FM16: Portsmouth FC - Fan Owned & Debt Free!

stevemc

Finished season 2021/2022 - my longest save so far and probably for a few years :o.

Very good season, we leaked money on ground maintenance, was a strange on but finances looking good now. Will be shipping some players off to get more money in the bank I reckon, nothing too drastic though.

244d5a224f4b1bc70445b3ee46044650.png

2970fc3e15a759030fec9e62c7434add.png

Both cups win on pens :D. Seems the best way to do it. Didn't face any "big teams" in the Champions League. Monaco were the biggest. No Barcelona, Madrid etc - got PSG in the group stages but Juventus were awful in it, came bottom of the group with 3 points. Arsenal were only difficult team in FA cup and I've found a way to beat them. Just used my control tactic with a higher tempo and mixed passing instead of short and it seems to beat 'em :thup:. Now someone has to beat Chelsea :eek:.

bab542c7039a06234f55b407a46bc187.png

4eee85b2e99c52b3ff97bcf70fdf3f2c.png

Rajkovic is immense. 17 clean sheets before his injury, only Courtois was better with 25. Redmond and Draxler are amazing on the wings I don't need any replacements there. With my 5'2 right winger I signed I'm going to try and move Duelend on. Redmond can always go on the left and of course Jed Wallace is still being amazing. Massive question marks over whether it's worth keeping Andre Silva though. Reckon I could sell and buy a better regen.

I will get that premier league title :seagull:.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turned out money was spent :D. Quite a few changes with Michael Keane still looking to be shipped out, alot of them being regens in. Duelund and Rabiot were no brainers. Rabiot always been solid, but I don't always play him, one year left and wanting 150k p/w. Was happy to get rid. Duelund I tried to sell for 20mil a year earlier and no one wanted so to get this was great :D.

c069b25d1dec1949613cfc71121793af.png

Some of the regens:

I am paying this lad 175k p/w but he's rated higher then Redmond and only cost 12.25m! Had to offer high wages or he'd of ended up at Chelsea.

4f7f0885f15dcfdc452b0f29cdc705fb.png

I think this lads mental stats could be a bit better but I'm hoping first team football will bring him just that

504dfd67861d9152cf77174495704f03.png

Original CB target but they reckon I'd fail a work permit. When Benfica went in I had to go get him. Room to improve still aswell.

821e2a1d2818e1f7218a9ffda8c6b0c9.png

Scouting him for over a season and finally got him, used his Min. Fee since they told me I'd fail work permit I tried anyway and here we go. Training at AML.

20a507579e6188257be0475fc9efa9ed.png

Got this lad on a free and he'll be playing CB with the two above. Could turn out to have one or two world class CBs :D.

2e45e9d243a3a88e10e173e15c105198.png

Last and not least Rabiots replacement.

Maybe overpayed but I reckon he'll be great at DM and MC. We'll see!

c3f52ddd5214aa130644b17f9710efbd.png

Portsmouth 2023/24: Premier League

Brilliant season all in, started off winning the League Cup:

mtw2fs.png

That was followed up with my first league title win:

ao7rm8.png

We also picked up the Champions League:

15zh7ch.png

v4040k.png

Here is the season review:

2lmm61e.png

2r2926p.png

And young Sanz is fast becoming the best right winger in the world:

1552yp1.png

A large part of the success with picking up this player in January from Barcelona:

2ylsbq9.png

And finally we are getting a decent stadium expansion:

2jff28y.png

Evening all. I rarely move away from my beloved Tottenham saves but getting a little frustrated with dealing with stroppy players wanting to go to Man City :) Got a few friends who support Pompey so have a soft spot for them and fancy challenging myself to get a British only team to the Prem. Really looking forward to it and reading (ok skim reading after first page) your successes I think there is enough talent to get to the Prem, whether I could stay there however.

Just started the save and have disabled first window transfers. Any must have freebies and staff you can recommend would be appreciated.

I cancelled most of the loan deals you start with and loaned in;

Sean Goss

Mason Bennett

Sean Long

Elliot Lee

Alex Kiwomya

Vanja Milinkovic Savic

Jake Forster-Caskey

Josh Harrop

I also got Roy Heeson, Frans Putros and Remco van Wingerden on free transfers (all on one year deals).

They're the players I got in on loan, managed to have Man Utd as a feeder team so you can basically pick from their youth squad.

I've never managed a lower league club, fancy starting a save with Pompey but need some advise.

