Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Manager profile - strangely enough, choosing Sunday League footballer as my past experience gave me a national reputation at the start.

Maybe a problem, but possibly because your managing in Iceland the national rep is a lot lower than national rep in England would be, if that makes sense.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just played my first match, and my new Argie striker scored his first hattrick. icon_smile.gif

Shame my new GK, who could be a star, decided to have an off day. icon13.gif

My first match

I signed a new GK, 2 centre backs, a new striker and some youth players. I'm hoping to add a couple of more players.

I've got a €70k budget, after adjusting the budgets. I had a €8k a week salary budget, while I only used about 1.5k.

Anyhow, I expect I can stay up with my current team.

gonna give this challenge a go once i've given Worksop a go on the dafuge challenge. first time doing any of these challenges (used to take easy option of either teams from established leagues or my beloved sheffield wednesday) so 'honing my skills' in England first.

i do like the idea of these challenges.... good luck to everyone doing this.

Originally posted by Clarence Seedorf:

Just played my first match, and my new Argie striker scored his first hattrick. icon_smile.gif

My first match

I signed a new GK, 2 centre backs, a new striker and some youth players. I'm hoping to add a couple of more players.

I've got a €70k budget, after adjusting the budgets. I had a €8k a week salary budget, while I only used about 1.5k.

Good luck with FK Zeleznicar. icon14.gif

Did you get any real players in the sqaud when you took over or where they all 'greys'?

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Don't wind him up dafuge icon_biggrin.gif.

You know how tetchy he dets when he realises that Burda will forever live in the shadow of the legend that is Super Kyle icon_wink.gif.

Shadows, please icon_rolleyes.gif

Burda, he's the man he willeclispse the so and so kyle or whatever his name is Jimbo icon_wink.gif

Gundo, apologies for not being around to support you in your argument with Jimbo and co. There will only ever be one Patrik "The Legend" Burda!

A few questions for the supporters of SuperKyle!

(1) Did he win a Champions League winners medal?

(2) Did he win a Premiership Champions medal?

(3) Did he win the Premiership Player of the Year award?

icon_rolleyes.gif (thinks for the briefest of moments) erm.......no!

Did Burda? Yes icon_biggrin.gif

Case closed!!!! icon_cool.gif

Oh, on another note i'll be doing this in a short while once Mangotsfield are crowned champions of Europe icon_wink.gif

(1) Did he win a Champions League winners medal?

It's not his fault that I'm a carp manager icon_biggrin.gif.

Did Burda get to the World Cup Final amaged by the AI?

I think not icon_wink.gif.

World Cup 2014 Top scorer.

World Cup 2014 Dream Team.

More than 50 International goals managed by AI.

I thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(1) Did he win a Champions League winners medal?

It's not his fault that I'm a carp manager icon_biggrin.gif.

Did Burda get to the World Cup Final amaged by the AI?

I think not icon_wink.gif.

World Cup 2014 Top scorer.

World Cup 2014 Dream Team.

More than 50 International goals managed by AI.

I thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm i best check on that! I'll get back to you on that one Jimbo!! icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clarence Seedorf:

My first match

Good luck with FK Zeleznicar. icon14.gif

Did you get any real players in the sqaud when you took over or where they all 'greys'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plenty of real players, which should make it slightly easier. I thought they were alright, until I played some other teams in my league in friendlies, I got hammered. So I'm in the process of offloading most of them currently.

I feel it's a tad to easy to sign players of decent quality, mainly those that are transfer listed at clubs in the highest division. Whether that's just in Serbia, or due to FM08, I'm not sure.

The scouting knowledge is screwed up though, I've got a pretty decent knowledge of Denmark. Sweden and Norway, despite having a Dutch nationality and know sweet FA about Scandinavian football IRL. Maybe I've got an in-game Scandinavian missus, who knows. icon_wink.gif

Magni, Icelandic First Division, 2008

The board wanted us to fight bravely relegation, but didn't help matters at all by setting the maximum wage I could offer to 30 pounds p/w. Because of this I signed mainly lower division players, and we were a class below the top and mid-table teams in our division.

