Euro 2016 travelling fans thread *contains trips to France*

Rob1981

Got tickets for four games and I'm taking the opportunity to do a trip around France - going everywhere by train, basically

Germany v Ukraine in Lille on 12th

Go to Paris for a couple of days on 13th - no games there, sadly

Go to Lyon on 15th - Northern Ireland v Ukraine and Czech Republic v Croatia in St Etienne

Go to Lens on 21st for Czech Republic v Turkey

I've not got a car, so I'm going everywhere by train - thanfully, France has a good train network. Looking forward to it loads!

• SI Staff

Nine of us fly to Bordeaux on Saturday (11th) - we land in time for six to go to Wales v Slovakia. Rest go to our centrally-positioned apartments in Bordeaux. Hoping to catch up with Welsh Head Researcher Adam and Slovakian Head Researcher Petr there at some stage.

We're there for a week. Booked the accommodation two years ago!

On the Monday of Spain v Czechia, we are going on train to Toulouse.

Also set for Bordeaux on the Tuesday for Austria v Hungary.

Due to drop-outs, including a guy who broke his hand and wrists two days ago, we have spare beds at our (lush) apartments.

Arrived in Bilbao last night. Was quite late so haven't really seen it yet. Only stopping here until we've had some breakfast and then it's on to France we go.

Ordered a Polo for the car hire. They gave us a replacement of a Mercedes A class. Quite happy with that.

Nine of us fly to Bordeaux on Saturday (11th) - we land in time for six to go to Wales v Slovakia. Rest go to our centrally-positioned apartments in Bordeaux. Hoping to catch up with Welsh Head Researcher Adam and Slovakian Head Researcher Petr there at some stage.

We're there for a week. Booked the accommodation two years ago!

On the Monday of Spain v Czechia, we are going on train to Toulouse.

Also set for Bordeaux on the Tuesday for Austria v Hungary.

Due to drop-outs, including a guy who broke his hand and wrists two days ago, we have spare beds at our (lush) apartments.

still wales slovakia tickets on the portal if the rest of you fancy it

Current slate of games:

Sunday: Poland vs NIreland in Nice

Monday: Italy vs Belgium in Lyon

Tuesday: Portugal vs Iceland in St Etienne

Thursday: Ukraine vs NIreland in Lyon

Friday: Croatia vs Czech Republic in St Etienne

Saturday: Hungary vs Iceland in Marseille

Absolutely cannot wait. Not every game promises to be amazing, but we've managed to fit in 4 stadiums which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our trip. We went from Calais to Troyes for a night, then down to Marseille for a few nights for the England Russia game (didn't see a lot of the trouble though I was in the port when the tear gas was about, albeit a way down in a far quieter bar). Then went up to Dijon for a night (and some mustard) and then Chantilly where the England team are staying. Finally we went up to Lille for the Wales game, watching in the fan zone, before coming home today. Decent trip in the end, though more expensive than I thought it would be(our van was a proper gas guzzler and we hadn't really taken into account the price of fuel and toll roads). :D

Got back late last night, had a really good time. Very well organised I thought the whole thing - the fan park in Lens was great if the beer a bit pricey.

Unfortunately we had to leave the Stade de France early to get the last Eurostar back and missed the Iceland winner! :lol:

Just got back yesterday myself. Went to all 3 group games of Northern Ireland (Ukraine game obviously being the major plus point). Really not a fan of Paris at all, everything ridiculously overpriced and felt the whole place smelled a bit. Lyon didn't really find much to do in but our location meant we could walk to and from stadium and avoid all the hassle of trams/buses etc. Nice was by far the nicest place we went to (weather obviously helped) but they had so much stuff set up for the fans down at the beach front to take part in. Life size table football, football table tennis, PS4's set up on large screens with PES playing the matches taking part in Nice. Really well done and none of the other places I went to had anything like this. Atmosphere created by our fans was unreal (Will Grigg song being the main one).

All in all really enjoyed my trip which helped with us qualifying. Friend is still out there for the next few weeks and has tickets for France vs ROI, one of the quarter finals and also 2 tickets for the final.

Also anyone else who went to Nice, did the bus to the stadium drop you about 3 miles away and you had to trek up to the stadium? There was drunk people getting hungover on the walk up it took that long!

Also anyone else who went to Nice, did the bus to the stadium drop you about 3 miles away and you had to trek up to the stadium? There was drunk people getting hungover on the walk up it took that long!

Got back from Nice last night (despite French Air Traffic control being on strike.)

Never actually used the shuttle buses but it was miles away from the stadium yeah, after the Northern Ireland v Poland game we were walking for ages trying to find a taxi & ended up past where the shuttle buses were. Uber was a life saver for us in Nice with our villa being up in the mountains - must have spent so much on Uber over the 11 days.

six games in 11 days & a day trip to Monaco as well not a bad haul over 11 days though we didn't go into the fan parks at all. Atmosphere in Nice for England v Wales game was brilliant best night out I've had in years.

Got back yesterday from our trip. Insane time.

Lyon was pretty top, although their stadium is literally in the middle of nowhere. Romania V Albania was a fantastic atmosphere, followed up there by the game of the tournament in Hungary v Portugal. The day out in St Etienne to see England was pretty fantastic, although the game itself was dire. Marseille would be the only place I didn't enjoy either the city (it's horrid to be honest), and the game (Poland v Ukraine).

Amount of fans from other countries who were mingling around making conversations and having a beer was fantastic. Really gutted there isn't another tournament accessible in the next 10-12 years minimum

Took me ages to get a sandwich from the little burger shack near the Lyon ground, couldn't believe how little there was around it. The Albanian women were all gorgeous as well. Completely agree with you on Marseille we were there for Iceland v Hungary, couldn't believe it when we were driving in, there was literally hundreds of people just sat on the streets selling anything they could get their hands on, looked like they had just raided local tip & dumped some **** on the floor for sale.

Port area was nicer but still a bit dodgy, they even had a bouncer on the door at the Mcdonalds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived