Insert Interesting Name Here - Tomtuck's Second FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom, I notice you always take your assistant with you. When you leave clubs is this an option or did you have to manually approach him with a contract once you'd moved?

Only been my assistant since Brighton - he was just a coach at Bukovyna.

Both times he has been relieved of his duties when I left, so I've just picked him up on a free and sacked the assistant currently at the club. The assistants at both Brighton and Benfica were probably better than Bezerra, but I just like to keep things realistic and thus surround myself with staff I've had at other clubs.

183px-SL_Benfica_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - September/October 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

September

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Sep2020_zps4cdcc581.png

A gret month - three wins from three and just one goal conceded.

We started with a solid if unspectacular win at home to Estoril. They put up a good fight against us but we finally broke through thanks to a penalty just twenty-three minutes from time and then wrapped it up soon afterwards. We then thumped our boggie side Olhanense 3-0 at their place with some big players stepping up for us at a ground we often struggle at. A 4-1 win at Maritimo finished off the month, and that young star Daniel Felipe grabbed himself another couple of goals to help maintain our 100% start to the season.

October

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Oct2020_zpsb69dba5e.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Sep-Oct2020_zps25604981.png

And the wins just keep on coming - it's now nine out of nine.

Braga were put to the sword despite a few players being rested after a gruelling trip to Lyon in the Champions League. Three of the more back-up players got on the scoresheet as they staked a claim for a regular place in the first team. We then gave Sporting a real bloody nose thanks to youngster Arnaldo Franca scoring four of our goals as we routed them 5-2. We were 2-0 up and then 3-1, with goals coming from Frana (2) and one from Lorenzo Pezzi. Sporting got it back to 3-2 in the 56th minute, but then Franca went on the grab another two goals to complete their humiliation. A comfortable 2-0 win at Guimaraes rounded off the month with Mattheus and youngster Edson Henrique getting our goals.

Five points clear, but free scoring Porto have a game in hand. Up next is a trip to Portimonense.

Champions League - Group Stage

September

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Sep2020_zps767664c1.png

A disappointing start to the campaign as we drew both our opening games.

We started with a really poor performance at home to Ajax, and in truth we were fortunate to get a point. We improved away to Lyon, and got what was a good point this time. Lyon had alot more shots than us, but plenty of them were from long range. They took the lead six minutes before the break, but then we equalised nineteen minutes from time to square it up at 1-1 to mean we had two points from two games.

October

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Oct2020_zps21476b6f.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Sep-Oct2020_zpsc70a9d48.png

A ridiuclous game, but we came away with all three points atleast and are now in a much healthier position than we were after two games. We fell behind early but were 3-1 up after just eighteen minutes. However just five minutes later Zenit had pulled it back to 3-2, and soon into the second half they had got it back to 3-3. We won it though with 17mins to go when Ricardo Kishna slotted home after a nice counter attack.

A trip to Zenit beckons, where three points will be vital.

Taça de Portugal - 3rd Round (October)

CareerSave-BenficaPFACFixtures-Oct2020_zpsfc2a7b08.png

A very good performance from the young players, and from Daniel Felipe especially who smashed in five of our seven goals! We were totally dominant throughout and the scoreline really didn't flatter us. One or two certainly played their way into the first team on a more regular basis aswell, which is very pleasing indeed.

In the 4th round we face rivals Sporting at home.

Can't really have any complaints in the league at all. Sitting nicely in Europe, although a victory or two will be needed.

Can see Europe being quite tough really. Got two difficult away games and Lyon to finish with at home. They have a terrific side. :(

Another great start. CL looks a little tougher for you this time around.

I think the issue may be massive team(s) to raise our game against. Even though we've done excellently in the last two years, I still think we're not quite at the level of the very best. In this group there are three teams who are very evenly matched, and it's showing.

There's also the fact that I let some very good players go in the summer and put my trust in youth even more! :D

Bruno Gama's Management Career - November 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Nov2020_zps1b5c4ecf.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Nov2020_zps53a229b8.png

Two away games, two wins. 100% record in tact.

The month started with a thumping win at Portimonense with youngsters Sergio Alves and Daniel Felipe getting on the scoresheet. In only our second and last league game of the month we won 3-1 at Setubal, again with a couple of young boys making an impact. Fabio Carboni got just his first goal since joining us on loan in the summer.

Things are still going well. We have just two game again in December due to our involvement in the Club World Cup.

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Nov2020_zpsbaeb38a2.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Nov2020_zps1bd5f957.png

Well, things are looking a bit sticky going into the final game.

The away game in Russia against Zenit went superbly. We totally dominated them and comfortably ran out 3-0 winners. Going into the Ajax game we knew a draw would be a good result, but unfortunately things didn't work out like that. It was a very even contest, but Ajax took one their chances and we didn't. A 1-0 defeat that could very damaging.

