[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

October

f4d3efb43e7c994d6a59bdf51187d09a.png

We've started well in the FA Trophy, with a 2-0 win against Crook in a replay after a 0-0 draw away from home. 

d1b955d1ba6ee031df9bbcefdeb711dc.png

We got a pretty good draw in the FA Cup as we got drawn at home to Conference North side Boston United. Despite the 2 division gap between us, we really did have a go at them and our goalkeeper, Sam McDermid, put in a top class performance to keep us in the game. It was 1-0 for most of the match and we did have the odd half chance to equalise and get a replay which would've been really nice, but unfortunately late on we tired and this allowed Boston to get another one to put the game to bed. 

b9fb52a54da4d7421815980f1231f793.png

A good month in the league, we had a slight hiccup away at Horsham, but other than that we won 4 and drew 1, which is really good going. The highlights were a thumping win against Corinthian-Casuals, as well as a late double to sink Aylesbury United. 

c9c364633ee7339e6a8f880c5016e787.png

We're top of the league :cool:

As we approach sacking season this puts me in a unique position, as I've rarely been in a position where getting a new job has actually hindered any bid for promotion. Fingers crossed if anyone does come in for me they're either a 7th tier side, or another 8th tier side that want a good go at promotion. Would be gutting to get given a job of a relegation battling side after the great form we've shown this season!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

November

62c799b88d731fb55bdbab7cb288706c.png

Unfortunately we're out of the FA Trophy after a poor loss away to Shildon. 

b96f99d8bf774b0b26ff330916938115.png

We did manage to get through in the Isthmian League Cup though, with a 1-0 win at home against Haywards Heath. 

a076d105982cc71b783719255a46fb02.png

A decent month in the league was marred by an uncharacteristic bad day at the office against AFC Hayes - I'm not sure what happened there, but it was just a terrible day that ended up being a complete write off. We at least managed to recover just 3 days later with a fantastic 4-1 away win at Horsham. 

aa8dadd0c248ee865fc4e18bd6390957.png

The dropping of some points puts us down to 2nd place, but we're still in a very health position with a tough December run-in fast approaching.

12 hours ago, noikeee said:

This seems like easily your best season yet. Hang on to those positions and it might well be promotion time.

Hopefully the fact Hythe have a higher get out clause percentage means a lot of clubs are put off me. Usually at this point in the season it would cost around £1,500 to snap me up, but due to the higher wages and 40 percent at Hythe, that figure is closer to £4,000 at the moment. 

December

9534700e5e0083f3b23bfa11bcac8851.png

A strong month saw 3 wins and 2 draws, with the highlight being an utter dismantling of Three Bridges, who collapsed under the pressure of our attack.

3c9d1bda986aa356431d944dd5b21c5a.png

We're still in a strong position, with just 1 point seperating us and leaders Faversham. 

My Profile constantly has the "Wnt" thing under my name as I'm consistently wanted/linked with jobs, but it seems either nobody can afford the pay-off or I'm nobody's first choice. At the moment I'm attracting interest from fellow 8th tier sides: Billericay, Brackley and Guernsey. I've also got 7th tier relegation battling side, Corinthian, interested in me. I'm not sure if I'd benefit from having Corinthian come in for me or not, as whilst it would be a jump up to the 7th tier, they look doomed to go down so it would be a relegation against my name, whereas if nobody comes in for me I could get a promotion to my name. 

I have tried to ask the board for a new contract to add security and put people off, but they've listed financial reasons as an excuse not to give anyone new contracts just yet, Even though I've just got my DOF to negotiate loads of new deals for playing staff :D

So bit of an interesting one here....

91522438b40ab9c09a27dac9a812658d.png

I got my first interview of the season so far, with Northern Irish Premier Division side, Institute, offering me the job. I was quite excited to get offered the interview and thought it would be cool as I've not gone out of England yet, also the Northern Irish Premier League's reputation is a considerably higher than the 8th tier of English football. However it wasn't all fun and games, as Institute were rock bottom and looked dead certs to go down to the Norther Irish 2nd tier, which has a much lower reputation than even the 9th tier of England.

Then this happened... 

