[FM17] A Journeyman Story: Knocking José Mourinho Off His Perch

noikeee

On 20/08/2017 at 15:17, VillaSmith said:

Are you sure Mourinho retired after that game or did he just have a heart attack at the final whistle?

Decent start to the season, although it looks like you're already screwed if it comes down to goal difference :lol:

We're planning to win a couple of games 10-0 too to even it up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rrP4SIP.png

October-November 2034

Competitions

ZgITavP.jpg

In the Ligue 1, we were rather shocked by Nantes when they inflicted us our first defeat of the season, in a poor away performance. However, that spurred us into a pretty good run - we beat Lorient and Reims pretty easily, before an absolutely huge match against PSG. Last year I had awful luck in the PSG matches, with the all-powerful Parisian side clearly far superior to us, but this time the match went like a dream, even if we let them open up a lead we'd then turn into around, and bury it in the last 2 minutes with 2 more goals to make it 4-1! A great landmark win! We were now chasing them for 1st place, and a superb 4-0 away win at Toulouse kept us in their chase, but at Dijon we let ourselves down, conceding a 90th minute equalizer to drop to a 4 points distance again.

If the Ligue 1 performance has been having its ups and downs, the Champions League run has been all ups so far! After that relatively disappointing 2-0 win over BATE in September, we kicked off into another gear by smashing Arsenal 4-0(!) in quite possibly our best performance of the season, then pretty much giving the same medicine to Anderlecht with a 4-1 away win then a 5-0 home win, where the increasingly impressive midfielder Takis Eleftherakis got a hat-trick (admitedly, 2 of the goals were penalties) and we qualified right there for the next round. Another 5-0, this time a more predictable scoreline as we were hosting BATE, finished November, as we now prepare the trip to London to face Arsenal and try to clinch 1st place in the group.

OvNxyWw.jpg

Other than a few too many silly points dropped here and there in the league, this season has been building up perfectly. Beating PSG for the first time, clearing out the Champions League group so far... I couldn't have asked for more really.

On 8/13/2017 at 14:22, noikeee said:

zmmJ8vx.jpg

Mourinho is retiring! I thought he would just keep on going until he won a thousand Premier Leagues!

DvsFcvj.jpg

Leicester still just in the screen shot! Brings a tear to my eye... !! Loving this thread by the way, it is making me want to start off a Journeyman type save on FM18, something I haven't really attempted in the past.

2 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Leicester still just in the screen shot! Brings a tear to my eye... !! Loving this thread by the way, it is making me want to start off a Journeyman type save on FM18, something I haven't really attempted in the past.

You might like this. This is the Premier League table by early December 2034:

9hkqUl2.jpg

Leicester are starting to fall back, just a couple of weeks ago they were first!!

And this is their finest attacking star... a Vietnamese international with 56 goals in 42 caps:

Nkpi7zP.jpg

And in other news, your avatar looks more like a penis than a fox. Sorry. 

giphy.gif 

16 minutes ago, noikeee said:

You might like this. This is the Premier League table by early December 2034:

9hkqUl2.jpg

Leicester are starting to fall back, just a couple of weeks ago they were first!!

And this is their finest attacking star... a Vietnamese international with 56 goals in 42 caps:

Nkpi7zP.jpg

And in other news, your avatar looks more like a penis than a fox. Sorry. 

giphy.gif 

How dare you, that was our crest in the 1980's...  

Vietnamese wonder kid... I look forward to that day! 

I have also noticed looking through lot's of your new gens, a reoccurring theme similar to my long save... no one can jump! Jumping reach more often than not seems to be below 10!

5 minutes ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

How dare you, that was our crest in the 1980's...  

Vietnamese wonder kid... I look forward to that day! 

I have also noticed looking through lot's of your new gens, a reoccurring theme similar to my long save... no one can jump! Jumping reach more often than not seems to be below 10!

I had no idea it was a real crest!

I've not really noticed much of an issue with jumping. You do still get the odd centre-back whose jumping is incomprehensibly poo, but those seem to have become much rarer than in previous FMs where they were all midgets. And there seems to be more strikers of the light-and-nimble type than big men type, but if you search for a while they do exist, the very complete striker I'm fielding upfront at the moment, Alaa Hossam, has jumping of 15.

