• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

120px-Brighton_%26_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - April 2016 - Brighton

League One

CarrerSave-BrightonLge1Fixtures-Apr2016_zps1dbc30f6.png

CarrerSave-BrightonLge1Table-Apr2016_zps65fdf0c1.png

An outstanding final month of the season as we won five out of five and also got out biggest win of the season.

The month began with a comfortable 3-0 win away at eventually relegated Bury. We set off like a rocket going 2-0 up after just eight minutes, and from then on we were cruising. Another was added late on in what was a simple win. We put in a great performance against Coventry, putting them to sword in fine style. In our final home game of the season Gillingham put in a good performance , but we battled to victory with the winner coming just after the hour mark. That victory meant we broke another record. We then gave Port Vale a bloody nose inm their own backyard, but we were helped by them having a man sent off after just 22mins - we were 2-0 up already, however. Our final game of the season was at fellow promoted side Millwall, and we again came up with the goods against a decent side. The winner may have come from the spot, but we deserved the win.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Review 2015/16 - Brighton

League One

Results 1 (Before I Took Over) - Results 2 - Results 3

Final Table (1st - Promoted as Champions)

Well what can I say - the results speak for themselves. Poor before I took over, and excellent afterwards. The previous manager left us in a bit of a pickle, but I'm not sure how as there was a decent base to work with. With a few signings things turned around extremely quickly and we infact went the rest of the season unbeaten, finishing with a record points tally. Superb.

FA Cup

Eliminated In 3rd Round

We put in a couple of solid performances against Dagenham & Redbridge and Port Vale, winning both games 3-1. In the 3rd round we came up against the giants that are Manchester United. 3-0 was a a bit flattering for them in all honesty as we put upa decent fight, and the experience should stand us in good stead in the future.

League Cup

Eliminated In 2nd Round (Before I took Over)

This had nothing to do with me. But to get hammered by a Championship club like that in the second round though was totally unacceptable from the players.

Johnstones Paint Trophy

Eliminated In Area Semi-Final (1st Round Before I took Over)

Was disappointed in the way in which we went out. The Wycombe game was my first in charge of Brighton, and it was an exciting game. We then got past Brentford comfortable enough, before a terrible performance against League Two Kidderminster saw us eliminated. Disappointed though I was with the performance, I can't honestly ay I was too bothered.

Other Info

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

As you can see alot of players were used this season. I'll be looking at cutting the squad down for next season - quality, not quantity.

Regarding the "Trasnfers" screenie, only those below the red line were made after my arrival, (excpet on the "In" section, Rodri was not brought in by me - I drew the line in the wrong place and only just noticed!). Most of what I brought in did a good job. Stefano Padovan barely played though due to injuries, unfortunately.

Financially we're looking solid for a club just going up to the Championship. Not sure how long that will last though as we've little we can sell and I would expect a decent little transfer kitty next term.

Top 3 Players

Joe Newell

Assist machine. He was superb in the second half of the season when I switched him to AML. Long may it continue.

Michael Bostwick

A rock at the back. With Matthew Upson retiring he'll be our full time captain next season.

Yakubu

Started off like a house on fire but suffered as I changed shape in the second half of the season. Still, his 15 goals and 4 assists in 30 League One appearances were still invaluable.

What Next

Build for next season. We've already secured a few signings, most notably loanee's Harry McGinty and Dylan Russel who are signing on free transfers from our feeder club Celtic.

How are my Former Clubs Doing?

Bukovyna

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season    |  League            |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2015/16  |  Premyer-Liha  |  9th         |                                                       |  Beaten in Europa Lge Playoff Rnd

A good season for them in all honesty as they finished in midtable - they were never going to repeat the third place we achieved the previous year. The disappointment was the 7-0 aggregate hammering they suffered against Rubin Kazan in the Europa League Playoff Round.

Great season :thup:.

Thank you as always.

Great season. Hopefully, you'll be able to stay up next season.

I'd be very annoyed if we didn't. Not saying we'll be pushing promotion, but if we even flirt with relegation I'll see it as a failure.

Romped away to the title, great season.

Thanks Gaz. In the end it did look a bit simple I suppose.

Well done Tom great season with Brighton, looks like you were unstoppable in league 1!

Cheers. In the end it was a touch easier than I imagined it might be when I took over.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Preview 2016/17 - Brighton

Board Expectations

Championship - Respectable League Position

FA Cup - Reach 4th Round

League Cup - Reach 3rd Round

Personal Expectations

Championship - Try Push Towards Playoffs

FA Cup - A Run Would Be Nice For Finances

League Cup - Not Too Fussed

Sound expectations from the board, but I'd like to atleast try and finish in the top six. Maybe I'm being too ambitious too early, but I'm in a rush to get to the top. Regarding the cup competitions, the only motivation for any kind of run for me is financial.

