Insert Interesting Name Here - Tomtuck's Second FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck in the final! :)

Thank you. :)

What an end to season coming up. Best of luck. :thup:

I still don't see it happening myself. If we do win the quadruple I may aswell end the thread!! :D

Just finished reading, excellent story, very well put together as well, do you think once you win the Champions League with Benfica you will be off? (Whether that's this season or in a year or two)

For starters, thanks for reading through and welcome aboard!

Not sure what my next move will be to be honest. Winning the Champions League with Benfica is of no great desire. If it happens then great, but if not then nevermind. The way I see it, it was great achievement to reach one final, let alone two. It certainly won't be a factor in whether or when I move. The European Championships are in the coming summer, so I'll just see what happens after that.

183px-SL_Benfica_logo.svg.png

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Benfica 2019/20

Taça de Portugal Final

How We Got To The Final

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseFACRunToFinal-2019-20_zps8d6c10b9.png

We got through to the final with relative ease, even though there were a couple of close games early on when I was fielding some younger players. We demolished second division side Feirense with a strong side after the a bit of a break at Christmas/New Year and then knocked Beira-Mar out in the quarter finals 2-0 with little fuss. The semi-final wasn't as easy as it could have been, but I was resting players at the time as we had big games in Europe and the league around that time. We got through though, 2-0 on aggregate.

The Final

vs. Sporting

The Champions League Final was just six days away, but against Sporting I didn't feel I could rest players. There were a couple of decisions to be made, and those included Ricardo Kishna tarting at AML instead of Neilton, Joao Pedro instead of Quintino Cetin meaning a bit of a reshuffle in midfield, and Lorenzo Pezzi upfront ahead of Jose Alejandro Tapia and Victor Andrade.

CareerSave-PortugueseFACFinalvsSportingCP-May20201_zpsab924e68.png

Match Stats

A tough loss to take, but we were always up against it after going down to ten men in the second period.

Sporting set off like a rocket and deservedly too the lead within the first twenty minutes. We battled back though and got a foothold in the game, eventually equalising just two minutes before the break through youngster Joao Pedro. We had control of the game early in the second half, but then disaster strook - Namir Fernandes got his second yellow of the game, tripping a Sporting player on the halfway line to stop a counter attack. They then upped the pressure, but we did have some good opportunities at 1-1 but didn't manage to take advantage of them. With the game seemingly heading to extra time, Sporting won it, scrambling home from a corner.

Agonising to say the least.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Benfica 2019/20

Champions League Final

How We Got To The Final

Qualifying Rounds

CLQualiRounds-2019-20_zpsd73ce7c2.png

After finishing second the league last season, we have to go through to qualifying rounds to get into the group stages, despite being losing finalists last season. I treated the games against Hapoel Tel-Aviv, and it was still easy enough as we went through comfortably 5-1 on aggregate. Next in the playoff round we had a fairly tough draw against Besiktas. We put in a great performance to win in Turkey, but they struggled in the home leg. Fortunately we managed to draw after trailing, and qualify for the group stage 2-1 on aggregate.

Group Stage

CLGroupStages-2019-20_zpscd088ab4.png

CareerSave-BenficaCLTable-Dec2019_zpsc6d5bd22.png

After last seasons exploits we were amongst the second seeds for this years draw. We got Chelsea who we beat in last seasons semi-final, and those were two games I was relishing. We started off though with a thuming win over Maccabi Haifa before a great draw at Chelsea. Two great wins against Galatasary followed before a good win in Israel to seal qualification for the next round. We topped the group on goal difference following another draw with Chelsea. The 1st Knockout Round again offered up a tough draw..........

