[FM17] A Journeyman Story: Knocking José Mourinho Off His Perch

noikeee

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

k1VnIst.jpg

Never in doubt. :cool: Against a team I'm very familiar with and features my former HSV players Mauro Raponi (now a veteran) and Artan Stafa, we smashed them at home then scrapped by a narrow win in Germany.

2p5V9T3.jpg

An interesting draw, because I nearly took over Crystal Palace a couple of months ago, but thought better of it after noticing their squad was talented but very very old. At this stage there doesn't appear to be any easy teams available so I'll take whatever comes.

3 hours ago, john1 said:

:D I am sure you will win Europa League :p 

Unfortunately, no.

dmGADcB.jpg

I did know Palace had a good side, but wasn't quite expecting this. The 1st leg defeat had been extremely harsh as we could and should have won that, but at Selhurst Park we were nowhere near turning this tie around, Palace again getting an inflated win but they did have better chances than us this time.

Note that I conceded goals scored by 2 players I had managed before here - English striker Isaac Bryant, who I briefly managed for a wildly successful season at Twente when he was a teenager (he's now 30 and has picked up 8 goals in 29 England caps), and Portuguese midfielder/winger Mércio José who was part of my Olympics winning side back in 2028. And that's not even all - part of Palace are still Uruguayan goalie Matteo Roberto who was a teenage youth academy star for my Nacional side back then; Peruvian centre-back Juan Guadalupe who was a stalwart of my HSV defence for years and years; and Spanish midfielder Benjamín Fontanella who excelled on loan from Barcelona for a single season when I arrived at HSV. Small world, heh.

This should give you a good idea of how good Palace are - and why I ultimately didn't want to manage them, as all of these players with the exception of Mércio José are now 30/31. ;) 

rrP4SIP.png

February-March 2034

Competitions

ZKu4Yiw.jpg

Our sensational comeback mission in the league continues. Undeterred by the defeat(s) to PSG, we kicked off again with nothing less than 7 straight wins. Not even 2 injuries in succession to star forward Alaa Hossam, or a tricky match against Lyon, stopped us. The only thing that stopped us was, rather surprisingly, Angers. After a poor showing in Europe the plucky side who are in serious danger of getting relegated held us to a goalless draw. But incredibly, we are now all the way up in the mix in 6th place, not only seriously in contention for a Europa League place but maybe even a Champions League spot!

In Europe, you guys already know what happened. A big win over Leipzig got us comfortable for the trip to Germany, and although we were hardly as inspired away, we got another win. But against Palace we had a big disappointment. The first leg ended in a 1-2 defeat that was completely, utterly unrepresentative of what had happened on the pitch as we'd been superior, but in London we gifted too many good chances and Palace buried them all. It was a surprisingly inglorious exit from Europe.

In the cup, we were on an inspired day when we hosted Nantes, smashing them 4-0, which sets up a quarter-final against our rivals Nice.

gUJQlhK.jpg

The Palace defeat was poor and unexpected, but I can only be delighted with the incredible turnaround in Ligue 1 - with 6 matches to go, being just 2 points behind Rennes in 4th place we have a very serious chance of still making it to a Champions League slot, and this is now what I'm aiming at. Ridiculous, given the completely dire situation I faced when I arrived here just a little over 3 months ago. What is also ridiculous is PSG's dominance - they clinched the title in early March with 7 matches to go!

By the way, what I've been playing is a slightly modified version of @knap's 4-2-3-1 wide. By slightly I mean it's like 97% his instructions and then I tweaked some minor things, almost just to say it's mine. :lol: But I can't help but touch and fiddle and delve into the tactical side, even when working with such an incredibly effective base that can just be left alone. I can't help but try to make it even better. It's highly debatable on whether I'm achieving it, but I'm still watching the matches and still reacting here and there: for example, his base tactic is very, very narrow and in some matches against narrow formations I like to drop some of the narrowness and try to hit them down the flanks. Other times when the AI is very open and trying to win the ball very aggressively, I'll turn on "dribble less" to try to quickly reach the area through pass-and-move football. Just tiny things like that to try to get an even further extra 1%.

