Insert Interesting Name Here - Tomtuck's Second FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

183px-SL_Benfica_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - August 2017 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Aug2017_zps563e8c88.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Aug2017_zps4c446519.png

Well I really couldn't have asked for a much better start - two wins out of two, and eight goals to boot!

In our opening game we couldn't have got off to a better start as we took the lead after just six minutes through captain Lisandro Lopez. From then on we controlled the game and patiently probed for the right openings to come. Eventually they did, and new signing Neilton took advantage scoring a hattrick. The second match was quite similar, except that it took us until the 21st minute to get that lead. Again it was from a centreback, but after that the game was never in doubt, and younster Joaquim Silva grabbed him a barce.

Up next we face a trip to Estoril before the international break.

Europa League - Playoff Round

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Aug2017_zps131e2e86.png

The first leg was fairly disappointing in all honesty, even though we got a solid result. We took the lead early on but we couldn't add to it. With just eleven minutes to go Hajduk got an equaliser. The second leg got off to the perfect start as fullback Fabio put us infront after just six minutes. Soon after skipper Lopez made it 2-0, and Mattheus got a third on the stroke of half time. Joaquim Silva added a fourth late on to give us a 5-1 aggregate win.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Europa League Group Stage Draw

Conidering there are so many Europa League groups I've decided just to post an image of our own gtoup. For the draw we were amongst the top seeds, so we didn't get that tough of a group really;

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeGrpDraw-Aug2017_zps1253f7ed.png

A couple of tricky away games, but we should come through comfortably. Will be aiming for 13/14 points atleast.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - September 2017 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Sep2017_zps264fa577.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Sep2017_zpsf3a85f5b.png

Well we've maintained our 100% record, but christ we are conceding goals!

The month started with an absolutely crazy game against Estoril. We were never once behind, but every time we made it comfortable we let them back into the game. At 3-1 we let them get back to 3-2 and then even at 5-2 we let them grab another. Just bonkers. We then dominated against Setubal, but even then we couldn't keep a cleansheet as they scored in he 91st minute. Then Moreirense came to town and we had another daft game, letting them equalise, then going 3-1 up in the 92nd minute before letting them get a further consolation in the 94th minute. We may be going along excellently, but our defending is leaving a lot to be desired.

Up next we face a trip to Academica.

Europa League - Group Stage

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Sep2017_zps5536bf51.png

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeTable-Sep2017_zpsc0d62409.png

A furstrating game. We took the lead early, but they hit back before the break. Just before the hour mark we went back infront through young starlet Joaquim Silva. From there we dominated but couldn't kill the game, and in the 84th minute we gave away a penalty which they tucked away to take a point. Not happy at all.

We face Saint-Etienne at home next.

Just finished reading this career thread and would like to say great job!! You are making the game look quite easy.

Can I ask what tactical system you have employed throughout or have you utilised multiple systems based on the differing teams you managed?

KUTGW

First post on the forums in here - that's quite a compliment! :D

Tactics wise I've used different shapes and systems depending on where I have been. At Bukovyna it was a fairly simple 4-4-2, then things have changed at both Brighton and Benfica to 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 variants. The only thing that has remained the same at each club has been the fact that I insist on short passing. I much prefer a 1-0/2-0 win dominating possession rather than the daft scores I've been having so far at Benfica.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - October 2017 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Oct2017_zps253e3ad4.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Oct2017_zpsec3a2516.png

Three wins out of three, and three cleansheets - I'm thrilled!

The month started with a solid 2-0 win at Academica - but boy we did have to work for it. We were a bit sluggish in the first half, but the breakthrough finally came just after halftime when Javi Garcia prodded home from a corner. Super-sub Andre Silva then secured the points seven minutes from time. We then laboured to a 1-0 win over Rio Ave, but we were never in trouble of actually conceding, nevermind losing, so in that respect the team are adapting to my style. The month was rounded off with a 3-0 win at Nacional da Madeira in what was a very controlled performance from us. We gave up possession and just hit them on the counter time after time to great effect.

