FM15 : Liverpool FC - Re-rebuilding, all over again

cezar.sl

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished 2017/18 by missing the title by 2 points and losing the Champions League final 0-1. But it was a great season. The first half was poor, inconsistent and home, consistently terrible away from home. No-one was scoring, injuries disrupted the backline etc. At Christmas, I was 6th, 15 points off the top. The second half the season was unbelievable. After a 0-1 defeat at Old Trafford in mid-January, I went completely unbeaten - until the Champions League Final. I won four games against City - two in the League Cup and two in the Champions League - I also beat Arsenal and PSG home and away in the Champions League. I beat Chelsea, Everton and Spurs away, Arsenal and high-flying Southampton at home, I won the last 5 league games, but I just couldn't catch Utd. The Champions League final was tough, at the San Siro playing Bayern Munich. They scored after 7 minutes from a corner, and it was then a fairly even game, but we couldn't score.

Onto 2018/19, I need to find a way of getting Sterling, Henderson, Wanyama, Depay, Tielemans, Alli and a striker into the same team. They are all outstanding players but I have to keep leaving Tielemans out for the sake of balance, and I want him to stay at the club. I feel like I want to sign a world-class player to lift them team to the next level. I think a striker is the logical choice because although Sturridge, Rescaldini and Origi have all been top scorers for a season, their other seasons have been pretty poor. I really want Gabriel Barbosa, I think. He seems like an ideal choice but he's at Bayern so I'm going to have to come up with a ridiculous offer.

EDIT: To the fella above, Sinclair made it into my first team squad in 16/17 but I had to drop him to the u21s this season. I want him at the club, because he does score when he gets a bit of time on the pitch, but I just know he's not quite good enough.

well into my first season since I had to change laptops. really getting annoyed with a few players constantly moaning about not getting game time every week. You give them 1 game and then someone else is complaining that you are playing them because they had a word with you. even tho is was simply down to injuries as to why they played.

going to try and sell Balotelli in Jan as he's doing nothing for me

So far in the PL I have played 12 games. Sitting top of the league, seem to have found a consistent tactic

W 9 D 2 L 1 so far. very happy with how we are playing

Top of my CL group as well and with 2 games to go. just need draw to go through. Have Juve, Schalke & Salzburg in the group. have Juve H & Schalke A to play

Into the Quarters of the LC and have a Home tie against Man City

Formation is a bit strange. play a sort of 451/442 GK RB CB CB LB DM(A) CM(RP) CM(AP) AML(IF) AMR/ST(F9) ST(P) - The AMR/ST is positioned in the right sided forward position just off the striker. seems to be working ok for Sterling, Lacazette

Squad

GK: mignolet, Horn

RB: Peruzzi, Manquillo

LB: Moreno, Flanagan

CB: Sahko, Lovern, Balanta, Vallejo

CM: Stevie, Can, Lucas Silva, Ruben Neves, Suso, Verratti, Henderson

AML/AMR: Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic, Lallana, Wilson

St: Sturridge, Lacazette, Balotelli, Lambert

I don't think i'll bother giving Lallana & Balotelli the full season. neither are doing anything when played and Lallana just gets injured every other game.

if I can sell both i'll try and find a proper DM for the Anchor role. really need to get someone in for that who can dominate the position.

Havent offered Stevie a new deal yet. undecided really but know I wont be able to see him leave the team, hoping if I leave it long enough I can get him on a Player/Coach deal

Didn´t want to stay, and was only rates 2,5 star. Replaced him with Kovacic, who really is a quality signing.

