Official Belgium aka The Red Devils thread

Purefun

Marc Wilmots :cool: will announce - later today - the initial players who are selected for the World Cup.

I will add the players (when announced) and will bold the ones who will make it to the final selection for the WC.

Goalkeepers

Courtois, Mignolet, Casteels (Proto if Casteels is still injured)

Defenders

Alderweireld, Kompany, Vandenborre, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Lombaerts, Van Buyten, Ciman

Midfielders

Witsel, Defour, Fellaini, Dembélé, Chadli, De Bruyne

Attack

Lukaku, Origi, Eden Hazard, Mertens, Mirallas, Januzaj

Reserves

Nainggolan, Pocognoli, Thorgan Hazard, Gillet, Batshuayi, Van Damme

Group H games:

17.06.2014 Belgium - Algeria

22.06.2014 Belgium - Russia

26.06.2014 South-Korea - Belgium

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Januzaj likely to be included? Would be exciting to see him but don't think he will get in this one.

Wilmots has already confirmed he's part of the 26 man squad.

I think it's very likely he'll be going to the WC too.

Oh, alright. Who is the most notable likely to be left out then?

No-one will have to be left out for Januzaj. Benteke is out injured and currently it doesn't look like Wilmots will call up another designated striker.

How the **** has Januzaj made the squad? Certainly hasn't merited it on performance.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not been consistent enough. Belgium have loads of wingers who could have made it. That being said Chadli (not sure if he made it) has not been that impressive. Need to see the full list first before I comment.

• Administrators

Courtois, Mignolet, Casteels/Proto

Alderweireld, Vanden Borre, Ciman, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vermaelen, Lombaerts, Vertonghen

Witsel, Defour, Fellaini, Dembélé, Chadli, De Bruyne

Lukaku, Origi, E.Hazard, Mertens, Mirallas, Januzaj

Standby: Nainggolan, Pocognoli, T.Hazard, Gillet, Batshuayi, Van Damme

Was hoping Batshuayi made it. Origi done well to make it. On that evidence can see why Januzaj was included. Not sure who else there is better than him. Thorgan would have been in the main squad had he performed the way he has done this season in a more reputable league for sure. But some exciting talent there. Belgium are my team for this World Cup :cool:

Actually very surprised Wilmots didn't include Simons, even though it's obviously the right choice.

Ciman going is a joke though.

Very good squad though. Origi is a very big surprise! 5 goals in 25 appearances not exactly setting the world on fire.

Is Nainggolan that bad, that Chadli get in ahead of him?!

Different roles. Witsel/Defour - Fellaini/Dembele - De Bruyne/Chadli are the choices in midfield. Nainggolan was competing with Fellaini and Dembele for a place in the squad.

Wilmots said Januzaj isn't likely to play and is mainly going for experience.

Well tbf, he said it's not certain he's going to play, not that he's not likely.

Very good squad though. Origi is a very big surprise! 5 goals in 25 appearances not exactly setting the world on fire.

Watched 2 of his games season and must say he's quite a talent though. Already very complete player. Although he still very raw.

Is Nainggolan that bad, that Chadli get in ahead of him?!

They are completely different players?

Nainggolan didn't get in because he probably wouldn't play a single minute. Midfield is packed with quality. Fellaini and Witsel are good performers for the NT and will always get preference ahead of Radja.

Personally I'd have taken him ahead of Ciman though. Nainggolan has a future at the NT, Ciman not so much. And Ciman won't play a minute either.

They are completely different players?

Nainggolan didn't get in because he probably wouldn't play a single minute. Midfield is packed with quality. Fellaini and Witsel are good performers for the NT and will always get preference ahead of Radja.

Personally I'd have taken him ahead of Ciman though. Nainggolan has a future at the NT, Ciman not so much. And Ciman won't play a minute either.

Yes I agree on Ciman. Naingollan for Ciman would be the only change I'd make.

I disagree though that Fellaini is a good performer for the NT. He has played like 3 or 4 decent games but other than that he usually is the weak link.

The problem with Nainggolan is that he's seen as defensive/controlling midfielder. On that position he has to compete with Witsel, Fellaini and Defour. 3 player who already earned their place in the qualifiers.

I don't think Chadli is THAT highly rated over here. But he's seen as either a nr 10 or a right-winger, so not a direct competitor to Nainngolan. And again Chadli also earned his credit the past two years where Radja is more or less seen as a new guy.

Yes I agree on Ciman. Naingollan for Ciman would be the only change I'd make.

I would have taken Pocognoli instead of Ciman. We're taking 6 natural central defenders, and no natural left backs right now. I dislike Pocognoli but I thought he was an obvious choice. Don't get why Wilmots insists on taking so many central defenders.

I would have taken Pocognoli instead of Ciman. We're taking 6 natural central defenders, and no natural left backs right now. I dislike Pocognoli but I thought he was an obvious choice. Don't get why Wilmots insists on taking so many central defenders.

Wilmots said many times he prefers defensive fullbacks, so he doesnt mind using centrebacks for that position. I dont think he rates Pocognoli much anyway.

Pocognoli has been glued to the bench in Hannover and hasn't played a game from them since March. Is rumored to (be forced to) leave the club this summer. In short not good enough to be taken along.

Wilmots said Januzaj isn't likely to play and is mainly going for experience.

Where did you get that?

I was listening to the press conference and he briefly talked about Januzaj. Didn't hear him say he isn't likely to play.

Where did you get that?

I was listening to the press conference and he briefly talked about Januzaj. Didn't hear him say he isn't likely to play.

What I heard was a reporter asking Wilmots if Januzaj was taken along so he could play and bind himself to Belgium? To which Wilmots replied that it is not certain Januzaj will play, but he wants him along for the experience anyway.

Maybe that's the part Philip was referring to? It's different than saying he's not likely to play though.

Archived