Budgets

Transfer: £3,384,946

Wages: £265,749 p/w (Currently spending £239,744)

Balance: £7,118,099 (-£10,298,524)

The finances have taken a battering since I took over. Alot of that was down to ground maintenace throughout the year of around £4million, and a tax bill just short of £3million. There were also a few promotion wage clauses in players contracts that I wasn't aware about that have massively increased the wage bill.

Thankfully over the course of the season we will recieve £3million in Championhip TV Revenue that will help ease things. We've also done an awful lot of our transfer business already, so their shouldn't be much more expenditure in that regard.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Preseason 2016/17 - Brighton

Transfers

BrightonPreseasonTransfers-2016-17_zpsb57ec44b.png

A busy summer as eleven came in and thirteen went out. A few of those who left played a big part in helping us get promoted, especially Rodri and in latter stages of the season Rohan Ince. However with promotion better players are needed so they needed to be moved on unfortunately.

Here are those eleven who came into the club;

Harry McGinty

He did well for us last term and I couldn't resist snapping him up on a free. He's young and has plenty of room to get better still. One way or another he's destined for a higher level.

Dylan Russell

In the same boat as McGinty, except of course a year older. There is room for him to get better.

Ricky Forbes

Good young midfielder, but maybe not going straight into the team as I think his mentals need a little work.

Barry O'Neil

A strange one this. Could be a bit of a wildcard. His pace and off the ball movement are good, and if his finishing and composure can be improved he could be a decent little striker.

Jack Stephens

Excellent for us last season on loan, and was surprised we got him so cheap. As with other signings, he has room to get better yet.

Sean Scannell

His pace and dribbling will add another element to our attacking play. His wages are a bit over the top I guess, but if he gives us a few goals to kick us up towards the playoffs then great.

Connor Brady

Good young leftback who was brought in as cover for Rhoys Wiggins. However, Wiggins has got injured in preseason so Brady will get his chance to shine early.

Owain fon Williams

Will probably be our first choice this campaign. There's not much between him and Tom Starke, but fon Williams will be here longer term.

Leon Britton

Excellent signing but he is on excessive wages a bit. His mentals though are fantastic and he has a some miles in his legs yet.

Callum Chambers

Great signing. He'll definitely be our first choice rightback this season.

Jose Manuel Coelho

Lovely little young player. He has plenty of room to get better, and I think he is destined for a higher level than the Championship.

Preseason Friedlies

BrightonPreseasonFixtures-2016-17_zpsdce2bb51.png

Some good performances to get match fitness and morale up ahead of the new season. Disappointed to concede twice in our final match, but six wins from six and a few goals scored represents a good preseason.

The season starts on July 30th against Oldham at the Amex.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - July/August 2016 - Brighton

The Championship

CareerSave-BrightonChampFixtures-Jul-Aug2016_zpsb3cd1dc7.png

CareerSave-BrightonChampTable-Aug2016_zpsa99682e4.png

Well I'm very pleased with the start we've had, to say the very least!

We were superb on the opening day against Oldham, who finished a respectable 15th last season, as we gave them a bit of bloody nose. Vagner Love, playing from the right, got a brace, and new signing Sean Scannell grabbed one late on the wrap things up. Against Peterborough we were fantastic for the opening 45mins and lead 3-0 at the break. However, we were poor in the second half and in the end lucky to hold out. Burnley them came to the Amex and we played them off the park, but had trouble finiding the net. Still, a win here meant we had won three from three. A disappointing draw against Sunderland followed as we outplayed them but against struggled to scrore more when on top. As it was, Sunderland equalised with just eleven minutes to go. We then suffered from an even later goal against Stoke. After trailining earlier in the second half, Vagner Love equalised, and then with just two minutes to go Stefano Padovan got what looked like the winner. However in the 92nd minute, Stoke pegged us back to snatch a point.

Still, I'm pleased with our start at this level. Our next game after the international break is a big one - Crystal Palace away.

League Cup 1st & 2nd Round

CareerSave-BrightonLCFixtures-Aug2016_zpscd4fcef2.png

We controlled the whole game againt League One Crawley, comfortably beating them 2-0. Premier League opposition then came to the Amex, and despite needing two penalties late on the secure the win, we were magnificent. The Swans came hard at us early on, but a great breakout led to leftback Connor Brady giving us a surprise lead. From then on we really got into the game, and twice on the break we won penalties late on to give us a terrific 3-0 win.

August Transfer Dealings

A man that really helped us get promoted last term left the club in August; Yakubu. He wasn't likely to play too much this term, so his wages of more than £10,000 p/w really weren't justifiable. We wish him well at Barnsley, (who paid us £10k), and hope he doesn't come back to haunt us.

Two players also joined us in August to bolster the squad that bit more;

Michale Keane

A solid little player to bring in for free. May well be a squad player initially, but will no doubt get his chance.