Knockout Stages

CLKOStages-2019-20_zps313d88ed.png

Italian champions Milan were our opponents in the last sixteen after they finished second in their group behind Atletico Madird. They gave us a good going over in the first leg, but we drew 1-1 and with that a crucial away goal. The second leg was a great game, a real battle. Both sides had chances, but neither could score and it finished 1-1 on aggregate, with us progressing on the away goals rule. We had two corking games against PSV in the quarter finals, the first of which a stunning 5-1 win. Over the two legs we came out 8-5 winners! The semi-final against Lyon was no more sensible. A 0-0 draw in Portugal was followed up by a bramy 3-3 draw in France. We progressed on away goals, thanks go a 93rd minute equaliser! It was total elation at full time!

Chelsea, who were with us at the group stages, would be our opponents in the final.

Team News

All of the squad were fit and available for the final, with the exception of Mattheus, who had been missing for some time following a torn calf muscle. The only selction issues were whether it would be Lisandro Lopez or young Nicolas at the back; which three of four would play in the midfield trio, (2 CM's, 1 AM); and who would start upfront. As it was I went for Nicolas at CB, Choquito Rocha, Rui Miguel, and Joao Pedro in midfield with Quintino Cetin missing out, and Victor Andrade started upfront. He isn't particularly consistent, but he turns up in big games.

Salih Tunç

--- -----Nicolas - Restrepo - Fernandes

Foguete------Pedro Rodrigues--------------

Choquito Rocha - Rui Miguel

-------João Pedro-------------Kishna

Victor Andrade

The Final

vs. Chelsea

CLFinalvsChelsea-May2020_zpsbc4bbdac.png

Match Stats.

Yesssssss! Just unbelievable. A ridiculous game off football.

That man Victor Andrade turned up as he always does in a big game and gave us the lead inside the opening ten minutes. Unfortunately Chelsea equalised just minutes later. We bossed things in terms of possession, and Chelsea got frustrated at times and were either snatching at chances or resorting to shots from either long range. I twas level at 1-1 at the break, but things then just exploded. Two goals in two minutes gave us a 3-1 lead within seven minutes of the second half, and everytime we went forward we looked like we could score. Chelsea though got one back to3-2 in the 63rd minute, but we then went 4-2 ahead just six minutes later. With fourteen minutes left however they got it back to 4-3, and I got a bit worried. Things weren't helped when we had to play the final seven minutes with ten men after losing a man to injury after making all three subs. We hung on though, and the Champions League was ours!

I'm still stunned. We'd have four tight games with them before, and then served up this in a final! Madness.

What did I tell you? Amazing stuff, I'd have you at Benfica irl. any day of the year! :D

So whats next? Are you gonna try and win the UEFA Super Cup and the CWC?

Haha I wish - the money would be most welcome!

I'm not sure really, noever been one to be bothered about those competitions. The European Championships are this summer, so I might see what happens after that. Kind of feeling like there's not much left to do with Benfica. This certainly wasn't in the script.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - May 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-May2020_zps01d3b2b5.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-May2020_zps1be8e6b5.png

Well we didnt quite make it the entire leaguse campaign unbeaten, but we did finish a massive fifteen points ahead of second place.

Our final home game of the season was a very accomplished win over Braga. Despite resting some players as the game came days after the the second leg of the Champions League semi-final, we dominated from first minute to last and put on a bit of a show for the fans to win 3-0 and complete our home season. Our final game of the season was away at Porto, and again some players were rested, this time with the upcoming cup finals in mind. Porto did have the best of it, and despite a late rally from us, they deserved the victory.

A touch disappointing not to finish unbeaten, but still it was a great way to respond after last seasons second place.

Taça de Portugal - Final

CareerSave-BenficaPortugueseFACFixtures-May2020_zpse9202135.png

Very disappointing, but more to do with the way in which we lost. Sporting started very well and and deservedly went ahead in the opening twenty minutes. We battled back into it though and got level just before the break, with youngster Joao Pedro getting the goal. We controlled the opening stages of the second half, but we were then reduced to ten men with 23 miniutes still to play. Sporting then started to really pressure us, but we held firm an even had some chances of our own. The game was heading for extra time, but in the 93rd minute Sporting grabbed a winner, when they scrambled home from a corner.

Very disappinting with the 2-1 defeat, but we had bigger fish to fry just six days later.........