I know his PA isn't set so you may of gotten him on the low side but i always find him brilliant in the CM (AP) role. Kovacic is quality as well. 1 of my main targets for season 2 in the game. have him & Verratti rotating

Lambert scored 19 goals in my save & is keeping Balotelli out of the team

i'm playing lambert ahead of Balo now. Balo moans no matter what. lambert complaint about not getting game time, I told him I would let him leave but had to start him in the next game and he scored 4 in that game. so I've played him since ahead of Balo.

i'm playing lambert ahead of Balo now. Balo moans no matter what. lambert complaint about not getting game time, I told him I would let him leave but had to start him in the next game and he scored 4 in that game. so I've played him since ahead of Balo.
Had him & Sturridge out for long term injuries played Lambert as a lone striker & has scored him & Sturridge will be my 1st choice till seasons end then ill use Origi in season 2 ahead of Lambert will sell Balotelli as well

Had him & Sturridge out for long term injuries played Lambert as a lone striker & has scored him & Sturridge will be my 1st choice till seasons end then ill use Origi in season 2 ahead of Lambert will sell Balotelli as well

i'm looking at Dybala from Palermo or Barbosa as signings for season 2 to go with Sturridge & Origi. I'll continue to use Lacazette off my main striker or on the right as an AMR

I'm 2 months into my Liverpool save now, and Sterling, Coutinho and Balotelli have been amazing so far for me. Highlight of the season so far has been the 0-3 away win at The Etihad, with over 60% possession. I would post some screens but I'm currently at work now so I don't have access to my laptop. I can't really recall my exact tactics as I micromanage a fair bit with both Team and Player Instructions, but the following is roughly what I do.

I alternate between two tactics; one for Possession à la Barcelona 2008-2012, and the other in the style of Klopp's Dortmund. Both use a 4-2-3-1 shape, with 2 players in the MC strata, one central AM, and 2 wide AM's. Both also have the defensive line set to the highest possible, and fludity, tackling & closing down at maximum. This may seem a little extreme, but as of the current ME (15.1.3), teams, regardless of their players, are universally pants at defending, so this actually makes sense (to me, anyway) for two reasons. Firstly, if they don't have the ball, the opposition can't score. Secondly, despite the recent hotfix, keepers and defenders still don't really know how to deal with balls into your area effectively; thus, it would be best to stop the delivery at its source. I'm not claiming by any means that my tactics are defensively sound (because they're not really; you will still concede goals), but they dovetail nicely with the board's agreed philosophies and they will make you nowhere near as vulnerable as they appear to be.

I'm not going to touch on the rest of the team's Player Instructions (because this post is getting way too long and your question was about Sterling) except for the 3 of the front 4 which I use (namely; Sterling on the right wing, Coutinho in the center, and Balotelli up front). You can probably use Sterling on the left without any problems, since I have Depay there with exactly the same PI's.

Sterling plays as a Raumdeuter. Why this role? Well, for one, it allows you to create overloads in the wide areas because Raumdeuters sit narrow by default, allowing my RB (Mattia De Sciglio) to overlap. I dislike Inside Forwards because they tend to cross the ball more, which doesn't aid in keeping possession. With Raumdeuters on Cross Less Often, this will often result in cutbacks to unmarked players on the edge of the area or just outside the box, which regularly culminates in either a good attempt on goal. What is important is that you set him to mark the opposing fullback; this will make him track back and help in winning back possession. Allow him to Roam from Position, with the other Instructions depending on your base tactic.

As for Coutinho, he plays in the centre as a Shadow Striker, with Run Wide With Ball & Roam from Position checked. Balotelli, for me, is a False Nine with the same basic PI's. What this results in is very good movement, which is vital in slow, possession-based tactics if you are actually trying to score. Sterling (since he has the Cut Inside PPM, together with his role as a Raumdeuter), will often arrive in space within the area, where he can either score himself or provide an assist. Please note that for Balotelli and Coutinho, I find that Run Wide with Ball & Roam from Position are both absolutely essential in creating good movement. Roam from Position is obviously a requirement for the False Nine role, and the Shadow Striker to a certain extent, but without Run Wide with Ball, you will find that Balotelli often drops deep, with Coutinho pushing up, into the same areas, getting in each other's way. Under Run Wide with Ball, this gives them a bit more leeway for lateral, in addition to vertical movement, which can create some beautiful interplay. This will sometimes result in the following situation; Balotelli pulls out diagonally from the six yard box, Coutinho makes a run in (hopefully also diagonally) and Sterling breaks free in the area (towards the near post) due to the confusion caused by those two. I usually also have either a Roaming Playmaker lurking just outside the penalty box or a BBM attacking the ball from deep.