887935b6629c8ac86cc8cdc1d11bfa94.png

I was quite surprised by this and didn't remember this being a feature. I was in two minds about this as the criteria of my save is to "say Yes" to any job I'm offered, but I thought technically speaking I'm actually being offered/asked to keep my job at Hythe, which is kind of a separate proposition. I was also a bit worried that if I declined the talks this would **** off the board, then I'd perhaps miss out on the Institute job and be stuffed when my Hythe contract expired when they refused to renew if we didn't go up.

I think either way since I'm being offered the chance to stay I don't see it as breaking my self-imposed rules for the save, so since I am in the run in for promotion and Institute seem certainly doomed I have said "Yes" to Hythe and to stay on until the end of the season (unless I'm offered another job :D)

January

7ee0e98980ee146dbb6ab8851dbf2b8d.png

Not the strongest of months in the league, with just 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses. The point at home to Faversham isn't the worst considering they're top, but it does more or less kiss goodbye to the title, if our dropped points almost everywhere else this month hadn't already. 

cb58d5681b36e3bf141561e2c3f35a1a.png

We're still in 2nd and in a solid position, but we need to be careful as Fisher Athletic are just 7 points behind in 6th now. 

Yeah I think as long as you attempt the interviews with the intent on getting the job then it's fine - obviously that comes down to honesty on your part considering we can't exactly moderate your game. 

Would've been nice to see where Institute took you though, reckon a quick promotion/league win if they got relegated would've made your reputation higher and from there you could've progressed easily into a better job. 

KUTGW though!

Interesting one that. Suppose he is the Yes man so in theory if a club asks you to stay you have to say yes. 

I think the right call was made, although those results were a bit of a stinker after it. Promotion still very much a possibility though. KUTGW

February

87c4618758fe193d7e99cbde301f9d25.png

This month saw us come from behind in the Isthmian League Cup to win 2-1, which means we're in the Quarter Final. In some ways it's a distraction from the league that we don't really need right now, but I will still do everything in my power to win the thing. 

5b6eb51eefbebbf4e080102ea374dd20.png

We're currently without our two main strikers in Jack Sallens and Iain Odain, so this month has not been easy. Mark Ellison who has usually been reserved for sub appearances has been starting and tbf he's done okay given the circumstances. We've even had to draft in 17 year old target man Tim Buss from the U18s who superbly grabbed a goal for himself this month. Overall it wasn't the strongest set of results, with just 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses, but it was massively important to not lose to Folkestone, so I was buzzing when we got a 82nd minute penalty to equal it up. 

bd5843a94eaa17145c19453bbad05c6a.png

With 11 games to go it is certainly not a done thing, with Bracknell and Oxford City Nomads now just 6 points behind us. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

7 hours ago, MichaelBrown said:

Yeah I think as long as you attempt the interviews with the intent on getting the job then it's fine - obviously that comes down to honesty on your part considering we can't exactly moderate your game. 

Would've been nice to see where Institute took you though, reckon a quick promotion/league win if they got relegated would've made your reputation higher and from there you could've progressed easily into a better job. 

KUTGW though!

26 minutes ago, andychar said:

Interesting one that. Suppose he is the Yes man so in theory if a club asks you to stay you have to say yes. 

I think the right call was made, although those results were a bit of a stinker after it. Promotion still very much a possibility though. KUTGW

25 minutes ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Great update!  I really hope you can get Hythe promoted - I think if you do then the decision to stay is justified.

Well after all that it seems like none of that mattered now anyway :D

80c23f5f08c9858fc0d73f2fb93f4bd4.png

I'll do a proper update when I get home from work later, but I can confirm that there was absolutely no board-room related media shenanigans that caused me to leave the club!

Edited by PaulHartman71

1 hour ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Well after all that it seems like none of that mattered now anyway :D

I'll do a proper update when I get home from work later, but I can confirm that there was absolutely no board-room related media shenanigans that caused me to leave the club!

Once again, it's getting a bigger serious situation for Adam Hart. I think Adam Hart might be fired again or Institute hired Hart or another turnabout situation.

