Insert Interesting Name Here - Tomtuck's Second FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

Well done in the Champions league. Hope you can beat Marseille.

Thouroghly enjoying my journeyman save at the moment. It's bloody tough though. managing in Sapins 2nd div B and one team has a player on more wages than my entire wage budget. :)

Thanks fuzzrab. I'm delighted we drew them as it could have been much tougher.

The joy of journeyman saves, they can take you anywhere. I was really lucky after Bukovyna to get the Brighton job, who had so much money! I could have ended up anywhere - I nearly went to China! :D

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

183px-SL_Benfica_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Benfica 2018/19

Taça da Liga Final

How We Got To The Final

Group Stage

CareerSave-TacadeLigaGroupGames-2018-19_zps7d6bcb95.png

CareerSave-BenficaTacadeLigaTable-Jan2019_zps6c61b114.png

Three wins from three, although two of them were close affairs. Nothing like the goal feasts of last season, but we did stick five past Olhanense to get the group off to the perfect start. Close games at home to Maritimo and Arouca followed, but like I said, we comfortably finished top of the group. In the smi-finals we drew Braga again, who won a group with Porto in it!

Knockout Stage

CareerSave-TacadeLigaSemiFinal-2018-19_zps4e6954dd.png

The semi against Braga was an absolutely ridiculous game of football. 3-0 up we went, but they were back to 3-2 by halftime. We then went 5-2 infront and the game looked over, but again they came back and got another. Madness, but entertaining nonetheless.

The Final

vs. Sporting Lisbon

TacadeLigaFinalvsSporting-Apr2019_zpsc9185552.png

Match Stats.

Like last seasons final against Porto, this went all the way to penalties. Only this time, we won!

Also like last seasons final, this was a close affair. I put that partly down to the fact we had so many missing the game. Fabio, Neilton, Rodrigo, Joaquim Silva and Salih Tunc were all injured, and Namir Fernandes was out suspended. Sporting put in a good performance, but I can't imagine things would have been as close had we had everyone available to us. We fell behind early in the secnd half, but thankfully we got back into very soon via the penalty spot. Both teams had chance to win it from there, but it went to a penalty shootout. In the shootout goalkeeping legend Artur was the hero, scoring our eighth penalty and then saving from Oscar Duarte to win us the cup!

Congrats on winning the Taça da Liga :thup: Looked a tough, tense game :D

Cheers. :)

My finals are usually close affairs, but this was probably down to us having a bit of a depleted squad. Cleon will just be stunned that I've managed to win a final - I didn't have the best record in finals on FM13!

Many congratulations. What is it about you an penalties!?

We like to make it exciting for the fans. :D

On a serious note, for both Taça da Liga Final's we've had to leave out players due to either injuries ,or having other big games around the time. When you're missing your usual attacking three, it's hard to create and take the chances you normally would.

Always nice to claim a trophy.

Indeed it is. Atleast we're likely to win both domestic cups despite missing out on the league.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - April 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Apr2019_zpsf9283fbe.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Apr2019_zpsf5cb15aa.png

Injuries have caught up with us and now it's realistically done.

Olhanense against proved to be a nuisance once again, and this was pretty much it for the title race - Porto had won 6-0 at Nacional the previous day and after this draw I just thought no matter how we go this round of fixtures was the crucial point. They took the lead early, and we equalised on the stroke of halftime. We didn't do enough to win it and Olhanense got a solid point. Setubal then took advantage of me resting players inbetween the Marseille games. Despite us taking the lead early on we were really sluggish, and Setubal deservedly equalised just after the break. We then barely troubled them, and the game just petered out into a 1-1 draw. The draw at third place Academica proved to be a decent one as were 2-0 behind at the break. Still though, we should be winning these kind of games.

Five points behind with just two to play. Our next game is against Rio Ave, but for us it doesn't really matter.

Taça de Portugal - Semi-Final 2nd Leg

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-Apr2019_zps54358127.png

As comfortable as you like. We went ahead very early and after that we just coasted through the game. A second came just 25mins into the game, and then that was it. Not much else of note happened, and we just played out a routine 2-0 win to complete a 4-0 aggregate win.

In the final we face second division Estoril.