If anyone is interested, I can post my tactics later tonight when I get back from work.

Cheers.

I'd love to see your tactics (both variations).

I have been struggling to get into a game since the beta, but I'm a little bit inspired by how badly Liverpool are doing and am giving them a go.

I have off loaded lucas for 8.5m over 48 months, plus 15 mil after 50 games and 50% of the next transfer, borini for 20 mil over 48 months and 50% and Johnson for 17.5 mil straight cash.

I could have gotten bids for lucas for more money spread over the 48 months but they always failed (the bidders were altetico and roma who presumably have low budgets).

I'm using that go buy in Reus, a right back (either Maicon as a stop gap or a young ptospect), Balanta and possibly also Wilshere or Khadeira with the payments spread over 48 months (and backed by my borini money).

I know his PA isn't set so you may of gotten him on the low side but i always find him brilliant in the CM (AP) role. Kovacic is quality as well. 1 of my main targets for season 2 in the game. have him & Verratti rotating

My best signing is Memphis Depay, really recommend singning him. He scores between 17-20 goals in the league each season.

My best signing is Memphis Depay, really recommend singning him. He scores between 17-20 goals in the league each season.

He was awesome for me in the BETA. I've not signed him in this save, i'm in my second season... He's still at PSV and scoring regularly from them. I may go in for him at the end of the season.

Apologies for a lack of updates on my save recently. Truth be told i've not managed to get on it much (been playing Destiny when i've been home). Will throw up an update once i've got through January window.

10 league games played now and sitting joint top with 7 wins and 3 draws. However a tough champions league group and shown that my tactics may need some work after being completely out played at Barca (lost 3-1, they had over 40 shots!) and Juventus (lost 4-2). So far I think I have not had a game where a player hasn't gone off injured. Balotelli scored twice on his come back from a broken arm so hopefully he can stay fit as my other fowards are struggling at the moment.

I'd love to see your tactics (both variations).

Will post them up later tonight when I get home (I seem to be on here only when I'm at work, which doesn't say much for my productivity).

Another interesting thing I've noticed from playing Balo as a F9 is that when attacks break down, he is usually in a deeper position than Coutinho/Lallana, he actually does some defending! I'm now in November (I progress slowly, I know, but I watch all matches and make tactical tweaks) and I've seen Balo actually defending near my corner flags.

I might look at him. hoping to sign Rues but if he proves too expensive on wages I may go in for Depay. just really want to sign a world star on the game instead of always looking at potential

up to the 20th of December in season 1

have finished top of my CL group after beaten Juve in the final group game to jump ahead of them. Got Dortmund in the 2nd round which im happy about as Bayern had also finished 2nd in their group and were the ones to avoid.

am through to the semi's of the LC where I got Wigan in the draw, Arsenal v Chelsea is the other semi

In the PL I am flying. on a 15 game unbeaten run in all comps and playing really well. have a 4 point lead over United and the xmas period will make or break the season. if we can stay unbeaten I think I could pull an 8-10 point gap by the end of Jan which would give me a great chance of getting the title

Balotelli has asked to leave due to lack of games which I've said I will allow him to go and Lallana is constantly moaning. So i'll spend Jan trying to get rid of both. will offer them out a few days before the window opens to see if I can get any bids. don't really mind if it effect my summer budget.

how is Can doing for everyone, I might have to sell him and he isn't excelling in any of my midfield Roles, I play (DM)Anchor, (CM)Roaming playmaker & (CM)Attacking Playmaker. will probably have to wait until the end of the season to sell him tho. might try looking at CB's who can also play DM for this role

how is Can doing for everyone, I might have to sell him and he isn't excelling in any of my midfield Roles, I play (DM)Anchor, (CM)Roaming playmaker & (CM)Attacking Playmaker. will probably have to wait until the end of the season to sell him tho. might try looking at CB's who can also play DM for this role

My tactical set-up is probably different from yours, but I usually play Can as a BWM(S) or a BBM alongside Verratti, who's a DLP(D) for me. Hendo is first choice for me though, as a RP or BBM.

