The Official Holland aka The Netherlands aka Oranje thread

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You also have a Group A opening segment..?

(by the way, nice job!!)

I take it you mean Group B opening segment? :D But yeah it's all the analysis for the groups off the FIFA website. If you want anything else though let me know. I'll create the Group B thread either tonight or tomorrow. Was aiming to do one per day and did the Group C one today as didn't want to annoy DJ without asking you lot first. :thup:

• SI Staff

Nope, surprisingly he isnt!

Doelmannen:

Jasper Cillessen (Ajax)

Tim Krul (Newcastle United)

Michel Vorm (Swansea City)

Verdedigers:

Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord)

Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord)

Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord)

Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord)

Joël Veltman (Ajax)

Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa)

Paul Verhaegh (FC Augsburg)

Middenvelders:

Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray)

Nigel de Jong (AC Milan)

Daley Blind (Ajax)

Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord)

Leroy Fer (Norwich City)

Jonathan de Guzman (Swansea City)

Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV)

Aanvallers:

Robin van Persie (Manchester United)

Arjen Robben (Bayern München)

Jeremain Lens (Dinamo Kiev)

Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbahce)

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04)

Memphis Depay (PSV)

this means that Karim Rekik, Quincy Promes, Jean-Paul Boëtius, Tonny Vilhena, Jeroen Zoet, Patrick van Aanholt en Rafael van der Vaart have been dropped.

Also Dirk Kuyt :( :( :(

• SI Staff

He mostly plays as DMC, but he has played as DL (and DR at FC Groningen)

Ajax uses Boilesen as DL mainly, but he's generally always injured - so Blind would sometimes fall into the DL slot. He's better as DMC though.

This is the first competition the Dutch have been in since I have lived in Holland that most do not seem to care too much about, or at least they do not seem to fancy their chances.

Normally there is a lot of buzz going around but now there is almost nothing.

I live in a small village and it would be fair to say most people from week to week do not follow football but come a major competition they can all name the starting 11 and are hopeful of winning the trophy.

This year you would be hard pressed to find anyone that can name the back 4, they can just about get 3 players from the entire team and then they are stumped.

It is fair to say there is not much excitement about this years Dutch team as there normally is.

On a side note- I had said to the wife that Mediamarkt had something going on that if you bought a new TV and Holland won the WC you would get your money back.

Her response was "does it come with a 30 day return policy so when they do get beat we could return it anyway" .. not bad I thought. :D

The most interesting thing: this selection seems destined for a 4-3-3, if you count Blind as a back. My guess: only 5-3-2 against Spain (and maybe Brazil if we progress)
This is what Italy will do I think. 4-3-1-2, but change to 3-5-2 if we get to the QF and play Spain. Did it at the Confederations Cup.

• SI Staff
This is the first competition the Dutch have been in since I have lived in Holland that most do not seem to care too much about, or at least they do not seem to fancy their chances.

Normally there is a lot of buzz going around but now there is almost nothing.

I live in a small village and it would be fair to say most people from week to week do not follow football but come a major competition they can all name the starting 11 and are hopeful of winning the trophy.

This year you would be hard pressed to find anyone that can name the back 4, they can just about get 3 players from the entire team and then they are stumped.

It is fair to say there is not much excitement about this years Dutch team as there normally is.

On a side note- I had said to the wife that Mediamarkt had something going on that if you bought a new TV and Holland won the WC you would get your money back.

Her response was "does it come with a 30 day return policy so when they do get beat we could return it anyway" .. not bad I thought. :D

It's starting in the big cities though - there's a few flags in my street - there's a flag on this door... I saw other streets with little flags from one side to another. Not as much as usual, but it's getting there. Probably after the Wales game.

And we have a back 5 to make things easier :D

Although generally people think we don't have much chance - so that's the Dutch response... we don't really care.

the Dutch as glory-hunters? really?

if things go well it'll be all hosannah, Amsterdam canals with sinking barges and the lot. If not some squares with large screens will be trashed a bit. Might as well select a location that could do with an update then, cause either way cleaning will be needed either after extensive vomiting from drink-celebrations or fighting/trashing after losing.

• SI Staff

It will be festive regardless- I would think, considering the lower expectations, there will be less nonsense.

4 years ago it was a great party, fantastic atmosphere - absolutely loved it... and then there was the final :( It got pretty grim in places. I mean we were all so so gutted. Disappointment.

Now it'll be like, oh... we won't make it past the Group Stages, and if we do - then any round is a bonus.

think it's also down to how the media play about the tournament, seems they're not going full gas (yet?). Once they hype the stuff up who knows.

No doubt credit goes to Louis though for creating the right atmosphere. He should get credit for everything really. At least in his view.

It's starting in the big cities though - there's a few flags in my street - there's a flag on this door... I saw other streets with little flags from one side to another. Not as much as usual, but it's getting there. Probably after the Wales game.

Drove through one of our more challenged neighbourhoods today. Totally Orange. I think I live in the "wrong" area for the full Oranje experience.

It always depends on who walks where and when. According to van Gaal during the last friendly RvP should have stayed up front more and Sneijder should have been pressing forward a bit less. That's pointing towards 4-3-3.

Looking forward to the discussions on point-to-the rear or point-to-the-front midfield options

Going to be to-the-front, no question there. The other one will be deemed too risky with Sneijder.

Haha, I knew it :D

Oh well, time for me to start as well. Changed my FB bg to orange and hung a mini orange football shirt from my balcony. That'll teach my neighbours! Although... of most of them, their country doesn't take part. Turkish and Albanian mainly ^^

The bakery round the corner from my house started selling oranje tom poezen yesterday. Orange fever has hit my neighbourhood!

do they taste orange as well? or just a colouring and no taste difference

Frown? Oranje is a craze that is well commercialized ever since '88. You can buy everything in orange if you want to. Toilet seats, food, whatever. The same sort of thing is going on in Germany at the moment (since 2006), I saw an advertisement for washing up liquid with german flags on it ^^

Archived