Franky's DESTROYER Tactic for FM 17 (17.2) Super High Scoring!!!

PLEASE NOTE: If you have wing backs with a high 'crossing' attribute, then my HUSTLER tactic would be the better tactic for your team.

This is basically the IWB version of my HUSTLER tactic but there's a fundamental change in the tactic dynamics so I've decided to give it it's own thread. It's called the DESTROYER tactic because yes, you've guessed it, it rains destruction upon the opposition. You have Inverted Wing Backs who push forward to make the numbers in central midfield and 5 attackers all flying through the middle. This totally overwhelms the opposition centre backs and they just can't cope with the numbers. The link up play between your two strikers is the main highlight of the tactic.

FORMATION

formation.jpgpic host

PLAYERS REQUIRED

Inverted Wing Backs – These guys will get forward to provide numbers in central midfield. This allows the two BBMs to get forward without having to worry about the space they leave behind. Decent dribbling ability is important and high stamina and work rate will also increase their effectiveness.

Training focus - dribbling or passing, whichever is less.

Centre Backs - There's a regular centre back in both DCR and DCL positions. One should be quick so he can recover in case an attacker breaks the offside trap.

PPM to set......... 1) runs with ball rarely......... 2) plays short simple passes (if passing ability is poor).

NOTE: The default setting is 'Central Defender' but you need to change that to 'Ball Playing Defender' for any centre back who is better in that role. It's okay two have two BPD's if need be.

CM – Sits in front of the back four and sweeps up a lot the opposition clearances, thus putting out fires before they start. His ability to win the ball in the middle of the park allows the the front 3 plus both BBMs and wing backs to operate in a highly attacking manner. Also offers a passing option as he's always unmarked. When it's played to him, he's on the lookout to play it forward and get the attack going again. Needs to have a reasonably high work rate as he'll be doing a lot of closing down so a hard working player with decent passing/vision like Schneiderlin would be perfect.

PPM to set......... 1) stays back at all times........ 2) tries first time shots.

Training focus - 'passing' if less than 13, otherwise 'long shots'.

NOTE: You can also use a ball winning midfielder or central midfielder if your centre mid has less than 8/10 in the green 'role suitability' circle. However, only make the switch if he's at least 2/10 better in the other role. If used as a BWM, when he picks up a booking, switch him back to the default CM role and set him to 'ease off tackles'.

Box to Box Midfielder x 2 (right and left) - They play a triple role. Firstly providing defensive cover on the flank in front of their wing back, ensuring the opposition's wide man doesn't get an easy ride. Secondly, getting forward to score and assist and thirdly, making decoy runs to take a defender out of the game, thus freeing up space for a team mate. Will work relentlessly to help the team win the ball back so a high work rate is very important. From an attacking perspective, they'll be getting into goalscoring positions so good finishing and composure will also be helpful. Decent long shot ability for your BBM on the right will net your team many bonus goals throughout the course of a season.

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) gets forward whenever possible. If long shot attribute of 13+ then 'shoots from distance' and 'shoots with power' then 'tries first time shots'.

Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

NOTE: The better long shooter of the two BBMs should be on the RIGHT as set-pieces are designed to create long shot opportunities for him. If long shooting is fairly similar then the one with the best finishing/composure on the right as he will have more goalscoring opportunities. Again, if your BBMs have less than 8/10 in the green 'role suitability' circle, you can use them as BWMs or CMs if they are at least 2/10 better in either of those roles. Just make sure to retain the 'get further forward' player instruction.

Shadow Striker – Will support the strikers and get on the end of attacking plays so needs decent finishing and composure.  Preferably, he should be quick as he'll regularly be played through on goal and his pace will allow him to get free of his marker and get a 'one on one' with the keeper. If he's not quick then make sure he makes up for the lack of pace by being creative instead so high passing and vision will then be a must.

Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

PPM to set........ 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) places shots...... 3) plays one-twos.

NOTE: If your SS has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle then you can use him as an Enganche or Attacking Midfielder (attack) if he is at least 2/10 better in either of those roles.