Just two league games in November, the first of which is against Beira-Mar at home.

Taça de Portugal - 3rd Round

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseCup-Oct2017_zps15e1b36d.png

Awful. I rested a few players, but with the team I sent out should still should have been seeing off a second division team with ease. After just seven minutes they hurled in a long throw that we didnt deal with and 0-1 it was. They then defended for their lives and found their goalkeeper in great form. Just after the break we again failed t defend at setpiece and it was 0-2. We got one back but couldnt find another, and we were out of the cup, much to the boards anger.

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Oct2017_zpsc6b6dcc4.png

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeTable-Oct2017_zps83dad4f2.png

Madness against Saint-Etienne, much inkeeping with our early form. They too the lead early but we hit back on the half hour mark, 1-1 it was at halftime. In the space of twelve second half minutes we went 3-1 up and took control of the game, and then after 71mins we had another two and it was 5-1. Of course we then switched off and let another in, but 5-2 it finished. We put in a much better performance against Besiktas and ran out comfortable 3-0 winners. An early penalty got us ahead and then we just controlled it from there, and the scoreline was in no way flattering.

Top of the group by three points, and we face a trip to Turkey next for the return game against Besiktas.

First post on the forums in here - that's quite a compliment! :D

Tactics wise I've used different shapes and systems depending on where I have been. At Bukovyna it was a fairly simple 4-4-2, then things have changed at both Brighton and Benfica to 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 variants. The only thing that has remained the same at each club has been the fact that I insist on short passing. I much prefer a 1-0/2-0 win dominating possession rather than the daft scores I've been having so far at Benfica.

Thanks for the reply, look forward to seeing your rebuilding job with the mighty Benfica.

The eagles are flying high so far.

It's about time after the barron years!

Thanks for the reply, look forward to seeing your rebuilding job with the mighty Benfica.

Well it might not take time to get domestic trophies under the belt, but in Europe I'm not sure.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - November/December 2017 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

November

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Nov2017_zpsd3f9082b.png

Just one win out of two, but Arouca have been going along well so far this season and maybe a draw at their place isn't so bad.

The month began with a comfortable win at home to Beira-Mar, who simply couldnt cope with the pace we played at. The disappointing thing was that we only scored three times. The draw at Arouca followed, and they more than deserved it. After half an hour they took the lead from the penalty spot, and for the rest of the game they defended admirably. We got the eqqualiser with 28mins to go, but couldn't then find a winner. A fair result.

December

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Dec2017_zps1e00f2f0.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Nov-Dec2017_zps1da9000c.png

A poor month in all honesty. We had a very disappointing draw and our first league defeat of the season.

Maritimo came to town at the start of the month and simply werent interested in playing. Even after we took the lead after just five minutes, they still refused to attack us meaningfully and just sat back. They did that well, and in the 92nd minute they slammed home an equaliser from range to somehow earn a point. We got back to winning ways with a 1-0 win at City rivals Sporting. They firred in long shots throghout without really testing our goalkeeper, whereas we always looked the more dangerous. I had settled for a point, but late on we hit them on the counter and Eduardo Salvio buried the chance and grabbed the only goal of the game. We then thumped Guimaraes 4-0, grabbing three in the second period after finally breaking through on halftime. Next was a trip to Porto for O Clássico, and in all honesty they game us a battering, and the 2-1 scoreline doesn't refelct their dominance. They are simply so much better than us, and the fact that we only lost 2-1 means we actually quite pleasing - believe me, it could have been many more. We dusted ourselves off quickly after that, and finished the year with a 3-1 win at home to Braga.

Thanks to Porto following up their win over us with just a draw, we are still only a point behind them.

