Game Improvement Ideas (originally posted in steam forum)

Original conversation here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/301120/discussions/

maytagman has Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access 12 hours ago

Ideas for improving the game

1. Make an option for permanant scouting for nhl entry draft.

I'm constantly having to set the same 5 scouts on the entry draft over and over and over, and if i forget for a month or two its a huge pain.

2. By default set recommendations off when assigning scouts, so inbox doesnt get filled with spam, let people turn it on that want the spam.

3. Add option for scouting your own organization - and by this I mean parent team, farm team and all organizational prospects. I want one scout to keep tabs on all my prospects and AHL players, but I don't want to have to do this through shortlist.

4. Drafts are too top heavy. The odds of getting a good player outside the top 10 picks are so small, it's better to trade away all picks to get a single top 10 pick.

5. Single command to invite all draft picks to training camp

6. New advanced statistics such as fenwick and corsi... this is huge for getting the hockey analytic geeks to buy in

7.Yearly cap inflation (randomized)

8. All updated CBA rules... such as retaining salary... looks like this might be there but unfinished? I see cash in trade option...

I'm sure theres more I'll think of later...

LampShade9909 10 hours ago

Cap inflation is an unnecessary complication for the developers. Here's what will happen. The cap will go up. Player salaries will go up. Everything will even out. The developers just had to do a lot of unnecessary math... Inflation isn't worth their stress

I like the advance stats idea!

You should add gambling into the mix. Give some vegas odds and allow the user to place some bets ;-)

maytagman has Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access 50 minutes ago

9. Add tooltips for what all the attributes mean for both players and staff

Softy has Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access 42 minutes ago

Originally posted by maytagman:

"4. Drafts are too top heavy. The odds of getting a good player outside the top 10 picks are so small, it's better to trade away all picks to get a single top 10 pick."

This is true, although I don't really have a suggestion on how to improve the Draft.

maytagman has Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access 31 minutes ago

Originally posted by Softy:

"4. Drafts are too top heavy. The odds of getting a good player outside the top 10 picks are so small, it's better to trade away all picks to get a single top 10 pick."

"This is true, although I don't really have a suggestion on how to improve the Draft."

Well I think it would be fairly easy, as an example, to go through say 10 drafts starting in 2010, using a site like hockeydb where it shows how many NHL games players have played and create an odds formula to replicate that. For instance 80% of 1st round draft picks become nhl regulars, 5% of 7th rounders become nhl regulars, 1% of draft become nhl superstars, etc. etc.... maybe a kind of odds matrix based on this real data.

Softy has Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access 21 minutes ago

Originally posted by Softy:

"This is true, although I don't really have a suggestion on how to improve the Draft."

"Well I think it would be fairly easy, as an example, to go through say 10 drafts starting in 2010, using a site like hockeydb where it shows how many NHL games players have played and create an odds formula to replicate that. For instance 80% of 1st round draft picks become nhl regulars, 5% of 7th rounders become nhl regulars, 1% of draft become nhl superstars, etc. etc.... maybe a kind of odds matrix based on this real data."

The way I see it, the problem, at least with EHM 2007 was the fact that there were no late bloomers in the game really. You could pretty much tell who was going to be a star and who wasn't after you had played for a while, because they way the player values progressed was very predictable. If you had a player who sucked when he was 18, he was going to suck just a bad as when he was 27.

As for the draft, of course the AI as well as you are bound to draft all the promising players early on, but if the database would have these "sleepers", then you could end up getting a useful player from the later rounds, too.

Also, at least on 2007 the AI (and so far it seems basically to be the same inherited AI on EHM: EA) was too easy to manipulate. Just as you said, it was always pretty easy to get the first pick and draft a "sure shiner" so to say. The AI should hold on to those top 10 pick for dear life!

Last edited by Softy; 17 minutes ago

maytagman has Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access 14 minutes ago

Agreed! So this could easily be fixed using both approaches, a) aligning the draft odds better with real world drafts and b) creating a variable for development speed. Ideally each prospect should then have 4 factors: ability, potential, likliness to reach potential, speed of development. The last two should be hidden variables.

