FM14: Chelsea F.C. - The Happy Ones...We Hope

Bracken

Just had an £83M bid for Wilshere rejected. Can't seem to lure him away. He says he's interested in joining my club, but I can't get him to hand in a transfer request. Oh well, the unsettleing continues

That's one hell of a bid!!

There must be cheaper options, where's Ross Barkley??

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's one hell of a bid!!

There must be cheaper options, where's Ross Barkley??

Was never going to pay £83M for a player, just wanted to see what it would take, as they rejected £40M at first. It's not really a big deal as I have ~£250M to spend and ~£950K left on my wage budget.

I came close to buying Ross Barkley, as I let De Bruyne go this season. I felt De Bruyne was too good to be my bench player. When I looked at Barkley his potential had dropped to 3.5* and his stats were not looking too impressive, so I opted for Will Hughes, who in my save has become the better player.

It seems to be just the two of us left in here, where is everyone else? Come on lads, join in!

Screenshot of how he's developed??

Andreas Christensen in late 2016. Not the best, but he is very handy as a rotating CB, for when Terry or Mangala are tired/banned/injured. Also he's Danish like me, so I favour him over others. Let David Luiz go for that reason haha

Gabriel Barbosa looks great, and for just £5M! Looking forward to seeing how he does for you

Andreas Christensen in late 2016. Not the best, but he is very handy as a rotating CB, for when Terry or Mangala are tired/banned/injured. Also he's Danish like me, so I favour him over others. Let David Luiz go for that reason haha

Gabriel Barbosa looks great, and for just £5M! Looking forward to seeing how he does for you

Andreas Christensen looks promising for only 20 years-old.

David Luiz is immense for me, already surpassed John Terry as my number one central defender.

I've been struggling to get into FM14 for whatever reason and I keep returning to FM13 but I fancied a Chelsea save to see if i can make use of all that attacking midfield talent and also try a 4-2-3-1 formation and step away from my comfort zone of the 4-1-2-2-1.

So far so good with Chelski. Two thirds of the way through season 1. Signed Ward-Prowse, Doria and got Gabriel Barbosa coming in when eligible too. Sold DeBruyne and Mikel as I don't rate him and don't need a pure DM playing 4-2-3-1.

I also resisted the urge to sign a striker in January as I want to use Lukaku when he gets back off loan, even though Torres, Ba and Eto'o have been very poor.

Lost just once in the league (City away) and 6 points clear having also just won the COC. Got Bayern in the CL quarters so that will be tough. Should have beat them in the Super Cup at the start of the season but lost to a 90+3 goal.

Seems high ratings are harder to get in FM14. Top rating in premier league is only 7.40 so far. Is that the case for everyone else?

I'm astonished at how quickly some players have requested a 'chat' this season due to a recent run of bad form.

Only six games into the league, but have started really poorly and are currently 11th.

Juan Mata and Wallace have already said that they will leave if things don't improve!! We won the treble last season!!

@davehibb I noticed a similar thing at the start of my first season, but at the turn of the year David Luiz and Eden Hazard started averaging just over 8.00. No idea why though??

Seems high ratings are harder to get in FM14. Top rating in premier league is only 7.40 so far. Is that the case for everyone else?

Yea, definitely noticed this as well. As Henry pointed out, I too have found that after a season the average ratings start to pick up.

On another note, looks like Chalobah will be the starter next season, taking over for a 38 year old Lampard. It's not that Lampard isn't performing anymore, he still does the job, it's just that I cannot keep this kid on the bench anymore.

Here he is in late February of 2017:

hXjr3Zq.png

And his CA is "only" 3.5* out of his 5* PA. It seems he'll be a starter in midfield for the next many, many years, unless I find some absolutely unreal English CM in the future.

Well this is the first FM14 I've really gotten into.

Won the COC 4-0 against Norwish and won the league with 3 games to go. Also have terrific results in the CL quarter finals against Bayern, 3-0(a) and 0-0(h) and Barca 2-1(a) and 2-0(h) in the semis.

Will play either Dortmund or Porto in the final.

Mata has an incredible 29 assists in the league. Next best is someone with 12, yet I don't think anyone has more than 15 goals for us.

Hi all,

Thought this was too amusing not to share.