We never really left the vicinity of the bottom of the table, fortunately the other promoted team, Tindastóll, were utterly hopeless and managed only 4 points all season, which left only one relegation place to take. We were the early favourites, at one point going on a run of 7 losses with no goals scored. Our form picked up somewhat in the last third of the season, and we needed at least a draw in the final match against KS/Leiftur to stay up at their expense. A tense match that saw a valid goal for KS/Leiftur disallowed, two valid penalties to us not given and a player sent off for them finally ended 3:2 in our favour, which meant we would be competing in the same division in the following season.

League table

Best players:

Eyþór Páll Ãsgeirsson - top scorer, it was his goals that kept us up.

Hörður I Harðarsson - best midfielder.

Björn Sverrisson - joined midway through the season and got a very respectable average rating, also scoring some crucial goals from midfield.

So far it's proving more difficult than FM07, mainly due to the draconian wage restrictions... and I'm loving it icon_wink.gif

This should be fun, I've gone for Turkey and it's the first time i play in that league so it will be interesting.

This is me

The team i've gone for is Keciörengücü.

Some of my players

I've got a squad full of players and a chairman who is looking to get out.

No transfer budget for the season and the club has a balance of 30k, let's hope it will be much higher in a few years time.

Media Prediction: 10th

Team Long term expectations: Do what i can to survive in the Second Division in the 2 years my contract lasts.

25 p/w! Now there is difficulty for you. icon_eek.gif

It's a good job you are enjoying the added difficulty managing in Iceland, with that nation having the lowest reputation. I think Iceland is going to be the most fashionable place to manage in this years challenge, taking the place of Northern Ireland from being most popular in Fm07.

Originally posted by Sazchu:

This should be fun, I've gone for Turkey and it's the first time i play in that league so it will be interesting.

This is me

The team i've gone for is Keciörengücü.

Some of my players

I've got a squad full of players and a chairman who is looking to get out.

No transfer budget for the season and the club has a balance of 30k, let's hope it will be much higher in a few years time.

Media Prediction: 10th

Team Long term expectations: Do what i can to survive in the Second Division in the 2 years my contract lasts.

Best of luck Sazchu, a full sqaud of players aswell. icon14.gif

*****First hot-seat entries into Gundo's challenge*****

Jimbokav1971. I have taken over Clough Rangers.

JimbokavJr1996. I have taken over Kilmore Rec.

We are both playing the game at the same time on one pc, so the posts with pics will come under this username, however Harry, (JimbokavJr1996), may post under his own username at times.

We are both playing the game at the same time on one pc, so the posts with pics will come under this username, however Harry, (JimbokavJr1996), may post under his own username at times.

Best of luck to both of you, especially Jr at Kilmore Rec icon14.gif

Interesting... Good luck to both of you. icon14.gif

I think my moneys on Jimbo Jr winning now that target men aren't as influential as they where in FM07. icon_biggrin.gif

1st league game didnt go too well!!!

1st Game!!!

However I did well in the Intermediate cup group beating Carrick of Div 1 and drawing with Tobermore, also of Div 1, but i lost the other two against Div 2 teams!!

I have signed a promising 'keeper in Andrew Wright but he has only had one decent performance in the 1-1 draw with Tobermore and seems quite error-prone!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Good luck with that Jimbo. icon14.gif

JimbokavJr1996 posting......

Hey!

What about me icon_biggrin.gif? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I did consider you but kinda forgot to put it in. icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck though. icon14.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

My striker is asking for too much money! icon_biggrin.gif

This challenge looks like it shall be fun. icon14.gif

I'm considering starting up after I've done my first season on dafuge's challenge. I might end up alternating after each season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm doing dafuge's challenge mainly at the moment, just took a break to choose my team for this challenge.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

My striker is asking for too much money! icon_biggrin.gif

I think it would be great if it told you what their other job was when their not playing or training, for part-time players. Perhaps that could be one for FM09... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Careful with that one Gundo! You'd just then get loads of requests in GQ for the manager to be able to have another job too!

I've signed the lad up full-time anyway, even though he was in my squad from the start, my Assman thinks he'd be a decent Premier Division player icon14.gif

Kalmar AIK FK - Second Season (2009)

Swedish First Division North[\b]

My firt season in the third level of swedish football.