Another... in ehm 2007 playing the maple leafs, richest team in the league, after a top scout's contract expires the team cannot afford their demands, but once they become "free agents" suddenly you can offer much more money... each team should have internal staff budgets based on how rich they are.

Going off of what Softy said, I think the AI can be fixed simply by adjusting the valuation of draft picks. Top 10 picks should be worth much more, and top 3 picks even more. 10 third round picks should never be worth the first overall draft pick... maybe you get 5 nhl players out of 10 3rd round picks if you're lucky, which would never equal the franchise player you can get with 1st overall.

You could also adjust this valuation based on the set team needs. If a team is focused on rebuilding that 1st overall pick should be worth insanely more than a team with too many draft picks and young players... for instance the 1st overall pick would be worth more to the Toronto Maple Leafs than it is the NY Islanders. The Islanders have tons of young talent and a franchise center already, so that pick is worth more to some other teams e.g. Leafs.

Few suggestions that sprang into my mind. It would be neat if the manger could, at least in the European leagues, have more impact on the club's salary budget.. A sort of slider thing they have in FM would be cool.

Also one of the problems I recall from 2007 was the fact that in Europe, as the time progressed, the AI teams stopped using their money to build stronger squads. Even though at least some of them must've been generating profit (cos I know I was) they're budgets just declined and winning championships in, say Finnish SM-Liiga became easier.

Still more stuff from my old wishlist. How about the ability to retire numbers for your veteran players? That would be a small but very awesome feature that would help to build immersion.

SoftyPants again requesting things ;). Please considering adding an option where I can disable PP/PK units mid-game and just use my regular lines as special teams. Sometimes if the game's already decided I like to give my 3rd or 4th string players a chance to shine on PP, but now the system is pretty stiff, cos in order to achieve this I need to redo my PP lines completely.

Also, why are players now in 100% game condition after they've recovered from injury? The old system where they where lacking match practice was more realistic, IMO.

instead of players just being unhappy in information tab, add option for players to request meeting with gm (ask for trade, ask for new contract, complain about treatment of a teammate, etc.)

Then allow options of how to address it, similar to how you respond to media comments.

Something I really wish would come is that you have the option to buy your arena in order to expand it! Perhaps even the option to build a brand new arena, choose the capacity, arena name etc. The bigger the more expensive! I think they have something like this in Football Manager if I'm not mistaken

Something I really wish would come is that you have the option to buy your arena in order to expand it! Perhaps even the option to build a brand new arena, choose the capacity, arena name etc. The bigger the more expensive! I think they have something like this in Football Manager if I'm not mistaken

In FM you can ask the board to buy your stadium, expand it, or even build a new one, but none of the other stuff, all that will be decided by the board.

GM's have contract irl right? That should be implemented.

Please delete that I must save my game before quitting the game.

Implement that your GM like in FM is saved so I dont have to create him every time. Also, GM's option should be wider, again, like in FM

#4 - Draft stuff

It depends on what your time horizon is for incorporating young players into the lineup? Outside of the top-ten, it is realistic that these players do not immediately dress in the NHL. Even top-ten players aren't always NHL ready and shouldn't always be expected to.

It's more likely a development issue if you never see a single 2nd round pick or later ever dress for a game by the time they are 22ish. Admittedly, I haven't played long enough to judge how this plays out.

-An option to display standings in wildcard format (those actually making playoffs)

-Modified no-trade clauses / player negotiation to waive NTCs

-Ability to retain salary in trades

-Relocations / expansions / lockouts / restructuring affiliates (rare league structure events)

-Player death / legal issues / career ending injuries (rare player events)

-Winter classics

-More media interaction, whether it be players or GM

-Voting on jersey retirement / hall of fame induction

-Dynamic team rivalries

-Have the player role appear on the profile screen, as opposed to the positions screen

-Ability to see your team / player stats from previous seasons

-A prospects page that lists your draft picks by year, include their draft number, and tracked scouting reports from first scouting to current

It is still annoying that whenever you try to sign a scout/coachwhatever, suddenly a bunchhole of clubs want that special one aswell, even after months of waiting. It's the same no matter if it is at the start of the season or in the middle.