I know not many people rate Torres, but considering how I couldn't offload him and his ridiculous wages, I took it upon myself to make him useful.

http://gyazo.com/e89f09e0332b0388546e121a1996e052

Somehow managed to squeeze 20 goals and 15 assists in a season, grabbing 6 MotM awards and ending with a very respectable overall rating of 7.29. Long live Torres!

Also have terrific results in the CL quarter finals against Bayern, 3-0(a) and 0-0(h) and Barca 2-1(a) and 2-0(h) in the semis.

Mata has an incredible 29 assists in the league. Next best is someone with 12, yet I don't think anyone has more than 15 goals for us.

I hope I can do as well against Bayern as you have, I too face Bayern in the quarter finals of the Champions League this year.

Incredible return from Mata, how do you play him? Very interested to see, as he has been good, but not amazing for me.

I hope I can do as well against Bayern as you have, I too face Bayern in the quarter finals of the Champions League this year.

Incredible return from Mata, how do you play him? Very interested to see, as he has been good, but not amazing for me.

I was amazed at how well we played in both away legs against Bayern and Barca. I think the 3-0 over bayern might have been one of those freak results you sometimes get.

We managed to sneak the CL with a 3-2aet victory over Dortmund to complete a league, COC & CL treble. We almost blew it though, surrendering a 2-0 lead late on but Willian snatched the extra time winner for me.

Mata has been amazing for me. 29 assists and 5 goals in 28 league games (32 & 11 all comps). I play him as T(a) in the AMC position of my 4-2-3-1 with Hazard AML (IFs) and Willian AMR (Wa). Lampard as BBM(s) and Ramires as BWM(s). Though I'm thinking of maybe going CM(s) and DLP(d) in midfield for season two as I was disappointed in Lampards return of just 4 goals and 5 assists in 31 games and I felt we were a little exposed at times with my CMs being caught too high up the pitch.

Just reached the end of the 2031 season having won the league again for the 8th time in 11 seasons. The last of our original players in Courtois is finally retiring at the age of 38 :(Quite annoyed i've only won the Champions league 3 times having reached the final 6 times as well!

Just reached the end of the 2031 season having won the league again for the 8th time in 11 seasons. The last of our original players in Courtois is finally retiring at the age of 38 :(Quite annoyed i've only won the Champions league 3 times having reached the final 6 times as well!

Wow that is a long time into a save. At what age did Lampard and Terry retire for you? Lampard has still not talked about retiring yet at the age of 39 for me, and neither has Terry at 36

Lampard retired at the end of the 2018/19 season, i let him go for free after the first season. He spent 3 years at Swansea then a further 2 at Everton, managing to play in the Prem for the rest of his career believe it or not, bar 3 games in the Championship for Swansea; he even managed 10 goals in his last ever season as a 40/41 year old!

Terry retired aged 34 after i released him in 2015 he never found another club.

I've just finished the 2031/32 season and won the League and Champions League. The 9th time i've won the league so far in my career with Chelsea, all in the past 11 seasons and the 4th time i've won the Champions League in 7 finals; it was also the 3rd time i've faced Man City in the final and the first time i actually managed to beat them!

I thought i'd post my team here anyway, we're pretty well stocked across the board although one or two areas could be improved. As a guide, 4 stars is ranked as being 'world class'.

GK: Whatley / Sulley

RB: Bischof / Salisbury

CB: Dawes / Skender

CB: Sanabria / Buitrago / Harken

LB: Joubert / Gomez

CDM: Luiz Claudio / Ronaldo / Marcelo

CDM: Wise / Moises / Bright

AMR: Evers / Villasenor

AMC: Hugo / Mee

AMC: Eaves / Arnott

ST: Olaizola / Martin / Vilches

That is some squad you have there, Jack.

Thanks, my aim is to win every trophy possible in one season, i won't leave until i manage it! So far this season we've picked up the Community Shield, Super Cup, Club World Cup and we're still in all other competitions and top of the league so this may be the year :D

Hi everyone. I might come across as grumpy saying this, but is it really interesting to watch screenshot after screenshot of regens? I would find it much more interesting if you told how you get such good regens (head of youth development, director of football, youth network, youth coaches, etc.). I have allways had a hard time getting any good regens comming out of the Chelsea academy and end up buying young players instead.

