Insert Interesting Name Here - Tomtuck's Second FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

Some cracking regens you have there, Tom. Looking forward to seeing Pezzi develops. He looks like he has some serious potential at only 21 his attributes are already really good. Cetin also looks like an exciting player.

Another penalty shootout loss. Do you ever go into these thinking you can win?

Pezzi is going to be crucial I imagine. He was good last year on loan, though had a few niggles so didn't play as much as I'd have wanted. He managed thirteen goals in eighteen appearances though, so I'm expecting big things.

And penalty shootouts.......blimey. We're just a bit naff at them. :(

Hope you don't have gelling issues. Interesting seeing how things go with Edson and Marcos.

Well alot of them won't be coming in and playing straight away, as we've still got the majority of last seasons regular starters. They'll be broken in gradually, so we shouldn't have any big issues with gelling.

Some great signings there Tom :thup:

Hopefully they play aswell as they look! :D

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

183px-SL_Benfica_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - August 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Aug2019_zpsfd2c50b2.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Aug2019_zps78fea957.png

Two wins from two, and no goals conceded!

Academica gave alot of very stern resistance in the opening game, but once we broke the deadlock there was only ever going to be one winner, and in the end we an out comfortable 3-0 winners. The game at Arouca was very tough, but they usually are tough encounters against them. One goal was enough, and it was a scruffy one at that. Still, three points are three points.

We face Olhanense next at home.

Champions League - Bet Placed Playoff Round 1st & 2nd Leg

CareerSave-ChampsQualiGames-Aug2019_zps2e7f146c.png

We got there, just.

We put in a great performance in Turkey, and thoroughly deserved to win, even if the goal did come via the penalty spot. The second leg was very nervy as Besiktas put in a great performance. They took the lead in the 36th minute, but we hit back soon after via youngster Joao Pedro. The second half was horrible, as Besiktas pushed for that goal that wuld take them through. We stood firm though, and managed to scrape through to the group stage.

Champions League League Group Stage Draw

After our exploits in last seasons competition, we we're amonst the second seeds for this years group stage draw, which would hopefully mean a better draw than last season when we were amongst the third seeds.

CareerSave-ChampsLgeGrpDraw-Aug2019_zps88e8a4c0.png

Very pleased with this draw. We showed last season that we can compete with Chelsea, and Galatasary, though not easy, should provide us with two very winnable games. I'd expect us to take all six points fomr Maccabi Haifa.

Our first game of the group is at home against the Israeli side.

Good start to the season. Makes me smile seeing Olhanense at the top for now.

That Spurs job would be too tempting for me. They're one of the clubs on my list that I'd love to manage. The pretenders to fourth place, I'd love to make them successful.

They ended up going for Mancini anyway. I didn't apply as I wouldn't really want to leave part way through a season.

How does it work? Do you just get asked to attend an interview? Or do you have to apply? If you're asked to attend and do go, do your board get the ass with you for doing so? I've never been asked before so don't know how it works.

I wasn't asked to go to an interivew with Tottenham, just linked in the media, and as I said I didnt apply. In the summer I was offered an interivew with Stuttgart. Very out of the blue it was; I hadn't applied and wasn't even linked with the job in the media.

Sometimes you'll apply and they won't even offer you an interview. Happened a few times in the early days with Bukovyna, ("laughed off" was the term used). When I went for interviews when I was attatched to a club, (Brighton to Benfica of course being the most recent), the club would approach me afterwards to discuss the situation. They'd ask what conditions, (philosophies, your contract, etc), I would want changing to stay. You can always decline to attend these meetings.

Ah so it works both ways then. You can apply for an interview and be asked to attend an interview. My main concern was if I'm asked to attend an interview and went I'd be called in by my board to ask what was going on.

I think if I can get into Europe this season I'll spend one more at Olhanense then seek to move on.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - September 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Sep2019_zpscab45ee8.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Sep2019_zps65330a68.png

A great month and we maintain our 100% start to the season.