A particularly interesting feature is that, whilst the tactic has two IF/S on the wings, it can play rather different depending on what kind of player (preferred foot and PPMs) you put there. Put a classic winger on his preferred foot wing, and he'll play like a slightly narrower winger that also shows up on the area to finish. I prefer to have a proper IF on one wing, and this "false winger" on another - it gives us two different ways of breaking the opposition down. In some matches though, I'll specifically use 2x pure IFs, or 2x classic wingers as "IFs", depending on how the match is playing out and where the space is.

On 14/08/2017 at 10:23, knap said:

Good to see you making the tactic your own. Do you want to post your tweaks and observations in tactic thread.

Will do, but I'm not really doing anything special, just messing around and experimenting. 

rrP4SIP.png

April-May 2034

Competitions

OnLHkdH.jpg

The chase for a CL spot was easier than expected. The win over Sochaux put us up to 4th, and huge wins over both Bordeaux and Marseille - direct competitors - put us up to 3rd. We were in a direct qualification spot! However, in the derby vs Nice we were unexpectedly beaten and Bordeaux overtook us again. Beating Rennes clinched 4th place and a minimum presence in the CL playoffs at least, we went into the final match waiting for Bordeaux to slip up to still make it to 3rd, but they didn't. Still, 4th place and the Champions League playoffs is a final position I'm delighted with.

We were also still chasing the French Cup. Gazélec Ajaccio, a 2nd tier side, were unsurprisingly easy opposition in the semi-finals, and as we beat them 3-1 we booked a PSG-Monaco final. The last fixture of the season, this cup final however was a disappointment. PSG were again far too strong for us, and even if we equalised against the run of play after having conceded a very early goal, they still scored another 2 and lifted the cup.

zJnDNg7.jpg

For a first season in which I didn't have the squad to my liking yet, and I found the team in 16th place by December, I can only be delighted to still make it to a CL spot, and to have been on the cup final as well. It looks as if we already have the measure of everyone in France... bar PSG, and that's the one big challenge we need to crack in the coming years.

rrP4SIP.png

Season review 2033/34

33/34 will not be registered as one of Monaco's finest moments as a disastrous 1st half of the season conditioned things, however a major 2nd half turnaround was successful in averting lasting damage, with the club making it to Champions League football and to the French Cup final.

This looks a little concerning although we now have the upgraded stadium, we're with a negative balance of -7.8M€ and I've already spent some serious cash setting up next season.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

C8z55Bw.jpg

5. Ogenyi Aliyu (DC) - The veteran Nigerian CB (35 years old) had splendid ratings but he's getting a bit too old now, and with serious competition from Loric Munganga and Zoran Simic for the position, I don't really know who's my best pair of CBs.

4. Ange Pierre Bourdon (AMC, MC) - A weird feature of the tactic is that the AMC despite being on playmaker role seems to be more of an auxiliar 2nd scorer than someone who gets assists, and that's what happened to this Monaco youth product, now 28, who finally made it to the French national team on this form, as he grabbed 15 goals.

3. Clément Tissot (AMR, AML) - Also a Monaco youth product and also 28, Clément outperformed himself, proving a sensational assists machine with 15 of them. It's all the most impressive as he pretty much hadn't played at all this season before my arrival in December.

2. Dele Kabiru (AML, ST) - Top scorer on 30 goals, the Nigerian striker adapted himself well to a left-wing inside forward role as well as leading the striking line whenever Alaa Hossam was unavailable.

1. Alaa Hossam (ST) - Despite playing as striker and getting less goals than Dele Kabiru (22 of them, plus 11 assists) I've got good reason to pick him up as player of the year. Unlike Dele he had poor numbers before my arrival, so it's all the most impressive that in the 2nd half of the year he played as well as he did, at some stage scoring in an insane number of matches in a row. A few injuries didn't help but he was an absolute assassin when fit.

