know. (Or maybe you'd like to write a club review for us?

I love the skin reviews. I got steklo, black-in2 and Flex. icon14.gif

Expect more of the saem in Issue Two. Three more stonkers for you to try out.

The idea about the set-piece designer is great. Maybe SI will look at it and put it into FM09.

Agreed. It'd be a great addition to the game and something that a lot of people have been asking for. Hopefully it's already on their list of future developements.

Playmaker. I know you're involved with this but not sure how much so not sure if you can answer this.

Why hs the magazine been produced in it's current format?

I mean why is it a file that needs to be downloaded and viewed on acrobat?

For me to view it comfortably, I have to magnify it to 200%. When I do this I am only able to view half the eidth of the screen at any one time and the overall effect of the production is pretty much lost.

Would it not be possible to have the presentation done on a website that is clearer to see and easier to navigate?

Maybe it's just a question of cost and or resources so please don't take this too much as a negative.

The reason I mention this is that although I downloadec this a couple(ish) of weeks ago, (on the day it was first posted up here), I have given up after about 5-6 attempts to read it.

Sorry if this is a bit negative, and just so I finish on a positive I'll say that I absolutely loved the content ans will be downloading the next issue and struggling through it again.

Cheers icon14.gif.

Thanks for the feedback Jimbo. I've replied to your mail as well (or I will do shortly).

I'm surprised you have to go up to 200%, it displays quite nicely at 100% on my screen. I'm running at 1280 - is your resolution higher/lower/the same?

The format will probably stay the same, at least for now, but that is not to say it won't change later. It has enabled us to market the fanzine in a different way than if we were a website.

Also Chris is they guy who puts it all together once we have written the articles. He puts in a lot of work (there would be no fanzine without him) and the format is one that he is comfortable with producing (and presumably has the software for). I'm sure you will agree that struggling to read it in this format is better than nothing to read at all. I hope you agree anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

Behind the scenes we have put some work into improving the process of producing the fanzine, so we need to get a feel for how that works before we can even think about other alterations. For the moment it is a case of going with what we know works.

Thanks for the reply, (I haven't checked my mail yet).

Yeah, I don't have the best of monitors so maybe that's partly the issue, (and the fact that I like to sit back nice an comfortably rather than hunch up over the screen).

Of course I agree that anything is better than nothing, and this first effort is significantly better than nothing.

KUTGWicon_biggrin.gificon14.gif.

Jimbo, thanks for the feedback - part of the reason I chose to go for a PDF is that almost everyone can open the file. Some of the images and especially screenshots need to be visable and dropping them into another type of document would make this impossible

Also, the ability to print the fanzine and read it was key - I didn't want people to be playing the game and then having to stop playing to read articles, when the game is loading etc its great to have a hard copy to look at. So really the fanzine it designed to be read onscreen and printed to read when the computer is off. Don't know about you but I can't sit a read a whole fanzine on a screem - my eyes are killing after a few pages!!

At the moment I don't have the software or the knowhow to add this file on the web as a viewable file, something like 'the catflap' but it would be great to be able to get this done in the future. So in the future issues you may see a web version of the 'zine!

Thanks for the comments though, issue two is well on the way so more suggestionsare welcome - we need your help to make this even better!

The next issue is penciled for release the end of next week, we will keep you updated!

A good clue is how many messages you will see - the more we post the close release date is!

Thanks for the interest!

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

Can't wait for #2. The first one was wonderfully professional, entertaining and informative icon14.gificon14.gif

Thankyou. We're glad you appreciated it. Another one on it's way, including...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>More club guides

<LI>An interview the one and only Ter

<LI>Part two of 'The Wengerboys' story

<LI>Another great collection of skins reviewed

<LI>Your chance to take part in 'The Bootroom' exclusive sign-up challenge!

Plus much, much more!!

Planned release date: Friday 25th January.

Can you afford to miss it? icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by williamshankley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by betterspud:

<LI>An interview the one and only Ter

Should be rivetting icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch!! Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Cheers TownForThePrem.

We've got all the positions filled in the sign up, so should hopefully have the save game available tomorrow or saturday!

Will be interesting to see how well everyone does, hopefully there will be a good story or two to come out of it as well.

"The Bootroom is currently looking for new writers."

We are currently looking for passionate, creative, intelligent writers to join our little team. If you feel that you fit that description, then we'd love to hear from you.

Specifically, we'd very much like to find someone to cover...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>FM Stories

<LI>Tactics (Creating & Understanding)

<LI>FM Live

<LI>Alternative platforms (Handheld & Imminent XBox 360 release)

<LI>Graphics & Skinning

<LI>Any other new & original content

If you have some expertise or knowledge of any of these areas and can spare a few hours each month to share your views, then we'd love to hear from you.

Mail, on this or any subject to: fmfanzine@tiscali.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Just getting on to reading the 2nd edition. Nice to have an online fanzine, I can remember when I lived in the UK at one point there was a magazine fanzine in the shops.

Is that still going?

Archived