Olhanense as usual gave us a tough time, and lead after twenty minutes. They then sat back and defended very well, but Lorenzo Pezzi grabbed two in twelve minutes to give us a 2-1 win. We then put in a stonking opening period against Moreirense, getting 4-0 up before they got one back on the stroke of halftime. The second half was a bit dull, and 4-1 it finished, with Mattheus getting a brace. A poor performance against Gil Vicente followed, but Foguete got what proved to be the winner just before the half hour mark. The month finished off with a good win at Maritimo, mainly because I had to rotate heavily due to us playing Chelsea just 48 hours later. They scored a late consolation, which was a bit disappointing.

Up next is Guimaraes at home.

Champions League - Group Stage

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Sep2019_zpsdd7f319d.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Sep2019_zps868d1735.png

A great start to the group stage as we romped to victory. We got an early goal that helped us settle, and then after just thirteen minutes they were reduced to ten men. From then it was one way traffic as we ran out 5-0 winners. Easy as you like.

Chelsea away is next.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - October/November 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

October

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Oct2019_zpsd75057cc.png

A couple of cracking wins as we maintained our 100% start to the season.

Guimaraes played fairly well in the first game of the month, but were undone by youngster Joao Pedro, and eventually finished off late on by Mattheus. When we went 2-0 up Guimaraes pegged us back within a minute. A few hariy moments followed, but we wrapped it up late in the day. Not much to say about the Setubal game, except that we were clinical in the extreme. Both sides had ten attempts, us eight of target, and scored seven. Setubal had just three on target, and there goal came late in the game when we were already 6-0 infront.

November

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Nov2019_zps904a4878.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Oct-Nov2019_zps15f22cf8.png

Another couple of wins, and just as satisfying as the two in October.

The trip to Rio Ave was difficult to say the least, despite their lowly position in the table. It looked to be heading for a draw, but the deadlock was broken nineteen minutes from time by Victor Andrade, who netted just his second league goal of the season. He got his third of the campaign in the Derby match against Sporting after just eight minutes, when he brilliantly controlled a corner before slamming home from close range. That was how the game finished, and it was ten wins from ten in the league.

Our first game of five in December is a trip to Estoril.

October

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Oct2019_zps3918eb21.png

Two good results gave us seven points from three games.

Chelsea gave us a good going over in the first half at Stamford Bridge, and deservedly led at the break. A couple of tweaks were made at half time, and we came out and played much better in the second period. Wingback Foguete equalised twenty minutes into the second period, and then had some great chances to win it. We couldn't find that goal, but a 1-1 draw was a good result. We then gave Galatasary a bit of a bloody nose in Lisbon, thoroughly deserving our 3-0 win. It maybe should have been more, but the win kept us top of the group after three games.

November

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Nov2019_zps0d8543e7.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Oct-Nov2019_zps5453c7ce.png

Two wins, two cleansheets. Top of the group, and through to the next round. We qualified with the 1-0 win over Galatasary in Turkey, with Choquito Rocha grabbing the goal in the first ten minutes. We controlled the game from then on, but never managed a second goal to seal. Still, we got the three points. Joao Pedro then scorred a lovely brace as we won 2-0 away to Maccabi Haifa, to keep us top of the group going into the final match against Chelsea.

Taça de Portugal - 3rd & 4th Round

October & November

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseFACFixtures-Oct-Nov2019_zpsc9a7dc20.png

Two pretty poor showings, but we're through to the fifth round.

We were very poor in the 3rd roun game in October against Belenenses, and only came away with a win thanks to a bit of individual quality from Edson Henrique on his debut. It was another sluggish performance against Academica in November in the 4th round, but we got through thanks to a fine Michael Robin strike and a header from a setpiece from Rodolfo Cufre just minute after Academica has pegged us back. We didn't deserve it, but a win's a win.

In the 5th round we face a trip to Feirense, a second division side we have faced in the previous two years in the 3rd round and quarter finals.