Mourinho watch

Retiring! The great José is going gardening at the age of 71! He leaves Man Utd with the 9th consecutive Premier League title, Community Shield winners, UEFA Supercup winners, FIFA Club World Cup winners, and with a good chance of winning the Champions League for the 3rd year in a row as he's in the final against Real Madrid. An insanely successful career!

Career progress table

*** CLUB ***

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Español (Uruguay)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016     Segunda Div - 4th       
2017     Segunda Div - 1st                                                                        Champions, promoted
2018     Camp. Uruguayo - 2nd (Ap. 4th, Int. finalists, Cl. 3rd)                                  Qualified for Libertadores
Nacional (Uruguay)
2019     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 4th, Int. Grps 2nd , Cl. 1st)   Libertadores 1st Pre. Rnd      Lost Champions Playoff
2020     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 2nd, Int. winners, Cl. 1st)     Libertadores winners           League+Int+Libertadores treble
Twente (Netherlands)
2020/21  Eredivisie - 13th                                                                        Joined in December
2021/22  Eredivisie - 9th        KNVB Beker semi-final
2022/23  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker 3rd round                                             Champions
2023/24  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker winners, JCS winners   CL groups, EL semi-finals      Won domestic double+Supercup
HSV (Germany)
2024/25  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal quarter final                                          Qualified for Champions League
2025/26  Bundesliga - 4th        DFB-Pokal quarter final           CL groups, EL 1st KO round     Qualified for Champions League
2026/27  Bundesliga - 1st        DFB-Pokal winners                 CL 1st KO round                Won domestic double
2027/28  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup finl. CL winners                     Champions League + Cup double
2028/29  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal 3rd rnd, Supercup finl. CL 1st KO r, USC win, CWC fin. Only won UEFA Supercup
2029/30  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal 2nd rnd, Supercup finl. CL quarter-finals
2030/31  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal semi-finals             CL finalists
2031/32  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal finalists               CL semi-finals
2032/33  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup win.  CL quarter-finals              Cup+Supercup silverware
Monaco (France)
2033/34  Ligue 1 - 4th           CpFr finalists, CpLg semi-finals  EL 2nd KO round                Joined in December

*** INTERNATIONAL ***

Ivory Coast U23s
2024     Olympics - finalists
Portugal U23s
2028     Olympics - winners
Costa Rica
2030     World Cup playoff - winners, qualified for World Cup
2030     World Cup - group stage
Iran
2031     Asian Cup - quarter-finals

20 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Told ya.

Told me what? :D

19 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Wow, sorry about HSV.

I think they just need to hire Tinajero back to properly troll me now.

12 hours ago, Fola said:

Please can you do a review of your players from your time at Nacional... from the youth intakes? If they're still playing.

This is still a really good read mate- very glad that you have continued this.

At some stage I had this huge post prepared, with a comprehensive review of all my major youth players throughout my career. But then it started feeling like a chore and I left it half-written. Maybe one of these days, but they'll start retiring soon!

Thanks man, I know it's not as interesting using a pre-made tactic but it has reignited my enjoyment of the game now!

***SPECIAL COVERAGE***

Interrupting the regular service here for the special coverage of a very special match. It's... José Mourinho's final match as a manager, ever! I feel as a thread dedicated to Mourinho, I owe him this honour. The location? Estádio da Luz in Lisbon. The opponents? Markus Feulner's Real Madrid. If Man Utd win, Mourinho retires with a 3rd consecutive Champions League trophy!!!

T1c5BPr.jpg

Real Madrid features my former Twente striker Dariusz Furlepa upfront, and my former HSV midfielder Ivan Gumede (joined this season for 71M€). Man Utd features Mr. Juan de Jesús Tinajero upfront, the legend, the man that completed a 91M€ transfer from HSV to Bayern and then a 129M€ deal from Bayern to Man Utd. Both teams line up in 4-2-3-1s.

First half

Minute 17: 1-0 for Real Madrid! It's the former HSV man Ivan Gumede! Fabrice Mandjeck's shot is parried but only as far as the South African midfielder who taps it in from a tight angle!

le4uNQG.jpg

Minute 21: 2-0 for Real Madrid! Colombian winger Wilson Angulo takes a freekick, it hits Chris Smitt in the barrier and it's deflected in!

