FM17: Arsenal

llama3

2 hours ago, Liamgannon said:

I think this is the best version of FM i've ever played, what do other people think? 

This is my 1st FM after like 3 or 4 years, so I think I could say it's the best version. 

But this long term pause results in my bad run with the club. I'm in 2020 now, but manage to get only

16/17: Prem (86 pts), CL (beat Spurs on penalty shootout)

17/18: Community Shield, Super Cup, Club World Cup, FA Cup; (Prem finished 2nd 78 pts)

18/19: Community Shield; (Prem 2nd 81 pts - Man Utd was unreal, finished 1st with 102 pts)

19/20: EFL Cup; (Prem 3rd 78 pts - Spurs finished 2nd, and this is nightmare.)

I'm not sure, if I should continue this save and try to make things right, or start the new one. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gholliday87 said:

They weren't too bad in the first season on my game. Everton are shocking in the second season for me...11 games in with 3 points! Didn't they get relegated on your game @WillyBroadband

Yeah dude, first season! They came straight back after storming the Championship though. 

Thats how I got Ross Barkley so cheap, he has been 9/10 I would say. Arsenal and I are in his favoured personnel & club too, which I always (geekily) love. 

City aren't great on my save either. They have finished 5th & 3rd so far & are currently 4th near the end of my third season. They sacked Pep, then Rafa and now have Nuno Espírito Santo in charge.  

Also, Leicester were relegated in 2018. 

This screenshot is a perfect example of a funny little mistake/bug in this years game..

It says Arsenal's record number of wins is 29 but I won 30 in 2017/18 when I won the league, also a thing about record points tally of 90 but last season I got 95. Quite odd, obviously not a game changer though. 

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?? 

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 17.33.01.png

53 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

Sheesh what a stressful & annoying Champions League semi-final. I beat Porto 3-0 at The Emirates but then lost 4-1 away and only scraped through on away goals. We played terribly. 

Repeat of 2006 as facing Barca in the final. Fingers crossed. 

Good luck mate, hope you smash em - look forward to see how you get on, post a screenie of your result

30 minutes ago, Liamgannon said:

Good luck mate, hope you smash em - look forward to see how you get on, post a screenie of your result

Will do, man. Just lost the FA Cup Final to Liverpool and Reiss Nelson is kicking up a stink because I didn't play him in as many cup games as I promised, worked out I played him in over 75% of them, the wally. 

@Liamgannon mate, what a final! So chuffed & has given me a few things to think about*

My form leading up to the game was ropey, after going about 20+ games unbeaten I had a wild dip before the final. 

Wasn't sure who to plump for up top -Diego Costa, André Silva or Alvaro Morata- so went with Morata and he scores 2 & assists 1! 

Check out my screenies, man. 

*Bold statement time* I would honestly say that Thomas Lemar is the best signing & probably my favourite ever player in the game. His stats are great, he's consistent, he must have a really good professional & temperament score too as he never gets annoyed or anything and all the other players love him too. 

*Ramsey definitely off but Morata I'm torn, now, after that barn storming final game. I have Giroud coming back and extended Costa's (great squad player and also hasn't received a single yellow card in 20 games?!) contract. 

Form.png

Formation.png

Final Result.png

Thomas Lemar.png

1 hour ago, WillyBroadband said:

Sheesh what a stressful & annoying Champions League semi-final. I beat Porto 3-0 at The Emirates but then lost 4-1 away and only scraped through on away goals. We played terribly. 

Repeat of 2006 as facing Barca in the final. Fingers crossed. 

6 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

@Liamgannon mate, what a final! So chuffed & has given me a few things to think about*

My form leading up to the game was ropey, after going about 20+ games unbeaten I had a wild dip before the final. 

Wasn't sure who to plump for up top -Diego Costa, André Silva or Alvaro Morata- so went with Morata and he scores 2 & assists 1! 

Check out my screenies, man. 

*Bold statement time* I would honestly say that Thomas Lemar is the best signing & probably my favourite ever player in the game. His stats are great, he's consistent, he must have a really good professional & temperament score too as he never gets annoyed or anything and all the other players love him too. 

*Ramsey definitely off but Morata I'm torn, now, after that barn storming final game. I have Giroud coming back and extended Costa's (great squad player and also hasn't received a single yellow card in 20 games?!) contract. 

Form.png

Formation.png

Final Result.png

Thomas Lemar.png

Great result that, well done mate, you properly smashed them. 

Your tactic looks interesting with 2 x CM (a) - is it stable? 

15 minutes ago, gholliday87 said:

I shall be stepping away from the world of FM tomorrow for a few weeks...tomorrow will be the birth of my twins! So, unless I do all the night feeds and discus tactics with them, I look forward to reading everyones progress when I return!

All the best, man ?

11 hours ago, gholliday87 said:

I shall be stepping away from the world of FM tomorrow for a few weeks...tomorrow will be the birth of my twins! So, unless I do all the night feeds and discus tactics with them, I look forward to reading everyones progress when I return!