Taça de Liga- Final

CareerSave-BenficaTacadeLigaFixtures-Apr2019_zps0c7c72ae.png

It was a very close final just like last years final against Porto, and the match again went all the way to penalties. With so many players out injured, (my usual front three, first choice goalkeeper, and both leftbacks), the side was a bit patched up, so to play aswell as we did was very pleasing. I'd expect at full strength we'd have done much better. Still, we won, and veteran goalkeeper Artur was the hero in the penalty shootout.

Champions League - Quarter Final 1st & 2nd Leg

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Apr2019_zpsb8748281.png

Our superb run in the Champions League continues still!!

Marseille really gave us a bit of a going over early on in the first leg, but we weathered the storm and took the lead after 27mins. They his back a little over five minutes later, but the pattern was set - makority of possesion was ours, but they created decent chances on the break. The game finished 1-1, and in all honesty I was pleased with that. The home leg was much the same, and Marseille took the lead just after the half hour mark. Despite all our possession we couldn't carve out a decent chance, but we eventually got an equaliser twelve minutes from time when a Mattheus corner was headed home by a Marseille defender. In extra time we really pushed them back, and at the end of the first period we won a penalty, which man of the match Mattheus slotted home. We had some great chances on the counter to seal it, but in the end it finished 2-1 on the night, 3-2 on aggregate.

In the smi-finals we face Chelsea, with first leg again away from home. The other semi is between Real Madrid and Manchester United.

I honestly thought you'd have the league wrapped up with the start and lead you had. Shame you dropped results due to injuries but I guess that's not a bad thing considering you are competing for everything else and it was bound to take its toll at some stage. Still a good season though by all accounts :)

I honestly thought you'd have the league wrapped up with the start and lead you had. Shame you dropped results due to injuries but I guess that's not a bad thing considering you are competing for everything else and it was bound to take its toll at some stage. Still a good season though by all accounts :)

Well so did I, eight points clear we were at one stage. Injuries or not, that's a massive lead to slip away and I'm very disappointed.

But yes it is still a decent season, (I was only expected to challenge for the title anyway, so the board are happy enough), and it might just get better yet.........

Olhanense...

:D

Yeah, they have some kind of hex over me when it comes to the league this season. :thdn:

Lots of draws, I know how you feel :(.

Nice work to reach a European final though :cool:.

Just one of those things. Injuries well and truly caught up with us and it was a case of keeping players fit for the Champions League.

Happy to sacrifice the league to get to the Champions League Final, even if it has meant three important players slapping in transfer requests for us not winning the title as I had promised.

CL final!!! Amazing job!!

Thanks alot. Just the small matter of Manchester United to overcome in the final.

Taça de Portugal Final

How We Got To The Final

CareerSave-PortugueseCupGames-2018-19_zpse69b2d73.png

It was a comfortable run to the final, with the exception if the third round tie at Porto. That was a cracking performance. From there we face second division teams in every round until the semi-finals, scoring thirteen goals in three games and conceding just one. In the semi's Beira-Mar were seen off 4-0 on aggregate, despite me resting players for both legs because of other fixtures around the games.

The Final

vs. Estoril

With the Champions League Final just six days away I rested one of two for this game. Joaquim Silva was only on the bench having played just twentyfive minutes in three months. Other players returning from injury, Rodrigo and Neilton, were left out all together. Rui Miguel was left on the bench, and Brayan Restrepo was left out of the squad carrying a slight knock. Salih Tunc was still out injured, so Artur again deputised.

PortugueseCupFinalvsEstoril-May2019_zps3c24e01e.png

Match Stats.

I expected us to win the trophy, and we did so in some style. Young Brazilian Choquito Rocha was the star of the show, grabbing himself a hattrick! We dominated the game, with Estoril rarely offering anything going forward. We hit a little snag when they equalised just three minutes after we have taken the lead. It didn't destabilise us, and soon retook the lead via a stunning freekick from Mattheus. Soon into the second half Choquito Rocha got his second to put us in total control, and with fourteen minutes to go he tucked away a penalty after Lorenzo Pezzi was brought down to seal his hattrick.

4-1 it finished, both domestic cups are in Benfica hands!

Champions League Final

How We Got To The Final

Group Stage

ChampionsLeagueGroupGames-2018-19_zps5fb9c7f7.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Dec2018_zps8dc0ab0e.png

I thought we could maybe sneak through the group, but this was just unbelievable. Draws at both Real Madrid and Arsenal were fantastic, and then to beat Real so heavily was special. To top the group by four points was really special. Winning the group also meant that we should, in theory, get an easier draw in the 1st Knockout Round.