5R4MsGL.jpg

Minute 28: 3-0 for Real! Angulo's cross finds an eager Dariusz Furlepa and the Polish striker makes it 3! Utd are crumbling!

psRPyj2.jpg

Minute 44: 3-1! Man Utd get one back! Gautier crosses and it's Tinajero who heads it in! All my 3 former players have scored in this match already!

bE8d5yF.jpg

Half time: A strange match so far. There's not been lots of chances, but lots of goals have been scored from the few openings - 4 of the 6 total shots on target have gone in. Real are looking good and Mourinho might well retire with a CL final loss.

02IiS93.jpg

Second half

Minute 46: Tinajero!! 3-2! This time the cross comes from the left, from Keith Horne, and the Mexican striker scores again, easily tapping it in!

fNLTyvp.jpg

Minute 49: 3-3!!! We're still barely past half-time!! Alan Dagna tries to head the ball back to the keeper but it comes far too short, and he's robbed by Ivan Hajrovic who's quicker to the ball and blazes it in! An insane comeback from Man Utd!

CWGkUAm.jpg

gqpA8Hx.jpg

Minute 50: 4-3, Real ahead again!!! What a classic match! Straight from kickoff Real get the ball to the right wing and it's another cross from Angulo to Furlepa!

fuB1WiT.jpg

Minute 59: 4-4! Tinajero gets the hat-trick! This is flat out insane. Schmitt plays him the through ball and he buries it, as he always does.

M6rQ1Tn.jpg

Minute 65: 4-5!! I'm getting tired of taking screenshots by now! It's Schmitt's time to put Man Utd in front for the first time, as the German midfielder's shot gets deflected in!

uF3PsLq.jpg

Minute 67! Penalty for Real Madrid!! What else will happen here! Boussouar was adjudged to have fouled Furlepa in the area.

Substitute Nyoman Rahman prepares to take the kick...

GMvtp1A.jpg

And scores!! 5-5!! Best Champions League final ever?

6BqWnsT.jpg

Minute 78: Tinajero!!!!! 5-6!! The scenes as the Mexican striker gets his poker! Ricardo's throughball has no problems feeding Tinajero who gets his 4th goal of the night!

27ukFbC.jpg

Minute 87: 6-6!!! You thought the match was over and Utd were champions? We're still not done here. This time it's Furlepa who crosses, and 33 years old Dutch striker Nyoman Rahman controls the ball in spectacular fashion to then score his 2nd of the night.

a8kmqxF.jpg

End of 90 minutes: I'm regretting the idea to cover this match in detail. The sheer amount of action, man. 12 goals and we still don't know if Mourinho retires as European champion...

dHNVoqQ.jpg

First half of extra time

Minute 103: Red card for Argentinian fullback Alan Dagna! Real are down to 10! He'd already seen a yellow and makes a silly harsh tackle on midfield over Tinajero!

T1tJX71.jpg

Half-time extra time: Utd now have the man advantage, can they use it in the remaining 15 minutes with tired legs?

Second half of extra time

Minute 106: They can!! 7-6 for Man Utd!! Hajrovic crosses to Tinajero on the first post but the Mexican striker is patient and waits to cross it again, now to the far past where Keith Horne is completely unmarked and scores!

e8zIP05.jpg

Minute 111: Now it's 10 against 10!! Man Utd's midfielder Ameth Pouye is injured and they've wasted all their substitutions! Still time for Real to equalize!

But they don't!! Man Utd lift the cup for an incredible 3rd year in a row!! You can see José Mourinho in the corner looking utterly unimpressed!

D96nbRZ.jpg

K3x94G7.jpg

x3XiAF5.jpg

VbyPCG0.jpg

5H7xgL6.jpg

There is no words. What he has achieved is utterly unparalleled. I have absolutely no chance of rivalling him. I never quite got to face him directly in the Premier League but will miss him as a distant rival. And what better send off than a 13 goals thriller, although knowing his characteristic style of play a 0-0 then penalties win would've been more fitting!