Champions League - Final

CareerSave-BenficaCLFixtures-May2020_zps9102070a.png

A mad game of football, but we, just about, came out on top!

We took the lead early through to Victor Andrade, but Chelsea hit back straight away and at halftime it was 1-1. We flew out of the blocks in the second half, and after just seven minutes of the second period we were 3-1 infront thanks to goals from Choquito Rocha and Joao Pedro! Just after the hour though Chelsea had pulled it back to 3-2, but we responded and six minutes later it was 4-2 when Rui Miguel slotted home!! With fourteen minutes to go though Chelsea got it back to 4-3, and we then went down to ten men when Rui Miguel got injured after we had made all three subs. A anxious final seven minutes ensued, but we held on to win 4-3.

I knew big time Victor Andrade had to play :cool:

A good season overall and you showed some good form in the league. Job well done :applause:

Big Game Victor. I like the sound of that. :cool:

And thanks alot. Was a bit mad at times, especially the latter stages of the Champions League. But all good fun nontheless.

Running out of superlatives here, Tom. Fantastic achievement, considering your budget and club status. Surely about time you moved onto a new challenge? There can't be much more you can do there?

Thanks alot. Got to be honest though, we are now the 8th best team in Europe according to the latest rankings. :D

And moving on is certainly a possibility, but I'm very open minded right now. I'm more than happy to stay, but if something comes up after Euro 2020, then you never know..........

wow that's some going to be 8th best in Europe. Interested to see how the summer goes now. Will there be much movement in the transfer window?

Well to be fair in my three years at the club we've been in the Europa League Semi-Finals, a losing Champions League Finalist, and a Champions League winner. When you conisder that, it's not a surprise how our stock has risen.

In terms of outgoings there'll probably be a fair bit of movement. There are some players who only have a year left on their contracts who won't agree to new ones, and annoyingly two of them who only joined last year. Both were part agent owned and at the time wouldn't take less than two year deals. Now theyre fully owned by Benfica, but they want daft wage increases. Very disappoinging. :thdn:

That's one of the biggest issues I'm facing with this years version. I'm having unrealistic wage demands put on me so losing a lot of players each season, only for them to sign on for less elsewhere.

Like you say it's disappointing, but think of it this way, they're not winning as much when leaving you :D

That's one of the biggest issues I'm facing with this years version. I'm having unrealistic wage demands put on me so losing a lot of players each season, only for them to sign on for less elsewhere.

Like you say it's disappointing, but think of it this way, they're not winning as much when leaving you :D

It's not that they're asking for particularly unreasonable wages, they just won't stick within my wage structure. And to be fair that is understandable - it's pretty low at £25,000 p/w.

Just finished reading all 7 pages, gotta say I enjoyed it, it's like a book of sorts with surprising turns towards Brighton and Benfica, I had no idea where this was going when I started :)

Also I must notice that most of your Benfica players don't really seem to be world class (with a few exceptions) and yet you've done so much with them. So it really must be down to good man management, using the right tactics at the right time and getting the very best out of everyone. I guess the same goes for your previous clubs, and it's really encouraging to see, congratz and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Btw, do you adapt roles, shouts and maybe even formation during and prior to a match for specific opponents, or is everything preset and same throughout a longer period?

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Review 2019/20 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

Results 1 - Results 2

Final Table (1st - Champions)

A terrific league campaign as we responded to last seasons disappointing campaign in fine style. We were terrific in the the opening tow thirds of the season, winning nineteen of our twenty games. We won only four of our final ten games, but by then I was rotating the team with the Champions League in mind, and the hard work had already been done in all honesty. Ton finish fifteen points ahead of second place was just brilliant.

Delighted. I hope it can be retained this time.

Taça de Portugal

Runners-up

We got to the final for the second season in a row, but unfortunately this time we were defeated. The run to the final was pretty comfortable, even as I rested/rotated first team members. We only conceded once in the run to the final, and seldom looked in danger of losing a game. However, we couldn't quite do it in the final and lost out to a 93rd minute winner as we lost 2-1.