I generally don't prioritise jumping in any position other than CB, and at striker as a secondary attribute (and maybe DM and fullbacks as a bonus), so it's probably skewing the picture as I'm specifically looking for other things in my players.

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

I had no idea it was a real crest!

I've not really noticed much of an issue with jumping. You do still get the odd centre-back whose jumping is incomprehensibly poo, but those seem to have become much rarer than in previous FMs where they were all midgets. And there seems to be more strikers of the light-and-nimble type than big men type, but if you search for a while they do exist, the very complete striker I'm fielding upfront at the moment, Alaa Hossam, has jumping of 15.

I generally don't prioritise jumping in any position other than CB, and at striker as a secondary attribute (and maybe DM and fullbacks as a bonus), so it's probably skewing the picture as I'm specifically looking for other things in my players.

Ok fair enough... I have just been looking a lot just lately because I keep conceding from crosses, not because of my centre backs, but my fb's both being short and not being able to jump!

5 hours ago, john1 said:

Nice to see you beat PSG :cool: And what a perfect timing for Zeze, to say he wants to join Arsenal a day before the match :herman:

He's a ****ing sellout. I'd bench him but my 2nd keeper is like not even half the player. :D

5 hours ago, Cardiovascular said:

Cracking read! What a final as well, I felt tense scrolling down. Imagine how a retiring Mourinho would've felt.

Like he made the right decision? :D

2 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Ok fair enough... I have just been looking a lot just lately because I keep conceding from crosses, not because of my centre backs, but my fb's both being short and not being able to jump!

If you play a much higher defensive line on overload, you won't have to worry about crosses!

m6ipYZw.jpg?1

GswKz5y.jpg

Very happy with this draw, Valencia are a good side and pretty much on the same talent level as us, but there was a serious danger we'd draw Barcelona or Real Madrid here. Of course, look at the right column with all the group winners and you'll figure out that at the moment the top sides in Europe are Man Utd/City, and the Bundesliga big 3 Bayern, Dortmund and HSV. ;) 

6 minutes ago, deltablue said:

How badly does it damage your team? 

starting superstar striker, current top scorer and best player last season (Hossam)
starting superstar AML, last season top scorer and 2nd best player (Kabiru)
starting superstar keeper (Zézé)
3 of the first 4 choices for centre-backs (Baya, Diouf, Aliyu)
backup winger (Hajji)
backup right-back (Zeriouh)

So yeah... uhh.. not good.

quGUhJb.jpg

I think this is the first time any of my players win this during my career, Alon Mish'an at some stage was close to it at HSV but didn't win it. It's all the most special given that this is a Monaco youth academy player, although recently he's been injured and losing his place in the team to Takis Eleftherakis:

4EwSpmK.jpg

Meanwhile we've featured heavily in the African awards including BBC African Footballer of the Year to Alaa Hossam and 2nd place in CAF Footballer of the Year for Dele Kabiru, and both feature in the Dream Team 11:

qyxaQPd.jpg

Interestingly there's more former players of mine here, Ahmed Abdel Aal played a few seasons for me at HSV before I sold him to Arsenal and now he's at Rennes as one of their best players; whilst Ivan Gumede after a spectacularly successful season in my final year at HSV, has moved to Real Madrid for bags of money and has been superb in Madrid as well.

2 hours ago, Koetzer said:

Good thing that it's most likely the last FM version with this issue, as IRL the African Cup was moved to summer.

Been reading an iceland career lately. Their season hit virtually every european tornament. A huge issue once icelandic national team players played in the nation

On 23/08/2017 at 18:15, Dexter_Morgan said:

That's a lot of players to lose :( hopefully your squad can deal with it (or even better they all have stinkers and get knocked out early :D 

Well... I'm not sure I can count on Egypt, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Tunisia all getting knocked out early. :D

On 23/08/2017 at 18:23, john1 said:

Bad timing to see your Africans players getting called up at critical time :(:thdn: 

This is something I need to get used to though, it's just a routine thing for a team with so many African lads.

12 hours ago, Koetzer said:

Good thing that it's most likely the last FM version with this issue, as IRL the African Cup was moved to summer.

Is this for one year only or something permanent? I'd read about it before but I thought this was a one-off?