Any thoughts?

best regards,

Nils Rune

Evening all,

How long you kept Frank Lampard in your starting squad? I've just checked Chelsea's team on my Newcastle save and found that 40 year old Frankie Lamps is still heavily involved and his mental starts are absolutely insane, as you'd expect the physicals and technicals have dropped but he's still performing well.

Unfortunately i am horrendous at screen shots so I can't give you one!

Evening all,

How long you kept Frank Lampard in your starting squad? I've just checked Chelsea's team on my Newcastle save and found that 40 year old Frankie Lamps is still heavily involved and his mental starts are absolutely insane, as you'd expect the physicals and technicals have dropped but he's still performing well.

Unfortunately i am horrendous at screen shots so I can't give you one!

39 and going strong on my save. He's just about to lose his starting spot, but that's not a case of him playing himself off the team, it's Chalobah developing very nicely and I can't keep him out of the team anymore.

Hi everyone. I might come across as grumpy saying this, but is it really interesting to watch screenshot after screenshot of regens? I would find it much more interesting if you told how you get such good regens (head of youth development, director of football, youth network, youth coaches, etc.). I have allways had a hard time getting any good regens comming out of the Chelsea academy and end up buying young players instead.

Any thoughts?

best regards,

Nils Rune

There are lots of elements that affect the quality of regen CA and PA.

Cleon has an excellent thread which is well worth reading: Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14 (in the Tactics and Training Forum)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380395-Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14

The section on Training Facilities Information and the importance of having staff with the right attributes and personality are particularly relevant. Appointing a really good Head Of Youth Development is really worthwhile.

I too am playing a long term save with Chelsea and have seen a few 4-5* regens in my youth intake but not every year despite overhauling my staff and appointing a new Head of Youth Development.

Looking at the Facilities for Chelsea I have:

Top Training Facilities

Top Youth Facilities and Youth SetUp Category of 1

All of these are top notch but the Youth Recruitment Network is only "Established Youth Recruitment". I have requested board to improve this and they have agreed.

There are two better categories - Well Established and Extensive.

Improving this should increase Chelsea chances of getting the best player regens......

In summary I believe:

Junior Coaching affects CA of regens produced

Youth Recruitment affects PA of regens produced

Youth Facilities affect rate of young player development

When choosing Head of Youth Development, make sure that he has the type of personality that you would like your regens to have as it affects the type of personality regens start with.

Good luck with getting things in place to help improve the quality of your regen intakes......and uncover a few potential gems.

I've recently started a new Chelsea save after downloading a January update.

I'm looking to take the youth route and will also try bringing in some English players too.

Has anybody else taken a similar route? If so, who did you bring through the academy and what English players have you had success with?

Checking in for the first time in a while. We're still winning the Prem and CL every season (currently 2023/24 season) but i'm letting my top players go when they hit or want £160k p/w or more. Struggling to improve the current side I have, 2* CA is now leading Prem players for me. Other teams are also starting to improve progressively and the league is starting to get closer and closer, which is good I suppose as it's no longer easy.

Kind of sitting and waiting for the England job, Spalletti's still manager and doesn't seem to be leaving any time soon.

Guest El Payaso
I've recently started a new Chelsea save after downloading a January update.

I'm looking to take the youth route and will also try bringing in some English players too.

Has anybody else taken a similar route? If so, who did you bring through the academy and what English players have you had success with?

Not yet but will do when the update is released. I'm not buying anyone if I don't have to and at the start I've got a finished squad in use already. It's quite boring signing the same players that everybody else does like Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Balanta and so on... I'm gonna trust my scouts to find the players for me, not using the player search.

Don't think you really need to sign any players as Chelsea. The youth system is great, and there's already a horrendous amount of young talent at the squad or out on loan.

Sure, but the best thing about FM is buying and selling players (personal opinion) :) I allways try to cut the wages, so Terry, Cole and Lampard are normally gone within two seasons on my Chelsea saves. As are Cahill.

Sure, but the best thing about FM is buying and selling players (personal opinion) :) I allways try to cut the wages, so Terry, Cole and Lampard are normally gone within two seasons on my Chelsea saves. As are Cahill.

I can see why Cole would go as he is rather greedy in the game, but I've found it easy to cut Lampard and Terry's wages in half or even more only after a few years.