Uhhm, I think I'd be pretty pissed off at being poached by a club at this stage of the season, with possible honours to win. I know that's the rules of the challenge, but I imagine this becoming a bit of a frustrating recurrent problem over the years...

5deab49bb32f7c25be7e107f96fbc978.png

Before I was stolen away from Hythe, we did put in some good performances, with 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss. We also went out of the Isthmian League Cup in that time. Overall, I left them in 3rd place with the Playoffs pretty much guaranteed. I wish them the best and hope they can do it. 

Career History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A
2023/24    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Sacked in November
2023/24    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S          12th         Joined in January
2024/25    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S           3rd         Left in March

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

So a move to the 7th tier...all fun and games right? Well, err...

a744dc443119ea7148dcd559625a5a9b.png

I've just taken over and we're 9 points adrift with just 6 games left ffs :D When they first offered me the interview they were 6 points off and I thought "ooh, tough ask that one" but to make up 9 points (essentially 10 when you factor in our horrendous goal difference) seems like a really big ask. 

The 6 games we have remaining are: 

Dover (H)   (14th place), Harrow (H)  (9th place), Kingstonian (A)   (1st place),  AFC Kempston (H)   (19th), Haywards Heath (A)   (24th),  Enfield Town (H)   (4th)

I mean you'd maybe look at AFC Kempston and Haywards Heath as possible wins, could maybe sneak a point or a win at home to Dover too, but other than that it really looks like slim pickings.  

This is where it gets a bit weird. I'm not actually sure what the Canvey board are expecting me to achieve here. 

ae3aca532918e8380ce928dab2311544.png

You see on one hand it would seem like they want me to avoid relegation, but it also says that they won't be judging me on the team's performance in the competition (presumably because anyone with a brain can tell they're as good as down already). 

fe1035fa8a1de2ff2ede12df72860277.png

But then this sort of implies that they might sack me if we do go down. I'm really not sure what's going to happen, other than we're most likely going to go down :D 

0001fdf7f921d4200c4a2f53c7985c22.png

Bit of a cheek that I've gone up a tier and had to take a £10 pay cut. They're also demanding less compensation for a club to take me away (30 percent rather than the 40 percent Hythe had in) so that makes it easier for clubs to poach me next season (if I'm not sacked for getting relegated). 

29 minutes ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Gosh, how does the squad compare to hythe?  Worryingly I can't see you staying up and if the squad is worse it's a downwards step really :(

There's a few individuals that are certainly a lot better than the players I had at Hythe, but overall the squad lacks depth. I'd say the first 11, apart from the Goalkeeper, is better than what I had at Hythe, but if a few of the 3/4 standout players got injured or didn't fancy staying then we'd really be nothing special in the 8th tier. 

Not sure we'll be signing too many players either...

fed8ddc9a96367c6ef7aba85aa1d621d.png

Hopefully it will be another situation where some random Takeover will occur and it will sort itself out :D

26 minutes ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Brutal!  What a disappointing step :(

Do you keep shortlists of good players who you might be able to poach when moving clubs?  Also keeping track of free agents etc?  Release ALL youth/reserves if possible to free up wages. 

I try and keep tabs on the good players I've had at previous clubs, but to be honest due to financial troubles at the clubs, I haven't signed a player in like 3 years :D 

Pretty sure the last time I managed to bring anyone in was at Swindon haha

1 hour ago, jim owen said:

Going from about to get your first promotion on you CV to getting your first relegation on your CV must be disappointing. Still it makes sense for Adam ;)

It's far from ideal and I imagine my reputation will take a hit enough to put 7th tier sides off me for a while. Tbf though I can't complain too much as this is the first time I've had a good season interfered with, whereas in previous seasons I've actually been bailed out of sticky situations by new jobs. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

1 hour ago, mrdanbartlett said:

I feel for you, 9 clubs later and only 1 division higher :(

Aren't the players on non-contracts? I.e so can be released for free?

It's a mix of part-time and non-contract. The better ones seem to be part-time so hopefully I can get a bit of money for one or two of them. 