23 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Madness. :D

The weirdest thing is that there wasn't a ton of shots attempted or anything - essentially every single major chance for both sides went in.

22 hours ago, withnail316 said:

I have a LOT of catching up to do on this thread, but that CL final is the most ridiculous game I've ever seen.

FM. Bloody hell.

I can give you a quick TLDR of my Hamburg days:

season 1 - woah, went better than expected
season 2 - step back but we're getting there
season 3 - hooray! the Bundesliga!
season 4 - hooray! the Champions League!
season 5 - uhm, this is harder now, maybe if I switch tactics I can win again
season 6 - if I just switch tactics a little bit more I can win again
season 7 - maybe if I just switch these 3 roles, I promise, we're winning again, I can tell
season 8 - it's almost there, I just need to follow this new set of tweaks, we're so close
season 9 - I'm telling you, these new new newer tactics are so promising, we're so getting there, we're leading by midseason... loss loss loss aarrgghhhhh fghgfjgfhgjhj **** this ****

Also, José de Jesús Tinajero. The "Mexican Jesus". This Mexican superstriker I hired. Was **** for us, so I sold him to Bayern for a record fee. Scored a bazillion goals for them. Sold for Man Utd for even more record-y record fee. Won a bazillion Ballon d'Ors and Champions Leagues for them.

XjUviUS.jpg

3 hours ago, john1 said:

Wow, insane Champions League final result :eek: 

Will be interesting to see how Pep fare in Ligue 1 :D

I'm hoping both Pep and Tycoon-Marseille can help put some pressure on PSG, it's about time they're kicked out of their comfy French perch.

rrP4SIP.png

June-July 2034 - Pre-season transfers

Player sales and loans:

sXDaWVY.jpg

Total: 38M€

Predictably I took the opportunity to get rid of unwanted players, the biggest sales were of midfielder Davide Bettin and winger Mark Hagan, but I also pushed out some pretty good but too old players like wingers Mikel Alonso and Ray Griffiths. At the end this was a pretty satisfactory clearout.

8 new faces arrived:

HxDyoSQ.jpg

Total: 31M€

This is not the massive increase in quality I would've wanted, we boosted specially the midfield and the wings but more in depth than in sheer standout talent.

1RYU8Sc.jpg

Quite possibly my best signing, I'm looking for him to perhaps start on the right but be an alternative for both the left-wing and striker, I remember facing him in Germany when he played for Köln and he always was a little inconsistent but should have enough quality to be important.

JLPruEh.jpg

One of 3 freebies that can play as AMC. A versatile player, he could also be deployed on the right-wing.

GhSSTxk.jpg

The 2nd out of the 3 AMC freebies. My staff tell me he's got serious potential but I'm not entirely sure I should be wasting one of the 4 non-EU slots on this Argentinian lad - he's good but doesn't seem outstanding.

CkUHW9d.jpg

Hiring veterans is an unusual move for me but this seemed a low risk move on a 1-year contract. Once upon a time he was utterly ruthless for PSG, now he no longer has the pace but could still be very good in a central position. French 2nd nationality so doesn't count as non-EU.

eRskL25.jpg

My main regret from this transfer window was not picking up a true top class centre-back to replace the quickly aging Ogenyi Aliyu, now 35 and still a key player. I do have some hopes on this Senegalese lad who was lost playing in Croatia, but my staff don't think he's anything special. I suspect they might be wrong but we'll see.

VpnY0kv.jpg

Slightly overpriced, this Moroccan winger I picked up for 11M€ from Man Utd and doesn't really have truly outstanding talent, however I wanted a left-footed option that could play both wings.

7rqktZM.jpg

Versatile player who can play either as one of my CBs or as the ball-winning midfielder, my scouts told me he was fairly inconsistent but for 5,25M€ I'm taking the risk as I think his attributes are good enough to put a fight for the BWM position, which is currently occupied by Murilo Monjardim who is also fairly inconsistent.

vwJyjjr.jpg

Teenage Scottish keeper for the long-term future.

