Official Belgium aka The Red Devils thread

Purefun

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure we have pressure issues. Our first team are all used to playing under pressure, they're all in the biggest competitions of Europe. Will the WC be thàt different? I don't think so.

If anything, we've only struggled when nothing was at stake. Our players seem to have trouble getting fired up for meaningless friendlies. There's not much wrong with that imo, let's not get too hung up over friendly games. It's been a while since I've been disappointed by them in a game that actually mattered.

And even if the entire team has an off day, there's still Courtois :cool:

Correct me if I'm wrong but for us to face Switzerland they would have to finish second in their group & Bosnia have to win theirs (above Argentina) ?

That would be some upset in both those groups :D but anything is possible ofcourse

If Switzerland win their group, they play the second of Argentina's group. The winner of that tie plays against the winner of the 1st in Germany's group vs the second in our group.

Awesome gesture by the Belgian fans at the Sweden match:

ImageHandler.axd?guid=dfbb613c-1ffa-4c6d-9a09-c3d3dee00581&imageFormat=secondColumn-16x9

Basically, Klas Ingesson is managing Elfsborg these days despite being confined to a wheelchair and diagnosed with incurable cancer. Translated the sign says "Klas, Mechelen has not forgotten you". Ingesson played there in the 90s.

Awesome gesture by the Belgian fans at the Sweden match:

ImageHandler.axd?guid=dfbb613c-1ffa-4c6d-9a09-c3d3dee00581&imageFormat=secondColumn-16x9

Basically, Klas Ingesson is managing Elfsborg these days despite being confined to a wheelchair and diagnosed with incurable cancer. Translated the sign says "Klas, Mechelen has not forgotten you". Ingesson played there in the 90s.

Mechelen is one of the very few teams to win a European trophy on their first entry in European competition

The commentary during the game said that Lux/Belgium had agreed to infinite subs, maybe it was unclear that it would render the game void for FIFA.

Like you said, the fourth official should've said something.

The commentary during the game said that Lux/Belgium had agreed to infinite subs, maybe it was unclear that it would render the game void for FIFA.

Like you said, the fourth official should've said something.

Wilmots wanted to do 8/9 subs and was going to ask the ref for permission. Im sure Wimots knows this game wouldnt be official and Im sure he doesnt care one bit.

refs don't care tbh, don't think they are there to make sure it counts for official records, they're there to ensure the game goes through in a sportsmanship and decent fashion. Then again that does cancel any cards if given.

does that mean Januzaj can still change nationalities though?

anyway: doesn't the FIFA have more urgent things to tackle?

Januzaj could, but isn't going to suddenly change allegiance. He's going to Brazil next week fgs :D

Refs are there to uphold the rules of the game, that includes the amount of subs in my book. They have some, if not all the responsability in these matters. Would they allow a fourth sub on in an official game? Would be a great thing to do whenever you're losing otherwise..

That being said, I don't think Wilmots will be too bothered about a friendly game not being 'official'. It's only there to test & train the team, not for statistics.

Lukaku will be somewhat annoyed I think :D

does that mean Januzaj can still change nationalities though?

anyway: doesn't the FIFA have more urgent things to tackle?

Januzaj could have still changed nationality even if this game was offcial. He needs to play an actual competitive game before he is 'locked'

also the rule is simple 6 subs = official game, more than 6 not official. Its not like fifa is breaking its head over this.

Januzaj could, but isn't going to suddenly change allegiance. He's going to Brazil next week fgs :D

Refs are there to uphold the rules of the game, that includes the amount of subs in my book. They have some, if not all the responsability in these matters. Would they allow a fourth sub on in an official game? Would be a great thing to do whenever you're losing otherwise..

That being said, I don't think Wilmots will be too bothered about a friendly game not being 'official'. It's only there to test & train the team, not for statistics.

Lukaku will be somewhat annoyed I think :D

How would it be a great thing? If you make too many subs in an official match, you lose the match by default (remember Anderlecht - RWDM years back?).

to me there's a difference though, as number of subs was agreed to be indefinite between the parties anyway, and ref should be ok with that to begin with. The matter whether the friendly counts or not is purely an administrative matter decided at FIFA. I'm sure the friendly status of the match and its lack of importance in a competition or anything for example also is of importance, and the consequences for the refs as well as I'm sure they are not controlled/held repsonsble whereas in a match a 4th sub ok-ed would mean demotions of the refs in question as well.

tbh it's difficult to say, depends on preparation and potential injuries. Do think it doubtful though Wilmots will immediately let him start, will give confidence to team that gave qualification, but if it goes badly he'll be one of the first to get a shot I reckon.

It's true. Best squad ever (at least on paper), plus we haven't been at a tournament since 2002.

People have been excited for a while now though. The stadium used to be completely dead, but now even friendlies are sold out within hours.

Anyone else agree that saturdays game should've just been cancelled? Was an impossible pitch to play on, players could've gone off injured & above all the game after the 40min break was dreadful to watch

You might become our favourite team if Holland go out earlier.

If only you loved us in return :D

I used to love Holland, until 2010.

Get yourself a couple of new Bergkamps, Kluiverts and Frank de Boers and I'll love you once more.

Boskamp's great tbh, it's just his over the top stuff which creates this animosity/anti-sentiments with his pushing ans shoving and "geouwehoer". Mind you we're not used to watching talkshows like Studio Voetbal or VI on Belgian football so maybe needs getting used to, that serious-funny-portion.

Archived