Deep Lying Forward – Playing a dual role of creating chances for others and scoring himself, he must be a creative striker. Creativity (passing and vision) will mean many chances created for others. He'll be sitting fairly deep and will look to play in primarily his strike partner but also the Shadow Striker. This is a key feature of the tactic so if he lacks creativity, you'll be missing out big time.

PPM to set......... 1) moves into channels....... if good passing and vision then 'tries killer balls often'.

Training focus - passing.

NOTE: If your DLF has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle for the DLF role, you can use him as a False 9 if he is at least 2/10 better in that role.

Complete Forward - The main goalscorer of the team. Aside from decent finishing, composure and 'off the ball' ability required for all strikers, must be quick as he'll be played through on goal by those behind him and his pace will allow him to get free of his marker.

Training focus - finishing, composure or 'off the ball', whichever is less.

PPM to set......... 1) likes to try to beat offside trap...... 2) moves into channels....... 3) knocks ball past opponent........ 4) places shots.

NOTE: If your CF has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle, you can use him as an Advanced Forward, Poacher, DLF or F9 (in that order of priority) if he is at least 2/10 better in any of those roles.

TACTIC USAGE

ATTACKING - default.........  ULTRA DEFENSIVE - remove 'get further forward' player instruction from inverted wing backs and set team mentality to contain.

Start each game on ATTACKING. You then switch to ULTRA DEFENSIVE to close out games with lots of time wasting from any point in the second half. ULTRA DEFENSIVE is very effective at breezing through the second half without much incident so use it frequently if you're not concerned about scoring more goals and just want to see the game out.

NOTE: When changing back from ULTRA DEFENSIVE to ATTACKING (because opponents have scored and now you need to score), you'll be switching team mentality from 'contain' to 'attacking' and for some reason, tempo will automatically be set to 'normal'. You'll need to manually set it to 'much lower' as that's the default tactic setting...... do NOT leave it on 'normal'. You'll also need to manually add the 'get further forward' PI to both IWBs.

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS (2 options)

There are 2 options here and as with the tactic usage formula, hard to say which works best. Option 2 probably works best when playing against superior opponents. Personally, I use option 1 myself.

Option 1: Simply leave opposition instructions to the assistant manager.

Option 2: Use the assistant manager's opposition instructions and supplement them with the following...........

All strikers........... closing down - always

Wide players (WBR/WBL, MR/ML, AMR/AML)............ show onto foot - weaker foot

Make sure to monitor the opponent's formation so if they change, you can maintain the above OIs.

TEAM TALKS

I let the assistant manager deal with team talks as I'm playing the Touch version of the game where you can't do team talks yourself. Just make sure to have a decent assistant manager who has high attributes for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability and Motivating. Obviously, if you know what you're doing then would be better to do team talks yourself.

FURTHER INFORMATION/ADVICE

Both CB's must NOT be on corner taking duty as they will be your main scorers from attacking corners, plus inswinging corners are preferable. Also preferable but not essential is that the DLF and BBM (right) should not be on corner taking duty.

As soon as a player picks up a booking, manually set him to 'ease off tackles' in order to avoid a second yellow. Front 3 are set to this by default.

Do not buy any midfielders or inverted wing backs with a poor work rate as they're not compatible with the demands of this tactic. The absolute minimum in the top division should be 13, although you're really pushing it even with that.

For your best free-kick takers, set their PPM to 'tries long range free kicks' as the default setting is to float the ball into the box, even when there's a clear scoring opportunity with a direct shot. Once this PPM is acquired, they won't waste such opportunities.

Every player that has less than 13 for long shots should be trained to 'refrain from taking long shots'. For the strikers and AMC, this is a priority as they're most prone to wasting good passing opportunities by taking ridiculous shots from distance....... this PPM will help to minimize that.

Any player with a 'passing' and 'vision' combined total of 28+ in the top division, set his PPM to 'tries killer balls often' and 'tries long range passes'. Once acquired, these guys will more often look to play the ball over the top for one of the attackers to run onto.

If you get a red card, remove one of the strikers and resit the other one directly in front of the SS. Also, lower the team mentality to 'contain' if the priority is to avoid conceding. 

