Official Belgium aka The Red Devils thread

Purefun

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably the best Belgium squad I have ever seen. Such a star studded team, the only hinderance I see is the climate and wether or not they play well as a team on the big stage.

I just can't go past a South American team to win, but Belgium will make a good run.

Two of those goals from Lukaku were really good. Good for his confidence with the NT.

Januzaj impressed me also. Lost the ball twice when he was a bit careless, but for the rest he was really lively and ever-present. Promising debut to say the least.

think as opposed to 1986 we are now more creative and able to dominate whereas the 80s team was more based on counter attack and keeping things tight at the back, with our goalie often being our best player

think as opposed to 1986 we are now more creative and able to dominate whereas the 80s team was more based on counter attack and keeping things tight at the back, with our goalie often being our best player

Well, that hasn't changed now :D

depends really, will seem more valuable when under pressure the whole time, and he has a lot to do. Do agree though it's a necessary condition to do well. Having said that France did become world champions with Barthez in goal ...

A goalie is usually not your most important player. But when you have someone as good as Courtois then yes, he can be the difference.

It's no coincidence he has won so many things at Genk and Atlético, two underdogs in their league.

A goalie is usually not your most important player. But when you have someone as good as Courtois then yes, he can be the difference.

It's no coincidence he has won so many things at Genk and Atlético, two underdogs in their league.

A GK is together with the striker position the most decisive in a team. A great keeper can make a world of difference (Casillas 2010, Buffon 2006 for example)

Barthez wasn't necessarily a poor goalie. He was a good one back then. Thuram and Blanc made it tight at the back.

If your central defenders are too strong to be penetrable, your opponent can resort to shooting from long range. This is when the goalie's hands sometimes can come in handy.

not saying he was ppoor, underestimated even, but still: a good central pairing means the goalie doesn't need to be as omnipresent in the box at set pieces for example, plus also means less chances for the opponents when good defense and therefore less chance to shine.

As for positions: think the central axis is most important, as they also tend to coach the rest of the team, added with creative talent and scoring ability up front.

• SI Staff
16 days before the first game :D

What did you expect then ?

Well, it's starting here... flags, small and large - streets getting decorated - doors and objects Orange - people wearing more Orange.

And we're pretty negative about our chances :D

Well, it's starting here... flags, small and large - streets getting decorated - doors and objects Orange - people wearing more Orange.

And we're pretty negative about our chances :D

yep and we think you look like idiots :D

Belgium is not a very sports minded country anyway

problem is, being the country we are, there's no such thing as uniformity really as opposed to the Orange legion. Then again I do see loads of stuff in shops that is tricolore, or inspired as such. Also stuff to decorate houses, windows, and face-paint, Fellaini wigs and the like.

Still mystified by Lukaku honestly. He can't control a ball to save his life, can't pass.. All he can do is run like a madman & score. Good for us that he's finding the net so easily at the moment.

Wonder if he wouldn't work better in a 442 system. Wish he could take some lessons from Dembele when it comes to holding onto a ball

Yeah I find him a very frustrating player to watch, but he scored a couple great goals these past two matches so as long as he does that it's fine by me.

As you said, his passing is average (though I think it's at an acceptable level), his first touch is mostly very poor (look at his goal vs Sweden, he almost ruined the chance again with a poor control. Got it under control right after, but his first touch was poor again), he looks like the most lazy player ever, standing still, walking, constantly wandering offside. And then occasionally he pulls something great out of his hat.

tbf people keep going on about his hattrick against Luxembourg.. But first of all that was 'just' Luxembourg and secondly 2 of those goals weren't all that.. one was a lucky volley that any decent keeper should've saved, the other was a one on one.. you'd expect him to finish that. His third goal was a fine effort though.

He really is frustrating to watch like Ruben said. He can annoy the hell out of you for 85 minutes but then still find the net. Which is fine by me honestly. I suppose it's a bit of a luxury problem we're having atm.

I'm optimistic about Origi though, he's giving me a much better impression on the ball

tbh didn't see the whole game yesterday, bits and pieces, but did get the impression Lukaku has significantly improved and was doing much better than say a year or so ago. He has improved and I do reckon this could become his tournament, however it can make or break him at the national team as well as if he loses out it'll be Benteke this and that and if Origi grabs his chance ... and Batshuayi in the pipeline as well ... If all goes well though he could be on for a long run, and let's not forget that's what Benteke did initially as well, took his chance, was still a rough diamond and doubted by "experts"/fans/media but look now what people see him as being an important missing link potentially at the WC.

Thats not good to hear. I did saw him do that in a game for Everton and was hoping it would have changed. I think it was exactly the reason why he was loaned out. But when you see him scoring regularly you don't see that.

It's why I don't think he'll ever be a good striker for a club like Chelsea. And also why I don't think Mourinho believes in him as a number 1 striker.

He's definitely better than a couple of years ago, but I still find him hugely frustrating. I'd make a highlight reel of him against Sweden or Luxembourg, but I'm far too lazy for that. You'd instantly see what we're talking about.

tbh didn't see the whole game yesterday, bits and pieces, but did get the impression Lukaku has significantly improved and was doing much better than say a year or so ago. He has improved and I do reckon this could become his tournament, however it can make or break him at the national team as well as if he loses out it'll be Benteke this and that and if Origi grabs his chance ... and Batshuayi in the pipeline as well ... If all goes well though he could be on for a long run, and let's not forget that's what Benteke did initially as well, took his chance, was still a rough diamond and doubted by "experts"/fans/media but look now what people see him as being an important missing link potentially at the WC.

What you have with Benteke is combination play. He's probably a worse finisher than Lukaku, but he can do one-two's with Hazard etc, something Lukaku really can't.

Last night it was painfully obvious whenever Hazard tried to set up a one-two with him, he never got the ball back. And near the end when it was De Bruyne who combined with him, he got it back exactly where he wanted it and scored a good goal.

doesn't that prove though link-up with De Bruyne is preferred rather than with say Lukaku? Not all players are great at everything, not all players are Cristiano Ronaldos who can link up play, dribble, create chances and score loads, also from set pieces. Need to play by the abilities of each player and tbh I do feel Lukaku can be very efficient for us, but obviously in another way than Benteke would for example. Thing is maybe it's also partly a trainable thing, as in the national team they were more used to play with Benteke?

Nah, it's a Lukaku thing. His weaknesses have always been the same: first touch, passing, ball control etc. They've gotten slightly better, but are still there.

The problem is he has this immense physique so you automatically think he's the target man type when really he isn't. His style of play doesn't really match the style our NT plays. But fortunately for us he's scoring for fun at the moment.

The only worry in my mind is he's strictly contributing goals (agreed, that is still the most important thing in football). But what's going to happen in a game when he doesn't score for one or more game(s)?

I think he only had that one shot against Sweden as well.

As long as he's feared by opponents he can still serve a function when not scoring, but I do think against Algeria for example he'll struggle against their inevitable defensive approach. There's not going to be space to run into.

It'll be tough after the group stage but you never know. I'd also put my money on quarter finals.

Even if we face Germany I still give us a chance of winning.

And there are always upsets possible in other groups. We might end up playing Switzerland in the quarter final... And then we might even get to the semis.

Correct me if I'm wrong but for us to face Switzerland they would have to finish second in their group & Bosnia have to win theirs (above Argentina) ?

That would be some upset in both those groups :D but anything is possible ofcourse

Archived