Does 4312 exist in real life football?

Since 4312 seems to be a very powerful formation in fm 16 and 17 I was wondering: is this formation a typical FM-formation? I can't think of any real life team that uses this formation and I'm very curious about it.

It's not my intention to criticise the ME or anybody who uses this formation in FM, but I for myself just can't stand the idea of using this formation to great succes in FM when there is no team in real life who ever uses this formation, let alone has any succes with it.

Maybe it's just me and because of the fact that I live in the Netherlands and almost all teams play 41221 over here, but I've never seen any team play this formation in real life.

With the above in mind I was hoping to start a little discussion about the 4312: does it exist in real life? Which teams are using it? Or is this simply a popular FM formation because it is easy to get results from it?

Juventus used it a bit the last few seasons. Man Utd too at times under Van Gaal, but if you want to be really strict, that's probably more of a classic diamond, not that there's much between them.

That said, the only real difference between Van Gaal's diamond and his 3-4-1-2 was Carrick sitting about 5 yards deeper as a centre back.

10 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

10 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Juventus used it a bit the last few seasons. Man Utd too at times under Van Gaal, but if you want to be really strict, that's probably more of a classic diamond, not that there's much between them.

That said, the only real difference between Van Gaal's diamond and his 3-4-1-2 was Carrick sitting about 5 yards deeper as a centre back.

Interesting Mourinho and van Gaal both used it, gonna give those articles a read. 

2 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

the formation exists in real life but it isn't as popular as in FM since in real life teams defend much better than in FM where flooding the midfield equals possession dominance.

This is where I was a bit afraid for when thinking about this formation and using it in FM. I don't like to 'abuse' the ME with a in real life not much used formation. But I guess I may be wanting to play the game more realistically then is realistic (:idiot:)

certainly still popular in serie A. Sampdoria, Cagliari, Empoli and Chievo regularly use this formation, Torino has recently switched to 4-3-1-2 as well. Also, Allegri and Sarri have always used 4-3-1-2 as their preferred formation in the past (Cagliari, Milan, Empoli) though they're now using different formations at Juventus and Napoli (they did try to use a 4-3-1-2 there too but soon changed to get the best out of players available).

btw personally don't feel 4-3-1-2 to be that overpowered in FM, the three man midfield certainly is but the AMC not so much imo.

Historically the 4312 is a Latin American system that originated with the use of the brilliant Juan Roman Riquelme, Argentina used it in the past, it did go away for a while but then came back big in the last few years, and is now a popular variant against the 4231. And like many have suggested this system is widely used in Italy.

In Argentina it was really popular in the past (from 80s until mid 2000s), but it was a wide diamond and you needed to have an enganche. Without Riquelme, Aimar or D'Alessandro it became pointless. 

In 2014 Gallardo's River Plate won the Sudamericana with a 4-3-1-2 with Pisculichi as an enganche, but in the Libertadores he used a 4-4-2 because Piscu couldn't keep his level so high. (He was already 30)

I don't think I can explain an Argentinian 4-3-1-2. It's almost impossible to make in FM. It's like you'd have wide midfielders attacking like wingers and defending like CMs.

In the FM way, I remember the 2015 Juventus: Marchisio, Pirlo, Vidal and Pogba. 

4 hours ago, PonjaConRulos said:

I don't think I can explain an Argentinian 4-3-1-2. It's almost impossible to make in FM. It's like you'd have wide midfielders attacking like wingers and defending like CMs. 

sounds like an old 'inside right/left'

think a John Barnes kinda player, that would try to do his bit in midfield by pressuring more than tackling so generally more central due to how teams generally try to keep the ball in the middles. then when he had it you didnt know if he was gona be around the back of the defence or roam in

Archived