We go into the last game at home to Lyon knowing there are plenty of possibilites. However, we must atleast match what Ajax do to stand a chance of going through. If we draw and Ajax win, that's it, we're out!

Taça de Portugal - 4th Round

CareerSave-BenficaPFACFixtures-Nov2020_zpsdf091251.png

A great performance against our big city rivals. We completely blew them away in the opening period and were 3-0 up after just sixteen minutes. Youngster Joan Pedro got two of them, and I was loving that! Sporting got one back before the break, but we were always in control of things and got a fourth late on the seal the rout.

In the fifth round we face a trip to Varzim of the second division.

You're in the same situation as me. Going into the final game against the group leaders needing a result. I fancy your chances more than mine though...

Excellent and consistent in the league as always though.

The league is always the same in the first half of the season - I like to get the job done so that I can concerntrate on the Champions League in the second half of the camapign.

Only touble is this year is that the Champions League is not a given. :(

CareerSave-GamaSpursInterest-Dec2020_zpsee892834.png

It's a big club who haven't delivered much for a long time, (just one major trophy since they won the League Cup back in 2008), so there is much scope to take the club forward. They've finished fifth three years in a row but currently find themselves in the bottom half of the league.

CareerSave-SpursOfferInterview-Dec2020_zpse4b84d03.png

I have of course decided to attend this interview.

Would be a good and challenging career move for you that. Good luck with the interview

Thanks. Would be nice to start somewhere fresh again. Realistically I've done all I can with Benfica.

Best of luck with the interview. Always a good challenge in North London.

Cheers. Looking forward to hopefully building them up. Fingers crossed they choose me!

Bruno Gama's Management Career - December 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Dec2020_zps13e4d2bb.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Dec2020_zpsfc77f44e.png

Another two wins, and it's now thirteen out of thirteen.

Both wins were very comfortable despite the close scorelines. I was delighted against Arouca that we did win so comfortably as they often provide a bit of a test. Joao Pedro was on the scoresheet, which is always nice. He got the only goal of the game aswell at home to Beira-Mar to give us another three points.

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Dec2020_zpsbeed95d2.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Dec2020_zpsf30f91ad.png

What a stonking performance in such a huge game. We knew we more than likely had to beat Lyon with Ajax likely to beat Zenit. Despite being third start of the game, a win for us would put us through as group winners, with Lyon second on the same points, and Ajax third also on the same points!

We flew out of the traps and led after just three minutes. After just over half an hour we were 3-0 up and things were looking superb for our qualification chances. Lyon got one back in the 35th minute, but just two minutes later we restored our three goal lead. We then defended well in the second period and were in little trouble. We qualified top of the group following the 4-1 win.

The draw for the next round couldn't have gone much better. By far and away the "easiest" draw.

Club World Cup - Semi-Final and 3rd Place Playoff

CareerSave-BenficaCWCFixtures-Dec2020_zps2671f23c.png

Well, this was unexpected. I sent out my strongest available team against Suwon, but it just didn't happen for us on the day. We really did dominate and create good chances, but failed to take them. It went all the way to penalties, and Suwon won the shootout 4-3. I was stunned.

We got the consolation of third place thanks to a 5-0 win[/b] against Tunisian side Club Africain. It was a good performance, but I was bitterly disappointed to only finish third, even if I didn't prioritise this trophy at the start of the season. Still, a nice performance to end my reign at Benfica.

Cryptic...

A mix bunch of results. Excellent in the league and CL, but disappointing in the WCC. Still, a fantastic reign with Benfica. Spurs have nabbed a gooden'

It was disappointing yes, and bitterly so because of the move in prospect. I really wish I'd left them a World Champions. :(

Hey Tom, which shape(s) have you been using with Benfica?

I've used a few different ones in all honesty, so there's not really much point going into it as I'd be here all day. 4-4-2 has been a common one, produces plenty of goals if not much defensive stability.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - December 30th 2020

BREAKING NEWS

CareerSave-GamaJoinsSpurs-Dec2020_zps55e0fae8.png

Huge news coming from North London tonight, and it seems that Tottenham have managed to secure the services of Bruno Gama as their new manager. This is thought to be a major coup for Spurs, as many believed that Gama would not be willing to leave Benfica at this time. However, Spurs chairman Paul Byrne seem to have done enough to persuade him to leave the current Champions League holders, and indeed agreed a compensation package that has allowed this move to happen.

Statement from Bruno Gama;

I am delighted to have the opportunity to work again in England. Tottenham are a fabulous club and I'm really looking forward to working here.

I loved every minute of my time at Benfica, and I would be lying if I said I didn't have my doubts about leaving them. However, this was a chance, and a change, I felt I had to take now. Tottenham have a great structure in place and the ingredients for success are all here. It's my job to bring that succes and I fully intend to do so. Firstly though we have to look climb the table as quickly as possible. It's simply not good enough that we're down in twelthth place at the halfway point in the season.