November

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Nov2017_zpsa34542d5.png

We travelled to Turkey hoping to win but knowing a draw wouldn't be a bad result. To got there and win 5-1 was fantastic. It was just 1-0 at the break and Besiktas soon pegged us back in the second half. That only seemed to make the players mad, and we set about routing them - it was a splendid result. What followed against Rapid was hard to take. They went ahead early and then just defended for their lives. We equalised late on but couldn't find a winner.

Thankfully the draw sealed top spot in the group, after we had already qualified following the win over Besiktas.

December

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Dec2017_zps0f639f53.png

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeTable-Nov-Dec2017_zps7b9d48c1.png

Not a bad way to finish off the group in all honesty. The trip to France was one I thought may be tough, so I was glad to have already won the group beforehand. Still, we came away with a nice win thanks to two first half goals to round off the group phase in some style.

In the first knockout round we face Kuban Krasnodar, and will face either Wolfsburg or Metaalist Kharkiv if we qualify.

Taça da Liga 3rd Phase - Group Stage

This month the draw was made for the Taça da Liga third phase. Four groups are dawn and each team plays three matches, with the top team from each group progressing into the semi-finals of the competition. The group matches got under way on December 31st.

CareerSave-TacadeLigaFixtures-Dec2017_zpseda0d537.png

CareerSave-TacadeLigaTable-Dec2017_zpsec3205c6.png

A great start to the group stage. I sent out an full strength line-up as I fancy having a pop at this cup in all honety. We dominated the first half and once we finally broke through the floodgates opened. We were also helped by them having a man sent off on the hour mark and then we set about routing them.

Our next group game is away to Chaves, before we round things off away at Guimaraes.

A great season so far even with the loss against Porto you look really strong.

You know me Cleon, it's always more luck than judgement. :D

On a serious note, we're much better than the majority here in Portugal. Porto though are ridiculously, but thankfully they seem to drop sloppy points at times. The return fixture against them at the end of the season at our place could be huge.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - January 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Jan2018_zps90e10468.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Jan2018_zpsb6172293.png

Two wins from two keeps us in second a point behind Porto.

Olhanense defended stoutly for the first half againt us, but just four minutes into the second half we got the breakthrough. A second followed just a minute later, but they then got back into it. We wrapped up the points with 24mins to go to win 3-1. We then totally dominated against Gil Vicente, having 60% possession and 17 shots to two. In that respect the 2-0 scoreline was actually a bit disappointing.

We host Estoril in our next fixture.

Taça da Liga 3rd Phase - Group Stage

CareerSave-TacadeLigaFixtures-Jan2018_zps76972fe1.png

CareerSave-TacadeLigaTable-Jan2018_zps7f7e350e.png

Well that was a bit of a crazy group stage. The game against Chaves was utterly mad. It was 3-1 at halftime and we then went 7-1 up with just nine minutes to go.Chaves then made it 7-3 before we scored another late on. We can't even defend against second division sides! The final group game was away against fellow first division side Guimaraes and we totally destroyed them, running out 5-0 winners.

In the semi finals we have been drawn away to Braga, and the other semi see's Porto host Sporting.

Transfers

There was a bit of activity from us in the transfer window, with one player coming in to bolster our options in midfield, and two others joining for the future. The most pleasing aspect was that two of the three arrived for nothing.

Zakaria Labyad

He'd been available on a free transfer since his release from SPorting in the summer, and I had indeed tried to sign him back then. Nothing could be agreed then, but his agent again came offering him, and this time we were able to agree a deal. He can do both the DLP and AP role, so he'll be a good asset.

Salih Tunç

Amazed this lad was available for free. He has great potential and is infact already rated as the best goalkeeper in the squad by the coaches. I doubt he'll get any game time this season, but he may well be first choice next term.

Choquito

A very sound little player, and at just £2.5million (plus add-ons) he's a bit of a steal. Yes his mentals need some work, but given his technical ability he could be excellent. Give him a couple of years or so and we could be making a tidy profit.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - February 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Feb2018_zpsb9a3d2e9.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Feb2018_zps21da32ea.png

Well it was a great month, with four wins from four and Porto dropping five points from their four games.