You're doing pretty well!!! Are we looking at a possible Champions League and League title? :D

I think we should win the league this season, the gap is huge for such an early stage of the season. However, I don't think the Champions League will arrive during my time at Benfica. I think last season was our big chance, and we just fell short. :(

Some more excellent results there. I'm glad you hammered Setúbal, they've become somewhat of a bogey team for me. So pleased you put 7 past them.

Ahh so Setúbal are what Olhanense are to me? :D

The good form has kept up in December, although we have finally dropped some points!

Glad to hear it, to both your points ;)

I've gone on a ridiculous run of games. If I didn't know better I'd think I've been cheating! How have your new players settled in?

Ha I won't be surprised if some think you have been cheating - been accused of that via PM's and on Twitter a few times!

New players are doing fine. Like I said a few times, many of them wouldn't be getting many games immediately and I'd be breaking them in gradually. Quintino Cetin has played the most, (not counting Pezzi by the way with him being on loan last season), but most of that has had to be in the Halfback role due to a couple of injuries. He's done his job, retaining posession and averaging around 7.00 - just what I like from a HB.

Just read through this whole career, loving it so far. I'm really excited to see what you do next.

Thanks alot. Hope you keep following, though I've no idea what is around the corner! :D

Ha I won't be surprised if some think you have been cheating - been accused of that via PM's and on Twitter a few times!

New players are doing fine. Like I said a few times, many of them wouldn't be getting many games immediately and I'd be breaking them in gradually. Quintino Cetin has played the most, (not counting Pezzi by the way with him being on loan last season), but most of that has had to be in the Halfback role due to a couple of injuries. He's done his job, retaining posession and averaging around 7.00 - just what I like from a HB.

You're serious? People have actually taken time out to accuse you of that!? How very strange some are.

That brings a whole new meaning to 'It's your tactics' :D

Haha I'll take that as a compliment!

CHEAT!!

Fabulous start to season, defensive is particularly good.

Thanks. Defending is always my first priority. Get a good solid base and the rest will come.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - December 2019 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Dec2019_zpse5fdbef3.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Dec2019_zps33ef6343.png

We've finally dropped some points, but we're marching towards the title!

Estoril were absolutely fabulous against us and thoroughly deserved the point they got. They took the lead 23mins from time after defending exceeding well throughout, and it took an equaliser from Brayan Restrepo thirteen minutes from time to rescue a point. Three days later we struggled over the line against Beira-Mar, and it took a stunning freekick from Miguel Angel Ferreras six minutes from time to win it. Nacional da Madeira were then given a bloody nose with young loanee Daniel Felipe starring with a goal and as assist on his full debut. A real ding-dong battle against struggling Porto ensued, and we eventually came out on top thanks to two goals in three minutes from Lorenzo Pezzi and Victor Andrade (my big game player!!). Porto showed little in the match to suggest they can haul themselves back into the title race, a massive plus for us of course. The month was rounded off with Victor Andrade again coming up with an important, netting the winner on the stroke of halftime to make if four goals in his last three league apperances.

Thirteen points clear after just half the season! Surely we can't blow this one?!

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Dec2019_zps702c7435.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Dec2019_zpsc6d5bd22.png

A draw to end the group stage, but top spot secured!

It was a bit of a poor game if truth be told, but I was disappointed we didn't win it after taking the lead. Foguete scored against Chelsea again after also scoring in the 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge. Twenty minutes into the second half they equalised, but neither side could then find a winner. We finished level on points, but took top spot on goal difference after we couldn't be split on head-to-head record.

The draw for the first knockout round, like last season, hasn't been very kind.

Taça da Liga - Group Stage

As with each year the group draw was made for the third stage of the Taça da Liga in mid December. We were of course among the top seeds, aswell as Porto, Sporting, and Academica. Braga were way down with the third seeds. Unfortunately, we drew them in our group. A couple of iffy looking games there, but coming out on top spot shouldn't be too much of an issue.

CareerSave-BenficaTDLFixtures-Dec2019_zps4bc6b2ba.png

CareerSave-BenficaTDLTable-Dec2019_zps3c37d15a.png

What a crazy game this was! Lorenzo Pezzi was obviously the star of the show, banging in four of our five goals, but Edson Henrique got the other and put in a very good performance. After ten minutes there had been three goals - Nacional had gone aheead in the seventh minute before we went 2-1 up. It was then 2-2 at the break, but Pezzi then took over slamming home three goals in the second half to win it 5-2.