Knockout Stage

ChampionsLeagueKOGames-2018-19_zps1702d70b.png

Well we didn't get that easy draw in the next round, but we had some fantastic games in here. The 0-0 draw at Bayern was a great defensive display, and beating Chelsea 2-1 at their place was a mssive high. Marseille in the quarters was really tense, but we won through in the end. Repeating these performances in the future will be tough.

In the final we would face Manchester United, who saw off Real Madrid in semi-finals.

Team News

Salih Tunc was ruled out of the final having been absent since the quarter final 2nd leg against Marseille. So retiring Brazilian Artur would finish his career with a start in the biggest club game in world football. Defensively the only absentee was Fabio, but whether he would have actually started is another matter. I also decided to go with Javi Garcia at halfback instead of Pedro Rodrigues. Garcia has been excellent in the European games he has played, and his experience could be vital. The three returning from injury, (Joaquim Silva, Neilton and Rodrigo), all had to settle for places on the bench. And Lorenzo Pezzi was ruled out having got injured in the Taça de Portugal Final.

Artur

--------Lopez - Restrepo - Fernandes

Foguete------Javi Garcia--------------

Rui Miguel - Mattheus

----Choquito Rocha--------------Kishna

Victor Andrade

The Final

vs. Manchester United

CareerSave-CLFinalvsManUtd-Jun2019_zpsb00816fa.png

Match Stats.

Well we gave it our best shot, but we came up just short. United were so dominant in terms of shots, but we did creat some decent chances on the break. We weren't helped when Foguete got injured and we had to play the final nineteen minutes with ten men. We held out, and they were also reduced to ten in the final moments. In extra time we created some lovely chances, but we couldn't take them. United nicked a goal from a corner, and although we had the odd chnce to equalise, we couldn't find the next.

A great effort, and a great performance throughout the competition, Unfortunately we just fell at the final hurdle.

So close. I would have preferred you to have beaten such opposition too :(.

I imagined you'd have said similar, :D

It just wasn't meant to be. A the end of the day though we've had a marvellous run and been involved in some fairly epic games. If this doesn't raise our reputation enough to persaude Brayan Restrepo, Rui Miguel and Joaquim Silva to stay, then I don't know what will.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - May/June 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-May2019_zpse6616b6c.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-May2019_zps3d0f0988.png

Not a great finish to the season, but winning the title going into the final month was always unlikely.

Prior to the game with Rio Ave, Porto dropped points after drawing 3-3 with Academica. Had we won the game we'd have atleast taken it to the final day needing Porto to lose to Sporting for us to win. As it was we played very poorly against Rio Ave and we were lucky to draw. We finished the season off with a comfortable 2-0 win at already relegated Portimonense, but I can't honestly say I was too fussed.

So we finished five points behind in the end after once being eight points clear. Injuries or not, that's just not good enough.

Taça de Portugal - Final

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-May2019_zps2965d15d.png

This was always likely to be quite comfortable, and so it proved. We took the lead early, but had a slight wobble when Estorl equalised. However it didn't really destabilise us at all, and thanks to a hattrick with young Brazilian Choquito Rocha we ran out 4-1 winners.

The domestic double is a sound achievement.

Champions League - Semi-final 1st & 2nd Leg and Final

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-May2019_zps9fb8f639.png

We were fabulous in the two semi-final games against Chelsea. We were 2-0 at Chelsea in the firt leg after we grabbed two goal in the space of four second half minutes. However Chelsea got one back and we have a nervy final fourteen minutes, but we held on. In the second leg it was Chelsea who took the lead just before the half hour mark. Just six minutes into the second half we hit back through Rui Miguel. From there on the pattern was set - Chelsea putting the pressure on and us looking dangerous on the break. With just five minutes to go Victor Andrade put us in dreamland, making it 2-1 on the night and 4-2 on aggregate. We were on our way to the Champions League Final!!

So, so close. And yet so far. We gave an almighty effort and battled all the way with United. Of course they had the better of it, but we stuck with them all the way, and in the end we lost out to a goal just two minutes into the second period of extra time, which was scrambled in from a corner. We had some great chances after that to equalise and take it to penalties, but we just couldn't find the finish.