I haven't played that much yet, but so far it looks and feels exactly like EHM 2007. I was hoping for some major changed and not just a simple facelift. Hopefully I am wrong later on.

- the ability to influence relations of other players/managers by interactions of praise so you can get them easier.

- the ability to increase the club's finances more. i.e attracting sponsors, adjusting ticket prizes,

This could in turn be spent on bettering the club's facilities, training, medical staff, recreation facilities, etc

I've been playing as an ECHL team so far. I fully appreciate the effort that must go into adding a feature, and here's what I'm thinking of to improve the minor league management experience.

Being a minor league affiliate can be fun, but it still feels just as much of a vacuum as it did in 2007 (so far). For basics, the ECHL needs protected lists. Largely similar to how RFA works.

I'm playing on the TBL database so some things may not match up exactly with the default database but ECHL teams are able to buy players from Europe, which while in 3 seasons in Early Access, I haven't seen any teams in the league successfully use it, it would be extremely exploitable if it actually existed as an ECHL affiliate could buy the contract to a European league contract and make it so that once they were an ECHL player, able to be signed straight away to the big club.

On the subject of interacting with a parent club, I'd like to see at least some sort of monthly news item that tells you about what's going on in the rest of the organization. Who's hot, who's cold, player movement, how your graduated players are doing, NHL debuts, etc. Minor league teams should also be given at least occasionally a few days heads-up from the big club that they're going to promote/demote guys so you have a chance to plan around that. I don't know how the simulation actually works regarding that, but if there is sort of a queue to things like that, it'd be a nice touch to inform the player.

Players sent down could also do with some flavor text in that news item as well. Having some indication from the big club why they were sent to you would establish their place a bit more quickly, as it feels sort of unrealistic that your supposed affiliate is just dumping and recalling guys onto you seemingly arbitrarily and with no hint of what's up, What they need to work on, etc. It'd give you an idea of what would get them sent back up (if you wanted that) without necessarily having to do the scouting work yourself. ECHL teams in particular have small staffs which may not be feasible from a gameplay perspective, but if they're going to do the rules by-the-book, then you're going to be shorthanded, limited to 2 coaches and the like, having access to some of the resources of your affiliate would balance that out.

Parent clubs could also be used as scouts (although slower to respond and maybe not the guy you want) as their attributes would be generally be higher than what you have in the lower leagues. It'd also make the specific staff a parent club has be relevant.

How players are sent down is also a mystery to the player. I'm looking at my AHL affiliate and they've got extra guys and I'm short. It could be that they throw every extra guy your way, but it'd also be nice to request specific players be sent to you or there be some kind of up-front understanding about how many guys of theirs you'll have on your roster. Team Needs need a tweak at that level as my coaches always say I need first line everything, but those needs could be what your affiliate(s) try to help you out with. The scouting/depth chart consensus on players is also all over the place for me, where it was pretty much universal agreement in 2007. I like a bit of RNG in there, but it feels chaotic right now and I don't know who to listen to. Even my 20/20 guys are all over the place with their assessments of the same players.

Honestly, it'd be sort of nice for players to get a few generic message from their affiliates each season, sort of 'humanizing' them, letting the player know they exist, and to in a roundabout way explain their purpose and relationship to new players/fans and take away a bit of that frustration of possibly losing your best players at a critical time by a cold, uncaring machine (which it still is), speaking of which I've noticed a lot of roster moves during the playoffs, which feels a bit unrealistic. I've had my roster raided two years in a row by NHL teams late into my team's playoff run. If that signing frenzy could be pushed back a bit...