9 hours ago, henryzz said:

Been reading an iceland career lately. Their season hit virtually every european tornament. A huge issue once icelandic national team players played in the nation

That sounds awful. :D

rrP4SIP.png

December 2034-January/early February 2035

No sale of Alaa Hossam!! I was hugely tempted by that enormous bid from Bayern, and even accepted but when I was going to confirm the deal, I got a reminder that the player would be owed 8.5M€ and his previous club Anderlecht 21.7M€... thanks but no thanks (what was the previous manager thinking when he accepted these clauses???). At the end, the only players that left were defensive midfielder Murilo Monjardim - a starter during the first half of the season - and attacking midfielder Bruno Romagnoli, both EU nationals, and both to free up slots for players I would hire.

This because I bought 4 players, 2 of them for the first team, 2 for the future:

IUM3Jkm.jpg

This Brazilian world class midfielder with an hilarious nickname (brinquedo = toy) was available for a shock 23,5M€, a bargain at first glance. There are however some serious hidden question marks about him, specially his (lack of) adaptability - will he miss Brazil and flop in Europe?

cLiohSa.jpg

A low risk move - my staff don't think he's got potential but he looks amazing for a 17 year old. For 170K€ it seems a great deal.

dcCxJgL.jpg

Nacional (the one in Cristiano Ronaldo Island) had this highly promising Ivorian left-back available with a 925K€ release clause... ha! I poached him then loaned him back to Nacional.

92AgDRl.jpg

The last thing I needed was yet another AMC and he isn't even all that extraordinary compared to his competitors for the position (even if he most definitely is good), however there's one important fact about him - he's homegrown for Monaco! Sold to Man Utd when he was a youngster, for 7M€ we brought him back.

Competitions

VlsI6cu.jpg

Our Champions League group finished with an insane, bizarre, exhilarating 4-4 draw with Arsenal. That's first place in the group guaranteed then - off to play Valencia next.

In the league, I'm afraid it's not all good news and we've been inconsistent lately. Lyon and Montpellier were both smashed, respectively, 4-0 and 7-0 in two amazing performances, but then we went to Bastia and lost, our first defeat all season. We recovered against Valenciennes only to drop points again, now away to Rennes who are emerging as serious rivals for 2nd place (they have a tycoon, although he's "scaled down funding" twice already). Things would get worse however when everyone went off to the African Cup of Nations - we suddenly lost two matches in a row, to Bordeaux and Lille, and just barely beat Caen. We're down to 3rd although with a game in hand.

In the League Cup, a win in the derby against Nice put us in the quarter-finals with Bastia, and then we were at our very best - even with all those players missing - and smashed them 7-1. This put us in a difficult semi-final against Pep Guardiola's Lyon, but, again with everyone good missing, we beat them easily 4-1 which rather surprised me. We seem good in this competition for whatever bizarre reason, and are now in the final against... PSG, of course.

In the cup, we barely scrapped past Nancy and are now off to Paris, but to meet our feeder club Paris FC not the oil-rich bastards.

PpSBse4.jpg

I'm afraid we have been badly hurt by the African Cup of Nations. We're still favourites to grab 2nd place, but PSG have now opened a large lead. Nevertheless, we continue in all competitions and have chances to grab something somewhere beyond the Ligue 1 - the Champions League group performance and the run to the League Cup final have both been highlights.

On 25/08/2017 at 23:49, john1 said:

Impressive :D Hope you don't throw it away like Celtic, almost did against Fc Astana, few days ago ;) 

Don't worry, I'm sure we can find a way to somehow throw it away.

On 26/08/2017 at 09:17, Dexter_Morgan said:

Cracking result :D That Brazilian looks mint :cool:

On paper yes but I'm unsure whether we're really playing any better with him or not, hard to tell, my most defensive minded midfielder always gets the worst ratings in the team.

Z4hWX2q.jpg

This is Man Utd post Mourinho.

.... of course, that's conveniently not mentioning that they're top of the Premier League yet again, and that MK Dons are now a Premier League side in 2035, but still. I promise I'll set Man Utd straight whenever I go manage in England (if I go manage in England).

vXc0bDr.jpg

Never remotely in doubt, doubly so after they had a man sent off. We spent all match long holding on to the ball and looking bored at the clock.