As for youngsters coming throught your own academy, just keep all of your facilities and youth recruiting network at their highest, that'll make the chances of talents bigger, but it's still random if you get any players who are worth handing a contract or not.

What I've had success with recently is, on "regen-day" I do this: Premier League/Championship --> Transfers --> Incoming Youth Players (Or something similar) --> Scout them all. That way, any decent talent that comes through in England, you'll know of, and have the chance to offer them a youth contract or a pro contract before they even sign with their current club. They won't always accept your offer, but sometimes they will, and then you have a 15/16 year old decent talent in your youth squad, who becomes home grown for the future.

What I've had success with recently is, on "regen-day" I do this: Premier League/Championship --> Transfers --> Incoming Youth Players (Or something similar) --> Scout them all. That way, any decent talent that comes through in England, you'll know of, and have the chance to offer them a youth contract or a pro contract before they even sign with their current club. They won't always accept your offer, but sometimes they will, and then you have a 15/16 year old decent talent in your youth squad, who becomes home grown for the future.

That's a great tip. Thank you :)

I think Torres can be a goalscorer in this years game, just people assume because of his real life form that this is replicated in game. I've seen people get 15-20 goals out of him in the first season.

Of course real life will reflect how people will perceive a player and his performances but that's part of the game, it is suppose to be relatively realistic and based on the real life counterpart. That's fine if you are happy with 15 maybe 20 goals a season.

I will just agree to disagree with you. I am sure there are many other things we agree on.

*Saying that he has improved his finishing, composure and penalty taking while playing as a back up and scored some important goals. He may never be my main striker but he does seem a good back up/rotation option.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of starting a game with Chelsea and trying to set the team up using the way Mourinho has his 4-2-3-1 at the moment and go for a more defensive 4-2-3-1 like he got you guys playing away at Man City in the league.

Thinking of going for

WB (s)

CB (d)

CB (d)

WB (s)

BWM (s)

CM (auto)

W (a)

AP (s)

IF (a)

AF (a)

Counter and Fluid.

Using the shouts of look for overlap, run at defence, work ball in, Hassle, pass into space, Direct Passing.

Then for those tough games dropping the BWM (s), W (A) to DW (s) and CM (a) to both dm (s) role.

I am yet to fiddle about with individual instructions but just wanted a base. What do people think with about this?

I'm trying something similar in my Chelsea save, going with a fast counter-attacking style based on Jose's tactics. Worked wonders for me so far having won all but one of my competitive games, the only loss coming at home to Villa on the first day of the season

2eposgi.png

29z7iqd.png

Obviously plan on bringing in a quality striker due to Torres, Ba and Eto'o being rank (10 goals between the 3) although Lukaku seems to be developing well at Everton. Hazard and Schurrle/Willian have been quality and are deadly once the defence clear the ball to them on the counter and Alex Sandro is a must at LB for this tactic, often makes overlapping runs ahead of Hazard and has grabbed a few goals too, a steal at £11m.

Guest El Payaso
I'm trying something similar in my Chelsea save, going with a fast counter-attacking style based on Jose's tactics.
Looks nice, though it's impossible to re-create the tactic that José used against Man City in FM. You just can't get the attacking players roam enough and the midfield will not work the same way... I did something similar with my Boreham Wood-team in the Championship, didn't work too good IMO.

Reading this thread really makes me want to start the Chelsea-career in this version but I'm still waiting for the patch to fix the engine and change the attributes just a little bit.

I've always used Torres as AF or DLF on attack duty and he's really been effective in every version for me. Even though I don't like changing the original squads during first season I just might sell Eto'o or Ba as I like to use Torres and I will have Lukaku in the second season.

BTW: I will be José Mourinho in my save, how can I delete the original one from my save? With what kind of editor?

Guest El Payaso

Two games played with the real Premierleague fixtures: Hull (H) and Aston Villa (H). We won both of these games 4-0; Torres scored 3 in first half against Hull and Terry netted the last one from corner kick. Against Villa Terry opened the scoring from free-kick and then Lampard finished from Willian's cross, Frank scored his second from the penalty spot and Willian also got his first Chelsea goal in 82nd minute. Next up is a tough challenge against Manchester United away. Really enjoying this save so far.

Archived