CIS is also too big a deal in my game, but that could be the database I'm using. Once a guy hits 20 he can be signed, but that shouldn't necessarily be when he decides to. IRL with CIS or CHL they generally wait for at least after their season has ended to start playing pro, even if they're old enough to technically sign months before.

edit: one last thing (for today) I'm not going to be telling SI how to do their business, but I personally really like what Prison Architect does. Updating the game with significant feature(s) every month (except when it's planned). Early Access has taken it's hits over the past year or so, and living up to a consistent schedule to show improvements and get feedback should shake uncertainties over where the game is headed.

I'm going insane with the waived players and cap problems big teams are having. Backes, Howard, Lucic, I see 10-15 solid top 6 nhlers/startings goalies and some others who should stay in the league all get waived each season. It's frustrating. Not to mention the trades. Duncan Keith for a 4th, 5th and 7th pick? ugh.

Some things i've been thinking about when playing in sweden

1) I want a similar junior(development)system for the swedish(european) part as is used in fotboll manager 2011 and 2012. The same system may still be used but i have not been playing a later version of that game.

- I want to be able to hire a coach/gm for the junior section.

- I want to be able to arange try-outs for young players wanting to join the juniors.

- I want it to be possible to improve the training facilitys for the juniors.

Overall i want more options regarding junior player development.

2) It would be great to be able to build connections to others gm's in the game to make it easier transfering players from club.

3) Possible to loan players that signed with nhl team but dont make it to the nhl team and been sent to ahl.(Today swedish teams have the rights to call back players drafted in 2 round and later if they been sent down at/after training camp).

To make my point as a big fan of swedish hockey, and a gm that usually plays with european team i want more oppertunites and it to be more realistic.

I love the scouting suggestions! I'd actually like it if we had control over ALL the default scouting settings. I prefer intensive searches with only recaps of findings, so I always have to change the default settings whenever I assign a scout. I also agree with suggestion 4. When I played EHM 07 some time ago, I noticed that the quality of NHL players for all teams would gradually sink as seasons went by, as there simply weren't any truly great players emerging from the drafts. You'd be left with entire rosters full of mediocre scrubs. Player development may be in need of some rebalancing to address that issue.

Lots of problems with trading:

-The well-documented "Gauge Interest" bug wherein you inquire of one GM several times, and then a GM you've never traded with already has no time for.

-Just like in EHM07, values in trades are way off. As Pittsburgh, I tried to acquire Boedker from Arizona. No dice. As an experiment, I offered Crosby for Boedker, straight up. However, they were "hesitant to give up a key player like Mikkel Bodker in such a trade." Exact same thing happened with Buffalo and Ristolainen. Ended up offering Crosby in a one-for-one, and they declined. Which leads me to my next problem:

-Because Buffalo declined Crosby for Ristolainen, I offered Crosby and Letang for Ristolainen, just as an experiment. Again, declined. This time, however, it's because Buffalo is ""worried about the financial effect of the trade on their player budget." I remember this happening in 07 pretty frequently- you'd offer a high-quality player with a big contract to a team with lots of cap space for lesser-quality players, and they'd reject the trade, usually if they were under the Cap Floor.

I think it has less to do with the cap than it does to do with what the board set as player salary levels. But your point is well taken. The board/GM should recognize that they are getting good players in return that would be worth exceeding the budgetary limits. I think a GM that would turn down that deal might not be a GM for long.

Part of the issue I had with 2007 was you always knew who the good players were regardless of what your scouting staff said. It was nearly impossible to miss. Very few players attributes significantly better after you drafted them. I think they've improved it a little where guys are not slam dunk picks anymore. I've only played through the 2015 draft though.

#4 - Draft stuff

It depends on what your time horizon is for incorporating young players into the lineup? Outside of the top-ten, it is realistic that these players do not immediately dress in the NHL. Even top-ten players aren't always NHL ready and shouldn't always be expected to.

It's more likely a development issue if you never see a single 2nd round pick or later ever dress for a game by the time they are 22ish. Admittedly, I haven't played long enough to judge how this plays out.

Going of this, In real life we know that McDavid will be a First line centre in his Rookie year, 2nd line at most but when you look at his stats he'd manage to get on the 3rd line for some teams, whilst in others he wouldn't make the cut.