David Targamadze

A bit of pace, can play either side - should be a nice little signing. He cost just an initial £115k, but it could rise to just over £200k depending on a couple of clauses.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - September 2016 - Brighton

The Championship

CareerSave-BrightonChampFixtures-Sept2016_zpsb28c9e7f.png

CareerSave-BrightonChampTable-Sept2016_zps40698c56.png

A bit of a mixed month, but I'm thrilled at how we've taken to life in the Championship.

The month began with a 1-1 draw at rivals Crystal Palace. We took the lead early on through Larnell Cole, but Palace hit back twenty minutes later. After that a real ding-dong battle was played out, but neither side could find a winner. Barnsley were then torn apart in little over half an hour as we beat them 3-1. They grabbed one back early in the second half, but we just played out time from then on. We then tore Birmingham apart and scored two quick goals in the opening fifteen minutes. We dominated throughout, but only managed to add to our tally in stoppage time. Our first league defeat of the season followed as Ipswich totally nullified our attacking play and hit us twice on the counter attack. We rounded the month off by taking a good point away at leaders Wolves, but it could have been so much better. We twice went ahead, but they pegged us back, the second time from the penalty spot after a fould that saw us go down to ten men. However, we had a great chance to win it late on, but Harry McGinty missed a golden chance when through on goal.

Next up is a visit from Bristol City.

League Cup 3rd Round

CareerSave-BrightonLCFixtures-Sept2016_zps5f01b53a.png

It looks bad, but it wasn't. We played well in the opening twenty minutes, but they scored twice in four minutes to basically kill the tie. We gave it a go, but couldnt get a goal to get back into it, and they wrapped it up late on with a third.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - October/November 2016 - Brighton

The Championship

October

CareerSave-BrightonChampFixtures-Oct2016_zps62631329.png

Another mixed month, but with four away fixtures and just two at home, a return of nine points isn't all that bad.

We dominated against Bristol City but despite leading at the break, they pegged us back. We couldn't find a winner and had to settle for just a point. A good point at Reading followed, but we should have won it really. A great win at fellow seaside club Bournemouth came next. They took the lead early, but we hit back before the break. We took complete control in the second period and took an excellent three points. Another disappointing draw against Middlesbrough followed, as they pegged us back in the 91st minute after we had taken the lead around the hour mark. Derby County then gave us a bit of a bloody nose in all honesty, in what was our poorest performance of the season by far. We bounced back from that defeat though by thumping Nottingham Forrest 5-1 in what was our best performance of the campaign by some distance.

November

CareerSave-BrightonChampFixtures-Nov2016_zps3c73f522.png

CareerSave-BrightonChampTable-Oct-Nov2016_zpsdd57c8cd.png

Well, yet another mixed month, but a run of three cleansheets in a row has been pleasing.

West Ham came to the Amex and simply took their chances, whereas we didn't. On that basis, the defeat was deserved. Their rivals Millwall then visited us, and we put in another disappointing display infront of goal. Thankfully we managed to keep them out at the other end and take a point. Sheffield Wednesday dominated possession against us, but we took our chances to get a much needed win. The month was rounded off with a 0-0 draw away at Wigan, which is realistically a good result as they're also up and around the playoff spots with us.

December begins with a visit from Leicester City.

I won't mention your next fixture again :(

A mixed time, but even dropping out of the playoffs isn't a disaster this early on in the Championship as it's so close that a couple of wins will have you right back up there again. What are Forrest doing at the top?

I won't mention your next fixture again :(

A mixed time, but even dropping out of the playoffs isn't a disaster this early on in the Championship as it's so close that a couple of wins will have you right back up there again. What are Forrest doing at the top?

You better not do, jinx!!!

I reckon this mixed form was to be expected in all honesty. I mean I thought our wage bill was pretty high, but you should see what some of the other clubs are paying out. To my mind we're really punching above our weight right now.

As for Forrest, lord knows in all honesty. They were dradful against us and it should have been more than five.

As a Palace fan I bloody hate Brighton.

And I hate the fact you have Wiggins and Scannell.

But, keep up the good work.

I hope Palace go up!

Thanks, I think. :D

In my defence Wiggins was already at the club when I took over, so I can't be blamed for that one.!

The Championship is ridiculous because you have the relegated clubs coming down and they don't cut the wage bill appropriately.

I'm just about to get promoted with my small Barakaldo side. We're going up into the Spanish Liga Adelante. I have no idea how we're going to compete financially as we have a tiny budget and ground, but it'll be a good challenge.

I think playoffs has to be realistic for you?

The Championship is ridiculous because you have the relegated clubs coming down and they don't cut the wage bill appropriately.

I'm just about to get promoted with my small Barakaldo side. We're going up into the Spanish Liga Adelante. I have no idea how we're going to compete financially as we have a tiny budget and ground, but it'll be a good challenge.