Congrats dude! 

15 hours ago, gholliday87 said:

Congrats man! 

17 hours ago, gholliday87 said:

Congrats, man!! :)

On 27.11.2016. at 11:02, Sean3h said:

Sure! I'll attach the tactic, but it's pretty simple.

GK - GK D (Cech)

DR - CWB A (Bellerin)

DCR - CD D (Mustafi)

DCL- CD D (Koscielny)

DL - FB S (Grimaldo)

MCR - CM D (Coquelin)

MCL - DLP S (Xhaka)

AMR W S (Dembele)

AMC - AP A (Ozil)

AML - IF A (Sanchez)

STC - AF A (Giroud)

I run a "Control" mentality with Fluid team shape. From an instruction point of view - Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Float Crosses, Use Offside Trap (might remove this!), Be More Expressive, Roam From Positions, Much Higher Defensive Line, Higher Tempo, Close Down Much More.

Player instructions -

GK: Distribute to FBs, Distribute Quickly

Both CBs: Pass It Shorter

DL: Get Further Forward, Cross More Often

MCR: Shoot Less Often, Pass It Shorter

MCL: Pass It Shorter

AMR: Swap with AML

AML: Swap with AMR

I'm kind of regretting looking at the tactic in depth now - I've noticed that I give up far too many clear cut chances. I've not conceded from many of them, but I need to try to figure out why I'm giving up so many!

4-2-3-1 Wide_727F31B7-9564-4C1D-8E7D-8F4A5B3A0C42.fmf

How did you playing away?

André Silva is unreal!!

After the departure of my first choice striker Dybala, who moved to PSG at the beginning of my 5th season for £104m (minimum fee release clause - I bought him in 2nd season for £80m, but after some calculation with transfer fee percentage thing, I got profit of -£1 or 2m, lol; and yeah I couldn't stand his injury saga, so I let him go), I was looking for his replacement, and I found someone who looks familiar to me, Silva. Always got good shouts from @WillyBroadband, and he was on transfer list!! Chelsea bought Silva in 2nd season for £42.5m, and transfer-listed and half-priced him at the beginning of the 5th season. So I thought, just give him a go. And I got him for £29m.

After the bad start (P5 W1 D2 L2) and no goals from Silva yet (apart from pre-season friendly, which he was a beast.), I decided to overhaul the tactic, and this is the result.

Arsenal_  Senior Fixtures-3.png

TL;DR Dybala gone to PSG, needed replacement, found Silva transfer-listed, bought him, in the 1st match where he nets home he nets it 5 times and gets rating of 10.0

18 minutes ago, BojanVu said:

How did you playing away?

I use exactly the same tactic both home and away, no tweaks.

Stats wise, in all competitions:

Away: P26 W16 D5 L5. Goals scored 62, conceded 33

Home: P30 W27 D2 L1. Goals scored 84, conceded 20

I'm much better at home, as you can see, but I'm still alright on the road. The losses away from home were to Man City (2-1), Lyon (2-1), Liverpool (2-0), Juventus (2-1) and Sevilla (5-0)

1 hour ago, disaccharide said:

André Silva is unreal!!

After the departure of my first choice striker Dybala, who moved to PSG at the beginning of my 5th season for £104m (minimum fee release clause - I bought him in 2nd season for £80m, but after some calculation with transfer fee percentage thing, I got profit of -£1 or 2m, lol; and yeah I couldn't stand his injury saga, so I let him go), I was looking for his replacement, and I found someone who looks familiar to me, Silva. Always got good shouts from @WillyBroadband, and he was on transfer list!! Chelsea bought Silva in 2nd season for £42.5m, and transfer-listed and half-priced him at the beginning of the 5th season. So I thought, just give him a go. And I got him for £29m.

After the bad start (P5 W1 D2 L2) and no goals from Silva yet (apart from pre-season friendly, which he was a beast.), I decided to overhaul the tactic, and this is the result.

TL;DR Dybala gone to PSG, needed replacement, found Silva transfer-listed, bought him, in the 1st match where he nets home he nets it 5 times and gets rating of 10.0

Ah cool man, glad he's doing well for you! I'm just starting my 4th season and have just sold Morata so Silva will go back to being first choice. 

Liking the TL;DR, too, dude, reminds me of Reddit. 

So First season out the way...and its a quadruple!

Only data updates are one that returns Theo to his FM16 CA rather than the lower FM17 one and one that cancels every team's loans.

Basically I played a slightly adapted version of my final FM16 tactic, and it proved almost as effective in FM17. The crucial difference was playing Alexis up top as a Defensive forward. Despite less impressive returns from Iwobi and Ozil and Ramsey than in FM16, it was remarkably soild. My back up tactics are a rarely used 41221 and a 433 for overpowering weak opposition.

As ever rotation rotation rotation is the key, not only to keep fitness up, but to avoid serious injuries. Thankfully I only got the odd month here and there and no serious knee injuries or anything.