1. Anything I should know about managing in lower leagues?

2. Useful instructions for lower league teams?

3. Good tactic for Pompey? I'm thinking 4-4-2 but don't know what roles I should set...

4. Useful staff to sign?

5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Portsmouth 2024/25: Premier League

After pulling off a treble last season, this Summer window proved difficult to really improve the team, I decided to trim the playing squad by selling off 4 first team players, and bringing only 2 first team players in. But one of those signings was Lekovic, who is currently the best centre-back in world football, and cost £69m.

k53kty.png

1z5ro1c.png

Finally won a Community Shield, quickly followed by the Super Cup, so a solid start to the 2024/25 season for us:

332qe7r.png

e19jxj.png

Been drawn a tricky Champions League group, with not one standing out whipping team, but I should still progress:

zx1lk2.png

In the league, I've won 4 from 4, joint top with a nice home League Cup tie against a Championship team coming up.

There seems to be a real gap in world class full backs at the moment too.

This Summer I've re-done my whole scouting network, hiring 22 scouts and setting up 100's of new assignments, also improved the under 18's staff considerably.

Hey all,

I'm a total FM rookie and a diehard Pompey fan. I've loved reading these posts! I'm in my fifth season (second in the prem) and will upload with my current state of play if anyone's interested? Just curious though: how do you get the screenshots? I'm playing on desktop.

Play up Pompey!

Portsmouth 2024/25: Premier League (mid-season)

For some reason, we’ve turned into a real cup team this season. After winning the league last season, I was hoping to defend the title, but we’ve had some heavy injuries & fitness issues to a number of key players, leading to very patchy league form. Currently 4th, 12 points off Manchester City.

But I did manage to win the Charity Shield, The Super Sup and The Club World Cup:

2qk1p3k.png

When we actually hit form, we play some brilliant stuff and can rip teams apart:

eaqgph.png

Comfortably made it through in the Champions League, now we face Celtic in the knockout round:

291noyb.png

We now also have the Ballon D’Or winner player for our club:

2n8zb5e.png

Also had a few players issues this season, Ronaldao wants to leave, kicked up a fuss, leaving me a striker short from Oct-Jan, so I loaned him out. Also my left-back Fleck has been unsettled by Manchester City, so its been a disappointing season for far. I also struggled with the HG quota during pre-season leading to some signings/exits that I possibly wouldn't have made.

Portsmouth 2024/25: Premier League

A gutting way to end the season, finishing 2nd to Manchester City on goal difference:

2q0lf1j.png

We did however manage to win the League Cup, and add it to the Charity Shield, Super Cup & World Club Championship:

n1ytyd.png

Here is the season review, which bizarrely says we won the league:

2la9a1j.png

Need to work on bringing in a superstar signing this Summer.

I had a superstar lined up, Gregory Perret, been heavily scouting him for over a year, sorted a fee of £33m out with Lyon, contract done, all boxed off.

Right at the last minute, Manchester City come in, offer £42m, massive contract, and he goes to them. So dissappointed. :mad:

Back to the drawing board...

I had a superstar lined up, Gregory Perret, been heavily scouting him for over a year, sorted a fee of £33m out with Lyon, contract done, all boxed off.

Right at the last minute, Manchester City come in, offer £42m, massive contract, and he goes to them. So dissappointed. :mad:

Back to the drawing board...

Whats your team mentality and shape setup stevemc?

Whats your team mentality and shape setup stevemc?

Its fluid and its a glorified 4-4-2.

-------------- SK --------------

F(A) --- CB --- BPD --- FB(S)

-------------- HB--------------

WM --------- CM --------- WM

------------------ AM ---------

--------- DLF -----------------

Portsmouth 2025/26: Mid-Season

Had a good transfer window, bringing in two superstar players in Gonzalez and Vadinho:

2z7onqp.png

av4e20.png

31-year-old club legend also Pione Sisto left for £15m to Barcelona.

We also topped the rich list for the first time in out history:

2wptssl.png

I made some significant changes to my coaching staff, maxing it out, also brought club favourite Gary Roberts back to the club:

2qw3luw.png

We’ve started well in the league, just won 0-1 away at Manchester United, to put me in a great position:

wjvir.png

Bossing the Champions League too, topped the group, and now have a tie with Dortmund to play:

34fh2j6.png

Still in the league cup, 4-1 up on Tottenham in the semi final, with the second leg left to play. Also drawn Tottenham in the FA Cup 4th round, so I’ve in the middle of playing them in four consecutive games.

As I’ve entered January, Ive decided to sell left-back Fleck to Real Madrid for £25m (his value was £15m), who has fallen down the pecking order since Gonzalez arrived. I’m also in the process of selling my back up striker for £25m to Schalke due to the arrival of a 20 year old German wonderkid for £46m.