1iyyOn9.jpg

Oh hi old friends.

It speaks volumes of how ridiculously competitive these quarter-finals are, that I was hoping for either Dortmund themselves or Barcelona. So this is a good draw, BUT let's keep in mind this is the Dortmund side that fiercely fought neck-and-neck with my ridiculously strong HSV side I'd built over 9 years, and which possesses players like Olexiy Kornev who was a part of the Portugal team I took to the Olympic gold medal 7 years ago:

rS3a73r.jpg

This kind of "good draw".

Also, hi @Tajerio I see you lurking at this thread thanks to the creepy "recently browsing" feature at the bottom.

The only reason I'm mentioning this, is because every time I see your nickname I think of Tinajero and it triggers my PTSD. Post Tinajero Stress Disorder.

16 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Also, hi @Tajerio I see you lurking at this thread thanks to the creepy "recently browsing" feature at the bottom.

The only reason I'm mentioning this, is because every time I see your nickname I think of Tinajero and it triggers my PTSD. Post Tinajero Stress Disorder.

Oh haha yeah.  Not something anyone would want to be reminded of more than strictly necessary.  

rrP4SIP.png

February-March 2035

Competitions

7PoIFuX.jpg

Our bad mood in the league continued when we went to Marseille, recovered from 2 goals down to tie it, only for my former HSV striker Santiago Quiñones to complete the hat-trick for Marseille on minute 88. Sad! Thankfully ever since we've returned to far more cheerful mood. 3 wins in a row - Saint-Étienne, boom, Sochaux, blasted, Nantes, smoked. Lorient nicked a point from us on minute 78, the bastards, but at some point we reclaimed 2nd place and I think it was around the 2-1 away win in the big derby at Nice, before we whooped Reims 3-0 having scored all goals within the first quarter of an hour. We then went to Paris expecting to come back home grumpy, indeed Paris Saint Gran-Oil went 2-0 up but uncharacteristically we managed to **** on them, with 2 quick goals at the end to tie it. Toulouse and Dijon were whooped without conceding any goals, and we remain 2nd although miles off PSG and still not comfortably ahead of Rennes.

The Champions League round of 16 was a thing of beauty. Ah, Valencia, what a lovely city. So much lovelier when you go there and tank the home team 6-1 with a hat-trick of your homegrown AMC. I suppose in Spain they have now heard of Ange Pierre Bourdon. In the return our lads did a thoroughly professional job to bore the crowd to death and win 1-0 - a goal by Bourdon again - and now we've booked a trip to Dortmund.

In the Coupe de France, first Weak Paris got whooped 5-0 at home, then Guingamp felt the wrath of our other homegrown AMC as Mario Bernard decided this was the day to be all passive-aggressive and go all "if Bourdon can do it so can I, you don't know what I'm capable of", so he scored an hat-trick just to prove this petty point. Gazélec Ajaccio awaits in the quarter-finals.

98EsWTF.jpg

Overall the league is coming a wee bit short of what I wanted for this season, I surely wanted to be closer to PSG than the rest of the pack, but at least we're 2nd. Or, we're 2nd... for now? Rennes are like that annoying balls rash that just won't go away. But it's been a breeze in all other competitions, I'm very glad to be in the CL quarters, even more so with the excellent performances we've been having all season long in Europe, and we could even get a trophy right now in the beginning of April as we're in the League Cup final! Of course, that's just a crazy hypothetical, in reality PSG will obviously win *single tear rolls down my cheek*

10 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

Oh haha yeah.  Not something anyone would want to be reminded of more than strictly necessary.  

I have a recurring vivid nightmare in which the Ballon d'Or has teeth and tries to eat me, whilst a band of Mariachis play in the background, and Mourinho and Tinajero dance to it, holding hands.

8 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

2nd is a big step up for this season to be fair, next year will be your year ;) 

2nd really isn't a big step up, last year we might have finished 4th, but I had arrived mid-season when 16th, since then we claimed a ridiculous amount of ground on every single team bar PSG, and I think we even outscored PSG in points in that time period.

So I was definitely expecting to challenge PSG this season, not to have a serious fight in my hands to claim 2nd.