Benfica will always be a part of me, and I'd like to thank all the staff, players, and fans for all the support they gave me in my three and a half years with them.

CareerSave-BenficaStaffDepartures-Dec2020_zpsfce13b19.png

Great write up. That's an impressive career considering how you found the club. I'd be very interested to see how they do after you've set them up financially. Would be a shame for the new manager to come in and start spending beyond their means and get them into trouble again.

Good luck at Spurs.

You've certainly earned your...

Erm? :D

Great write up. That's an impressive career considering how you found the club. I'd be very interested to see how they do after you've set them up financially. Would be a shame for the new manager to come in and start spending beyond their means and get them into trouble again.

Good luck at Spurs.

Well we'll see what happens to them. Hopefully we can get some money together and I can steal some of their players! That'll be tough, as I left them in a fabulous financial position - the status is described as "Excellent" and a transfer kitty of £88million is available! I hope the new manager doesn't go crazy. :(

Good luck with Spurs.

Thanks as always. :)

121px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - New Club - Tottenham

Full Name: Tottenham Hotspur Football Club

Nickname: Spurs

Year Founded: 1882

Stadium: New White Hart Lane (56,250 all-seater)

CareerSave-SpursBackground-Dec2020_zps3c47fe13.png

Alot of history at this club, but not a bug recent history. My job is to try and add to these achievements. I've signed on until summer 2023, but I am already looking beyond that. Firstly though we have to look the climb the league table. As I've already said just one trophy since 2008, and that was the Europa League in 2017. I doubt I'll be adding to that immediately, but who knows.

Finances And Squad

CareerSave-SpursFinancesUponJoining-Dec2020_zps845f1ddd.png

Not great currently, but they are projected to get better. Disappointed with the amount of transfer revenue I get to spend though, could have done with that being much higher. A few players will be moved on in January though as if nothing else I want to strip the wage bill back. It's huge, and there are a few who are just not worth what they are on.

CareerSave-SpursSquadUponJoining-Dec2020_zps89871c78.png

This is a solid enough squad, but it needs a bit of younger blood bring into it. Whether I'll be doing that in the coming window or just looking to bring in players to do aswell as possible in the here and now is another issue though. As I've said, I'll be moving some players on in this window to try and generate some funds.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Brief - 2020/21 - Tottenham

Board Expectations

Premier League - Compete Alongside The Top Teams

FA Cup - Reach Semi-Finals

League Cup - Not Important

Europa League - Reach Final

Personal Expectations

Premier League - Just do aswell as possible

FA Cup - I don't really mind

League Cup - We're in the Semi-Finals - Win it

Europa League - Couldn't care less

Budgets

Transfer: £4,170,764

Wages: £1,915,047 p/w (Currently spending £1,928,368)

Balance: -£19,328,072

Personally I think the expectations of the board are very tough for this stage of the season. Given the finances aswell I think it's going to be tough to achieve what they want this campaign. I guess that could result in me getting sacked, but I can only give it my all.

We currently sit 12th in the league, but things are very tight with us just five points off fifth place. Getting in the top four will be tough though, as they are eleven points clear of fifth right now!

Luuk De Jong and Borini upfront :D Good luck :thup:

Err there'll probably be on their way out, as will Benteke. :D

Got Dzeko in my reserves too, and I'll be looking to use him before he retires in the summer. Also in the reserves there is Etienne Capoue, (leaving), Kyle Walker, (leaving), and Luke Shaw (long term injury). Got a great set of players!

That's not a bad squad, but the funds available to build are pathetic for them. Only 35% received from player sales too. Good luck, Tom. Really looking forward to seeing how this next chapter turns out.

P.s. I may have to borrow the format of your updates. :D

Well, I did take the format from SRL originally- but I've made them better. :D

Yeah the finances are poor, and that's down to not getting in the Champions League for the last few years, (had four fifth place finishes and a seventh place in the last five seasons), and alot of overspending. :thdn:

Bruno Gama's Management Career - January 2021 - Tottenham

Transfers

Considering I joined the club just a couple of days before the January transfer window, I thought I best bring you up to speed with all the moves before diving into how we have done results wise this month.

As you have all seen, when I left Benfica almost all of my staff were relased from their contracts. As I did when I left Brighton for Benfica, I decided to bring them with me when I joined Tottenham. All but one of them came with me, (the one that didn't was a scout who rejected a contract - retiring I think), an extra fitness coach was brought in, (also Portuguese), and twelve staff members were allowed to leave. So huge changes have taken place at New White Hart Lane in a very short space of time.

