Life Begins At 30 - An Anti-Youth Challenge (FM17)

Joe.

I turned 30 in October, and I still play computer games. There's still a part of me that thinks I will become a pro at something. I still think I have potential.

Do footballers think the same way?

I've decided to experiment somewhat, and play the game the way that it isn't supposed to be played. I will be shunning youth in favour of experience, and will only allow myself to sign players aged 30+. 

Like most people, I really enjoy the youth aspects of the game. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing the newgen you've so carefully moulded take his first steps onto the pitch, then the pride that comes along when he scores his first goal. I believe it's how the game is supposed to be played, and I enjoy that as much as anyone... However, it really overlooks the players that already exist.. Those with cups and medals, with experience and knowledge. Those who have been there and done that, those who the newgens look up to. I'm going to see how far I can go based on experience.

The Aim

To win the Champions League with a squad made up entirely of players over the age of 30.

The Rules

Players can only be signed if they are 30 years old or more.

To rid the squad of youth as soon as is realistically possible, aiming to fill the squad with 30+ year olds. 

The Team

NVDACwj - Imgur (1).jpg

I've selected Everton because they already have some decent oldies in their squad. Barry, Jagielka, Williams, Baines and Kone will form the foundations. 

A Disclaimer

I will admit, I'm not particularly good at sticking to a save file. I'm also not able to play FM half as much as I'd like to (realistically once a week), and so updates will be few and far between. The reason I'm logging my progress on here is really to keep myself interested - I might take a story approach, or I'll do simple updates on how I'm doing.. I really haven't planned that far ahead. If you happen to enjoy it, then excellent!

I'm now just going to leave this hanging here as I've no time to play until Monday!

6 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

I wonder if you could have old intakes. :D

I wish!

I've played for about half an hour and it's already going tits up as the philosophies are both 'sign young players for the first team' and 'develop players using the club's youth system' - so unless I keep youth players for 14 years before they make a debut, I can't really see how I'm going to get round this. 

Nice idea !!! My playing style is more youth oriented, but all the yth only career updates here got a bit monotonous...

I wish you all the Juan-Sebastian Veron's, Raul's and Gigi Buffon's the game can throw at you. Good luck!

P.S.: I liked your first sentence in the OP. Something similar crossed my mind lately as well. Though I'd not want to go pro, kinda would take the game out of gaming I fear...

30 is not old. I'm old. 😊

I would hate the idea of this but I can see that it would be a challenge and might help you stick with a save long-term.

Perhaps a better fit as a team might have been Chelsea, or if that seemed too easy then maybe Stoke. Even if you do reasonably well with the Toffees, the boards unhappiness with your flagrant disregard for agreed philosophies might cause you issues.

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Perhaps a better fit as a team might have been Chelsea, or if that seemed too easy then maybe Stoke. Even if you do reasonably well with the Toffees, the boards unhappiness with your flagrant disregard for agreed philosophies might cause you issues.

I did have a browse through the league. Stoke were an option, and Man City too but Everton just felt like a good fit to me.. Can't put my finger on any particular reason why.. And yes, I think my flagrant disregard for agreed philosophies will be my downfall! I tried to negotiate but they were having none of it. 

1 hour ago, Repsalty said:

A really interesting idea. I can't see it working though, you'd run out of money way too quickly. Will try and follow this though, because it's original!

I disagree that it'll be expensive - there are a bunch of 30+ year olds whose clubs let their contracts run down, and others who lose value as they age.  

On Monday my update will be a look at the squad and transfers in/out. I squeezed about 30 mins of game time in yesterday so I've already lined up a few questionable signings. Not quite sure how best to deal with the rest of the squad, though the players under 27 are at risk so I'll most likely accept any decent offers that come in.

Archived