Also I just happened upon seeing this on my Social Media page thing: 

53d2c3231cafcc8e1a97d54f4de2fe26.png

I assumed after Wenger resigned from France when they only reached the Semis of the recent Euros that he would've retired, but he's still going at 75 and may end up at Man City now ffs :D

I'm planning on doing a fairly in-depth recap of what has gone on in England/the Rest of the World at the end of next season which is the 10th year. I only have the UK leagues loaded at the moment though, as I removed a fair few of the bigger European ones early on to make the game run quicker, especially since I don't think I'll be moving abroad any time soon given the speed of progress I'm making up the leagues haha

1 hour ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I'm planning on doing a fairly in-depth recap of what has gone on in England/the Rest of the World at the end of next season which is the 10th year. I only have the UK leagues loaded at the moment though, as I removed a fair few of the bigger European ones early on to make the game run quicker, especially since I don't think I'll be moving abroad any time soon given the speed of progress I'm making up the leagues haha

Would be interested to see if Barrow have continued their great run you were telling us about earlier in the game

4 hours ago, MichaelBrown said:

What's chances of you going straight back up?

Depends on how many players want to leave and if I can get wage budget to replace them with actual players or loanees. Morale is utterly rock bottom as you can imagine as well, which won't help. I'm hopeful we can be up amongst it though. 

74b7721d2ac762ad045ef8616faece2f.png

In our final 3 games after we were down we managed just 1 point, against bottom place Haywards Heath - although I would add we had 10 men for 63 minutes of the game, so not a bad result all things considered. 

08d8ec4446ac334d1cf865330f59f17d.png

The one silver lining is that we at least managed to avoid finishing bottom.

Season 9: Canvey Island

f503ef22eb50ea3bb2b176be011c77d9.png

It was pretty much curtains for the club's time in the 7th tier when I joined, but I did my best to keep Canvey afloat. Unfortunately, we sunk. I do at least appear to have kept my job, as I was a little worried they'd be a bit weird and sack me even though they were basically down when they hired me. Thankfully, common sense appears to have prevailed.

Squad pt 1

I was only here for 6 games so it's hard to really give much analysis or depth of the squad or any individual players. Our best players by far though are our CB pairing of Josh Kaye and Christian Mbulu, who both look set to leave in the summer. Our striker, Jamie Soule, is also a lot better than his 13 goals in 51 games return would suggest - if we can keep hold of him I hope he will get at least 20 next season. 

Career History

Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A
2023/24    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Sacked in November
2023/24    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S          12th         Joined in January
2024/25    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S           3rd         Left in March
2024/25    Canvey Island        Isthmian League Premier Division        23rd         Relegated 

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

Summer Transfers

fb16653e02ead7cd324296868fe46acf.png

We actually only lost two players, Joshua Roe on a free transfer and our star striker, Jamie Soule, who left for £2.4K to join Welsh Premier League side Newtown. Despite getting a bit of money for him, once I'd renewed the contracts of our actual players, there were no funds or wage budget left to sign anyone. Our squad is not thaaaat great for this level but we do still have the two good quality CBs. The board is actually only hoping for a Mid-Table finish this year, which probably says a lot about our prospects of going straight back up :D

August

2c04cbbf8645c746ca8cdd275c8810b4.png

It's been an absolutely woeful start. Just 1 goal and 1 point in 3 games so far. The locals seem scarily disinterested too - Canvey's stadium holds 4,300 and just 108 people turned up for the opening day :D 

01561b013820dd81fdcea72a484eba45.png

We've been absolutely bottom so far and so quite fittingly - we are bottom. We look more likely to go down again than we do to go straight back up. 

e2f53e16f0f8a31552e9203ee3c07ac2.png

Just as you thought things couldn't get much worse, we lost 1-0 to County League side, Brantham, in our first and only FA Cup match of the season. We actually got in a bumper crowd of 380 fans for this one, but you have to wonder how many of the extra day trippers who turned up for this, but not the league match, will actually be coming back any time soon.

e928ecd9e513dd472c8304a317e65522.png

I've finally managed to sign a player! 20 year old defensive minded midfield player, Robert McDonald, joins on a free transfer from Horsham. He's a decent enough player with huge potential at this level - I doubt I'll be here to see that true potential reached, but it at least will help Canvey long after I'm gone.