A great effort from the players, but United won 1-0 after extra time, which was probably deserved.

Excellent season, despite the league. Such a gulf at the top between you two. The added CL revenue should allow you to strengthen even more over the summer, although I guess your name will be in demand now so could this be the summer you move on...

You think I'd move on after losing the title in that fashion? Nonsense! :D

Porto will always be hard to overcome, they have have seven players over my top wage bracket of £25,000 p/w, and after being in the Champions League year on year they have the money to buy players who are ready to win trophies. My way, (youngsters coming in, developing, then selling for profit), wont change as I simply won't put the club back into the mess they were in when I first turned up. Yes I have agreed a deal to made Lorenzo Pezzi's loan deal permanent for around £12million, but he comes in on a four year contract on the top wage, so if I'm still at the club he'll be sold within three years.

Add to that fact that one or two players will be hard to keep hold of this season after us not winning the league, a bit of rebuilding may be needed. Unfair to leave at this stage.

You think I'd move on after losing the title in that fashion? Nonsense! :D

Glad to hear it!! I enjoyed my rebuilding over the summer. Building some solid foundations at the moment. Albeit on a small budget. Look forward to seeing your changes over the summer.

A very good season all-round. Runners-up in two competitions and a domestic double in the cups. Porto were just relentless in the league.

Porto are likely to be like that. I mean this summer they're signing an absolute superstar for £16.5million straight cash. Yes we've got Lorenzo Pezzi joining permanently for £13.25million, but that's with all sorts of clauses involved. The initial down payment is just £5million.

Nearly a perfect season there, glad to see you staying on.

Well, halfway to it!

Tough luck near the end with the CL final defeat and the league slipping away in April.

As I've said a few times, injuries simply caught up with us in the end. :thdn:

Glad to hear it!! I enjoyed my rebuilding over the summer. Building some solid foundations at the moment. Albeit on a small budget. Look forward to seeing your changes over the summer.

If you've seen my Tweet, there's one massive change. Joaquim. :(

I've just seen your tweet. Bad news indeed. What was his release?

£60million, same as a couple of others. They met it in full, but due to an absurd sell-on clause we only pick up £42.25million of it.

Unlucky in the CL final. Hopefully you can go one better next year.

I wouldn't imagine so. I think this season we got a touch fortunate in some of the games, (getting pummled but keeping the opposition out). Would see a quarter final appearance as a huge achievement, especially seen as we have a couple of qualifying rounds to go through just to get to the group stage.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Review 2018/19 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

Results 1 - Results 2

Final Table (2nd - Champions League Best Placed 3rd Qualifying Round)

Bitterly disappointing after the first period of the season where we won seventeen of our first eighteen games. After those eightteen games we were eight points clear, and even after a bit of a blip we had a four point lead after twentyone games. In the end we picked up a few injuries and I had to keep players fit for the Champions League, points we inevitably dropped, and a run of four draws in a row from the start of April finished us off. Credit to Porto they were relentless in the second half of the season and thoroughly deserved the title.

We'll be back and to determined to win it next season.

Taça de Portugal

Winners

Well from one extreme to the other. After going out in the 3rd round last season, this season we won the trophy with relative ease. After a great 3rd round game at Porto in which we came on top and won 1-0, we faced 3nd division sides all the way to the semi-finals, scoring thirteen goals in the process. Beira-Mar were seen off 4-0 on aggregate in the semi's despite me resting players because of Champions League commitments. In the final we faced 2nd division opposition again, this time in the shape of Estoril. We thumped them 4-1, totalling dominating.

More of the same next season please!

Taça da Liga

Winners

We went through the group stage in comfortable style again, winning all three of our games - infact we were the only side in any of the four groups to do so. This included a hammering of Olhanense and two close but comfortable wins over Maritimo and Arouca. We then had a crazy game against Braga in the semi finals but we thankfully came out on top in a 5-3 thriller. In the final we faced city rivals Sporting, and like last years final against Porto it went to penalties, only this time we won through 8-7 in the shootout!

Next season it may be a case of playing the younger players.