We started with an eventual comfortable win over Estoril. We were 2-0 up before letting them back into it, however we scored two late on to run out 4-1 winners. We finally overcame Setubal after they had taken the lead after just two minutes. Once we got the equaliser there was only ever one winner. Academica were seen off thanks to three first half goals before we coasted along in the second period. The month rounded off with a 3-1 win at lowly Moreirense, but we were fairly awful and had to rely on two setpiece goals from Brayan Restrepo either side of a Neilton strike to give us the three points.

Our next league game is away at Rio Ave, who recently took a point away at Porto.

Taça da Liga - Semi Final

CareerSave-TacadeLigaFixtures-Feb2018_zps5827b8e5.png

This was an excellent result. Braga are a tough side to play against, and to come from behind againt them in a semi final was very pleasing. They went ahead after 25mins but we got level before the break. A change of shape in the second half proved to be decisive and we ran out 3-1 winners thanks to Fabio charging forward from leftback to score, and Victor Andrade scoring a lovely individual effort.

In the final we face Porto.

Europa Leage - 1st KO Round, 1st Leg

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Feb2018_zpsf3acaa6a.png

A terrific first leg result in the snow in Krasnodar. We took the lad after fourteen minutes, but just four minutes later Kuban pegged us back. Eleven minutes before the break Victor Andrade put us back infront, and after a few hairy moments in the second half we finally sealed the win in stoppage time, with Andrade again getting it.

You've scored a lot of goals all season really, always nice to see :cool:

Good luck in the cup final :)

Wish we could ever so slightly cut down on the ones were conceding. But I suppose it doesn't matter with the amount we're scoring at the minute.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - March 2018 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Mar2018_zps5bf23290.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Mar2018_zps9408826f.png

A very pleasing month despite dropping two points.

The month began with those two dropped points over Rio Ave. They're a tough nut to crack at home, having remained unbeaten so far this season, though drawing many of them. They took the lead early on but we equalised just before the break. Afterwards we couldn't break them down and a draw was a fair result. We bounced back from the draw with a thumping 4-1 win over Nacional da Madeira. Rodrigo was the star of the show, scoring one and assisting two. The month was finished off with a 2-0 win over Arouca. Victor Andrade put us ahead early, and captain Lisandro Lopez finally wrapped things up with fifteen minutes to go.

So despite dropping points we remain in the driving seat - one point ahead with a game in hand. Next up is a trip to Beira-Mar.

Europa Leage - 1st KO Round, 1st Leg

And 2nd KO Round 1st & 2nd Leg

CareerSave-BenficaEuropaLgeFixtures-Mar2018_zps52ddf24d.png

Outstanding stuff, particularly against Wolfsburg.

We saw off Kuban in the second leg of the 1st KO Round with little fuss, thumping them 5-2, (8-3 on aggregate). Yes it was annoying to concede two, but our attacking play was a joy to behold. Wolfsburg came to Portugal for the first leg of the next round, and we managed to beat them 2-0, but boy was it a slog as their box midfield got the better of us. It was much the same in the second leg but we stood firm and then hit them on the counter late on to win 1-0, 3-0 on aggregate. A superb performance.

Europa League Quarter Final Draw

CareerSave-EuropaLgeQFDraw-2017-18_zps02428f6c.png

It isn't a simple draw, but it could have been worse in all honesty. Delighted that we're away from home in the first leg.

Europa League Semi Final Draw

CareerSave-EuropaLgeSFDraw-2017-18_zps0e48d8aa.png

Definitely the best draw we could have had. If we get past Gladbach then I'd fancy us to beat either of these two sides.

Shame about dropping points it would have been some nice breathing space but at least you are still top which counts I guess.