I might look at him. hoping to sign Rues but if he proves too expensive on wages I may go in for Depay. just really want to sign a world star on the game instead of always looking at potential

I got him for 160k a week, and giving him a fairly hefty signing bonus and a 5-10% cut of his next transfer. He also wanted a release clause, which I got to 73 million so if he goes for that it will leave him with enough to get a replacement if I haven't grown one by then.

While the wages are hefty, it's not far off what I saved just by shifting lucas, Johnson, skrtel and borini and bringing in better value replacements. I also offered all those players out on 48 month instalments and generally got well over double their value as a result so I should have a fairly healthy income stream over the next 4 years to compensate, by which time I will have likely money balled my way to riches.

X

Will post them up later tonight when I get home (I seem to be on here only when I'm at work, which doesn't say much for my productivity).

Another interesting thing I've noticed from playing Balo as a F9 is that when attacks break down, he is usually in a deeper position than Coutinho/Lallana, he actually does some defending! I'm now in November (I progress slowly, I know, but I watch all matches and make tactical tweaks) and I've seen Balo actually defending near my corner flags.

Thanks. I tried a similar set- up in a friendly against a pretty low rep Chinese team and was 7-0 up by halftime (unloaded the bench and let a load of reserves play after that). I went for Sterling as a winger (support) on the right and Suso on the left as raumdeuter (in anticipation of Reus' return to fitness). Hard to get any real feedback from such weak opposition but at least going forward we were getting into good positions.

How have you played Sturridge?

And can I take it Balotelli's low team work/work rate (one of the two, can't remeber) hasn't hindered his performances as f9?

I

X

Thanks. I tried a similar set- up in a friendly against a pretty low rep Chinese team and was 7-0 up by halftime (unloaded the bench and let a load of reserves play after that). I went for Sterling as a winger (support) on the right and Suso on the left as raumdeuter (in anticipation of Reus' return to fitness). Hard to get any real feedback from such weak opposition but at least going forward we were getting into good positions.

How have you played Sturridge?

And can I take it Balotelli's low team work/work rate (one of the two, can't remeber) hasn't hindered his performances as f9?

Posting from my phone here, so forgive me if the spelling or formatting isn't up to scratch.

Balo has the stats for being a world class striker for any role, except Work Rate, Teamwork and Off the Ball. Workrate and Off the Ball might possibly be linked (though I'm not really sure). Generally playing as a F9 means you don't need him to run around a lot; you want him to drop deep, receive the ball, and play an onrushing runner in. The only thing that stops him from being REALLY good at being a F9 is his low Teamwork and his Shoots from Distance PPM. This can be really annoying due to his tendency to take speculative shots when your runners are in space. That's fine though for me: I spread play across to the wings quite a fair bit as well so actually the most important thing he does is to vacate his original position, drop deep, and hopefully drag a defender (or three) out so Couts/Lallana has space to do the real damage.

On another tangent, it's quite funny how Mancini and Mourinho have been saying for years how he has everything to be the best (pace, power, skill)but is let down by his application. FM reflects this in the game as well.

As for Sturridge, despite how much I like him, I sold him and Borini off first thing since; all his pace would be wasted dropping deep (he operates best stretching defences vertically IMO, which playing with the highest line possible and maximum closing down doesn't give you the space necessary), Balo and Lambert are new arrivals (and so would be hard to shift), and I don't need 5 strikers fighting for one position. Sinclair is a pretty decent prospect so I've only been giving Lambert minimum game time.

I want to try a vary formations a bit on this save, and have a mix of 4-2-3-1 (both wide and narrow versions) and 4-3-1-2 diamond.

I've aged with either 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 for the last 5 versions or so and am kinda sick of always signing similar players. Want to try and get a two striker combination going, but not having as much joy implementing it as I'd like.

So I want to keep Sturridge and Balo together, using Sturridge on the wings at times.