My balance is awful and keeps dropping. With a wage budget of 28k€ per month (22k€ last year) and

a wonderful 0€ transfer budget, I was not able to improve the team much.

So that the team is basically the same that won the promotion last year.

2009 transfers

2009 Squad

My three new players :

Andreas Karlsson

Martin Michalski

PE Bourdeau

This year was not very exciting. I was around the 8th place from the start to the end.

The team was not consistent at all, winning away games against 1st tier team, then losing at home against scrubs...

League Table

First Division Players Stats

2009 Squad Stats

At the very beginning of the season, we played in the swedish cup against the mighty Halmstad team => ARGG.

I'm now building a competitive team for next year. I feel I won't be far from the promotion.

Seeing as how i aint done a challenge before, my managing skills are average and i have never managed anywhere out of england since CM4 i decided to go for Iceland which has the lowest league reputation. Lets see how many clubs i can get through icon_rolleyes.gif

choosing to start the game in december 2007, its 2009 by the time im in a job as Reynir manager. 1000 capacity stadium, club is approximatly worth £65k.

We're currently in the middle of a take over bid which could see an influx of cash or me being booted out the door before i put the pictures of the kids in my office.

Media reckon an 11th placed finish (relegation) but me assistant reckons comfortable mid table. So who knows?

Profile: http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/BuryFanSte/profile.jpg

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my Assman thinks he'd be a decent Premier Division player Thumbs Up

You got a screenie of his stats? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure thing.

There you go

Really nothing special at all, I think it might just be my Assman being feckless, but we'll see.

Also picked up '07 favourite Paul Conlon who again doesn't look that great but my Assman thinks he's good enough for the Premier Division too.

This year I've decided to take part in this excellent challenge, which will serve as my LLM-save too icon14.gif

I took over a tiny team from Istambul, Anadolu Üsküdar 1908 Spor (short A. Üsküdar). Stadium capacity is 4000, financial status OK, no staff, board wants to attempt to avoid relegation. We have two affiliations, it looks like the standard setup for Turkish clubs: a parent and a feeder.

The Turkish Second League is surely the most complicated championship in Europe. I had to draw a graph to understand what is going on icon_biggrin.gif Looks like a hellish place, too icon_biggrin.gif

Meet me:

mgqn8.th.jpg

good luck emgergo icon14.gif I remember that in CM 01/02 it was possible for the board's confidence to drop from delighted to angry after one loss in a derby match in Turkey, wonder if it still works that way icon_wink.gif

Magni, Icelandic First Division 2009

After just barely surviving the previous year, the board decided that the going hasn't been tough enough and slashed my wage budget by half, also lowering the maximum wage I could offer to 20 pounds per week. It was rather unsurprising that we had a terrible start, failing to score in the first 8 games, and this time there was no Tindastoll to book the last place far in advance. We managed to turn things a bit in the second half of the season, and it again it all came down to the last match, only this time a draw wouldn't be enough. After a nail-biting 90 minutes we just barely managed to overcome Völsungur by 2 goals to 1 and stay up.

League table - same position and points total as last year, defence a bit tighter icon14.gif but up front we were awful icon13.gif

Best players:

Þorbjörn Atli Sveinsson - after Ãsgeirsson picked up a serious injury, Þorbjörn stepped up and scored the crucial goals that kept us up.

Björgvin Freyr Vilhjálmsson - decent season from the defensive midfielder.

good luck emgergo. I remember that in CM 01/02 it was possible for the board's confidence to drop from delighted to angry after one loss in a derby match in Turkey, wonder if it still works that way

Thanks icon14.gif I've just looked at the rivals list. We apparantly hate half the teams in Istambul icon_biggrin.gif

Sazchu!

Didn't you have any problems with players registration for the Turkish second division? I've had a news item coming on 1st July to register players. No chance to register the new signings since then, although the rules say, registration is continous from 1st July to 1st September, coinciding with the summer transfer window. All the other teams have this problem too. This might be a bug, but I'm not sure.

At the current stage about 40% of the league's players are ineligible.

Any ideas from anyone who has managed in the Turkish 2nd Division?

Archived