This is optional but will help. If your best long shooter has 'shoots from distance' as one of his PPMs, set him to 'lurk outside area' from attacking corners so just switch him with the BBM (right) who is in that position by default.

MY GAME

Now that I've released the tactic, I've rebooted season 2 with Man United and am using DESTROYER. I've actually just completed the very first fixture. Pay particular attention to the link up between the two strikers...... it's eye wateringly scary!!!........ Bear in mind both are making their debuts so still to gel into the system.

first_game_vs_Arsenal.jpgupload a gif

FINAL WORD

The tactic is pretty much complete, although your feedback could help tweak it further........ thanks as always.

Franky's DESTROYER Tactic for FM 17 (17.2) plug & play!!_36E5ACEA-2236-489B-9960-8E57EF6B108F.fmf

No PPM training for IWB´s anymore? I tried it and in the first game i had 30 shots, 11 on target and 19 long shots. Did so many long shots happen to you also or is just a coincidence?

7 minutes ago, Punt said:

No PPM training for IWB´s anymore? I tried it and in the first game i had 30 shots, 11 on target and 19 long shots. Did so many long shots happen to you also or is just a coincidence?

Your players with less than 13 for long shots, are they trained to 'refrain from taking long shots'? Also, give your players a few games to adjust to the tactic.

And no PPM for IWBs is correct.

21 minutes ago, Franky. said:

Your players with less than 13 for long shots, are they trained to 'refrain from taking long shots'? Also, give your players a few games to adjust to the tactic.

And no PPM for IWBs is correct.

After all the other required PPM´s are learned only then i tell them to learn ´refrain from taking long shots´. Will try it some more and report back.

7 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

going to give this a try on my paris fc save. my team is built around the hustler tactic so shouldnt have to change much around as far as players fitting into roles

It's actually the same as HUSTLER with the only difference being the IWBs. However, it's a better tactic in my opinion as the IWBs have been optimized by SI to perform well and they cover the central midfield area left by the BBMs when they bomb forward. The central area in the final third is flooded by 5 attackers so there's lots of options and the opposition really struggle to cope with the numbers.

22 minutes ago, Student Boy said:

does this work on 17.21 or just 17.2?

I'm playing FM Touch and that hasn't been updated from 17.2 so I'm assuming it's the same as 17.2.1

27 minutes ago, ruudvanwarren said:

If this is anything like hustler then holy mother of Mary we're in for a treat...might use this at home & hustler plus tactic usage away!

I would just stick to DESTROYER. There's no real need to use both unless you have wing backs with excellent crossing ability and want to take advantage of that..... DESTROYER is the better tactic though.

19 minutes ago, sparkysrovers said:

Do I need to play my right wing backs on the left and vice versa to make this work? Dont think I'd get 8/10 suitability from the players if thats the case. 

No. I'm playing left footers on the left and right footers on the right, although I doubt it makes much difference either way. Most important thing to look at is their suitability for the position, I think.

I am giving this a go in my Youth Challenge, was using HUSTLER previously.

It plays nicer football, but its not performing that well in the lower leagues. I will stick with it though as i am almost at the end of the season. I am trying to train some of the PPM's as well.

1 hour ago, cragswfc said:

Could you upload  ULTRA DEFENSIVE please 

You just set the team mentality to contain and remove the 'get further forward' PI from the IWBs, that's it.

5 hours ago, batty1 said:

Just out of interest who do you think would suit each role up top? (Belotti, Lautaro Martinez, Josef Martinez, Lucas Boye and Ljajic)

You have to remember what their role within the framework of the tactic is...........

DLF support is there to play through balls for the CF so needs good passing and vision.

CF is there to latch onto through balls and outpace the defence in order to get himself into a one-on-one with the keeper so needs pace and acceleration.

In order to figure out which striker is suited to which role, there's a very simple formula. Just add a couple of attributes together............ 

1........Passing+vision for DLF support (or F9 if DLF suitability is less than 8/10 and F9 is 2/10 better) so for example, DLF suitability is 7/10 and F9 suitability is 9/10.... here you play your right sided striker as an F9 instead of a DLF.

