Euro 2008...OOTP Style!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre-Euro 2008 Friendlies, 31st May 2008

French Radio: "...of course France being the only side at the tournament to hold two friendlies prior to the main event, but this most recent result won't sit too well with the French fans, a poor 1-1 draw with Uruguay in which the South American nation had enough chances to win it. We took the lead mid-way through the first half courtesy of Thierry Henry getting his head on a Ribery corner, but it was doom-and-gloom thereout, and the Uruguayans got a late equaliser through Gonzalez. The major question here, is where was the form shown by the French just a few days ago against Ecuador? "NepentheZ" will be hoping his side can be a bit more consistent in Euro 2008, where just now..."

France 1-1 Uruguay

French Stats

"...the German national team suffering a shock 2-1 defeat at the hands of Serbia in Gelsenkirchen. The sides were both fairly similar stats-wise but it was the Serbians who took their chances, goals from Nikola Zigic and Dejan Stankovic turning around a 1-0 deficit after Miroslav Klose had given them the lead, finishing off Ballack's through ball. They will also need to improve if they are to escape Group C, which is already touted as the "Group of Death".

Germany 1-2 Serbia

German Stats

Note: That is all the pre-tournament friendlies! Now I can progress to 1st June, where I await the remaining squads. Then the tournament can begin! First of all, I'll pose a few questions to you all:

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008?

How will the host nations fare?

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"?

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages?

Can Greece retain their title?

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? Holland :(

How will the host nations fare? Crash and burn - out in the group stages ;)

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? Italy & Spain

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? Germany?

Can Greece retain their title? No chance!

I thankyou.

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? France or the team that comes top in "the group of death"

How will the host nations fare? Both out in group stages

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? Germany and Spain

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? One of the teams in group C will

Can Greece retain their title? Nein!

I am not taking part in this, but still I'll answer :)

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? Spain

How will the host nations fare? One will qualify for 1/4 final

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? Spain and Germany

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? One from group of death

Can Greece retain their title? Certainly no

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? Spain

How will the host nations fare? Both out in group stage

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? Spain and Italy

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? Germany and possibly Portugal

Can Greece retain their title? Unfortunately no :( I'll try and prove myself wrong though :p

Pre-Euro 2008 Friendly, 27th May 2008

French TV: "Earlier tonight, France were involved in a pre-Euro 2008 friendly against South American nation Ecuador. Our correspondant will now re-cap tonight's events".

Correspondant: "That's right, and tonight the French national team defeated Ecuador 4-2. The visiting side took the lead through Caicedo, and it took until the second half the "Les Bleus" to find an equaliser, when Nicolas Anelka rifled the ball home from 20 yards after Salas had failed the clear. We fell behind again to a Benitez goal, but Thierry Henry put us back ahead, being set through by Vieira to score from an angle. The latter was then sent off with just 7 minutes remaining, most likely meaning he'll miss their first Euro 2008 game. We took the lead though with just 3 minutes remaining, a wonderful goal from Henry from outside the box, after Govou's pass. The result was sealed in stoppage time, Karim Benzema scoring from 65 yards after the Ecuadorian goalkeeper had come up for a corner, and failed to get back in time for the striker to finish. Overall it was a good warm-up for France, and was good to see three of the four strikers in the squad get on the score-sheet. Hopefully we'll be able to do well at qualifying for the knockout stages of Euro 2008. Back to the studio..."

France 4-2 Ecuador

French Stats

:thup:

Excellent work.

Can I ask Wisla, if possible, can you ensure Henry always plays as the Right Striker. And when Benzema comes on (If its you that makes the subs) - Bring him on for Henry in the RS role. They're the only 2 strikers that can play there in that squad. :)

Alex - if my Austrian team selection isn't in before the deadline of 12pm tomorrow feel free to pass my team onto someone else. bermybhoy is next on the reserve list isn't he?

I had a busy last night, and I've a had really busy day today and I've just not had time to sit down for an hour or so and have a look through my team. The way things are looking I think I'm going to be busy some of tomorrow morning helping a friend out with something so I may not have time then also. I just thought I'd let you know now to save me holding the game up for everyone else.

Ta.

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? Italy

How will the host nations fare? neither will progress from the groups - sorry guys!