A tough defeat to take, even with us playing with ten men for over twety minutes.

Taça da Liga

Winners

A superb victory, simply because it was against Porto. The group stage was frustrating as we let in four goals in three games. We put in a great performance in the semi-final away at Academica as Rui Miguel scored all four goals in our 4-1 win. The final against Porto was a very close affair, but we came out on top and took the trophy thanks to a 1-0 win.

Not vintage stuff, but delighted to win all the same.

Champions League League

Winners

Just amazing stuff. Going through two qualifying rounds and then going all the way to the final and winning it was not something I envisaged. Once we got past those qualifiers, the group stage proved to be quite easy, with us and Chelsea finishing level on fourteen points and only dropping points against each other after two 1-1 draws.

After winning grup we got a very tough draw in the 1st knockout round - Italian Champions Milan. We squeezed past them on away goals after a 1-1 draw in Milan in the first leg, then a 0-0 draw back in Portugal. The games were two of the best I've had in this career - super football on display and pure battles with neither side giving an inch. Two totally different games were then played out against PSV in the quarter finals. We battered them 5-1 in the first leg, but then needed two late goals in the second just to finish up a 4-3, meaning a rather crazy 8-5 aggregate win. The semi-finals against Lyon were just as mad. After a 0-0 draw in the first leg, Lyon were favourites to qualify for the final. The led three times in the second leg, but we pegged them back each time. The final equaliser came in the 93rd minute, and I was thrilled - we were through to the final on away goals!

I've already said all I can about the final. We won it 4-3.

Other Info

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

Loads of players used because there was an awful lot of rotation, particularly in the second half of the campaign. Only one player started more than 35 games, and that kind of speaks for its self. Jose Alejandro Tapia disappointed a little after he joined us in January, but that wasn't really helped by the fact we fell out. The squad certainly needs trimming, and Tapia may be one of those to go.

Plenty of transfers, a further eight players left the club for free who couldn't fit on the screnshot! There was plenty of investment, but all of it was on young players who could make the club alot of profit. In fact the oldest to join was Guilherem Siqueira, (33), and Jordi (25) who came in as back-up players. The rest were all 22 or younger. Great profit was made from the sale of Joaquim Silva, even if over £10million of the agreed fee went to his former club due to a sell-on clause.

The finances are looking in much better shape these days. Alot of that has been down to the sale of Silva, but it is also down to better performances in the Champions League. Player sales will always play a part in us making money though. This year will be no different.

Top 3 Players

Mattheus

He didn't play from the end of February after picking up an injury, but just look at what he achieved before then. Really drove us on in the first half of the campaign.

Lorenzo Pezzi

Rotated a fair bit and had a few niggles, but a really terrific goal return.

Brayan Restrepo

Just as with last season, an absolute warrior for us at the back.

What Next

I'm not really sure in all honesty. A few jobs may come up after this summers European Championships, so I'll see what happens. One thing is for sure - my contract expires in 2022, and I don't think I'll be signing a new one.

How are my Former Clubs Doing?

Bukovyna

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season    |  League            |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2015/16  |  Premyer-Liha  |  9th         |                                                       |  Beaten in Europa Lge Playoff Rnd
| 2016/17  |  Premyer-Liha  |  16th       |  Relegated                                     |  
| 2017/18  |  Persha Liha     |  9th         |                                                       |  
| 2018/19  |  Persha Liha     |  1st          |  Promoted as Champs                   |  
| 2019/20  |  Premyer-Liha  |  13th       |                                                       |  

A cracking season as the team survived in the Premyer-Liha after promotion. They had some great results on the way, and were unbeaten in four matches against Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev! However, they sacked their manager at the end of the season after he had expressed an interest in joining another club.