The quad is still on! :D

Getting interesting in 2025/26 season for me, top of the EPL with 3 games to go, very tight, with Manchester City pushing me. I've had some, and still got, some serious injuries in key positions which will make the end of the season very tough. At one point, I had 8 of my starting 11 out injured and had to rely on youth players.

We've got an FA Cup final in the bag, against Manchester City and also have Real Madrid in the semi final of the Champions League.

Should have it polished off tonight - crunch time!

Just won the Prem and the Champs League for the game to crash when I was resizing my window to take screenshots :( :( :(.

Wounded as my LB scored one of the best freekicks I've seen on FM :(.

Take two!

End of Season 2022/2023:

Amazing season, won so many cups. FA Cup loss to United was a shambles. Lost on Pens after the ref bottled sending off both of their central midfielders for fouls when they were already on yellows.

Joel Ward might be gettin' on but he's still got it!

9be64f2c65e3843144847f12d26144cd.png

b1cf7a37135a2a08d928b54bc1816633.png

c42e3c02c8e686e77e5d691c41c71539.png

We lost to Chelsea but thankfully a draw with Hull and a win over West Brom saw us lift the title. Played a regen 17 year old on the left as I've had alot of injuries and he scored in both games.

dbe408745f7a8dc1a5b6c9974fefa8a8.png

Best Players:

b4bec5a32ff64a8d04995b96c5302f5c.png

2ec68e990169b1d9d69718cf4f497e2a.png

Team has alot of quality but we always seem to play better with the Mexicans on :cool:.

Still going to be playing the save as I've found my enjoyment back watching players such as Rajkovic, Andre Silva and a handful of regens.

I expect to do alot of transfers in the summer :D.

Portsmouth 2025/26

So, we bottled it.

Last 4 games were against Liverpool, Man City, Man United & Chelsea. Frustratingly we were 2-0 up away at City (a win would have won us the league) but we fell apart and lost 4-3 to a last minute goal (I could have thrown my laptop out of the window :D). So once again we just miss out to Manchester City.

Injuries were a killer this season though, big injuries to key players, for months at a time. At one point 8 of my starting 11 were out injured.

23s9pjs.png

The only bonus from this was Liverpool being relegated :lol:

9amvlc.png

At least we managed to pick up some silverware, lifting the League Cup making it 3 times in a row:

2e5qgdh.png

dr8pqs.png

Manchester City pipped us to the FA Cup on penalties (again, I could have thrown my laptop out of the window :D)

t7mw08.png

Oh wait, they also beat us in the Champions League final:

2d7vxqp.png

Here is the overall season review:

6px83o.png

So as you can see, I really hate Manchester City. They are my nemesis. They are the dominant force currently and will take some shifting, but that's the next challenge.

To combat that, I'm going to try a new system next season, going with a 4-2-3-1 formation with inside forwards, and attacking full backs, similar to the tactic that shot me up the leagues, earlier in this save. I've also acted fast in the transfer market, selling off a few underperformers early and bringing in two world-class players for £70m apiece (an inside forward and a new striker). Sergio Diaz is also set to leave.

Portsmouth 2026/27

Right, I decided I needed to be assertive this Summer with my recruitment, so I brought in some world-class players, and allowed some players to leave that I was particularly attached to. Here are my deals:

hvoyvp.jpg

And screens of my key signings:

2r3fehy.png

2zin8k9.png

15q8877.png

2ih1cvk.png

I sold off Scuffet when I found Donnarumma became interested in a move, so there's an upgrade in that department.

Diaz, Matos, Scuffet and Matos were players I really liked but needed to sell to make improvements.

Manchester City just beat me 2-1 in the Community Shield, but after tweaking my tactics I've seen a sharp upturn in my form and performances, here is the EPL as it stands, the draw coming away at The Etihad:

aceheb.png

Made significant improvements this season with my tactics, I've got the league won with 7 games spare. Currently unbeaten too (P31, W28, D3 L0). Also beat Manchester City at home in the league, and in the League Cup final.

Not far off completing the season, so I'll post an update once complete.