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? tricky, but i'll have to go with Spain & Germany too.

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? Undoubtably one from Group C, though i reckon one more might as well.....

Can Greece retain their title? No chance!!

Need teamsheets from Austria (aaberdeenn) and Poland (Tilla).

I'll upload another save after this so you can take a look at your competition, and would like the rest of you to get your team-sheets for your first round of games (I can post the first round of fixtures here if you'd prefer) if you haven't already. I've got most of them already though so this is only directed to a few people, I should have asked this from you when I asked for your squads!

Alex - if my Austrian team selection isn't in before the deadline of 12pm tomorrow feel free to pass my team onto someone else. bermybhoy is next on the reserve list isn't he?

I had a busy last night, and I've a had really busy day today and I've just not had time to sit down for an hour or so and have a look through my team. The way things are looking I think I'm going to be busy some of tomorrow morning helping a friend out with something so I may not have time then also. I just thought I'd let you know now to save me holding the game up for everyone else.

Ta.

That's fine if you're busy, could you get it to me by tonight?

Sent my team.

I basically had to use the team given me off wikipedia and guess the positions because my Football Manager disk is in my laptop, which has just gone to PC world

When will you get it back? I could have sent you some screenies of the squad to help you, I've e-mailed you back about your squad, but you sent me a 16-man squad when you need 23.

Can I ask Wisla, if possible, can you ensure Henry always plays as the Right Striker. And when Benzema comes on (If its you that makes the subs) - Bring him on for Henry in the RS role. They're the only 2 strikers that can play there in that squad. :)

That's fine, he was already in the right striker slot :thup:.

Good work Wiss!! I do miss doing my OOTP Managers game. :(

Bambi \o/ great to see you back.

Will update the reserve list:

1. bermybhoy

2. Bamble

When will you get it back? I could have sent you some screenies of the squad to help you, I've e-mailed you back about your squad, but you sent me a 16-man squad when you need 23.

I have no idea when I will be getting it back. I'm not sure how long a health check takes in PC World.

Could I have a few screenies please :)

PM them to me if you like.

Edit: PC world have just rang to say my laptop is ready. Won't be getting it until later on though.

I have no idea when I will be getting it back. I'm not sure how long a health check takes in PC World.

Could I have a few screenies please :)

PM them to me if you like.

Edit: PC world have just rang to say my laptop is ready. Won't be getting it until later on though.

PM sent :thup: just the squad screenie for now, but let me know if you want the player search ones.

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? Spain, if Robert wasn't their manager, so Italy :D

How will the host nations fare? They will do awful. No further than the group stages.

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? Probably Italy and Spain

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? Yes, I think Germany will

Can Greece retain their title? :D

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? England... oh wait... whoops! Spain then :D

How will the host nations fare? I would be surprise if they got 5 points between them. Both out of the group stages.

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? I believe unfortunately Italy & Spain

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? Yeah, Germany :(

Can Greece retain their title? More chance of Austria winning... sorry James! ;)

Right, I'm sorting out my squad just now. I'll get my 23 man squad to you via PM before 8pm hopefully.

I'll leave sending a tactic until the deadline before the first group games if that's okay?

That's fine :thup: I'll let everyone know before the first round of games what I need from them.

If possible, could the Croatia manager (weeman27bob) send me his preferred starting XI asap, as the first match is Croatia-Portugal (I have Portugal's starting XI), it'd be best if I got yours first!

Okay, I've sent my 23 man squad.

Knowing practically nothing about Austrian football I've picked as close as I can, the same squad that they picked for the real life European Championships, just for a bit of fun really. I'm not expected to do well so I thought I'd try this approach and see how I can do.

Let's see how they do with a good manager.. ;)

Question time;

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? There's quite a few who could win it, really hard to predict with this being a game and all, anything can happen. I'd expect Italy and France to be there or there abouts come the latter stages of the tournament though.

How will the host nations fare? Expecting both to go out in the group stages, although if we (Austria) can sneek through to the quarter finals I'll be delighted.

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? Just for the hell of it I'll go with Italy & Russia.

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? Yeah, I'm sure a couple will. Well one from group C definitely will anyway.

Can Greece retain their title? Er... no. And as said previously, there's more chance of Austria winning the title.

