Young Player Development - Loans, or Youth Teams?

Hola,

Been wondering about this for a while... has anyone got any theories on how best to develop young players?

Managing a top league side (now), I have a good crop of youngsters that should ultimately develop reasonably well. What I'm never sure of, though, is when it's a good time to expose them to first team footy. Not necessarily my team - even sending them out for loans. Am I better off doing this while they're young? Or should I try to develop them through the U18's and U21's before considering this?

Anyone got any useful info to share?

Cheers

Matt

I just sub in for 20 mins (every week 2 or 3 diferent youngsters that are good) so even my u21 get a rotation at age of 19-20 i loan them out and make sure they are guaranteed first team at age 20-21 they get subs in my first team and its my make or break time for any youngster want to play

managed to turn ibe,kent,wilson,sinclair,oyo,loyd jones,chivirella,rossiter,(ledson from everton,ajer,joe gomez) good stats ( some are actually bad but they play good when they play ) im at 4 season now and they all are now vying for first team i sold most of the liverpool squad and my average age is 21 lol

It all depends on what you want. If you want the player to become the best player possible then loaning him out will halt or delay this because you lose time on moulding him into the player you want. It wouldn't be as bad if you could instruct the loaning club to carry on developing how you currently are but this isn't an option. So loaning him out you lose training time, can't tutor and can't teach him PPM's.

It depends on the player. Some players need moulding. Others just need a little polishing. If a player comes through with a lot of potential and professional personality and no clear holes in their game that need sorting, then a couple of loan stints and they'll be ready for the first team. If you have a potential world beater with an unambitious personality say he has poor heading technique despite being very tall. You may have to keep this guy around in the reserves, give him a mentor to improve his attitude, and have him work hard on his heading to get the best out of his jumping reach advantage.

It all depends on what you want. If you want the player to become the best player possible then loaning him out will halt or delay this because you lose time on moulding him into the player you want. It wouldn't be as bad if you could instruct the loaning club to carry on developing how you currently are but this isn't an option. So loaning him out you lose training time, can't tutor and can't teach him PPM's.

In FM14 you could start training a PPM before loaning him out and it would progress as normal. Not saying that makes it a good idea to loan a player out, but it was possible.

In FM14 you could start training a PPM before loaning him out and it would progress as normal. Not saying that makes it a good idea to loan a player out, but it was possible.

It wasn't in from the start and it was added as an update later on, but it didn't function correctly and didn't always work anyway.

Cleon, in previous versions of FM I always agreed with you that loans never seemed particularly beneficial to player development, and that keeping them in the youth/reserve squad generally seemed like the better option.

However, I've come to a place in my Dortmund career where the reserve squad has been relegated to the 4th division. So any experience they get there is going to be VERY low level. Does this make a loan more attractive option for players in the 19-23 year old range? Or is the higher quality of training they're getting at Dortmund going to offset any gains achieved by getting first team experience in a higher division?

Also, what intensity settings do you use in training? I have both team and individual training set to "average" intensity for both senior and youth training, but I was wondering if maybe I want to train youth at high intensity to get them ready for the first team quicker.

If you have good training facilities than keep the players. Along with tutoring and PPM training it's better to keep them close. The AI is expert in dubious training decisions (such as adapting players to the weridest positions, training focus on single attributes, etc).

It depends on the type of manager you are and the type of squad you have.

Big squad? Probably gonna have to loan kids out to get more 1st team experience

Small squad? Probably gonna have to rely on the kids to give depth to the squad / fill in for injuries and etc.

At some point loaning players is a necessity, and sometimes it's just not worth it.

Personally I prefer to loan out players who I know will not get into my 1st team, but I'll keep hold of those who are particularly good / have good potential so I can train them at my club the way I want. Also, I like to keep a deep squad, so having young players step in from time to time is really helpful.

With my current PSG team, I've got 3 young players (Savitsky, Carrasco, and Lucas Moura) who can fill in for my regular 3 forwards (Ibra, Lavezzi, Cavani).

Unless you can lend out the player to a top tier club as key player, your local training ground is going to be better.

You lose out on tutoring and PPM development.

You don't get them club trained if you lend them out. (Need 8 club/nation trained spots in your team after all, not sure it makes the player worth more for selling)

The rule of thumb is something like, keep them at home until they reach a point where they are good players, but have problems breaking into your first team.

Archived