Regarding the elite prospects not getting ice time from the get-go, I'd imagine that using FM logic it's a "current ability" problem and not a "potential ability" problem or necessarily a "development" problem.

Most 1st overalls and a lot of top-5 guys should be impact players right away - even a relative "disappointment" like Yakupov had a better rookie season than I've seen in simming EHM.

Player development definitely needs to be something that is worked on. Especially when it comes to development time. I think it's pretty easy to tell if someone will pan out by the time they are 20, in the game.

However, I experienced something unexpected in my game. I manage the Philadelphia Flyers (with the TBL roster update). Towards the end of the first season, I get news that my rights to Michael Parks, an unsigned 23 year old NCAA prospect, will expire in June.

I look at his attributes and see that every technical skill is in the mid-single digits. I give up my rights to him to free up the spot on my reserve list.

Fast forward four months. I'm looking through young free agents to fill out my farm team. I'm paying much attention to names, just clicking through profiles of the players my scouts rated highest. I find a 23 year old forward who looks like he could be a diamond in the rough, may compete for a spot in camp, but definitely worthy to sign and stock on the farm team.

I click through to his information to see if he had been drafted and which AI team stupidly cut him. Then I see that he was drafted by the Flyers. Then I realize it is Michael Parks.

I haven't played EHM since 2007, but I recall there being random instances where it 'clicks' for a player and they experience a bump in current and potential ability. Maybe I'm making that up.

I agree with all the suggestions here. For my part I would love to see more in-game coaching options.

I just watched my 2nd 5vs3 Powerplay unit eat up 1:15 of prime powerplay time. Completely unacceptable. Yes, the 1st unit was a little bit tired, but this under-powered 2nd unit stayed out there for face-off after face-off. Extremely frustrating. I would like to be able to specify which lines I want on the ice after a whistle. I want my best checkers on the ice during an important defensive zone face-off, I want my high-powered offense out there during late-game powerplays, and my clutch players on the ice in desperate circumstances.

More detailed fatigue information would also be useful. It's difficult to know shift-to-shift which units are temporarily exhausted and which are suffering from long-term tiredness.

There should also be a time-out option to rest an exhausted line after an ill-advised icing or for other important situations.

I'm also not thrilled with my checking players receiving low-ratings and having low morale. The job of the 3rd line on my team is to shut down the top forwards of the opposition, and they do a pretty good job. The center assigned to check the top-scorer of the opposition shouldn't receive a "5" rating when he holds the opponent to 0 points and forces 3 giveaways. It would be nice to assign roles to these players so that they know (and the coaching staff who assigns ratings knows) what their roles are. Checker, enforcer, etc.

I'd like an improvement on the training screen. I don't know a huge amount about the mechanics of the game but coaching staff giving advice on what would be best developmentally for the player would be good (send to minors, used on 4th line in NHL, send to juniors etc.)

Being able to influence the AHL coaching staff as to what lines you want would be good too. Sometimes I want to develop a player as a centre for instance but they get stuck on the wing in the AHL and there's nothing I can do about it.

Agree with fancy stats that would be a nice feature.

The tactics screen could use an upgrade, I still don't know what half of it means!

I'd like to be able to set an asking price on a player that I shop around/put on the block, for instance say I won't take less than a 2nd round pick or something.

Would be cool if there were more news features centred around the team e.g. blogs which comment on players doing well or on things such as how often you change the lines, whether you change the lines in games when they're doing badly etc. Could be a good barometer for how much the fans like you. Can also analyse trades etc. Really bugs me when I trade a few low picks, underperforming players and a couple of awful prospects for a decent player and the fans go apesh*t at me and say I'm running the team into the ground!

Getting HC/AGM's opinions on games or playoff series would be cool too, for instance if you're 2 games down they could highlight tactics that are/aren't working, potential line combos that might do better, suggest line matching or something.

Automating goalie rotation would be good too - being able to set a percentage of games each one gets for instance.