2.......Pace+acceleration for CF attack (or AF or Poacher if CF suitability is les than 8/10 and AF or Poacher is 2/10 better).

Belotti passing+vision = 21........ pace+acceleration = 29 so he'll make a much better CF than DLF. Just do the same for the others.

10 minutes ago, Franky. said:

You just set the team mentality to contain and remove the 'get further forward' PI from the IWBs, that's it.

You have to add a couple of attributes together to figure out suitability.

1........Passing+vision for DLF support (or F9 if DLF suitability is less than 8/10 and F9 is 2/10 better) so for example, DLF suitability is 7/10 and F9 suitability is 9/10.... here you play your right sided striker as an F9 instead of a DLF.

2.......Pace+acceleration for CF attack (or AF or Poacher if CF suitability is les than 8/10 and AF or Poacher is 2/10 better.

I know that but keep forgetting to put much lower when switching bat to normal version makes it easier 

9 hours ago, kevbells said:

Been using this great tactic at home but struggling to find form away against any teams any tips?

Switch team mentality to standard and add the PI 'move into channels' to your DLF. Can do this for home games as well. It makes the tactic totally plug and play, meaning you don't need to change anything at any stage other than set booked players to 'ease off tackles'....... Let us know how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Franky. said:

Switch team mentality to standard and add the PI 'move into channels' to your DLF. Can do this for home games as well. It makes the tactic totally plug and play, meaning you don't need to change anything at any stage other than set booked players to 'ease off tackles'....... Let us know how it goes. 

Franky, are those changes already updated in the newest version of the tactic uploaded in the OP?

1 hour ago, Punt said:

Franky, are those changes already updated in the newest version of the tactic uploaded in the OP?

They are, yes. It's available on FM Base. I've not uploaded it here as I have a few ideas I need to tinker with and may update it further. Thinking of going back to two DLFs with no specific attribute requirements but have to test it first.

32 minutes ago, Franky. said:

They are, yes. It's available on FM Base. I've not uploaded it here as I have a few ideas I need to tinker with and may update it further. Thinking of going back to two DLFs with no specific attribute requirements but have to test it first.

I tried it with two DLF's. It doesn't seem bad, i had one on Attack and one on Support. I think I was creating a few more chances. It may also be better because none of my players are suited to the Complete Forward role.

i started a new game with it last night. only issue is that i don't have any DLF's only TM to play along side the CF.

I'm retraining them but may as well test the tactic with a target man as they aren't a million miles apart 

12 hours ago, Franky. said:

Thanks I am using the standard version? just the defence seems to fall apart?

As a lot of people have mentioned this tactic results in a lot of long shots (at least early on) so im curious as to why you havent applied WIB or more shoot less often PI's? Not criticising an obviously very sucessful judt curious to the reasoning behind it, if any.

13 hours ago, mantorras77 said:

Whats do you mean the full version??

he means the reg version not the touch and yes, I use the full version with all of frankys tactics. I also was losing at first and was conceding goals like crazy until my team learned the tactic and got fluid, I am now currently on a 14 game unbeaten streak with the boro so things will get better as the players and the tactic gell

d5f47cda0e0541deaf92da796da54759.png

I am so far dissapointed with this tactic. Maybe it's because ghost set such a high standard for my in terms of goalscoring and solidity at the back, but this one seems like a lesser tactic. Nowhere near as high scoring, in fact both of my forwards seem less involved in attacks and don't either make the right moves, are too far in midfield (even the CF) or just plain waste chances. It's also far less solid at the back than ghost. I'm willing to compromise in conceeding goals, if in turn we score like crazy, but so far this hasn't been the case with this tactic. Hope it gets better.