The main squad for the 2034/2035 season:

PiWeuH9.jpg

There's a couple of issues here, for a start I think this squad is a little too big (notice I promoted centre-back Régis Serrano and midfielder Anthony Legrand from the reserves), I suspect I will need to slash probably about 2 players by midseason; but I'm slightly disappointed that looking at my best 11 here there's only one reinforcement in Kai Weis. However the bench is now looking much stronger with lots of options for the most attacking front 4 players (+ the CM/A), much more to my liking.

2bKinf9.jpg

For this season I'm aiming at putting a close challenge to PSG, looking at what happened the 2nd half of last season none of the other French clubs seem to remotely be on our level on the points-per-match average I was scoring (although Lyon now have Guardiola and Marseille a tycoon), so I don't think it makes any sense to aim at coming any lower than 2nd. I'm not sure I can ask for the title already, again I don't think our starting 11 is that amazing yet - certainly not on par with PSG's at all - but I would like to make PSG sweat a little.

12 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

That CL final was mental as been said already :D:D Going back to you getting 4th was good going from the position you was in, good going there :thup:

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Bracken said:

Just finished reading through this entire thing, great stuff, thoroughly enjoyed it, and good luck for the season in Monaco. Hopefully you don't come up against the Mexican Jesus this time around in the CL...

Oh, we're bound to face him at some stage. In my years in HSV I think we played Man Utd some 6 or 7 times or something ridiculous like that.

3 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

That final. Easily the most epic final I've ever seen. Madness. Beautiful madness.

I'd give it a 9/10 only, the extra time was boring. :D

leRDPD6.jpg

As 3rd seeds I'm quite happy with this draw, there was this serious chance we'd be in the Man Utd/Barcelona group or in the Real/Bayern one...

We should beat Anderlecht and BATE, really. Arsenal are much tougher but not impossible neither.

rrP4SIP.png

August-September 2034

We ended up loaning for money homegrown/young players Régis Serrano, Anthony Legrand and Julien Borel, to tone down the squad to a more reasonable size, and also open up a spot for 1 signing:

eRxyPvi.jpg

This Tunisian CB was unwanted by PSG, well thanks, I very much needed someone for the position. For 12,75M€ he becomes my most expensive transfer this season, the only bad thing is he has "dreads big matches" according to my scouts but I guess I can just play him in routine league matches and bench him for the big finals.

oPHmgYz.jpg

There was one 2nd signing, this 16yo kid was still playing for Famalicão in Portugal, got a long way to go but for 50K€ I can bet on his supposedly large potential.

Competitions

UthU4QP.jpg

After some epic wins in the last few friendlies, we kicked off the Ligue 1 season with a comfortable win over Lens but that didn't really start a pattern of easy wins. Instead, we dropped points at Bordeaux with a 0-0, just about scrapped a win over Lille, tumbled past Caen as well, and then just kept on relying on late goals - minute 88 Kabiru goal got us a point against tycoon-Marseille, goals on minutes 76 and 81 got us the win over Saint-Étienne, and goals on minutes 75 and 87 (Kabiru again) got us a mere draw at home with Sochaux.

In the Champions League, we went to Belarus to kick off the group with a relatively routine 2-0 win over BATE.

oyu887H.jpg

Points-wise this isn't a bad start, but I'm a little concerned about our performances - we're not convincing at all, relying on a lot of late goals and long shots. Perhaps we're still gelling a few players and trying to overcome the unhappyness of 2 key pieces (both Loric Munganga and Alaa Hossam were pissed off I didn't let them leave for Real and Barça respectively), so this could be momentary - hopefully it is!

16 hours ago, john1 said:

Have to admit that's impressive result against Caen :eek:

They get a 10-0 and we only get a 2-1 against them...

16 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

I love that PSG has fallen in my save, makes me very happy to see them struggle.

I'm gonna be very happy the day they lose the league, that arrogant lot.

2 hours ago, Lenzar said:

I Caen-not believe that result!

:lol:

Archived