More influence on when players fight would be good as well - if I've got a dude on the first line who is a good fighter than doesn't mean I want him dropping the gloves with the other team's fourth liners, it's a complete waste, whereas if he can bust up Crosby and make him sit for five then I'll take that any day of the week.

Some indication as to how much chemistry a line or pair of D has would be cool as well, maybe not like the old school NHL games, but maybe a news item that says your Coaches have been commenting on how a line is so in sync at the moment, or how a couple of players had great chemistry and you should try them out on a line together.

An updated version of the personal tactics is needed as well! The sliders are a bit archaic.

Also lines seem to be able to change after icing?? Which obviously shouldn't be the case....

+1 for the fatigue and call time out ideas listed above. That would make you have to pay attention to icing (which seems to happen all the time as my players seem incapable of dumping the puck without icing it)

Just a few more thoughts I've had.

Defensive pairs may need to work independently of offensive lines. Right now I have my shutdown units on the third pairing, so they come out with the 3rd line (traditionally the checking line) to help shut-down the top line of the opponent. These are not, statistically speaking, bottom-pairing defensemen. Unfortunately, when overloading to the top two lines, I end up having my worst defensemen on the ice (because they are set as the second pairing). Defensive units should have assignments independent from the forwards. If I want my shut-down pairing out with the top forward line as they take on the opposition's #1 line, I should be able to get that match-up without shuffling. Being able to designate a checking assignment, and have the checker come out onto the ice for every shift his target takes, would be very nice.

I also think it would be great if we could watch a highlight package of a specific player. Sometimes I insert a rookie and I'm very curious to watch his performance. It's tedious to sit through an entire game waiting for his line to come on. I'd love to just be able to see every shift a specific player took.

Defensive pairs may need to work independently of offensive lines. Right now I have my shutdown units on the third pairing, so they come out with the 3rd line (traditionally the checking line) to help shut-down the top line of the opponent. These are not, statistically speaking, bottom-pairing defensemen. Unfortunately, when overloading to the top two lines, I end up having my worst defensemen on the ice (because they are set as the second pairing). Defensive units should have assignments independent from the forwards. If I want my shut-down pairing out with the top forward line as they take on the opposition's #1 line, I should be able to get that match-up without shuffling. Being able to designate a checking assignment, and have the checker come out onto the ice for every shift his target takes, would be very nice.

Well, you can "overload" your defensive pairings too.

Well since we already got a forum going for this, I'm gonna post my ideas as well.

- Have the option to see potential ratings

Personally, I'd like this feature to implicate more of a "sandbox" mode for testing in Early Access. Kind of hard to bug test a game, when some of it's attributes remain hidden.

- Roster/staff/club editing feature

Instead of going through the trouble on using external utilities, I'd like to see this feature built-in the game completely [at the main menu obviously.] Such a thing would make editing mistakes and bugs easier generally, and it would be much less of a hassle. I know EHM Manager 2007 is a valid option, but I'd like to see this game reach it's full-on potential with customizability.

- Public tracker for online hosted games so anyone can join

(I just thought it'd be a fun feature so we could effortlessly organize online matches, also having something like an internal chat room would be paramount considering some players may AFK too often.)

- Team logos on GM select

I'm pretty sure you're already working on this, but personally I feel the aesthetic is too nice not to have.

- Better Customization

Such as editing colors, backgrounds images (maybe have rotating like Windows Aero?) Maybe even changing the team logo's to more HD versions if we wish.

- Custom Resolutions

I'd personally like a custom resolution option, because my 1080p monitors make the game look incredibly small. If I could get it at least 720p in windowed I'd be satisfied, plus this would only really be a benefit if anything.

- Farm Teams in menu bar

No love for the farm teams? Like in EHM 2007 I'd like easy access to see who's injured, how the farm team is doing and who they pick for their roster lineups. Seems like a feature that kind of just got forgotten, besides nowadays the resolution this game runs at in windowed is incredibly small for nearly EVERY platform out there.