MYsQJL3.jpg

Gah. A missed penalty in the first leg in Germany cost us dearly. Dortmund took the p*ss in this 2nd leg, came in to defend and nothing else and didn't even make a shot on target. It was enough for them as we struggled to create major chances, neither had any good finishing in everything we did create. The CL run is over, it had been glorious but only prematurely.

10 hours ago, Lenzar said:

Seems PSG are unstoppable. Let's hope you can push on and challenge them soon!

Yeah this is looking a little harder than I expected, there's still a gulf in quality between both teams which probably explains it, but I'm not seeing many easy ways to upgrade this squad on the transfer market so will have to work for it.

rrP4SIP.png

April-May-early June 2035

Competitions

GRAcTdf.jpg

April began with a big final: Monaco-PSG in the League Cup final. Unfortunately, it went pretty horribly for us. We conceded two goals within the first 25 minutes and were completely outplayed by PSG. This wouldn't be my first trophy for the Monegasque side.

The Champions League didn't go much better, though we did put much more of a fight. We had a golden chance in Dortmund in the 20th minute but Takis Eleftherakis missed from the penalty spot, and just the next minute a familiar name Roberto Carlos Flores - familiar for scoring lots of goals in Germany against my former HSV team - scored what would be the only goal of the tie. We left Dortmund bitter that we could and should've at least gotten an away goal, but would be more bitter at the end of the 2nd leg. Despite completely outplaying a suprisingly defensive Dortmund side who failed to even shoot at goal, we again failed to score. CL run over at the quarter-finals, after all the earlier promise.

The end of the season in the league went far better. We had no real chance of catching PSG, but would benefit from a couple of bad results from Rennes to pull away for 2nd. Wins over Lyon and Nice were difficult but worth a lot, then a massive 4-0 away over Montpellier solidified our position. We did wobble losing points at home to Bastia - but were wildly unlucky - and later again drew at home to Rennes but by this stage we had mathematically clinched 2nd. With nothing to lose, I took the opportunity in some of these last few matches to throw into the pitch some very young players (I was fielding three kids aged 16).

But I've let the best for the end. We were still in the French Cup, and in the quarter-finals we struggled a bit more than expected against Ligue 2 side Gazélec Ajaccio but killed them with 2 goals in the last 2 minutes. In the semi-finals we were up against Rennes, and with our opponents fragilized by poor form in the league, we crushed them 3-0. This was supposed to set up a final against PSG, but amazingly, PSG lost in a penalty shooutout to Ligue 2 overachievers Angers! It was Angers v Monaco in the final, and our plucky opponents put a much tougher challenge than expected, but a single penalty kick goal by Takis Eleftherakis gave me my first trophy in France.

pE6gJ3y.jpg

WQjzYPQ.jpg

It's a good way to finish the season, although I'm unhappy with the League Cup final. We pull away as France's 2nd best side, get our first trophy, and even the Champions League wasn't that terrible as we were unlucky and Dortmund made the final. Things are very slowly moving forward, but they are moving forward...

rrP4SIP.png

Season review 2034/35

A slight step forward as Monaco return to the top 2 in France after a 2 year absence, win the Coupe de France which had been missing since 2016/2017 - 18 years since we had last won this competition -, do decently in the Champions League with a quarter-final although just 2 years ago this team was in the semi-finals; and return to a League Cup final after 6 years.

Somewhat solid with a 19M€ positive balance but we still rely on generous donations from the board and not really on a sustainable business.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

UY3Eniz.jpg

(extended squad including the kids I'm giving some playing time now)

5. Dele Kabiru (AML, AMR, ST) - A slightly disappointing season from what's supposed to be one of our top 2 superstars. As a pure inside forward on the left, he doesn't appear to quite perform as well as the "false" inside forwards we've been using on the right (false because they're right-footed), notably Kai Weis but also Clément Tissot who's vastly outperforming his talent. Nevertheless, 19 goals scored.

4. Alaa Hossam (ST) - I think I flat out made a mistake not selling him. The Egyptian striker remains our biggest star but sulked all season long on poor morale due to the bid from Bayern being rejected at the last minute in January - after he had wanted to leave in the Summer already before and I had refused a few bids there. Still scored 25 goals (our top scorer) plus got 10 assists, but I think there was easily another 10 goals in him had he been happy.