(Sidenote, no one has actually done a complete domination tactic for this fm, right? High possession, high scoring, low conceding? I know it's gamebreaking, but those are fun, just to see how much you can dominate a team)

I don't know, all I know is in 23 matches I have over a 100 goals, I'm leading the league in goals scored and goals conceded. my striker is on pace to have 50 plus goals and that's not even my best striker attributes wise,  and I still have 15 league games to go plus CL games, I'm about to start first knockout round

637721a614524a22923dd07aa6491425.png  37a85c2f3ca047db90d0521373af6733.png

Franky, in Hustler OP you wrote:

˝Before the write up, I'll just say that this is the most consistent tactic I have ever created on any iteration of FM. In two seasons with Man United, played-130 won-115 drawn-13 lost-2. Won every competition in 2 seasons except for FA Cup first season, topping 100 points in the league both seasons with an overall 88% win percentage!!˝

I´m starting a long term save with my favourite club Nk Maribor from Slovenia. Which tactic do you recommend? Hustler or Destroyer or something else?

3 hours ago, Punt said:

Franky, in Hustler OP you wrote:

˝Before the write up, I'll just say that this is the most consistent tactic I have ever created on any iteration of FM. In two seasons with Man United, played-130 won-115 drawn-13 lost-2. Won every competition in 2 seasons except for FA Cup first season, topping 100 points in the league both seasons with an overall 88% win percentage!!˝

I´m starting a long term save with my favourite club Nk Maribor from Slovenia. Which tactic do you recommend? Hustler or Destroyer or something else?

I would recommend HUSTLER if you can get hold of wing backs with decent crossing/dribbling and work rate, otherwise DESTROYER. If you try HUSTLER, the tactic is fine for big teams but for smaller ones, there'll be a small update for that. Just need to test a little more. If you want to try it, just remove the 'close down less' PI from all four defenders and set TI 'closing down' from 'much more' to 'more'. This will help the team keep their shape a bit better.... Actually, do the same for DESTROYER if you use that. Let us know how it goes :)

23 hours ago, Franky. said:

I would recommend HUSTLER if you can get hold of wing backs with decent crossing/dribbling and work rate, otherwise DESTROYER. If you try HUSTLER, the tactic is fine for big teams but for smaller ones, there'll be a small update for that. Just need to test a little more. If you want to try it, just remove the 'close down less' PI from all four defenders and set TI 'closing down' from 'much more' to 'more'. This will help the team keep their shape a bit better.... Actually, do the same for DESTROYER if you use that. Let us know how it goes :)

I will probably keep using DESTROYER ( because it´s newer than HUSTLER :) ) and make the changes you suggested. My team is a big team in my league but a small team in Europe. Will report back. Any other suggestions? 

Franky, you still advise us to use ATT at home when you`re favourites and STD at home when you`re not favourites and always away despite the changes you mentioned above?

On 3/1/2017 at 13:12, Franky. said:

The changes you list here make the destroyer tactic, the ultimate destroyer! I've yet to test the tactic against stronger champions league opposition but I'm absolutely killing it in terms of goals scored and games won in the domestic league

19 hours ago, sparkysrovers said:

The changes you list here make the destroyer tactic, the ultimate destroyer! I've yet to test the tactic against stronger champions league opposition but I'm absolutely killing it in terms of goals scored and games won in the domestic league

Yeah, it's proving to be a similar story in my Wycombe save. Averaging 3.5 goals per game in the league. Even my Man United team couldn't get anywhere near that and that's with Martial and Zlatan season 1 and Dybala and Icardi season 2 as the first choice strikers. A question for you as I'm playing FM Touch and still running patch17.2.......... are you on the new 17.3 patch and have you noticed any changes in the match engine?

9 hours ago, Niall76 said:

My away record is great but my home record poor! Poole play in front of very low crowds but that shouldn't explain the great disparity, should it? Any ideas, anyone?

Personally, I've not used this tactic in the lower leagues or with a weak team yet so difficult to say why you are having that problem. Maybe someone else could help?

On 03/03/2017 at 12:49, Punt said:

Franky, you still advise us to use ATT at home when you`re favourites and STD at home when you`re not favourites and always away despite the changes you mentioned above?

Yes, the changes don't affect tactic usage..... although the tactic usage I advise is just a recommendation. I'm sure there are other ways of using the tactic that would prove as effective, if not more so. Personally, I just haven't tried other options and so only ever recommend what I have used myself with relative success...... I certainly wouldn't see it as the be all and end all.

Archived