I think playoffs has to be realistic for you?

Ahh Barakaldo, is that you on Twitter then?!

The thing is I genuinely felt we had a big budget for this league and were spending alot when the transfer window had closed, (we've got three players on over £20,000 p/w and for a team only just promoted to the Championship I thought that was a lot of expenditure on just three players), but then I had a look at the stats for the league, and our Salary Per Annum in some £2million less than that of Nottingham Forrest, who in the list are one place above ourn tenth. Stoke, who are 1st, are spending £34.73million per annum!!

And yes, I reckon we should be looking at playoffs come the end of the season.

Ahh Barakaldo, is that you on Twitter then?!

The thing is I genuinely felt we had a big budget for this league and were spending alot when the transfer window had closed, (we've got three players on over £20,000 p/w and for a team only just promoted to the Championship I thought that was a lot of expenditure on just three players), but then I had a look at the stats for the league, and our Salary Per Annum in some £2million less than that of Nottingham Forrest, who in the list are one place above ourn tenth. Stoke, who are 1st, are spending £34.73million per annum!!

And yes, I reckon we should be looking at playoffs come the end of the season.

Yes, that's me.

Have Forrest been up and come back down to have that much more of a budget than you? I cannot imagine they bring in more money than you per season. Stoke's budget is insane for that division.

Have Forrest been up and come back down to have that much more of a budget than you? I cannot imagine they bring in more money than you per season. Stoke's budget is insane for that division.

No Forrest have remained in the Championship throughout the save, and have got the same chairman as at the start, so no tycoon or anything like that. They have however done well in the transfer market, buying low and selling high.

Stoke on the other hand were in the Premier League for the first two years of the save, and this is their second year down in the Championship. They have ELEVEN players on £23,000 p/w or more!

• 2 weeks later...
Brilliant work with Brighton so far mate. Have a good holiday.

Thanks alot Gaz. Looking forward to Saturday when I can get on it again!!

Nice bit of inspiration, now i've finally got to grips with the tactics i think i might give an unemployed start a go.

You won't regret it. I always find them to be the most enjoyable saves.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - December 2016 - Brighton

The Championship

CareerSave-BrightonChampFixtures-Dec2016_zps18b78803.png

CareerSave-BrightonChampTable-Dec2016_zps901d53bf.png

A great month for us kept us well in touch with the automatic promotion spots.

The month began with a dominant win over Leicester in which we fully deserved to take all three points. The only blot on the copy book was their late consolation. Stevenage then came to town, and in all honesty we had no answer to their packed midfield as they took a deserved point away from the Amex. A stonking 3-0 win at big spending QPR followed, who are struggling following relegation from the Premier League last term. However, that takes nothing away from a cracking away performance from us. We then just about saw off Peterborough on Boxing Day, but my, my did we have to work for it. December finished with a 3-2 win at rock bottom Oldham in what was a very frustrating performance. After being comfortably 2-0 up after an hour they came back to 2-2 and were pushing us hard. Fortunately we broke away and Stefano Padovan earned us what could be a crucial three points come the end of the season.

January begins with a trip to struggling Burnley.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - January 2017 - Brighton

The Championship

CareerSave-BrightonChampFixtures-Jan2017_zps4f44e5cb.png

CareerSave-BrightonChampTable-Jan2017_zps69a4e498.png

We're not exactly playing free flowing football without a minute, but we're getting results and ten points from four games in a terrific return.

The New Year started with a fairly poor 0-0 draw at Burnley. We weren't at our best but we took a point so I was pleased enough. We got back to winning ways with a very late win against playoff chasing Stoke, but after struggling throughout the game I was delighted that we nicked the win. A 1-0 win at Barnsley followed, and again it wasn't a great performance but we took the points. The month was finished off with another sneaky victory against rivals Crystal Palace, with their former player Rhoys Wiggins grabbing the points with a corking strike fourteen minutes from time.

We're six points off second place but have a game in hand. Automatic promotion, perhaps?

The FA Cup - 3rd Round

CareerSave-BrightonFACFixtures-Jan2017_zps15cfe846.png

This was a game which really brought home the gulf in class between the Premier League and the Championship. Were flying high at the top of the Championship and Leeds down the bottom of the Premier League, yet they gave us a real lesson here in using the ball better. We dominated the possession, but Leeds were clinical when they got forward and thoroughly deserved the win they got.

Transfers

No permanent transfers in or out this month, but with our struggles infront of goal throughout the last couple of months a loan signing was secured on transfer deadline day;

Cheick Diabate

He's not a superstar by any stretch, but if he can grab us a few goals to kick us on towards automatic promotion, then I'll be thrilled. As I've said we've struggled recently, and maybe a bit of new blood can help us infront of goal.

Archived