Brighton

| Season    |  League            |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
| 2017/18  |  Premier Lge    |  20th       |  Relegated                                     |
| 2018/19  |  Champ'ship     |  9th         |                                                       |
| 2019/20  |  Champ'ship     |  16th       |                                                       |

Another veyr poor season as their slide continues. Dougie Freedman was sacked midway through the season after patchy form, but returning boss Oscar Garcia did little better and they ended up just below midtable. A poor showing.

Just finished reading all 7 pages, gotta say I enjoyed it, it's like a book of sorts with surprising turns towards Brighton and Benfica, I had no idea where this was going when I started :)

Also I must notice that most of your Benfica players don't really seem to be world class (with a few exceptions) and yet you've done so much with them. So it really must be down to good man management, using the right tactics at the right time and getting the very best out of everyone. I guess the same goes for your previous clubs, and it's really encouraging to see, congratz and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Btw, do you adapt roles, shouts and maybe even formation during and prior to a match for specific opponents, or is everything preset and same throughout a longer period?

Well I like to tell a bit of story aswell as document how things are going, hence why I put a little bit of writing where possible into my updates.

As you say we haven't go many, (if any), "world class" players, but we do have some excellent players who fit how I want to play. Mattheus for example is a superb player - how he hasn't appeared for Brazil yet is beyond me. But alot of it is just down to just finding players that suit how I want to play, whether they're top players or not isn't always something that matters, aslong as they work well together.

And on your last point regarding tactics, I've barely changed a thing since coming up with my latest main system at the start of the 2018/19 season. The most that I tend to do is switch between strategy during a match.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Season Preview 2020/21 - Benfica

Board Expectations

Liga ZON Sagres - Win It

Taça de Portugal - Not Important

Taça da Liga - Not Important

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira - Not Important

Champions League - Reach 1st KO Round

UEFA Super Cup - Win It

Personal Expectations

Liga ZON Sagres - Retain It

Taça de Portugal - I Want It Back

Taça da Liga - Bloody The Youngsters

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira - Win It - It's Against Sporting

Champions League - Quarter Finals

UEFA Super Cup - Win It

Greater demands from the board this season, as they finally expect us to win the title - and I'd say that's well within our grasp! The expectations for the Champions League are bigger than before, but I think we can advance further than what the board want. As for the Super Cup, it's against Leverkusen - it's well winnable. I'm pleaed with that the boards expectations are finally starting to match my own.

Budgets

Transfer: £51,496,378

Wages: £825,879 p/w (Currently spending £466,443)

Balance: £39,839,958 (+£29,616,776)

Great transfer budget, not that I expect us to use much of it. Some young players may come again, but little or nothing for the immediate first team.

Fantastic triumphs both in the league and in the CL!

Thanks delta. :)

The hard part now is going to be trying to replicate such things. Despite winning it last season, I still don't think winning the Champions League is a realistic target for the club.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - Preseason 2020/21 - Benfica

Transfers

CareerSave-BenficaTransfers-Summer2020_zps4b18c8ee.png

After winning the Champions League last season, I thought it was the perfect time to start to rejuvinate things. My motto is to always keep moving forward and to never stand still. Keeping the whole squad together after last season was very tempting, but things always need to progress.

A couple of players also had to go due to only having one year left on their contracts and not agreeing to new deals within my £25,000 p/w limit. Quintino Cetin and Davi were two such players. When they both joined in summer 2019 they were part agent owned and wouldn't take more than two year deals. Despite buying them outright, I couldn't get them to agree to new terms, so unfortunately both had to go. However, we got great money for them after they had cost just £2.2million between them a year earlier.

Lisandro Lopez wanted a new challenge, and at 30 years old I thought it was time to let him go. Neilton had had a few problems with injuries last season, and again we made great profit on him after buying him for just £120,000 three years ago. Victor Andrade was on the top wage and would have had to have been sold next year. To get as much as we did for him was great business.

Here are the players that have come into the club;

Angelo Henrique

I signed this player back when he was fifteen years old and had high hopes for him. He hasn't been developed well by the AI, but there's still a good player bursting to come out.

Daniel Felipe

Signed permanently after his loan spell last year. There's obviously alot of ability there, it's just his mentals that really need work.