Portsmouth 2026/27

So I massively dominated the league, managed to stop Manchester City winning three in a row, didn't lose a game until the league was won and I played youth players:

k49r36.png

Sabia was immmense for me, £70m well spent, the guy is a machine:

osa145.jpg

Here is the season review, Manchester City still knocked me out of the Champions League and beat me to the Community Shield:

kd5npj.png

And here is my run in the Champions League, topped my group only to get Barcelona, beat then and was rewarded with Manchester City :(

2uihlwj.png

2mn572s.png

I continue to have a love affair with the league cup, not even Manchester City can move me:

2h30shz.png

4dlqc.png

nmxg8z.png

And in the year 2027, I've finally entered the Hall of Fame:

egrd6w.png

I really need to progress more in the Champions League next season, and try to win back to back title.

Portsmouth 2027/28

Straight forward summer, didn't have mega funds, didn't really need them, so invested in another world class centre back for £42m, whom I had on loan about 5 years ago:

1zdxf7q.png

aui8th.png

28gv19e.png

Decided on a summer pre-season tour of China, few home friendlies, then into the Community Shield, against Nottingham Forrest who beat Manchester United in last season's FA Cup final. We played really well, should have been about 10-0 really. 39 shots to 4, eventually needing penalties...

imozko.png

Decided to up the continental win bonuses in the hope it improves out Champions League push.

Portsmouth 2027/28 (mid-season)

Easily qualified from my Champions League group, setting up a favourable tie with Schalke in the knock outs:

w12ohf.png

The FA Cup threw up a bit of cup magic, Vanarama Conference's Maidstone :D

20a9tlj.png

Unfortunately for them, then didn't get a shot on target and lost 5-0.

Had some shocking injuries too this season:

2r4jzbp.png

6teb7t.png

The big news was in January, I parted with my £65m striker Benedetti for £60m. He didn't really set the world alight, like I thought he would and at £60m, I thought it was best for the club financially.

2irq9mc.png

Unsurprisingly, I've got a 5th League Cup final in a row too look forward, and even more unsurprisingly its also against Manchester City :D

I'm also 9 points clear in the EPL in search of back-to-back titles for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Portsmouth 2027/28: Premier League

Back-to-back titles for us for the first time, fighting off the Man City dominance, Sabia once again leading the goalscoring:

10r3az6.png

2cr2bz4.png

Here's the season review:

15r1vl2.png

We won the league and the Community Shield, pretty poor by our high standards now but we were unlucky to lose the League Cup final on penalties:

34rhcme.png

Technically, we are still unbeaten in the competition :D

1432w3.png

Looking to make it three titles in a row, but the Champions League is the big one that I need to be winning more often.

stevemc, sorry to interrupt - do you mind me asking what background pack you're using please? It looks really nice. I like your attribute colours too.

Great thread everybody, keep up the good work. Enjoy reading it.

I've made my own, I used a base of a background pack from about 4 years ago, and just edited it over the years. Just have the transparent base skin over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a tricky summer, start of 28/29 season, identifying top class players to sign, there seems to be a lull in high level, established talent which is hard for me when trying to find a replacement for a 31-year-old Youri Tielemans. Also on the hunt for another top class striker.

• 4 weeks later...

i ended up losing my everton save and so decided i may aswell go for a new challenge after finishing 3rd season anyway and winning prem and champions cup with them and so now i turn to portsmouth for a new challenge and my goal is to do same i want champions cup and premiership glory

So far im 11 games in to my first season and its smooth sailing im 6 points ahead at the top and im not seeing signs off it slowing down for me im rampant against other teams in top 6

Transfers out

Calvin Davies (£28k + 50% off profit )

Few other dead wood players in reserve to free up wages went for free

Transfers In

Tiago Terroso - free ( he been a beast so far 11 games avg rating off 8.19 and has become my most valued player at £725k )

Djily Vouho - £23.5k ( another beast so far with 9 games and 13 goals )

Reece Hands - free transfer ( was brought in as a back up but injurys means he been playing and he doing a good job avg rating 7.33)

Stefano morotti - free ( he was brought as a back up and he been that just coming on few games from the bench)

Luke Jones - free ( brought as back up due to few injurys but he has not really been able to get games for me )

Leo - £1.5k ( he has decent potential so figured id get him and see but he has not gotten games due to reece hands)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got some time to my self and always been top clubs, Spurs, Man Utd and then Middlesborough! I'm never lower league but see the adventures people here have had and thought I'll give it ago!

I need to ask what sort of database should I start off with? Also seen people boast about Joel Valenica, how can I get him available in my game I never seem to find him?!? All help and advice first season would be greatly appreciated

• 1 month later...

Portsmouth 2028/29: Premier League

Dug out my Pompey save, been months since I played FM, but decided on having a few hours on it :D

After the title winning season of 27/28, I decided that the squad didn't need much work, but I did need another prolific striker.