- Coaching deciding tactics

Personally, I feel if you hire a decent enough coaching staff they should have an opinion on how your team should be playing. Such as deciding captains; alts, extra attackers. Hell, they may as well decide everything if they could!

Other than that, and the awesome suggestions above I'm very much liking what I'm seeing so far. Totally worth the $15 USD, also make sure to give that bug forum a look every now and then. ;)

Edit:

ONE MORE THING!

- Selecting default view

Personally I feel the 3D top-down model is pretty, but I'd rather be able to select boxscore as my default view since shootouts exclusively show up with it.

Well, you can "overload" your defensive pairings too.

Yes, but the shutdown defensemen are slotted into the 3rd pairing so that they work with the checking line to shut down the opponent's #1 unit. A necessary concession due to how the limited line-matching tactics currently work. Overloading the defense sees my shutdown pair get less ice-time in favour of my worst defensemen on the 2nd pairing. In the NHL it's typical for a coach to assign the best defender to contain the best forward of the opposition over a series, regardless of how forward lines are matching. In this game it's not possible to do that.

Yes, but the shutdown defensemen are slotted into the 3rd pairing so that they work with the checking line to shut down the opponent's #1 unit. A necessary concession due to how the limited line-matching tactics currently work. Overloading the defense sees my shutdown pair get less ice-time in favour of my worst defensemen on the 2nd pairing. In the NHL it's typical for a coach to assign the best defender to contain the best forward of the opposition over a series, regardless of how forward lines are matching. In this game it's not possible to do that.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I am not a fan of line matching, but I hope that the tactics system will be deeper as we go on with the EA process.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I am not a fan of line matching, but I hope that the tactics system will be deeper as we go on with the EA process.

Line match-ups can make or break a team's success in a series. It's a fundamental strategy, so I think it's essential for a hockey management simulation to do it right. Hopefully the football roots of the engine don't hold it back.

Would it be possible to implement zone starts? It would allow for exploitation lines and sending out specialized defensive lines for defensive zone faceoffs. I think zone starts are just as important in today's NHL as line matching.

Would it be possible to implement zone starts? It would allow for exploitation lines and sending out specialized defensive lines for defensive zone faceoffs. I think zone starts are just as important in today's NHL as line matching.

Excellent suggestion. I never even thought of it, but you're right, zone starts are probably just as important.

I would also like to be able to instruct a player to plant himself in front of the net. All hockey teams want to have that big body who's skilled with deflections plant himself next to the goalie, but there's no way to specify that right now. "Net Presence" should be one of the sliders available.

Excellent suggestion. I never even thought of it, but you're right, zone starts are probably just as important.

I would also like to be able to instruct a player to plant himself in front of the net. All hockey teams want to have that big body who's skilled with deflections plant himself next to the goalie, but there's no way to specify that right now. "Net Presence" should be one of the sliders available.

While your idea is definitely better than what we have now, you can kind of achieve that if you play around with the different offensive zone positioning, you can watch how players actually move in the tactics screen

While your idea is definitely better than what we have now, you can kind of achieve that if you play around with the different offensive zone positioning, you can watch how players actually move in the tactics screen

The movement on the tactics screen never works for me. I tick the box and it shows nothing. Sometimes it draws a few lines that help very little, and other times it doesn't work at all.. The dots actually move for you? The most I get is the lines, and it only ever shows the neutral zone attack / defense. I never get to see even movement lines for player positioning in the offensive zone. It seems broken, honestly. Sometimes the lines completely disappear, or they never change regardless of what tactics I choose.

The movement on the tactics screen never works for me. I tick the box and it shows nothing. Sometimes it draws a few lines that help very little, and other times it doesn't work at all.. The dots actually move for you? The most I get is the lines, and it only ever shows the neutral zone attack / defense. I never get to see even movement lines for player positioning in the offensive zone. It seems broken, honestly. Sometimes the lines completely disappear, or they never change regardless of what tactics I choose.

With the right click you can change the positioning of the puck on the different zones. Try yourself.

Archived