We next face Braga away from home, before finishing off at home to Estoril.

Looking Good for the league. Hopefully you can beat Milan in the CL. How are they doing ingame?

Milan have done pretty well in game, the most simplistic way to illustrate that is just to tell you that Massimiliano Allergi is still in charge. During the save, the major trophies they have won are; 2 Serie A Titles (2015/16; 2018/19), 2 Italian Cups (2016/17; 2018/19), & 1 Champions League, (2013/14).

We can no doubt beat them. They have a good squad, but it's not up to levels of Real Madrid and Chelsea, who as you know, have had it tough against us.

Congrats on your 300 games. Pezzi is looking a bargain at the £12m you paid for him. How is Cetin coming along? Has he been getting any games? Milan should be a comfortable game for you, considering the way you've dispatched bigger teams.

As posted about Cetin the other day;

Quintino Cetin has played the most, (not counting Pezzi by the way with him being on loan last season), but most of that has had to be in the Halfback role due to a couple of injuries. He's done his job, retaining posession and averaging around 7.00 - just what I like from a HB.

The problem is that he might have to go in the summer. When I signed him he was part owned by his agent and he'd only accept a two year contract, (so until summer 2021), and wouldn't have a clause to extend by a year. We have bought out the agents 15% stake, but as it stands he's requesting a silly new contract.

As for Milan, well, I've illustrated that above.

Information On Images

Just let you all know that some of my images may stop showing throughout today as I've more or less reached the 10GB Bandwidth limit that you get with a free Photobucket account. The bandwidth allowance of 10GB resets each month on the date on which you creat your account, and fortunately for me I created my account on the 1st November, so all should be back up and running properly tomorrow if they do indeed temporarily disappear.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - January 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Jan2020_zps64ced120.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Jan2020_zpsf1c5ae81.png

Three wins from three, six goals scored, and three cleansheets - my kind of month!

The month started with a solid away win at Academica. As is usually the case against them, we had to work, but when we finally got the breakthrough a second soon followed. It was the same away at Olhanense - stern resistance from them, but once we got the opening goal we soon wrapped it up with a second. Our final game of the month was slightly easier - we got the breakthrough ealier! It was left to new signing Jose Alejandro Tapia to get the opening goal after coming off the bench, and he then assisted the goal for Pezzi that wrapped things up.

We face Moreirense next at home.

Taça de Portugal - 5th Round

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseFACFixtures-Jan2020_zps89843cc5.png

Terrific performance at the second division side as I tried a new tactical system, (err, it has been scrapped for now!). Yes I sent out a very strong side, but it was the last sixteen and when we get to this stage I start thinking more about winning the trophy. Choquito Rocha was superb, scoring two and assisting one.

In the quarter finals we face Beira-Mar at home.

Taça da Liga - Group Stage

CareerSave-BenficaTDLFixtures-Jan2020_zps33148534.png

CareerSave-BenficaTDLTable-Jan2020_zpsc7bce831.png

Two very sloppy perfromances - we were 2-0 and then 3-1 ahead against Braga, and still we just struggled over the line. A poor performance rounded off the group stage against Estoril. We dominated the play but didn't do enough in terms of creating chances, especially after getting a relatively early goal. Still, we got the three points to finish top the group and qualify for the semi-finals.

In the semi's we have been drawn away to Academica, with other match between Sporting and Porto.

Transfers

We had two players join the club on the opening day of the transfer window, deals which were arranged some time beforehand. During the window a player I had had my eye on became available at a ridiculously low price to what I was previously quoted. It was still pretty steep for my usual spending, but impossible not to move for him. A couple of players were also offloaded for low fee's (only brought on £700,000 between them but had sell-on claues), that were no longer required.

Here those who have joined us;

Chumbinho

Cost £1.8million, but has the potential to be a very good goalkeeper in the future with the right training and tutoring.