2ni2vd3.png

That prolific striker was Aitor, from Barcelona for a hefty £65m:

w9e04n.png

67mrtc.png

We started the season winning the Community Shield for the fourth time, and by the end of August we were top of the league again.

The Champions League draw was also quite favourable:

141l649.png

• 2 weeks later...

Powering through this season in the league, 9 points clear with a game in hand, beating all the top teams and now in mid-February, I don’t see any hiccups along the way.

My striker, Sabia, has been key to this, he’s reached the Messi/Ronaldo level of goalscoring.

m9woc9.png

Really enjoyed this win away at Manchester City:

iyg47l.png

We are progressing well in the FA Cup, 5th round next. Plus we have a Capital One Cup Final against Chelsea to look forward too.

Champions League group was straight forward after an unexpected 2-1 away defeat to Ajax, we ended up topping the group. We now face Monaco in the knockout round.

2v2hypt.png

Decided I’d had enough of Stelmech, the lad is a utter helmet, poor discipline record compounded by 3 consecutive red cards (one after only 3 minutes!), I decided enough was enough, fined him, put him in the reserves and put him up for sale. Real Madrid came in January and took him off me for £35m:

wgq45s.png

On a more positive note, Miguel Sanz won his second consecutive Ballon D’Or at the age of 25:

3516fky.png

First trophy of the season was ours, after just getting over the line against Chelsea, had a couple of key players missing but young Alex Owen got the winner from the bench in extra time:

2j5e8li.png

Our affinity with the League Cup is strange, we’ve got a 6 year unbeaten record. :D

29w4qki.png

Season finished, comprehensive way to win our third consecutive title, with Sabia banging in 38 goals in 31 games::

np1jxh.png

21j9g8i.png

Watford gaffer, Wayne Rooney also picked up manager of the year:

2quhvk8.png

Finished off our domestic dominance, with the FA Cup to complete the treble, beating Manchester City 2-0 in the final:

i3xv69.png

Disappointingly, we lost on away goals in the Champions League semi-final to a resurgent AC Milan. Season review:

25ui91y.png

Creeping up to 11th in the Hall of Fame now:

ih8xs0.png

Portsmouth 2029/30: Premier League (summer)

Summer has arrived, having booked a pre-season tour of China, I was also invited on a lucrative tour of Belgium too, so I cut back the holidays to accommodate a monster pre-season :D

2ur2d1l.png

We've moved up to 5th in the world's rich list, with Real Madrid still topping the charts. Manchester United, surprisingly dropping like a stone:

118drmp.png

The time had come to end Youri Tielemans 8-year stay at the club, where he's been brilliant in CM, including winning the Ballon D'Or, but at 32 he can't perform at the level I need going forward, managed for get £16.75m back:

nmd9i9.png

But, the decision was made easier when his replacement, who I've been scouting for 3 years, became available. Hugo Moreira, £98m worth of attacking midfielder porn :D

fl9iqt.png

A few loan players returned, now at the level required for my first team. I promoted young English striker Frank Bewer to replace Alex Owen, and Mazinho has been promoted to cover at CB, but other than that, my squad is settled early:

mov47.png

Really need to push on for more Champions League titles, I've only won one in my Portsmouth career.

Portsmouth 2029/30: Premier League

Lost the Community Shield to 2 goals in the 90th minute from Manchester City, gutting really to lose that way, but the competition isn't a priority:

28vcewm.png

Brought in the retired Robert Huth and Ledley King, who have turned into brilliant coaches :)

nlq42w.png

6en6a1.png

So the end of the transfer window looks like this, in the middle of the window we had a very quick board takeover. The new board took out a £44m loan to finance the deal, which also left finances tighter than i would have liked.

1yjnf9.png

I managed to get £35m for Janda, who was a squad player for me, but a number of big clubs wanted him so I managed to drive up the price:

8whzzq.png

We've been made favourites for this season Champions League, and here is our group:

zspv6e.png

On a personal note, I've reached 800 games in management, and made the Portsmouth legends list:

2i2bnt5.png

281zdya.png

• 5 weeks later...

Doing an FMC save and enjoying it, mainly instant resulting the matches except for important ones.

Promoted first two seasons before being relegated back down in my third, promoted again in my fourth, beaten in the playoffs in my fifth and missed the playoffs in my sixth although I got to the FA Cup semi-final.

Notable signings are Dragowski, brought Jed Wallace back and he's now worth 7.5 million£, Nick Blackman and Reece Grego-Cox who I bought for a pittance off QPR, sold for 2.5 million£ a year and a half later and got him back again on a free for this season!

Archived