Alcir

Wow. Just wow.

Baltazar

Solid looking youngster who still has some improving to do. Unfortunately he can't play for us until January having already played for Botafogo and Atletico Paranaense

Daniel Nunes

Our most expensive signing of the summer, and also our youngest. He really could be a super player in the future, and I certainly have high hopes for him.

Choi Ki-Goo

A decent freebie who can do a couple of roles for us. Might also make us a few quid merchandise sales.

Fabio Carboni

This signing is not someone that was essentially needed, but he looks like he could really be a good player and I couldn't refuse the chance to bring him in. Can be bought at anytime for £2million.

Preseason Friedlies

CareerSave-PreseasonFixtures2020-21_zps9676a35c.png

Some good workouts for us, though not as many as I would have liked. With Euro 2020 not finishing until July 12th and The Olympics taking place I didnt have many players available at times, so it would have been foolish to play too many and tire out the players we did have. But still some good morale booting wins heading into the season. We open up with a home game against newly promoted Aves.

Bruno Gama's Management Career - August 2020 - Benfica

Liga ZON Sagres

CareerSave-BenficaLgeFixtures-Aug2020_zps7d7eea3a.png

CareerSave-BenficaLgeTable-Aug2020_zpsc0749558.png

Three wins from three, but I'm not happy with the conceded goals.

We started with a comfortable 3-1 win against newly promoted Aves. We dominated the game and comfortably led 2-0. With seven minutes to go though Aves got a goal back from the penalty spot, but we wrapped it up in stoppage time. A 2-1 win followed at Nacional with Jose Alejandro Tapia grabbing the winner twelve minutes into the second half after an early goal from Joao Pedro had been equalised. The month finished with a 3-2 win at home to Rio Ave, but they caused us all sorts of problems with their narrow diamond. We trailed early, but were 3-1 up just after the half hour mark. Rio Ave got back into it on the stroke of halftime, but we held on in the second half.

After the international break we face Estoril at home.

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira

CareerSave-PortugueseSuperCup2020-21_zpsbc655e09.png

This ended up being played after our first league game of the season due to both sides having players away at the Olympics. Sporting fired in shots from long range, but we created the better chances. Sporting nicked it though with eighteen minutes to go after a scramble in the penalty box. A close game, but the 1-0 defeat means Sporting take the trophy.

UEFA Super Cup

CareerSave-BenficaSuperCupFixture-Aug2020_zps28aeac93.png

Another trophy added to the collection, but what a crazy game.

2-0 up at halftime and absolutely cruising, but Leverkisuen came out in the second half much better and got back into it. We soon restored out two goal advantage going 3-1 ahead, but Leverkusen got back to 3-3 as we fell apart to take the game to extra time. The game was seemingly heading to penalties, but Mattheus hit a superb freekick to make it 4-3, and then Arnaldo Franca got his second of the game on the counter make it 5-3 and secure the trophy!

Champions League League Group Stage Draw

After winning the competition last season we were of course amongst the top seeds for this years group draw. Barcelona were in the second seeds though, and Arsenal in with the third seeds. We could have really come out with a group of death.

CareerSave-UEFACLGroupDraw-Aug2020_zpsb6183206.png

By no means an easy draw. We had two really tough games against Lyon last season, and travelling to Amerstdam and St. Peterburg to face Ajax and Zenit respectively are ulikely to be easy to negotiate. We open the group with Ajax at home.

Well apart from the mighty Benfica, CL runner up and winners in the alst two seasons. :)

Great job, really enjoyable read, i log in everyday to see if there is an update.

I personally say those achievements, especially the season we won it, were more down to luck than judgement!!

Glad you enjoy reading aswell, it's always nice to hear. :)

Not a bad group that! Good work against Leverkusen, too!

Alcir looks like he could be a top player, a steal at just over £2m

More goals conceded than I'd have liked against them though! :D

As for Alcir, I'm thrilled with him. He's got unreal technical attributes.

Archived