3. Mohamed Houssem Baya (DC) - With a superb run of form at the very end, shot up ahead of our other CBs who also had great seasons - he ultimately made a great duo with Loric Munganga in particular. A successful signing this season, from our title rivals PSG.

2. Mauro Correa (DR) - Massively overachieving. I didn't really rate him as a particularly good talent when I arrived, but for some strange reason he was superb this year, finishing the season with the squad's best ratings (7.55), and 9 assists.

1. Kai Weis (AMR, AML, ST) - A superb debut season for the club for the German attacker who I didn't really expect much from - due to his "fairly inconsistent" trait plus some good-but-not-outstanding key attributes like dribbling. However he emerged as a superb fit for the false IF role in the right wing, with a barely believable 24 goals and 24 assists. He is just so versatile that he can do everything, and takes some set pieces as well. Rightly earned a return to the Germany national team.

Hall of fame watch

We're no longer focusing on the now retired José Mourinho here! A single French Cup is not enough for me to do any serious movement. I'm some 300 points behind Willie Maley who's the 20th top manager of all-time, and have bizarrely been overtaken to 3rd place in the Portuguese nationality rankings by Carlos Martins (!!) who's been wildly successful for Sporting for a decade, and has now switched to Atlético.

Career progress table

*** CLUB ***

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Español (Uruguay)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016     Segunda Div - 4th       
2017     Segunda Div - 1st                                                                        Champions, promoted
2018     Camp. Uruguayo - 2nd (Ap. 4th, Int. finalists, Cl. 3rd)                                  Qualified for Libertadores
Nacional (Uruguay)
2019     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 4th, Int. Grps 2nd , Cl. 1st)   Libertadores 1st Pre. Rnd      Lost Champions Playoff
2020     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 2nd, Int. winners, Cl. 1st)     Libertadores winners           League+Int+Libertadores treble
Twente (Netherlands)
2020/21  Eredivisie - 13th                                                                        Joined in December
2021/22  Eredivisie - 9th        KNVB Beker semi-final
2022/23  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker 3rd round                                             Champions
2023/24  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker winners, JCS winners   CL groups, EL semi-finals      Won domestic double+Supercup
HSV (Germany)
2024/25  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal quarter final                                          Qualified for Champions League
2025/26  Bundesliga - 4th        DFB-Pokal quarter final           CL groups, EL 1st KO round     Qualified for Champions League
2026/27  Bundesliga - 1st        DFB-Pokal winners                 CL 1st KO round                Won domestic double
2027/28  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup finl. CL winners                     Champions League + Cup double
2028/29  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal 3rd rnd, Supercup finl. CL 1st KO r, USC win, CWC fin. Only won UEFA Supercup
2029/30  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal 2nd rnd, Supercup finl. CL quarter-finals
2030/31  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal semi-finals             CL finalists
2031/32  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal finalists               CL semi-finals
2032/33  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup win.  CL quarter-finals              Cup+Supercup silverware
Monaco (France)
2033/34  Ligue 1 - 4th           CpFr finalists, CpLg semi-finals  EL 2nd KO round                Joined in December
2034/35  Ligue 1 - 2nd           CpFr winners, CpLg finalists      CL quarter-finals

*** INTERNATIONAL ***

Ivory Coast U23s
2024     Olympics - finalists
Portugal U23s
2028     Olympics - winners
Costa Rica
2030     World Cup playoff - winners, qualified for World Cup
2030     World Cup - group stage
Iran
2031     Asian Cup - quarter-finals

rrP4SIP.png

June-July 2035 - Pre-season transfers

Player sales and loans:

T96C9z5.jpg
UFLgAGJ.jpg

Total: 55M€

I'm happy with this, we got a lot of money for players I didn't want. Veterans Ogenyi Aliyu (CB) and Tomás Casteglione (AMC) retired, whilst the biggest sales were of striker Alexey Kornilov (16M€), winger Mohamed Hajji (12,5M€) and defensive midfielder Murilo Monjardim (10M€). All had underperformed for me so this is fine although I made a loss on Monjardim who I'd hired just a couple of years ago. We continue to make profit with the loans of youngsters as usual.