CareerSave-StaffTransfers-Jan2021_zpsc45b4218.png

Aswell as there being staaff changes after me joining the club, there was also a fair bit of transfer activity. Three players came in from Benfica at great expense, and I also let a few players leave. The players I let go I didn't get great fee's for, but I did get plenty of big money off the wage bill. So much so infact that during the month or so I've been in charge the weekly wage bill has been cut by some £325,000.

CareerSave-WinterTransfers-Jan2021_zpscea6ad14.png

Etienne Capoue was one I let go for free. He was on £72,000 p/w and sat in the under 21's not doing anything, so getting that off the wage bill was important. We got a pretty week fee for Benteke as he is only 30, but again his wages of £60,000+ p/w was just too much. Fabio Borini offered versatility as he could also play wide, but again he was on over £60,000 p/w. Getting rid of those wages and getting a good fee for a 29 year old was good business. Two who were massively undersold were Joel Matip and Jon Williams. We should have been looking for fee's of around £10million for each, but getting the wages, (£58,000 and £51,000 p/w), off the wage bill was more important as it gave us some wiggle room to get others in. Similar story with Radja Nainggolan who left on loan - he was sitting there on over £50,000 p/w and we just needed rid of it.

The fact that so many of the players who left went on deadline day was also the reason that two of three who came in didn't happen until deadline day either. I'd have much preferred to have got the players in earlier, but unfortunately that wasn't possible.

Here are the three that came into the club;

João Pedro

A player I was deperate to sign. His development under me and the same staff at Benfica has been something to behold. Getting him in was a priority.

Mattheus

Another creative player to add to those we already have. He has had injury problems, but as you have all seen at Benfica he really can produce some magic.

Namir Fernandes

A leftback was desperately needed with Luke Shaw being injured long term, (he will probably miss the rest of the season), and Fernandes is a young man who I trust. He still has rom to improve, and it should be a great battle between him and Shaw for who is at leftback next term.

Premier League

CareerSave-SpursPLFixtures-Jan2021_zps1fb356d8.png

CareerSave-SpursPLTable-Jan2021_zpscf386c98.png

Inconsistent to say the least.

Things went horribly wrong in the opening half against Newcastle and they were 3-0 up and stuffing us out of sight. At halftime I just switched to 4-4-2 and went attacking. It worked, as we clawed it back to 3-3 and maybe should have won it. But still, getting a point after trailing 3-0 was pretty pleasing. Chelsea then gave us a bit of a bloody nose. Again we trailed 3-0 at halftime but we did get back into it through Lamela. We got it back to 3-2 in the 89th minute, but then conceded a fourth in the third minute of stoppage time as we pushed for an equaliser. Just three days later everything came together and we thumped West Ham 7-0 with Raheem Sterling putting in a great performance as we grabbed four goals and an assist. We then defeated Liverpool 2-1 after coming from behind, that man Erik Lamela coming up trumps again. The final game of the month was a terrific point at Old Trafford. United took the lead after 15mins, but we soon pegged them back. United gave us a bit of a battering but we stood firm to take an excellent point.

Up next we have Aston Villa at home.

FA Cup - 3rd & 4th Round

CareerSave-SpursFACFixtures-Jan2021_zps13642598.png

Good performance in the 3rd round, but poor in the 4th.

The Norwich game was my first in charge, and it was a real good tie. Norwich played really well but we took our chances in the first half and that proved to be enough. The game at Wigan was very disappointing. We did dominate for large spells but failed to take the chances that came our way. Joao Pedro got his first for the club, but Wigan equalised when Hugo Lloris spilled a cross into his own goal. We then pushed Wigan back but couldn't score. A poor performance and now we have a replay to play in early February.

If we get pat Wigan, we face Arsenal in the 5th round!

League Cup - Semi-Final

CareerSave-SpursLCFixtures-Jan2021_zps771f0d61.png

Two very good performances against Chelsea have seen us into the League Cup Final!!

We took the lead just before the half hour mark through Raheem Sterling but Chelsea immediately pegged us back. Early in the second half they went ahead, but Luuk de Jong came from the bench to grab two goals in four minutes put us 3-2 infront. As Chelsea pushed for an equaliser, we hit them on the counter and Sterling got his second of the game to make it 4-2 - a great first leg victory. We took the lead in the second leg when Thibaut Courtois spilled a Christian Eriksen effort into his own goal and we were 5-2 ahead on aggregate. Chelsea gave us a battering throughout but we stood relatively firm. They equalised though in the 75th minute, and then went 2-1 up in the 81st minute, but we held on to things to win 5-4 on aggregate.

In the final we face Blackburn.

Great to steady the ship after a couple of disappointing games following the Norwich win. Seems like so many clubs are poorly run by the AI. Some good work shifting that much from the wage bill.

Seeing how things are going, do you have a target in mind for a final position in the league? I know when you first took over you said as high as possible, but do you have a position in mind?

Archived