Hedinilton

A free - he was without a club for some reason! Some encouraging stats but also a bit to work on. Given his age he'll get until the end of next season to kick on a bit. If not, then I'm sure a bit of profit will be generated.

Jose Alejandro Tapia

A snip at £9million, even if he is also on my top wage. As long as I'm the club I'm going to be sticking at this cap of £25,000 p/w so he would be sold in summer 2023. But until then, he's surely going to be an unreal signing.

Tapis looks brilliant. He should score a ton for you hopefully.

I'm interested to know where the 25,000p/w wage limit philosophy came from. i seem to remember you having the same upper limit on an Ajax save last year. At the same time how do you manage to keep it to that? i presume if any player refuses that they are sold no matter how important to the team they are?

Tapis looks brilliant. He should score a ton for you hopefully.

I'm interested to know where the 25,000p/w wage limit philosophy came from. i seem to remember you having the same upper limit on an Ajax save last year. At the same time how do you manage to keep it to that? i presume if any player refuses that they are sold no matter how important to the team they are?

Hopefully Tapia does bang a few in and makes us a boat load of profit in the next 2-3 years.

The wage limit simply came about from the fact that the club was in a mess when I was appointed. When I took the job I posted an image on Twitter revealing the finances, and at the time the club was just short of £16million in the red with a projected balance of -£44.46million. There were a few players on knocking on £40,000 p/w and it was simply too much, especially with not having Champions League football in that first season. So I immediately tried to lower wages or sell those on too much, (Ezequiel Garay who I would have wanted to keep being one), and decided that anyone coming in wouldn't get more than £25,000 p/w, which is £1.3million a year.

And you are basically right regarding what I do with those on/nearing that wage - anyone on £25,000 p/w will be sold as soon as they have just a year left on his contract, if not before if the right offer is recieved. Mattheus for example is on that amount and his deal expires in 2022. Right now I'm in March 2020 and planning for summer 2021 when he is no longer here - despite his class, (111 appearances, 32 goals, 60 assists), he'll be on his way. Rui Miguel is different example. He's on £19,000 p/w and his deal also expires in 2022. I'm well aware he's highly unlikely to sign a new contract, so like Mattheus he will be gone in summer 2021.

I'll be honest and say that the board will now let me offer players up £66,000 p/w, but I refuse to go above my amount - I don't want to leave them in a similar position as to what I found them in.

Ahhhhhhggggggg.... Images are broken. *waits until tomorrow for update*
Was just about to say this

Well I did say I feared it would happen. :D

As I said earlier all should be ok, (if what Photobucket tell me is true), by tomorrow. If not, then I have all my images still stored on my laptop and I'd upload via another site.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - February/March 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

February

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Feb2020_zps2f86ebb4.png

Ten points from a possible, but I'm not happy - our defending throughout the month was just terrible, and we should have been punished more severely.

Despite our defensive woes the goals flowed at the other end so we managed to pick up points. We started things off with a 4-2 win over Moreirense with Choquito Rocha in lovely form. We trailed 1-0 early on but went 3-1 up by the break. We added another in the second half before conceding another late in the day. The Maritimo game that followed was just ridiculous. They were reduced to ten men after just eleven minutes, and despite us taking the lead Maritimo led 2-1 just after halftime. Rui Miguel levelled up thirteen minutes from time, before youngster Joao Pedro got the winner five minutes from time. Gil Vicente then took advantage of me resting players ahead of a Champions League fixture to take a well earned point off us. The month finished with a slender win at Guimaraes, and it was yet again a tail of us making things hard for ourselves. We went 2-0 up before the break before they pulled one back just after the hour mark to leave us seeing out a very nervy final twentyfive minutes.

March

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Mar2020_zps0e920a11.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Feb-Mar2020_zpsf97e3c1c.png

More annoying performances, but we've reclaimed the title!

