Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jibby's not too bad, at least he's up front about being a WUM and he can be quite funny (although, rarely intended). He does seem to have a slightly worrying fascination with Chelsea for a supposed non-Chelsea fan. Think he's a bit like those 8 year old boys who run up to girls in the playground, punch them and run away cause they're not emotionally developed enough to verbalise their feelings.

Jibby's not too bad, at least he's up front about being a WUM and he can be quite funny (although, rarely intended). He does seem to have a slightly worrying fascination with Chelsea for a supposed non-Chelsea fan. Think he's a bit like those 8 year old boys who run up to girls in the playground, punch them and run away cause they're not emotionally developed enough to verbalise their feelings.

No, it's funnier as WUM (to me, but hey I'm easily pleased :D ) because I'm more blue than most and at least I was local, just bitter at all the 'all of the sudden' blues who couldn't care less about us once upon a time suddenly turned up in their corporate suits pushing the prices up when the Bridge went 'trendy'. Irony eh?? :D Roy Keane nailed it once waffling on about prawns between pieces of bread, but least they had soul when it was un-trendy.

Well over 200+ games attended at the Bridge. Weird eh?? None for a while though. I'll return one day when 80% of you have lost interest. :)

It's always the bitter that get obsessed. To get an English lesson from a blue was pure gold mate. :D

Why bring back De Bruyne? We're pretty well stocked in his position so wouldn't really help out with covering Mikel / Romeu. As above, Chalobah could be an option though. Don't really see the point in buying for that position in January as hopefully both Mikel and Romeu will be around for a long time yet.

It's moments like these when we shouldn't have got rid of Meireles. Thought he was a good player and although wouldn't have played too much in the current formation, I think he would have adapted.

It's a shame for Romeu because he was just starting to get some games :thdn:

I think Luiz could be effective cover at DM (at least against Villa and less capable teams), he'd keep play ticking over well with his passing, and his energy and pace would be a good asset in the middle. Obviously his positioning is suspect, but he'd be no more of a risk at CM than CB, and we're playing him there anyway so might as well give it a go.

I think Luiz could be effective cover at DM (at least against Villa and less capable teams), he'd keep play ticking over well with his passing, and his energy and pace would be a good asset in the middle. Obviously his positioning is suspect, but he'd be no more of a risk at CM than CB, and we're playing him there anyway so might as well give it a go.
You mean his useless attempts at hollywood passes?

You mean his useless attempts at hollywood passes?

Thing is, he can pass the ball, but attempting those from a centre back position is a lot more difficult than doing so in midfield. A little more chance of some of those connecting if he's doing it from the middle rather than the back. Obviously it'd be better if he cut them out, but as he's not going to, might as well make some use of them if possible

I do think he tries to play too many Hollywood passes rather than the simpler passes that may create more. I don't think it would hurt playing him at DM, the only problem is look how much he goes forward at CB, now he will be an extra 10-20m further forward all game :D

Isn't the whole point of a holding midfielder to be someone who stays back at all times and ensures the team doesn't get exposed on the break? I mean the clue is in the name, a midfielder who holds back. Just don't see how David Luiz fits in that position, he'd be caught too far forward all the time and continually leave the team massively exposed.

• Administrators

It can be; there's many ways to approach what the two in the 4-2-3-1 actually do. Benitez clearly wants them back, defend with six and attack with four. Di Matteo was more flexible and encouraged Ramires/Lampard/Essien to attack whilst Mikel sat and really went 5/5 (although the downfall here was Cole and Ivanovic both attacked too, so it was 3/7 and not 5/5 or better).

It can be; there's many ways to approach what the two in the 4-2-3-1 actually do. Benitez clearly wants them back, defend with six and attack with four. Di Matteo was more flexible and encouraged Ramires/Lampard/Essien to attack whilst Mikel sat and really went 5/5 (although the downfall here was Cole and Ivanovic both attacked too, so it was 3/7 and not 5/5 or better).

Yeah I could see Luiz possibly playing a more box to box midfield role (though I don't think he'd be great) but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on him to be my anchor man. Realistically I just wouldn't play him at all. This is where if you'd blooded him and kept him around as a squad player someone like Cork could be actually fairly useful.

David Luiz used to play as defensive midfielder at youth level, so playing him there wouldn't be such an absurd experiment.

Just because he played there as a youth player doesn't mean he has the discipline required to play the role.

• Administrators
Yeah I could see Luiz possibly playing a more box to box midfield role (though I don't think he'd be great) but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on him to be my anchor man. Realistically I just wouldn't play him at all. This is where if you'd blooded him and kept him around as a squad player someone like Cork could be actually fairly useful.

Cork, Bridcutt, Mancienne, Mellis, any of them :(

• Administrators
Tbf wasn't Mellis released due to some stupid prank?

Could add Sinclair and Borini to that list as well, though not to play DM of course :D

Ultimately yeah but he had 3 months left on his deal and was intending to leave because he'd never had the chance to play despite bossing the reserve league and impressing on loan. Hard to blame him, or any of them.

Putting him further forward would be suicidal.

We're apparently having a closer look at Paulinho given that Corinthians are at the CWC too, as he's been on our radar for some time now. Intrigued to see if we'll make a move for him in January.

How old is he? And has double nationality? How would he get a permission?
We need a DM, someone like Wanyama from Celtic I'd be interested in.
I am not a fan of jumping in bandwagons but this guy is for sure too good for Celtic. Not sure if good enough for Chelsea though.

Just because he played there as a youth player doesn't mean he has the discipline required to play the role.

Yes, sure, but that makes it a less risky option than placing someone who has absolutely no experience or idea of playing in that role.

• Administrators

Four, today's was an own goal. One was a penalty. One was an absolute gimme. All came against seriously sub-standard opposition.

I'm not gonna give him any credit until he gives me good reason to. In any event, we need a new striker since we're low on numbers there.

Archived