What is interesting is how you can get a mediocre player to have a great impact if you get their form up. I had the emergency selection of Chuba Akpom get me a hatrick at the Etihad in the ECL off the back of a couple of confidence boosting cup games against lower league oppostion, and he followed that up with a poacher's finish against the same opposition off the bench in the FA CUP final.

For the league season my record was extraordinary. The first half of the season was canter, destroying all opposition, but the second half saw lots of 1 goal victories, with the subs bench bailing me out several times. Giroud 4 or 5 times got winners off the bench in the last 5 mins.

My one big signing was crucial for this too.

Marco Asensio joined from Real Madrid (after a little unsettling work) for £25.5m and was BRILLIANT. 25 starts and 6 sub appearances, 17 goals and 12 assists from behind the front man or on the left wing, averaging 7.61, and because of his youth doesn't even count against squad limits. Can't recommend him enough. Dead ball expert too  - 8 of those goals were direct free kicks.

Asensio.png

tactic.png

tactic ti.png

vs Bayern ECL Final s sml1.png

league s1.png

1 minute ago, BojanVu said:

Fantastic results :)

I had to quite a lot of tweaking in games and game prep in the last 2 months or so to keep the run going. SO many late winners! I was also very lucky that the big games late on were against other teams competing on multiple fronts so they had to rotate too. And a lot of bottom 6 teams in the last 2 months as well!

28 minutes ago, lomekian said:

So First season out the way...and its a quadruple!

Only data updates are one that returns Theo to his FM16 CA rather than the lower FM17 one and one that cancels every team's loans. 

Wow, some cracking results there mate. Also, I like the background pics too. 

Theo back to CA of 16 is a good idea too, I reckon he may well have a little boost in the next update. 

Ah cool man, glad he's doing well for you! I'm just starting my 4th season and have just sold Morata so Silva will go back to being first choice. 

Liking the TL;DR, too, dude, reminds me of Reddit. 

I was sceptic at first because his form with Chelsea was quite poor, but he's transfer-listed, so why not. And he's my 1st choice too :) Plus, he can play AML, so I set him up to swap position with Alexis, works very well. 

I'm also thinking about signing Peñaranda from Watford. 

And yeah, sometimes I feel like I talk too much, so TL;DR might be needed, lol. 

I am such a wally! I extended Diego Costa's contract for another year & thought I had done well to get him down from £100K a week to £80K but then just realised he gets huge bonuses for appearances, goals etc. so he just scored 2 & assisted 1 in the Community Shield. Meaning he got an extra £120K just in bonuses. 

8 hours ago, lomekian said:

Well done for Getting Lucas so effective..not so good for me it has to be said!

I gave him a chance and i must say to you he is perfect for free kicks. For now he is No 1 Forward for me.

But I have problem playing away even i playing control or standard. 

Just failing the FFP by a small margin. But I decided to sell him because I had Ramsey,Wilshere and Sanches vying for his spot. But this is totally something Santi would do if Arsenal(God forbid) went into financial difficulties.

At the beginning of my 4th season and I was about to play Liverpool away and I noticed I had 9 players in my lineup that were at the club from the very start. That doesn't usually happen with me as I have made a lot of changes and was wondering if anyone else has the same. 

At the beginning of my 4th season and I was about to play Liverpool away and I noticed I had 9 players in my lineup that were at the club from the very start. That doesn't usually happen with me as I have made a lot of changes and was wondering if anyone else has the same. 

Yep pretty much the same for me in my 3rd season. I've actually still got 10 original starters, neves being the only new player in my first XI.

Can i also say, what a lad this guy is, he's seemlessly taken over cazorlas role. 

can anyone clarify this for me though? 

Went to renew paulista contract midway through the 3rd season and he doesn't sign after accepting his new deal, instead i get a message saying his WP has been rejected...

now i assume i missed an important message in my inbox as i holidayed through pre season, and i imagine this has something to do with brexit...

Can anyone clarify this? 

3 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

At my 5th season I have 7 (Bellerin, Mustafi, Le Coq, Ramsey, Ox, Özil, and Alexis) in my starting XI, and 3 (Kos, Xhaka, and Iwobi) on the bench. (Santi and Giroud being left out due to their 'spiritual status at the club.) Gibbs left out too, but he's in the lineup when I want to rotate him with Rodríguez (he's not on the bench because I have Calabria, who can play D (RL).) Last season Cech retired, this season Santi's gonna retire at the end. I'd love to see Giroud retires at the club too but I can't have him in the sqaud anymore :(

@Liamgannon Wait, Brexit kicking in already in your 3rd season? I'm at 5th, and still no sign of Brexit yet. 

When I was a kid, I remember playing FIFA 1998.. cracking in some cheat code and then signing Roberto Carlos from Real Madrid. Sticking him at left-back and having him bomb up and down the flank..

Fast-forward almost 20 years..

E494id0.png

Just fired up my first Arsenal save of 2017 and trying a new approach. Look at these stats..

2290D03.png

Offers a lot of tactical flexibility..

6 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

Please see the above.

Archived