Building your own training schedules, Gone! Madness

Hi,

I loved building my own training schedules, I had youth schedules, I had schedules for young players, reserve players, first team players and older players. These were all broken down into each position as well.

Each new game started with a day of building all these individual training schedules.

Now with FM13 its gone. Dissapointed does not sum it up really.

I know FM13 has just been released but i think this should be the first thing on your list for FM14.

SI have taken a brave decision to move the training in to what is actually a more realistic direction, but I think thy'd be the first to admit that this is only the beginning.

I'd like to see them develop it more so that managers can approach training in different styles and ways.

I dont see the problem, the new training is brilliant, it finally requires some attention, before you would just make up some super schedules, and then leave it for 30 seasons except to put new players into these schedules, now you have to think week by week what you want to do, and you can change things in seconds, a bit more depth and it will be close to perfect.

I dont see the problem, the new training is brilliant, it finally requires some attention, before you would just make up some super schedules, and then leave it for 30 seasons except to put new players into these schedules, now you have to think week by week what you want to do, and you can change things in seconds, a bit more depth and it will be close to perfect.

I agree. Despite looking like a much simpler system, I'm far more involved now than I've ever been.

It's a football manager game, not "Training Schedule Builder Tycoon". If training can be simplified, I'm all for it. Ideally, you should just set players to train, and tell the coaches to hone their skills for whatever position and role they will be playing, and the team as a whole to train according to your teams philosophy ... hey, wait a sec .... isn't that exactly what we've got now, in FM 2013??

Oooh my only criticism is they left out an overall bar progress. Think "team strengths" that you get on a club selection screen at Pro Evo (or FIFA whatever), that highlights the teams overall weakness. So if they're poor at attacking, not stats wise but like they just have poor attacking sense at the moment (think Sunderland right now) we could snap the training to high attacking intensity?

Or maybe I just haven't seen that page yet! XD

I agree I think the new match training is really good and aids more realism to the game, but the individual training should of stayed the same so it could but built to your own requirements rather than just generic training routines.

The training system should have as much depth as the tactics system. At the end of the day each manager will want different things. In the modern game its more about being a good coach rather than a manager.

You can only choose one specific attribute to improve, or choose a position in which the default attributes for that position are trained.

In FM12 i had great success with a young defendsive midfielder playing as a striker. The guy was strong and quick with good heading attributes after a couple of season under a personalized training program he was worth £15m as a striker.

Explain how we can do this in FM13?

I did quite enjoy doing training schedules, although it was one of things you just did at the start of the game and then ignored...

The old system was a bit to formulaic (not quite the word I'm looking for but close), in that you just set it up in a certain way according to how a bunch of equations interact with each other, the new system feels less like that which is nice, it's also much more realistic...

I did quite enjoy doing training schedules, although it was one of things you just did at the start of the game and then ignored...

The old system was a bit to formulaic (not quite the word I'm looking for but close), in that you just set it up in a certain way according to how a bunch of equations interact with each other, the new system feels less like that which is nice, it's also much more realistic...

I know what you mean. I spent a lot of time creating my schedules when the new system was introduced (FM06?) and then just transferred them across into each new version.

Apart from putting players into schedules I barely touched team training in seven years :D

The training system should have as much depth as the tactics system. At the end of the day each manager will want different things. In the modern game its more about being a good coach rather than a manager.

You can only choose one specific attribute to improve, or choose a position in which the default attributes for that position are trained.

In FM12 i had great success with a young defendsive midfielder playing as a striker. The guy was strong and quick with good heading attributes after a couple of season under a personalized training program he was worth £15m as a striker.

Explain how we can do this in FM13?

You would have to retrain him as a striker first, then choose a striker role (eg. poacher) to train him in to get the specific attributes up.

This screen is a really useful one as you can see which attributes are worked on in each different area.

That wont work as well. Players learn faster while young so you lose some ability to mould their attributes while you are retraining their position. It would be a nice compromise if once you elect to train a player in a new position you gain access to the training roles for that position.

That wont work as well. Players learn faster while young so you lose some ability to mould their attributes while you are retraining their position. It would be a nice compromise if once you elect to train a player in a new position you gain access to the training roles for that position.

You can already do that. Once you choose a new position to train the other roles appear as options.

Playing around with it, I think I also lean more towards this new training system being better on the whole. While I do honestly miss being able to tweak the schedules to my exact needs, I can sort of understand why they are gone. My main nitpick is that I can't set both a specific attribute AND a role to train. Ideally, I'd like to be able to train my full-backs on the full-back training programme for the most part, but tell him to concentrate particularly on, say for example, his positioning as that attribute is particularly weak in comparison to his others. But, off the top of my head, that really is my only real nitpick. Losing the tweaking of my schedules is something I can grow to adapt to.

Realism eh?

But the game's dynamics are based on numerical rendition of real life's skills, so removing the chance for the human manager to customize a player's training and therefore to mould his development (ie. how and which attributes will raise and which ones will drop) is definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Another part of the game that is left to the AI and to the code... as if it wasn't already filled by "trial and error" and "spin the wheel" bits...

Also, the claim for "realism" ends the moment we know every schedule trains a PRESET and FIXED set of attributes... I'm rather sure coaches still use some degree of customization in training regimes. Maybe not in terms of actual training drills, but surely they don't use the one-size-fits-all approach.

Frankly the new training module manages to be both dumbed down and convoluted at the same time.

I can't get my head around it either, and tbh I have just left training all together.

I keep getting a message saying I need a defensive coach, and some players are unhappy about having no defensive coach...?

(I've got no assistant manager either, finding it well hard to get a decent assitant manager, who didn't ask for a wage more than I can offer.. but that's a different issue) And I'm unbeaten in the League and top anyway, so I'm not too concerned.. I hope to be able to get/afford an aisstant manager after I win promotion to the Premier League.

It's strange this year, how SI have not only changed things, but completely removed them? (match engine overview screens/ general UI etc)

In the past they have always changed things, but they have also always left an option to switch back to the old style.

So for people who had no problem with how it was before/ prefer to stick with the old style, they could switch it back.

Anyway, so long has not touching/bothering with the new training system at all, doesn't have any negative effects (which it hasn't so far for me) then I guess I can live with it. I would still prefer to have the old traning schedules back, but hey ho.. 'I want' never gets. :D

Archived