Here's the next download link right after squad selection. This is for the attention of the following teams:

Croatia

Spain

Austria

Italy

Czech Republic

Romania

I need team-sheets from you ahead of your first round fixtures, you can either use the save or ask me to send you a screenie of your squad. I have a team-sheet from everyone else, but if any of the managers who's teams played in pre-tournament friendlies (Holland, France, Germany, Switzerland) would like to make any changes to their squad, please let me know.

Euro 2008 - Group Stage Fixtures Round 1

Group A

Holland vs Austria

Poland vs Turkey

Group B

Croatia vs Portugal

Switzerland vs Sweden

Group C

Russia vs Spain

Italy vs Germany

Group D

Czech Republic vs France

Romania vs Greece

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew Predicts: Group A

Valquez: "Good evening, and welcome to the first of our special prediction shows in the build-up to the first game of Euro 2008. Tonight I'm joined by my tournament co-commentator, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, who will give his long awaited view on the teams in the tournament and who he believes is in with a shot of winning. I hand you over."

Honeydew: "Thank you Luis. I'm sure many of you will be looking forward to this year's tournament in Austria and Switzerland, and it's the group of the former we look at today, Group A.

Austria - Group Stages

The fans will be behind their nation in numbers, however there just isn't enough talent in the squad to get far. They're in a group where, they could well pull off a shock against Turkey or Poland and try to get 2nd, but it's highly doubtful. Mainly, it's the frontline, where's a recognisable name? It's a dilemma for the Austrian manager but he'll have to make do with what he's got. In midfield, Ivanschitz will be crucial to their attacking potential and the likes of Scharner and Stranzl at the back will need to be on-form if they can keep out the threat of the other sides in the group.

Holland - Semi-Final

Should have no problem qualifying with a very strong squad (particularly the midfield, with a vast array of talent), however they could be pipped to the final. Should at least make it to the semi-final stage.

Poland - Group Stage

A tough decision here, but I think the youthful inexperience in their squad could well be costly for the Polish, and unless they can prove me wrong they will be joining Austria in a first round exit in my opinion. However, I'm sure some lesser-known players will suprise us all. They'll look towards theier midfield to provide support for their lone striker.

Turkey - Quarter-Finals

Will be looking to finish 2nd and they should be able to. Question marks are over the inclusion of Melvut Erding and Nobre, two uncapped players off the back of great seasons, will they be able to give the good? Nihat will be crucial up front, they'll need their midfield (with a few Premiership names) to perform."

If I can beat Romania, then get draws against France and Czech Republic I might stand a chance of going through, not expecting to much though

IF is the correct word... ;)

wisla, could you post a screenie of my squad on here so i can send you the team. i'm at work so obviously can't download the save.... cheers!

In you honest opinion, who will win Euro 2008? Switzerland ;)

How will the host nations fare? Winners and Failures

Which two teams will make it through Group C a.k.a. the "Group of Death"? Germany and Spain

Will any of the favourites crash out at the group stages? Whoever goes out in Group C

Can Greece retain their title? With Switzerland competing, no chance. ;)

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew Predicts: Group B

Valquez: "Now I hand you back to Dr. Bunsen Honeydew for his next prediction installation."

Honeydew: "Thanks Luis. Today our focus is on Group B...

Croatia - Quarter-Finals

They have a decent squad, with a particularly strong midfield with the likes of Modric and Kranjcar with Eduardo up front. They should be able to beat both Sweden and Switzerland, their game with Portugal should decide who wins the group.

Portugal - Finalists

I think Portugal can do very well at this tournament, and I think that they can reach this year's final. They have a very strong squad, and could show their prowess this time around after failure in 2004. They'll need Cristiano Ronaldo to shine for them against the "bigger" nations if they want to prove themselves.

Sweden - Group Stage

Sweden have a great attacking line with the likes of Goitom, Ibrahimovic and Elmander, but other areas of the field may hinder them, and I expect Croatia to pip them to qualifying. They'll run them close, though.

Switzerland - Group Stage

They'll do better than Austria in my opinion, and could possibly gain a victory in this group, but I doubt they can progress. Stars such as Alexander Frei will need to have his shooting boots on the the Swiss, who knows, perhaps they can suprise me."

Archived