How do you play the opposite wing to Sterling?

Can is good utility player so i use him on low table teams etc I would like to know ho much you can offload both balo and llana as (balo long shot is really hard to play with and lalana is so weak)

I sold Balotelli for £28.5m in January, first season. Signed Bony to replace him.

I sold Balotelli for £28.5m in January, first season. Signed Bony to replace him.

I've found offering players out over 48 months really helps you get higher over fees. The downside is that you get less in your pocket immediately but hopefully after a year or two it should lead to some serious revenues and will encourage the board to be fairly free with the money.

I usually ask for 50% of the next transfer as well so should lead to some nice lump sums in a few years - even if I just sell the clause off.

Can is good utility player so i use him on low table teams etc I would like to know ho much you can offload both balo and llana as (balo long shot is really hard to play with and lalana is so weak)

I sold Balotelli to Dortmund for 35 million after the 2nd season. Lallana i sold to Arsenal for 13,75 million after the 1st season.

Just finished my 3rd season with Liverpool. Only managed to win the Club World Championship and the Premier League this season. Lost to Bayern in the semi final in CL. Still haven't won any of the English cups. Have always played a weak team in Capital One and been unlucky in FA Cup. Target for next season is to win PL, CL and FA-Cup. Just finished my transfers for the summer, and with a new transfer record, maybe waste of money.

IN:

Jack Butland (Stoke City) - 9,5 million

Munir (Barcelona) - 63 million

Kingsley Coman (Juventus) - 20 million

Total: 92,5 million

Out:

Simon Mignolet (Swansea City) - 7,25 million

Luciano Vietto (Sampdoria) - 10 million

Youri Tielemans (Wesr Ham United) - Loan

Lloyd Jones (Reading) - 675k

Suso (Arsenal) - 22 million

Total: 40 million

Had a poor 1st season finished 9th got to the 1s rd of the knockout stage of the champions league & lost early in both cups Lambert was my top scorer 23 goals in all comps no europen football means my 2nd season is gonna be a challenge gonna change to the 4-2-3-1 formation instead of the 4-4-2 diamond

Anyone else have getting annoyed at players looking to start every week.

Ever other day it seems balotelli or lallana or Allen are saying they should start

What are your mental stats?

From what I understand, the higher your discipline attribute, the less likely players are to come to you with complaints.

Had a £9m bid accepted for Kwadwo Asamoah, seems quite low for him. He'll come in at the start of the second season. Will probably try to sell Enrique, and then Asamoah can cover the LB, LW and CM positions. Nearing the end of the first season, will be looking to sign a right back and maybe a centre back in the summer. Oh and Sociedad look like they'll be relegated, so will go in for Rulli. Not convinced by Mignolet.

Had a £9m bid accepted for Kwadwo Asamoah, seems quite low for him. He'll come in at the start of the second season. Will probably try to sell Enrique, and then Asamoah can cover the LB, LW and CM positions. Nearing the end of the first season, will be looking to sign a right back and maybe a centre back in the summer. Oh and Sociedad look like they'll be relegated, so will go in for Rulli. Not convinced by Mignolet.

Rulli is a world class signing! Bought him before the 2nd season for 21 million. In his next two season he had a average rating on 6.97 and 6.87, and 19 and 13 clean sheets. This is only in Premier League.

looking around our player ive noticed lovren has low composure (hence higher chance of him sucking up from pressure) always have low rating for me. Anyone have sold him for how much?

Anyone have played with a defensive forward was thinking of using henderson and gaston gil romero for such job

looking around our player ive noticed lovren has low composure (hence higher chance of him sucking up from pressure) always have low rating for me. Anyone have sold him for how much?

Anyone have played with a defensive forward was thinking of using henderson and gaston gil romero for such job

i'll be looking to sell Lovern after season 1 is over.

AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

just lost the first leg of my 2nd rd CL match against Dortmund 2-0 Hummels scoring 2 Volleys. then they had a man sent off. we absolutely dominate 30 shots 12 on target and cannot score!!!!!!! I hate these games

Archived