What do YOU do at 60 mins gone 0-0?

Just lost my last game 3-0 against Man United and fallen from the top of the Premier League (I'm Leeds, it's 2019/20 season), coming up against Stoke (4th) away from home. 0-0, 60 mins gone, my players are tired (it's January, they've had a hectic run) and I've made my 3 subs. I've got to do something to get the upper hand in this game as I'm seeing a decent amount of the ball but chances aren't coming. My formation is a 41221 with a RMD on the right so I go for a tactical change of making the right Full back a wing back attack duty, TI change to exploit the right flank and look for overlap. 

Bang. We destroy them down the right as my wingback is marauding into space and makes every goal and we win 3-0! 

Got me to thinking - what do people usually do in those situations where you need to do something? I don't like to change every single thing, as I think that just makes it worse, but I also think just going to the overload mentality hasn't done me much good either. Hopefully this tweak is something I can use more often, but I'm aware it won't work for every game! 

1 hour ago, josh.hobbs said:

Got me to thinking - what do people usually do in those situations where you need to do something? I don't like to change every single thing, as I think that just makes it worse, but I also think just going to the overload mentality hasn't done me much good either. Hopefully this tweak is something I can use more often, but I'm aware it won't work for every game! 

This is an important point.  Usually all it needs is a small tweak.  A change of role, a different TI, bringing on a different player and so on can help unlock a stubborn defence.  Whereas if you change Mentality to Overload you are changing a lot of things - your whole risk profile changes along with loads of Team Instructions.  And when that happens you could actually expose yourself to counter attacks and you end up losing.

So, you recognised an opportunity, picked the right way to exploit it and you ran out comfortable winners.  Great going :thup:.

Yep. In that particular game, I thought I needed an extra option going forwards. All subs used up, WB attack seemed the best way to do it. I realise that's not always going to be the answer, though it did make me wonder if I should make his duty 'attack' from the start as it gave us so much more thrust. 

Probably looking at the stats of the game. Where does my team fail and where does the other team fail. Trying to fix it with some little tweaks and hopefully expose there flaws and covering my own.  Against stronger opponents in a even match I only really chance players at key positions due to fitness and let the game roll on. 

4 hours ago, josh.hobbs said:

Yep. In that particular game, I thought I needed an extra option going forwards. All subs used up, WB attack seemed the best way to do it. I realise that's not always going to be the answer, though it did make me wonder if I should make his duty 'attack' from the start as it gave us so much more thrust. 

Or you can let him in Support and change it to Attack as a Plan B

20 minutes ago, bosque said:

Or you can let him in Support and change it to Attack as a Plan B

Yep that would have been my usual option. As mentioned above though, I was happy with the control of the game so didn't want a whole mentality change and all the instructions that comes with that. Making the one tweak made the difference! 

Depends on situation. I usually play 4-2-3-1 wide. If ım playing with a weaker side ı change one of the cm's to attack. If i realize they don't go up at all, i put another striker. Or change my 2 fbs to attack. Ofc you need good cb's to do that or you will most likely concede from counter.

If something isn't working tactically I'll have already changed it round way before the 60th minute. Sometimes I've changed to Overload after 5 mins if we look too pedestrian in possession!

Generally though, I am a cautious manager. As the game progresses, I tone down the aggression. Sometimes you have to take your medicine and make sure you don't lose even against weaker opponents. Many years of FM experience and late sucker punches have shown me forcing the issue is not usually a good idea!

My thinking is, if a weaker side has got to late in the game and kept me at arms length then their defensive set up and motivation on the day is spot on. If I'm going to score, it's likely going to be from a moment of magic from one of my flair players. That moment of magic could happen regardless of my mentality, but at least playing more cautiously I reduce the risk of getting sucker punched. 

And as it happens, against stubborn defences, dropping the mentality is often how to open them up. If you draw them out and give yourself more time and space, that is exactly how you break them down. 

I generally have a more aggressive tactic in reserve for such situations. For example, I might start the match with a 4-1-3-2 but morph to a 3-4-1-2. I find the 3 at the back formations to have tremendous attacking upside if I give my wide midfielders attacking instructions.

On 03/10/2017 at 20:55, AFCBeer said:

If something isn't working tactically I'll have already changed it round way before the 60th minute. Sometimes I've changed to Overload after 5 mins if we look too pedestrian in possession!

Generally though, I am a cautious manager. As the game progresses, I tone down the aggression. Sometimes you have to take your medicine and make sure you don't lose even against weaker opponents. Many years of FM experience and late sucker punches have shown me forcing the issue is not usually a good idea!

My thinking is, if a weaker side has got to late in the game and kept me at arms length then their defensive set up and motivation on the day is spot on. If I'm going to score, it's likely going to be from a moment of magic from one of my flair players. That moment of magic could happen regardless of my mentality, but at least playing more cautiously I reduce the risk of getting sucker punched. 

And as it happens, against stubborn defences, dropping the mentality is often how to open them up. If you draw them out and give yourself more time and space, that is exactly how you break them down. 

That last paragraph is excellent. Really good point about drawing opponents out. If they're defending resolutely anyway, chucking another striker on isn't necessarily going to make the difference! 

Depends on situation, in some matches (vs weaker sides I draw them out by lowering mine closing down and mine def line, waiting to hit them from successful transition or build up when they decide to chase me), in some games I use roam from position and pass into space(mostly vs sides who close me down a lot, so if they are closing me down I can exploit the space) sometimes I change attacking duty of mine WB to support to create a better chance for overload(imo support dutyes and defined playmaker ones are masters for overloads) the rarest of cases is putting a sub of MC player and using one with long shots and telling him go for it, try to be Juninho Penambrucano and shoot the hell out of them, that last one is last resort but it worked few times

Archived