Which FM did Messi 1st appeared in?

He has been one of the best in england and top 10 in europe on occasions but i would say he has never been world class when compared with the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, And those are the players he is up against in his generation

Come on. If we are going to compare everybody to Messi and Ronaldo nobody else of this generation is world class. I would go even further than that and say hardly anyone in history really compares to those two in terms of consistency, goals and assists. Even legendary players like Johan Cruyff have said that Messi is probably the best player ever.

Come on. If we are going to compare everybody to Messi and Ronaldo nobody else of this generation is world class. I would go even further than that and say hardly anyone in history really compares to those two in terms of consistency, goals and assists. Even legendary players like Johan Cruyff have said that Messi is probably the best player ever.

Cruyff is being modest, He didn't need to be that good and neither did the others. They played on worse pitches sure but even so the bottom line is Messi and Ronaldo are the best there is now, And Rooney is way behind them even at his best....But he is Englands best almost certainly. At his 100% best Rooney couldn't win a game single handed and the other 2 could

Not belittling Rooney but he has to be compared to those and that means he isn't world class, He is just top class

Rooney has never been world-class? ROTFL. Do people here actually watch real life football at all? :))

Actually I do watch plenty of real life football. I also played, scouted and currently coach. Therefore I can say that Rooney has never been world-class, he was always overrated....a lot and apparently continues to be so.

Tbf, there are plenty of people who cannot stand Rooney and think he's utter crap. Many of them are Manchester United fans in fact. And towards the end of Sir Alex's career, he did occasionally play Rooney as a central midfielder (for one reason or another). It's one of the reasons why he wasn't happy at United around the time everyone thought he made a second transfer request.

As far as Rooney, Messi, and anyone else for that matter is concerned, there are players who've been overrated and players who have been underrated in the game. That's just the nature of the game. At the end of the day, it's all based on the opinion of whoever the researcher.

At the same time I feel like a lot of people say a player is overrated because they see a bunch of big numbers, but don't really understand what each of those numbers represents or what those numbers actually do. At least in my experience.

Not being as good as two of the greatest players of all time doesn't mean a player isn't world class... It's subjective but to me a world class player is somebody who is one of the very best in their position and rooney at his best was undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the world, to suggest otherwise just shows a clear bias against him

Not being as good as two of the greatest players of all time doesn't mean a player isn't world class... It's subjective but to me a world class player is somebody who is one of the very best in their position and rooney at his best was undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the world, to suggest otherwise just shows a clear bias against him

for a season, yes

but anyone can fluke a good year

Forssell did well for a year, did that make him world class?

imo, he hasn't really backed it up (for one reason or another) and that only makes him a very good player, rather than the world-beater that he was touted to be when he first moved to ManUtd

Cruyff is being modest, He didn't need to be that good and neither did the others. They played on worse pitches sure but even so the bottom line is Messi and Ronaldo are the best there is now, And Rooney is way behind them even at his best....But he is Englands best almost certainly. At his 100% best Rooney couldn't win a game single handed and the other 2 could

Not belittling Rooney but he has to be compared to those and that means he isn't world class, He is just top class

Cruyff has never been modest and never will be. I'm Dutch I should know. I can give you millions of examples (both from past and present) to back that up.

And I say again: If we are going to compare everybody to Messi and Ronaldo, according to your reckoning nobody else is world class. That's just idiotic.

People seem to forget that out of the three players, Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi. Rooney was considered the most gifted around 2004-2005. Of course he made his mark on the professional game much earlier but it is only in the latter years that Rooney's career has declined and the other two have reached superhuman peaks.

When he started out at United he was a second striker and could roam all over the pitch in a free role, but later on Ferguson started using him as an attacking central midfielder with a lot more discipline in terms of positioning and tracking back. Rooney himself has said many times that his fallout with Ferguson was caused by the very fact that he got frustrated with playing in midfield.

“I actually felt when I played midfield I did OK but I didn’t want to play there,” Rooney said. “I felt I deserved the right to play in my position and that wasn’t happening. I can play midfield. Maybe when I’m a bit older, losing my legs a bit, I can go back there.”

Asked whether he made his desire to play up front known to management, Rooney said: “Everyone at the club knew that’s where I wanted to play. That’s why I was disappointed because I got told to play in midfield and I didn’t want to but I’d always go in and try to help the team. There had to come a point where for my own career I had to be a bit selfish really.”

Interview with Rooney last year.

That quote was about Ferguson trying him in actual midfield - IE as a central midfielder - on roughly two occasions. Rooney threw a hissy fit like a 16 year old rich spoilt girl told she can't have a birthday party.

People seem to forget that out of the three players, Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi. Rooney was considered the most gifted around 2004-2005. Of course he made his mark on the professional game much earlier but it is only in the latter years that Rooney's career has declined and the other two have reached superhuman peaks.

That's because Messi and Ronaldo are both athletes. Rooney, sadly, neglected the athletic side. There's been a lot of claims that his "bodytype" is to blame, but really, it's his dedication. If he'd applied himself properly in the athletic sphere...

Actually to training in general. His technique is dreadful at times compared to when he was younger. He's kind of a modern Matthew Le Tissier in that regard - could've been amazing, never tried hard enough, but his best without the full effort was still pretty damned good.

THat season was the first time Messi made an appearance for Barca whereas Rooney had already played 77 games for Everton, had played a great Euro 2004 and had been in ridiculous form in his first month or two since signing for United for what was at the time a world record fee for a teenager. There's an argument to be made that Messi was under rated at the time but considering everyone had better attributes back then thanks to the way the system weighed the stats and there's not a lot to see here in regards to Rooney.

Archived