It's yours to lose now, good luck :)

Cheers Cle. :thup:

We have got tough games to come mind you. Our final four are Sporting (H), Porto (H), Guimaraes (A), and Braga (A). As you can see from the table, that's the other three sides who make up the top four, and then Braga, who are always pretty sound at home.

Doing really well so far - I remember how frustrating it is waiting for Porto to drop points. Looking forward to the 'reserved' post :)

P.S. Eesh, that Choquito is goooooood

It's like a dream come true every time they drop points - as Ive said a few times, they're frighteningly good.

As for Choquito, (or Choquito Rocha, as I have renamed him!), his mentals aren't amazing, but he's young enough for those to improve massively.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Benfica 2017/18 - Youth Intake

Paulo Jorge - MC/AMC - 4 & 1/2 Stars

Leonardo - DR - 3 & 1/2 Stars

It was a poor crop for the club this year, and these two are the only ones who have a chance of making it. I expect Paulo Jorge will do - I mean just look at him! As for Leonardo, a bit more work is needed, but he could a solid rightback given the right guidance.

Just read this whole thread. A good read and a good career you've had here tom :thup:

Cheers Gizmo. There's a long way to go in it yet - I can't really see myself playing another save.

Paulo Jorge does look good :)

As I've mentioned elsewhere the problem is that I have so many good young players in his position. In first team I have an 18 and a 19 year old, and I've also got a couple of others already in the under 19's. I'm well stacked in his position.

Just read through this thread Tom and loving it. Hope you can take Benfica back to the top.

Thanks fuzzrab. This season has already proved to be a great success.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Benfica 2017/18

Taça da Liga Final

How We Got To The Final

Group Stage

CareerSave-TacadeLigaGroupGames-2017-18_zpsf5e678e4.png

CareerSave-TacadeLigaTable-Jan2018_zps7f7e350e.png

Well the group stage was simple. Looking at how the draw is made it seems that the biggest four teams, (us, Porto, Sporting, and Braga), get easy draws to get them through to the semi finals. We did that with ease, the only blot of the copy book was conceding three goals to second division Chaves.

Knockout Stage

CareerSave-TacadeLigaSemi-2017-18_zpse24e7753.png

With the semi finals being a one off game either home or away rather than at a neutral ground, I anticipated a tough game here. However, we were superb once we had equalised Braga's opener and more than deserved to win and head through to the final.

The Final

vs. Porto

CareerSave-TacadeLigaFinalvsPortoApr2018_zps114be84d.png

Match Stats.

In all honesty we took of a pasting, and eventually we deservedly lost on penalties.

I left a couple of players on the bench due to a bit of tiredness, (and the fact we have a Europa League 2nd Leg to play in just four days), and changed to 4-5-1, which frankly in the first have didn't work at all as Porto totally dominated us. Thankfully they have some greedy idiots in the side who'd rather shoot from distance rather than just carve us open. At the break I switched back to 4-4-2 and it worked as we got a foothold in the game. We even took the lead when Victor Andrade intercepted a loose back-pass and slotted home. However one of Douglas Costa's many long range shots flew in just minutes later, and then the game petered out. To penalties we went, (I was delighted there was no extra time), and it was a daft shootout with both teams scoring with their first 16 efforts, before Choquito Rocha saw his second effort saved and we lost 17-16.

So unlucky and wow 33 pens wtf :D

34 - we missed after they had scored! :D

If after resting a couple of players, (particularly Mattheus), and losing the final, we then go and get through to the Europa League Final, I'll be happy enough to take the loss on the chin. It's not really that important. As you can guess from the name, it's the Portuguese equivalent of the Capital One Cup.

Wow things have certainly moved on a bit since I was last in here. Was expecting to sit down with my tea and read about Brighton in the Premier League. Great job at a difficult club. Looking forward to reading about the final month in the season.

Really wanting to start my own thread now! KUTGW!

Archived