Champions League League

Runners-up

I simply can't express my surprise and delight at my first ever Champions League campaign. After the group we got drawn into I was kind of fearing an exit into the Europa League. I thought we could beat Helsnborg twice, and then just hope to take some points off Arsenal and Real at home to give us a chance. To go unbeaten drawing at both Arsenal and Real, and then beating them both at home, including thumping Real 4-1, was fabulous. Fourteen points from this group was amazing.

After winning our group we got a terrible draw - Bayern Munich. We achieved a 0-0 draw in Germany, a result which I see as one of our best in competiton, before beating them 2-0 in the home leg. To keep them to nil twice was mind blowing. Marseille gave us a much sterner test in the quarter finals, and after a 1-1 draw in France, we just about got past them at home, needing a late equaliser then an extra time penalty to win 2-1 in the night. Chelsea were our opponents in the semi-finals, and we twice beat them 2-1! W were actually 2-0 up at Stamford Bridge, and then losing 1-0 at half time in the second leg before roaring back to win it. 4-2 on aggregate, brilliant!

The stage was set. Manchester United our opponents in The Camp Nou. Could the fairy tale have a happy ending? We gave as good as we got, but we just came up short. They dominated really, (not terms of possession but attempts, etc), but we always looked dangerous on the break. After being down to ten men, (an injury after making all three subs), for the final nineteen minutes of normal time I thought we did well to hold out and take it to extra time. They lost their skipper Kevin Strootman in stoppage time, so extra time would be ten against ten. We had some great chances, but they got the only goal, scrambling home from a corner. 1-0 to United after extra time.

Gutted, but proud.

Other Info

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

Alot of players used this season due to injuries and the need to rotate in the latter stages of the campaign. We lacked a real goalscorer throughout this season with having players missing games here and there with jnuries. Just four players got to double figures, and the top scorer had just fifteen. That needs to be rectified next season.

Happy with our transfer dealings, and lavishing five players on one player was worth as he was superb throughout the season. We didn't offload any big players, so we didn't bring in many funds. All we did do was save on wages by letting one or two go who were on £10,000-ish p/w despite not being first teamers. It was diappointing to let Eduardo Salvio go, but he wanted to go due to a lack of games.

The finances are improving all the time, and the balance is roughly £5.5million better off than they are at this time, (early June), last year. Another year in the Champions League will help no end, if of fourse we make it through to the group stages.

Top 3 Players

Mattheus

Nowhere near the level he was at last season, but still our most creative player.

Foguete

£5million seemed like alot at the time to make his loan permanent, but it was money well spent. He was fantastic bombing forward from the right wingback position,

Brayan Restrepo

A rock. His value has rocketed this season, and unfortunately the vultures are now circling.

What Next

Well as some of you will have read already, a massive transfer out of the club has happened. Will all the money be reinvested? Probably not. That is not going to be my way here at Benfica. They were in a mess when I joined and I won't spend big and leave them in a similar mess as to what I found them in. We will stick to the plan of developing young players and competing that way.

How are my Former Clubs Doing?

Bukovyna

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season    |  League            |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2015/16  |  Premyer-Liha  |  9th         |                                                       |  Beaten in Europa Lge Playoff Rnd
| 2016/17  |  Premyer-Liha  |  16th       |  Relegated                                     |  
| 2017/18  |  Persha Liha     |  9th         |                                                       |  
| 2018/19  |  Persha Liha     |  1st          |  Promoted as Champs                   |  

A superb season as they won the title by fours points conceding just 18 goals in 34 games. The board takeover in late 2017 brought consolodation initially, (second half of last term), and then a great season this time around. With a bit of money to spend, (£29,000), they were able to bring in a couple of players to really strengthen and kick on. Excellent.

Brighton

| Season    |  League            |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
| 2017/18  |  Premier Lge    |  20th       |  Relegated                                     |
| 2018/19  |  Champ'ship     |  9th         |                                                       |

They finished just three points outside the playoffs, but a run of just one win in nine around February/March really finished their playoff hopes. Further players from the clubs year in the Premier League will need to be offloaded, so tough times may lay ahead.

£60million, same as a couple of others. They met it in full, but due to an absurd sell-on clause we only pick up £42.25million of it.

I wouldn't imagine so. I think this season we got a touch fortunate in some of the games, (getting pummled but keeping the opposition out). Would see a quarter final appearance as a huge achievement, especially seen as we have a couple of qualifying rounds to go through just to get to the group stage.

wow.