2-0 up we were at home to Setubal, and we blew it. They pulled one back just two minutes after our second goal, and then realled pressed us in the second period. We finally cracked with just seven minutes to go and Setubal got a well deserved equaliser. The derby against Sporting was a tough game, but again we rested players prior to a Champions League game. They led before the break, but just minutes from time Rui Miguel slotted home a deserved equaliser. The title was wrapped up with a comfortable 2-0 win at home to Rio Ave. We were 2-0 up after just twenty three minutes thanks to goals from Miguel Angel Ferreras and a Victor Andrade penalty. From there on in we just played the game out comfortably without really pushing ourselves.

The title reclaimed!

Taça de Portugal - Quarter Final & Semi-Final 1st Leg

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseFACFixtures-Feb-Mar2020_zps71903f1e.png

Solid if unspectacular performance in the quarter final against Beira-Mar, in which we totally dominated to struggled to take chances. Joao Pedro finall gave us the lead 25mins from time before fullback Davi wrapped it up in stoppage time. The first leg of the semi-final against Estoril was tough, as we struggled to get back there diamond formation. Still, we didn't concede and I'm confident of winning the home leg to get to the final.

Taça de Liga - Semi-Final

CareerSave-BenficaTDLFixtures-Feb2020_zps2b003023.png

Stunning performance to see us through to the final, in what is usually a tough game for us. Rui Miguel was the star of the show, scoring all four goals, three of which came before the break. It was top stuff from the young man, and with me looking like selling him this summer, performances like this will do no harm at all in upping his value.

In the final we face Porto.

Champions League - 1st Knockout Round

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Feb-Mar2020_zps87475d6e.png

Outstanding to keep on like last season and knockout out a European giant!

We put in a super performance in the first leg, defending stoutly and always looking dangerous on the counter attack. That man Rui Miguel notched yet again, (he managed eight goals in February/March), to give us the lead at halftime. Just eleven minutes into the second period Milan had equalised from the penalty spot, and despite much Milan pressure, we held on to a 1-1 draw. The second leg was again a tight affair, with both sides creating chances but failing to score.We survived the odd scare late on, but it finished 0-0, meaning we advance on the away goals rule.

In the quarter finals we got the best draw possible - PSV Eindhoven. The first leg is at home.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Benfica 2019/20

Taça da Liga Final

How We Got To The Final

Group Stage

CareerSave-TacadeLigaGroupGames-2019-20_zps51adface.png

CareerSave-BenficaTDLTable-Jan2020_zpsc7bce831.png

We weren't right on our games during the group stage, and conceded a few sloppy goals- personally I feel four in three games is unacceptable, even accounting for roatation. However we still brezzed throught with three wins from three, topping the table five points clear ahead of Estoril and Nacional da Madeira who both finished on four points. We drew Academica in the semi-finals, with the other between Sporting and Porto.

Knockout Stage

CareerSave-TacadeLigaSemi-2019-20_zpsb1b11a44.png

Great performance against a side that usually do well against us. Rui Miguel was the star of the show, scoring all four of our goals! Just after the half hour mark they equalised after we had taken the lead after 17mins. By halftime though we were 3-1 up and Rui Miguel had already claimed the match ball. A fourth was added in the second period, as we comfortably went through to the final.

The Final

vs. Porto

CareerSave-TacadeLigaFinalvsPorto2020_zpsc48cb002.png

Match Stats.

Our thid final in three years, the second against Porto, penalties not required this time though!

This game came at such a tough time - slap bang in the middle of the Champions League semi-final. One or two players were rested but I sent out a strong side, and chose to go back to 4-4-2. As the match stats show, that means we have less possession, but actually create more chances than usual against Porto. The game proved to be a good old fashioned battle, with the tackles flying and everything being a bit scappy. Neither side took control really; Porto may have had more shots, but just about half of them were from long range. We on the other hand countered well but failed to get attempts on target. The goal came about when Joa Pedro flicked a lovely ball through to Lorenzo Pezzi in a tight area on the edge of the box, who slotted home. We had plenty of defending to do in the second half, but did admirably and held on to lift the tophy!