9 new players for this season:

7lLol9B.jpg

Total: 53M€

Another serious injection of depth although again I'm unsure which of these players (if any) walk into my starting 11.

asY2Fo2.jpg

A long term signing. Ridiculously cheap at 130K€. I've already loaned him to Le Havre for more than that for the season.

NBKT4Ht.jpg

At 15,75M€ this was our 2nd most expensive signing, and possibly a bit of an unnecessary extravagance as he'll be our 2nd choice left-back (and we had a quality young LB ready to play in the first team if needed, Moustapha Coulibaly, who I loaned out again). But he's properly class and I think more than worth the price.

OiS6T8n.jpg

My favourite signing for the attack, and on a free transfer. He's said to be inconsistent but might well be the left-footed player we're missing in the wings, possibly to play as a false IF on the left. Well adapted to France as he's been playing for Dijon for the last 5 years.

uNq0NdO.jpg

We lacked any decent backup goalie, we don't anymore. Arrived on a free, too.

U7OXcmu.jpg

Quite possibly a notch below the kind of talent I want for my attacking players, but at the age of 19 he could improve and was also pretty cheap in a deal that at worst will reach 3,4M€.

C4toMxQ.jpg

After Fabián López, Tinajero, and Alfonso Martínez, I'll be managing another Mexican striker! I'm using one of my 4 non-EU slots for him and he's maybe just a tiny wee bit below the level I'd want for a starting striker, but for 10M€ I think this was a very sweet deal.

0JLtRRZ.jpg

Our most expensive signing of the transfer window (18,5M€), this is almost identical to when I went to Ukraine to buy Dmitry Tarakanov for HSV a few years ago - he was a hugely talented young CB, and became one of the best in the world. I'm expecting the exact same from this super promising lad, and it might just give Ukraine one of the world's greatest CB duos at international level.

U9t0fmW.jpg

I've been following him for a long time, and although I only get the chance to hire him now at the age of 31, I think he'll still be very useful for me. Brought in on a 1-year deal to be the alternative to Brinquedo on my CM/D (with BWM instructions) role, he could also even play next to him as CM/A. There's also a very good chance I'll renew this contract for another year as his natural fitness indicates he'll last long at the top level.

FgKHgfH.jpg

At a 5,75M€ deal that could expand to 9M€, this was really rather expensive for a player that's nowhere near the complete package yet, but he seems to have a ton of potential. Capped for Croatia at the age of 17.

The main squad for the 2035/2036 season:

z2RA9RA.jpg

As you can see I don't expect any changes to my starting 11 (although Juan Luis Herrera and Ruslan Tymyshyn are really on the brink of it), but I'm very happy with the increase in depth, specially upfront for the wings and striker position I now have some serious fire power to throw into the pitch. There is a bit of an issue here with the squad being too large (although this is including players like 17 year old Veno Tokic), let's see if this can be managed.

hh4NkWo.jpg

I want some sort of tangible improvement over last season, certainly 2nd place in the league again is the bare minimum, and the goal is to come much closer to PSG. I'm confident the upgrade in depth will help us as I no longer will need to insist too much on tired players as the calendar piles up. A better run in the CL is also an objective, it will depend on who we face but if last year we got within a missed penalty kick of the semi-finals, there is no reason why we can't reach that round this season.

On 8/27/2017 at 17:22, noikeee said:

I have a recurring vivid nightmare in which the Ballon d'Or has teeth and tries to eat me, whilst a band of Mariachis play in the background, and Mourinho and Tinajero dance to it, holding hands.

In my mind, they're playing a mariachi version of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On.

Near, far, wherever you are...

On 01/09/2017 at 22:22, john1 said:

Decent signings you have brought in :cool: Tokic, looks promising youngster and hopefully flourish.

I'm not sure about Tokic, he's nowhere near the finished article yet - but has lots of time to develop. Just sent him to Mainz on loan.

On 03/09/2017 at 07:22, Dexter_Morgan said:

You've got to be closer this year considering the some of the signings you made over the last 3 windows :cool:

Yeah hopefully, I'm kinda on a downer though, after a few results at the beginning of the league season that haven't gone well.

On 04/09/2017 at 03:44, ManUtd1 said:

In my mind, they're playing a mariachi version of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On.

Near, far, wherever you are...

I've heard worse things on random nights out around here.

Archived