If you stick to your original plan of reinvesting in the youth team you could set Benfica up for long term success. Will you be looking to upgrade youth facilities and improve your scouting range to bring more players through your youth system, or will you be looking at taking youth products from around the world and developing them?

Excited to see how this one progresses. And you're about the best I've seen on here at taking defeat and spinning it into a positive. Something I need to learn to control better myself.

Good luck for the season ahead. Eagerly awaiting...

wow.

If you stick to your original plan of reinvesting in the youth team you could set Benfica up for long term success. Will you be looking to upgrade youth facilities and improve your scouting range to bring more players through your youth system, or will you be looking at taking youth products from around the world and developing them?

Excited to see how this one progresses. And you're about the best I've seen on here at taking defeat and spinning it into a positive. Something I need to learn to control better myself.

Good luck for the season ahead. Eagerly awaiting...

Well I don't imagine the AI would carry on my work when I leave, so it's as much about building up decent cash reserves for the club so when a new manager comes in and inevitably spends money, it shouldn't ruin them too soon.

I'm easy with which ever way I do it. I'm happy to bring in young players to the club and I'm happy to develop our own. Either way the club will make profit on those players aslong as I'm here.

Regarding taking defeats well, we lost just two games in the whole of last season. I'd be a bit of a mug not just take them on the chin.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Preview 2019/20 - Benfica

Board Expectations

Liga ZON Sagres - Qualify For Champions League

Taça de Portugal - Not Important

Taça da Liga - Not Important

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira - Not Important

Champions League - Reach Group Stage

Personal Expectations

Liga ZON Sagres - I'd Like To Reclaim It

Taça de Portugal - Be Nice To Retain It

Taça da Liga - Bloody Some Younger Players

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira - Lay Down A Marker By Beating Porto

Champions League - Reach Knockout Stages

The expectations are, well, as I expected. I chose the lowest possible expectations for the league knowing we are losing atleast one star player this summer, and that Porto look set to spend big again. Of course I think we can, and will, do better than just be looking to get into the Champions League, (the top automatically make the grup stage this season!!), but I'm a realist - Porto will strengthen with eastablished stars.

If we make it through the two Champions League qualifying rounds and get into the group stages, we could well be among the second seeds after last season exploits. As Ive already said, a quarter final appearance would be a great achievement.

Budgets

Transfer: £5,223,371

Wages: £591,874 p/w (Currently spending £291,296)

Balance: £10,223,182 (+£8,883,185)

The budgets are fine as I've done a bit of business already. Lorenzo Pezzi stays for a lower fee than what was in his loan contract, and I've got a couple of good young players coming in for free. The clubs balance will go up by an awful lot very soon once Joaquim Silva's move to Arsenal is finalised.

Well I don't imagine the AI would carry on my work when I leave, so it's as much about building up decent cash reserves for the club so when a new manager comes in and inevitably spends money, it shouldn't ruin them too soon.

I'm easy with which ever way I do it. I'm happy to bring in young players to the club and I'm happy to develop our own. Either way the club will make profit on those players aslong as I'm here.

Regarding taking defeats well, we lost just two games in the whole of last season. I'd be a bit of a mug not just take them on the chin.

I mean more defeat in the league, i.e., coming second. But I like the outlook and that's a fantastic achievement to only lose two.

Financially you're doing fantastic considering where you are when you took over. Plus balancing the books by the players you've offloaded.

I mean more defeat in the league, i.e., coming second. But I like the outlook and that's a fantastic achievement to only lose two.

Financially you're doing fantastic considering where you are when you took over. Plus balancing the books by the players you've offloaded.

Ahh, well yeah, the league. It just happens, can't do anything about it when you have atleast two of your first choice front three out for a sustained period of time. Especially when one of whom is your best player and he is out the longest. It's just tough luck. Simply got to regroup and go again next term.

And yeah the finances are great now that the Joaquim Silva deal has gone through. Balance is like £50million or something. :brock:

That sure was a fine season in the cups, you would take 2 trophies and a CL final over winning the league?

Not really sure. The cups are nice and all but not really important.

We were eight points clear at one stage so should have been winning the league without a doubt. The Champions League Final was just a bonus as I never expected it. In the end I was only resting players for it as I had so many inujured I couldn't manage their fitness properly.