I think you uploaded the wrong screenshot, this shows you winning a final....:D You always seem to score lots of goals away from home for some reason.

Nice win :cool:

You cheeky sod - I've won a few now with Benfica! :D

And yeah as for away goals I'm not really sure why. As you know I'm not the biggest one to go into the tactics so deeply with watching and rewatching things. I just know/find what seems to do the job and stick with it.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - April 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Apr2020_zpsebe2bae9.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Apr2020_zps83591c63.png

Two draws and a win - we're now just two games away from going the season unbeaten.

The Estoril game came in the middle of the two Champions League quarter final games against PSV, so I of course rotated a fair amount. They came and defended well, and did deserve their point. The big plus was young Joao Pedro get on the scoresheet yet again. We then went to Beira-Mar and beat them 4-2, but it was a struggle. We led 1-0 ahead inside the first twenty minutes but they were 2-1 infront after five minutes of the second half. Two goals in two minutes from Abdelhak Nouri and a second of the night from Jose Alejandro Tapia put us 3-2 infront, before Tapia completed his hattrick in the 88th minute to wrap things up. A distinctly poor 1-1 draw finished the month off, with the only plus point being a debut goal for youngster Sergio Alves.

We finish the season off with Braga at home and Porto away.

Taça de Portugal - Semi-Final 2nd Leg

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseFACFixtures-Apr2020_zps6712f30c.png

A comfortable enough victory to ease through to the final. Two goals in two minutes did it for us, and after that the game was just about us keeping the ball and not letting Estoril get a sniff at goal. We saw to that with 61% of the possession, and limited them to very little. In the final we face Sporting.

Taça de Liga - Final

CareerSave-BenficaTDLFixtures-Apr2020_zps3d20142e.png

Very pleasing to come out on top of any game with Porto, but especially in a final. As I've said already it was tough to get the selection right as it came in the middle of the two Champions League semi-final matches, but we made it an even game going with a slightly weakened team and a 4-4-2. They peppered us with a fair few long shots as we did well to keep them at arms length throughout. After we took the lead nine minutes before the break they realy pushed us, but we managed to keep our 1-0 lead in tact until the end, and collect the trophy.

Champions League - Quarter Final & Semi Final

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-Apr2020_zps2783d523.png

We're into a second final in two years. Quite unbelievable

We gave PSV a right thumping in the first leg, and it was down to a man who often rocks up for big game - Victor Andrade - who netted a hattrick. 3-0 up by the break, it's fair to say we were flying. PSV got one back soon into the second hafl but two in five minutes from Andrade sealed a 5-1 win. The second leg was just barmy. 2-1 down after just twetyone minutes, and things weren't looking good. We pulled it back to 2-1 before halftime, and then we started the second half in control. However, PSV struck twice in seven minutes to make it 4-1 ang thins all of a sudden were looking bad for us. We roared back though, and the 81st minute Pezzi made it 4-2 on the night, and then in the 89th minute he made it 4-3 on the night, and we were through 8-5 on aggregate.

In the semi-final we were drawn against Lyon, and thus avoided Chelsea and Manchester City. Lyon came to Portugal and just set out to defend. We couldn't break them down and it finished 0-0. The second leg, like against PSV, was a crazy affair. It was a tight first half, but they broke the deadlock on the stroke of halftime. Just six minutes into the second half though, young Tapia made it 1-1 and at the time we were leading on away goals. It remained that way for 25mins, but Lyon then went 2-1 up. Just two minutes later though we responded through Joao Pedro and I was thrilled! I was again a dejected figure just five minutes later when Lyon back infront. Time was getting on, and it looked like it was all over, but in the third minutes of stoppage time, Rui Miguel popped up to scramble in from six yards and make it 3-3, sending us through to the final on the away goals rule.

In the final we face Chelsea, a side we have faced four times in the very recent past.

Quadruple is on.

Hmmm I have my doubts. The Taça de Portugal Final is just six days before the Champions Legaue Final, so might have to rest a few. We may also be undefeated against Chelsea in four games, but it'll still be very tough. I'm not holding out much hopes of it.

Archived