Basically, I would have taken it before the start of the season, but it could have been better had it not been for the injuries.

Just finally got caught up with this thread. Read up to when you had got Brighton to the Championship the other night and tonight I read the rest. Wow, what a transformation at Benfica!

Out of interest why did you decline Stuttgart?

Thanks for the kind words, and always nice to have new people following. :)

The Stuttgart job? I simply couldn't leave for a club of similar/only slightly higher standing after losing the league the way I did. Plus, I'm enjoying it here. I've got some good young players coming through and there's more success to be had.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Preseason 2019/20 - Benfica

Transfers

CareerSave-BenficaPreseasonTransfers-2019-20_zpsb3852b00.png

An awful lot of business this summer, (there were even more players released than the screenshot shows!), with us signing no less than twelve players! That was all possible thanks to the sale of Joaquim Silva, who moved to Arsenal after they met hs release clause in full. Because of a sell-on clause we didn't see all of that money, but still got £42.25million from the deal. Rodrigo also left as he only has one year left on his contract and wouldn't accept my maximum wage of £25,000 p/w. Zakaria Labyad and Fabio were both surplus to requirements and we did well to get the fee's we did for them.

Here are the players that have come into the club;

Rodolfo Cufre

Tried to sign a couple of years ago but it didn't happen. Now he has cost nothing. Mentals need some work, but should be a good player for us.

Quintino Cetin

Erm, great freebie. Can play a variety of positions and has some cracking attributes already. Sure to make the club some good profit in the futuree.

Davi

Terrific player, who can retrained into a multitude of other positions. Great versatility which will be invaluable.

Lorenzo Pezzi

Paid alot to push his loan through, but he shou;d be worth it. The deal is actually worth £13.25million depending on certain clauses. Out initial outlay was £5million.

Jordi

Back-up goalkeeper after Artur retired.

Edson Henrique

A good young striker who has plenty of room to develop. Could play a role this season in cup games.

Michael Robin

With Rui Miguel looking like leaving at one point, I wanted to get another M/AMC in. Only on loan this season, but he can be bought for £2.5million.

Miguel Angel Ferreras

Offers alot of pace and will be probably be deployed down the wing. Great quality and has a great future.

Marcos

Terrific young player who can play a few positions. Has great technicals, but needs a bit of work elsewhere.

Roberval

Plenty of work needs doing but he has only just turned eighteen. I reckon he can prove to be a decent little player for us.

Guilherme Siqueira

A back-up choice at leftback after Fabio left.

Daniel Felipe

With no out-and-out AMR in the squad I felt one needed bringing in, even though I don't often use one. Mentals need some work, but he has the look of a good player. Can be bought for £1million.

Preseason Friedlies

CareerSave-BenficaPreseasonFixtures-Jul2019_zps00ec5232.png

Some good friendlies before the Champions League qualifiers started. We were knackered heading into the first game having only been back training a few days, so the loss wasn't a worry. After we started getting a bit more sharpness we were doing much better, and the football, if not the defending, was much better in the last two games in Korea.

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira

CareerSave-BenficaSuperCupFixtures-Aug2019_zps9cb1a40f.png

Really poor performance from us, and we deserved to lose out on the trophy. Had we won it on penalties, it'd have been a bit of a travesty. We were missing our two main CB's who were still neing nursed back to fitness after a busy summer at the Copa America. Porto deservedly won the shootout 4-1.

Champions League - Bet Placed 3rd Qualifying Phase 1st & 2nd Leg

CareerSave-ChampsQualiGames-Jul2019_zps21d4d64d.png

Not the easiest draw we could have got, but we need not worry as we swept Hapoel Tel-Aviv aside. We actually fell behind in the home leg, but that seemed to be just the kick up the bum the side needed as we quickly responded. It was 2-1 by halftime, and we never looked in trouble in the second half. We added another late on just to wrap it up a little. The second leg was no truble at all, as we dominated the play and comfortably won 2-0 to complete a 5-1 aggregate win.

We face Besiktas in the playoff round, with the winners of course qualifying for the group stage.

Some cracking regens you have there, Tom. Looking forward to seeing Pezzi develops. He looks like he has some serious potential at only 21 his attributes are already really good. Cetin also looks like an exciting player.

Another penalty shootout loss. Do you ever go into these thinking you can win?

Archived